PDA

View Full Version : Lose weight people!!

Ike
10/29/2006, 03:30 PM
heh
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/weekinreview/29kolata.html?ex=1319774400&en=9908af1ae7053a2f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

apparently, some scientists (and I use that word in the loosest possible manner here) at the CDC have calculated that american fatness is causing airlines to expend an extra 350 million gallons of fuel. More for cars probably.

This kind of thing really ****es me off a bit. But since I can't say it better, I'll just steal a rant about it from someone else:

If nothing else, at least think about the Reefer Madness effect here. There are real health risks associated with obesity, but if people insist on putting forward these sorts of ludicrously exaggerated claims about the societal costs, it's just going to undermine the serious health messages. In just the same way that telling teenagers that their heads will explode if they smoke marijuana makes them less likely to believe you about the dangers of cocaine and methamphetamine, blaming obesity for our oil consumption is going to lead to fat people saying "Screw you," and ordering another cheeseburger. At the drive-through.

TopDaugIn2000
10/29/2006, 03:32 PM
heh

the pastor at my parent's church used to have to get 2 seats on the airplane when he traveled. so they (the airlines) made up for it.

and forget that the cars just keep getting bigger as well......

TopDaugIn2000
10/29/2006, 03:33 PM
oh, and

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9711/im002051vs6.jpg

mrowl
10/29/2006, 03:35 PM
cargo is shipped and billed by pound right?

should be the same for passengers

Ike
10/29/2006, 03:35 PM
mmm....pie

proud gonzo
10/29/2006, 03:47 PM

should be the same for passengers I am all for that idea!!! i'd have awesomely cheap airfare :D

Ike
10/29/2006, 03:48 PM
I am all for that idea!!! i'd have awesomely cheap airfare :D

you'd also have to fly in the overhead compartment.

TopDaugIn2000
I am all for that idea!!! i'd have awesomely cheap airfare :D

:les: SHUT IT!

Frozen Sooner

should be the same for passengers

Only if the really skinny people have to share seats.

lexsooner
10/29/2006, 04:02 PM
If insurance companies charge smokers extra premiums because of their increased health risks associated with smoking, why don't they also do the same with fat people and/or those who eat badly? It might give some fat people an incentive to lose weight and eat healthier. I know former smokers who have given up smoking because they don't want to pay higher medical insurance premiums.

One of my major pet peeves is seeing fat youner people - kids through middle aged adults. I realize genetics plays some role, but I have to believe lack of discipline, poor food choices, overeating, and lack of exercise also contribute to this kind of obesity. These folks may pay with their health, but we all pay, so to speak, in the end.

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2006, 04:03 PM
If insurance companies charge smokers extra premiums because of their increased health risks associated with smoking, why don't they also do the same with fat people and/or those who eat badly? It might give some fat people an incentive to lose weight and eat healthier. I know former smokers who have given up smoking because they don't want to pay higher medical insurance premiums.

They do. As do life insurance companies.

You don't usually see it because most people are under group medical instead of individual, and group medical isn't underwritten individually.

OCUDad
10/29/2006, 04:40 PM
mmm....pieDo you have any idea how much Gort weighed? And for the record, he did not eat pie. Until you change your avatar, you have no right to weigh in (heh) on this subject.

fadada1
10/29/2006, 04:50 PM
And for the record, he did not eat pie.
who wouldn't want to eat a good pie???

Ike
10/29/2006, 05:11 PM
Do you have any idea how much Gort weighed? And for the record, he did not eat pie. Until you change your avatar, you have no right to weigh in (heh) on this subject.

what do you have against giant muhfuggin robots?

sooneron
10/29/2006, 06:11 PM
heh

the pastor at my parent's church used to have to get 2 seats on the airplane when he traveled. so they (the airlines) made up for it.

and forget that the cars just keep getting bigger as well......
I guess he just glossed over that gluttony deadly sin dealio.

Okla-homey
10/29/2006, 06:48 PM
ya know how dram shop laws say bartenders can get in trouble if they serve a drink to someone they think is already drunk and that drunk goes out and hurts himself or someone else.?

Maybe its time to hold the seating hostess accountable at "The Sizzler" and similar "squat and gobble" establishments.

"Sorry you sweatpants wearing big'un, no 'all U care to eat' for you!":D

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2006, 06:52 PM
Heh.

Like you've never been banned for life from the Chinese buffet. ;)

proud gonzo
10/29/2006, 06:56 PM
I think they should have dimension requirements on people like on luggage--if your *** can't fit in the standard airline seat without lumping over into the seat next to you, you ought to have to pay more. hell, pay a portion of the squooshed person's airfare. Or have to buy a second seat--or maybe be required to upgrade to the bigger seats in first class. SOMETHING.

opksooner
10/29/2006, 06:58 PM
Mangino says, "STFU"

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2006, 07:00 PM
pg, even when I was 160lbs my shoulders were too big to fit in a standard airline seat without a little overlap. Even at my current weight, it's my shoulders that are the problem, not my gut. Trust me, though, I don't fly coach if I can help it, and when I do I always ask for an aisle seat so I can lean away from the person in the next seat. I don't like touching people any more than they like touching me.

proud gonzo
10/29/2006, 07:04 PM
i don't mean people with wide shoulders, I mean people whose entire body is too large for the seat.
A shoulder bumping into mine isn't too bad--you expect it'll be cramped on planes--but when a lady looking like Jabba the Hutt shoves herself in by the window and I still have to half hang into the aisle, that's a little much.

Cam
10/29/2006, 07:25 PM
I think they should have dimension requirements on people like on luggage--if your *** can't fit in the standard airline seat without lumping over into the seat next to you, you ought to have to pay more. hell, pay a portion of the squooshed person's airfare. Or have to buy a second seat--or maybe be required to upgrade to the bigger seats in first class. SOMETHING.
There are a few airlines already doing that. I've seen a couple people at the checkin counter that have gotten quite ****ed cause they were forced to buy a second seat due to their size.

lexsooner
10/29/2006, 07:46 PM
There are a few airlines already doing that. I've seen a couple people at the checkin counter that have gotten quite ****ed cause they were forced to buy a second seat due to their size.

Well, there is an obvious solution for that problem - lose weight. Now I don't mean for naturally big people, but rather for obese persons. Their obesity not only harms their own health, but they also cause problems for others when they sit next to you in coach on airplanes. The solution for most of these big folks is within their own control - no excuses.

lexsooner
10/29/2006, 08:02 PM
Some Fatso just neg speked me! LOL!

tulsaoilerfan
10/29/2006, 08:12 PM
Well, there is an obvious solution for that problem - lose weight. Now I don't mean for naturally big people, but rather for obese persons. Their obesity not only harms their own health, but they also cause problems for others when they sit next to you in coach on airplanes. The solution for most of these big folks is within their own control - no excuses.
If only it was that easy; most skinny folks have no idea how hard it is, unless they were big at one time. :twinkies:

OCUDad
10/29/2006, 08:31 PM
what do you have against giant muhfuggin robots?Not a thing. I like Dean, for example. :pop:

TopDaugIn2000
10/29/2006, 09:46 PM
I guess he just glossed over that gluttony deadly sin dealio.

correcto!