PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday, November 7th

StoopTroup
10/29/2006, 11:50 PM
Yes or no.

Should liquor stores be closed on election days?

Some say it's an old law that needs to be taken off the books.

What's your take?

GottaHavePride
10/30/2006, 12:06 AM
I say yes. Anyone not responsible enough to vote BEFORE heading to drunkytown deseves whoever they vote for.

Oh, and why shouldn't voting polls be allowed to deny someone their vote if they're drunk? I mean, if they are incapable of driving, they're REALLY incapable of voting for governmental officials.

proud gonzo
10/30/2006, 12:23 AM
ok... so you can't get just as drunk with booze you already HAVE on an election day?

GottaHavePride
10/30/2006, 12:24 AM
Same reason it's dumb they can't have the stores open on Sunday.

Ike
10/30/2006, 12:28 AM
not just no, but hell no. I don't think that alcohol can make the electorate any dumber....

besides, its a pain in the *** when its your birthday and all you want to do is take the train to drunkytown.

Ike
10/30/2006, 12:29 AM
heh..and I answered the question in the first post rather than the poll question...see what I mean about the electorate not getting any dumber :D

GottaHavePride
10/30/2006, 12:36 AM
heh.

Vaevictis
10/30/2006, 02:12 AM
They need to be open; at least half of the population is going to feel a serious need to get drunk on Nov 7. ;)

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 02:16 AM
The day to get drunk is on the 8th when the results are fully realized.

Ike
10/30/2006, 02:36 AM
You know what the absolute worst thing about drinking on election day is? You have to do it at home. Not by law of course...but its pretty saddening to walk into your favorite dive bar on election day, hoping to just drink a few brews and watch a game or the highlight reels of the day at the bar, and instead having to watch election returns. Worse still is when half the bar cheers when the new senator from East Popcorn State is announced, and you know that the only reason anyone is cheering is because Senator elect Jim Bob Clubfoot has an R or a D next to his name.

Seriously...I hate it when my birthday is on election day.

You know what I'm going to do...I'm going to throw the biggest party with all the celebrities coming to my birthday party. And there will be a ferrari cake.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 02:41 AM
You know what the absolute worst thing about drinking on election day is? You have to do it at home. Not by law of course...but its pretty saddening to walk into your favorite dive bar on election day, hoping to just drink a few brews and watch a game or the highlight reels of the day at the bar, and instead having to watch election returns. Worse still is when half the bar cheers when the new senator from East Popcorn State is announced, and you know that the only reason anyone is cheering is because Senator elect Jim Bob Clubfoot has an R or a D next to his name.

Seriously...I hate it when my birthday is on election day.

You know what I'm going to do...I'm going to throw the biggest party with all the celebrities coming to my birthday party. And there will be a ferrari cake.

For some of us though you have to realize that watching the election results come in IS like the Super Bowl.

God, it makes me so happy in my pants to sit around on election night and watch the returns come in and then do some watch party hopping.

We had a huge watch party back in '02 that honest to God was one of the best watch parties I've ever seen or heard about. We had a fully stocked bar, fully catered BBQ with everything under the sun including brisket, chicken, ribs, etc., we had a band, and we had no fewer than 6 big screen TV sets that we begged and borrowed to use for the evening (1 for TXCN, CNN, Fox News, and the three local networks). We had no fewer than 3 local candidates swing by. It was the stuff dreams are made of..yes those were the days...those were the days.

soonerboomer93
10/30/2006, 02:52 AM
*blink*

no wonder you have girl issues :pop:

:D

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 02:56 AM
*blink*

no wonder you have girl issues :pop:

:D

Heh, yeah..actually..
The night before that '02 watch party I had just gotten back together with an ex g/f who is hardcore against alcohol and she made me promise not to drink anything. I was thus unable to utilize the fully stocked bar that I partially paid for.

Ike
10/30/2006, 02:59 AM
For some of us though you have to realize that watching the election results come in IS like the Super Bowl.

God, it makes me so happy in my pants to sit around on election night and watch the returns come in and then do some watch party hopping.

It is exactly this kind of behavior that gives me the heebie jeebies about american politics.

Ike
10/30/2006, 03:00 AM
Heh, yeah..actually..
The night before that '02 watch party I had just gotten back together with an ex g/f who is hardcore against alcohol and she made me promise not to drink anything. I was thus unable to utilize the fully stocked bar that I partially paid for.

OK, thats even worse...you celebrate election returns...SOBER...because you made a promise to a girlfriend?!?!? you'll make a lousy politician. :D

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 03:09 AM
OK, thats even worse...you celebrate election returns...SOBER...because you made a promise to a girlfriend?!?!? you'll make a lousy politician. :D
Extremely lousy which is why I will never run for public office again.

Rogue
10/30/2006, 06:21 AM
Whazzis, prohibition-light?

Okla-homey
10/30/2006, 06:54 AM
Its a carryover from the days when "get out the vote" workers would hand out bottles as an enticement to get people to get off their duffs and go to the polls.

By having the liquor stores closed, such campaigns were more difficult to execute.

I agree, its a law that has outlived its usefulness, but so has the vastly more offensive law that liquor stores in Oklahoma can't sell cold beer.:mad:

crawfish
10/30/2006, 08:33 AM
"I believe we should serve liquor AT the polls"

- Kinky Friedman

nmsoonergirl
10/30/2006, 08:34 AM
Crap--i voted no, but I meant yes. I'm easily confused.

MamaMia
10/30/2006, 08:44 AM
I say they should be open, but nobody gets any spirits until they're wearing their red, white and blue 'I voted today' sticker. :)

Czar Soonerov
10/30/2006, 10:04 AM
not just no, but hell no. I don't think that alcohol can make the electorate any dumber....

besides, its a pain in the *** when its your birthday and all you want to do is take the train to drunkytown.

I guess I'll be smoking crack(again) on my b-day this year...