18 Oklahoma 6-2 589 19
19 Clemson 7-2 435 10
20 Georgia Tech 6-2 402 21
21 Texas A&M 8-1 353 22
22 Wake Forest 7-1 246 24
23 Virginia Tech 6-2 188 NR
24 Oregon 6-2 167 25
25 Washington St. 6-3 40 NR

Others receiving votes: Tulsa 38, BYU 30, Missouri 25, Nebraska 17, Maryland 13, Oregon St. 9, Penn St. 8, Pittsburgh 6, Iowa 3, Alabama 2, Hawaii 2, Oklahoma St. 2. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/external/onlinenews.ap.org/collegefootball_rankings /voters.php?SITE

First-place votes in parentheses

CatfishSooner
10/29/2006, 02:11 PM
We should be atleast 15!

TripleOption14
10/29/2006, 02:19 PM
Problem is no one ahead of us lost. So there wasn't really any spot to move up to. This upcoming weekend will be a tell tell sign of how far the j@ckass voters will allow the Sooners to move up. Man, that is gonna be a NIGHTMARE of a game!! :eek: TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH!!

Indy Sooner
10/29/2006, 03:12 PM
Problem is no one ahead of us lost. So there wasn't really any spot to move up to. This upcoming weekend will be a tell tell sign of how far the j@ckass voters will allow the Sooners to move up. Man, that is gonna be a NIGHTMARE of a game!! :eek: TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH!!

OU by a TD...write it down.

stoopified
10/29/2006, 03:22 PM
Problem is no one ahead of us lost. So there wasn't really any spot to move up to. What has losing got to do with anything?We beat UAB and dropped five spots,we Beat UO and dropped again.Bias has more to do with OUr ranking than reality.Does anyone with a brain think Boise,Rutgers or BC would beat us now?

TripleOption14
10/29/2006, 03:33 PM
What has losing got to do with anything?We beat UAB and dropped five spots,we Beat UO and dropped again.Bias has more to do with OUr ranking than reality.Does anyone with a brain think Boise,Rutgers or BC would beat us now?

Key words in the thread:

"J@ckass voters!!!" As far as i'm concerned OU is a 1 loss team and should be viewed as such. I don't see how people/voters/media can't see that.

TXBOOMER
10/29/2006, 04:02 PM
If Mich and WV get beat is texass gonna play for another NC?

Sooner98
10/29/2006, 04:25 PM
How the voters can put Wisconsin (who just wrapped up a big seven-point win at home against 2-7 Illinois) ahead of us (who beat a ranked team by 16 on the road) is just way beyond the realm of what my mind can comprehend. Wisconsin is, year in and year out, the most over-rated team in the history of college football.

tigepilot
10/29/2006, 05:11 PM
Given the circumstances of one of OU's losses, they should be at least the highest ranked 2 loss team. I see LSU in that list with 2 losses ranked 13th so I would put OU at least at that level... however, you know what everybody says about the SEC.:rolleyes:

Scott D
10/29/2006, 05:23 PM
Given the circumstances of one of OU's losses, they should be at least the highest ranked 2 loss team. I see LSU in that list with 2 losses ranked 13th so I would put OU at least at that level... however, you know what everybody says about the SEC.:rolleyes:

*shrug* LSU lost to two teams currently in the top 15.

Big Red Ron
10/29/2006, 05:25 PM
If Mich and WV get beat is texass gonna play for another NC?If they did, they'd get their very own national *** whoopin. Ohio St. is much better now than when they beat UT and UT is still just barely getting by.

kelloggOUballa
10/29/2006, 05:26 PM

thanks to the computers, who lack the bias of the media, Texas has a slim to none chance of playing for a BCS title. They are projected at No. 7 this week!

tigepilot
10/29/2006, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot
Given the circumstances of one of OU's losses, they should be at least the highest ranked 2 loss team. I see LSU in that list with 2 losses ranked 13th so I would put OU at least at that level... however, you know what everybody says about the SEC.

OU's one and only deserved loss it to a team currently ranked 4th... so what's your point.

Big Red Ron
10/29/2006, 05:40 PM
OU's one and only deserved loss it to a team currently ranked 4th... so what's your point.And the other is in the top 20.

Soonerus
10/29/2006, 05:52 PM
I am sorry we beat a ranked team, on the road, decisively and only move up 1 slot...we got hosed...

rainiersooner
10/29/2006, 06:04 PM

well we only lost to one team in the current top 10. ;)

TripleOption14
10/29/2006, 06:11 PM

NO WAY!! NO ONE wants to see that again and thats the very reason it won't happen. If WV and Mich both lose i think Louisville or one of the SEC teams has the best shot. No one wants to see the shorthorns or the domers get killed again by state!!

recemp
10/29/2006, 06:13 PM
On one hand, I don't think Rutgers, Wisconsin or Boise State could finish second in the Big 12......North.
On the other hand I don't think that they could beat the teams ranked behind us either.
I'm not convinced that Louisville is a national power either. I'll be watching the 'big' Rutgers game this week.
I think the Virginia schools are consistently over-rated. They play well until some Florida school shows up

recemp
10/29/2006, 06:19 PM
Upon further review...
Wake Forest would probably beat them all in basketball.
Who do these schools play?

Cam
10/29/2006, 06:50 PM
Win out and things will take care of themselves.

recemp
10/29/2006, 07:00 PM
I just don't want to be watching football at 10am in Dallas on New Year's Day. Last time the only thing we could find to eat was a breakfast burrito and some beer.
We left Arlington at 6 am and barely made the kickoff after being snarled in traffic.
I'm going to study some maps. I'm not as afraid of Dallas backstreets as of trying to digest those burritos while some guy is with a plumber's butt is going through some "hog hog sooey" cheer.
Happy new year to you too.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2006, 07:06 PM
I just don't want to be watching football at 10am in Dallas on New Year's Day. Last time the only thing we could find to eat was a breakfast burrito and some beer.
We left Arlington at 6 am and barely made the kickoff after being snarled in traffic.
I'm going to study some maps. I'm not as afraid of Dallas backstreets as of trying to digest those burritos while some guy is with a plumber's butt is going through some "hog hog sooey" cheer.

Having to hear that wretched hog call in the morning was bad enough...maybe the most annoying thing I ve ever heard

recemp
10/29/2006, 07:17 PM
Fortunately, the hotel we were going to stay at was the Arkansas HQ and the started calling the hogs to welcome in the New Year and didn't stop.
Looking on another thread, somebody said that we might get LSU in the Cotton.
That would be sweet.
But it also says that we might get USC in the Holiday.
I'm handing the wife my bail money now.
Absolutely, the worst I ever had to endure at a football game. I'm pretty mild-mannered but my neck is getting red remembering.
We better win this time.

sooneron
10/29/2006, 08:39 PM
Do you really want to be around those lsu drunks on new years? New Years and St Paddy's day are amateur night.

MamaMia
10/29/2006, 08:52 PM
Why is LSU ahead of us?

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2006, 10:13 PM
Where the hell is the Tulsa love?

Wazoo at 25, and the Golden Hurricane just barely gettin' a sniff?

Tools.

BudSooner
10/29/2006, 10:26 PM
Where the hell is the Tulsa love?

Wazoo at 25, and the Golden Hurricane just barely gettin' a sniff?

Tools.

No kidding, polls are ghey.:mad:

Texas Golfer
10/29/2006, 11:53 PM
What bothers me is that OU still doesn't get any respect. After our first game, we dropped 5 places even though we won by 7 points. Several ranked teams won (or lost) by 7 points or less to unranked teams this weekend and hardly dropped at all. We were the only ranked team to play another ranked team this weekend and we won by 16 and moved up 1 spot.

I realize my frustration isn't going to change the disrespect but I feel better getting it out.

Scott D
10/30/2006, 12:02 AM
OU's one and only deserved loss it to a team currently ranked 4th... so what's your point.

ya got me, the cia surely is to blame for this. :rolleyes:

Maybe just maybe if Oregon didn't manage to suck it up last week to Wazzu we're top 15.

SoonerTerry
10/30/2006, 12:09 AM
Win out and things will take care of themselves.

I agree, polls are just what they are, opinions. No BSC ranking or championchip will have true legitimacy until we have a play off system.

Just my opinion...;)

bri
10/30/2006, 12:21 AM
So, um, why exactly do we give a good damn about the polls? Is this going to ruin our chances at the national title?

Oh, wait, two losses probably ruined our chances at a national title. I guess the polls don't actually matter at this point. Good talk, everybody. Now let's try a new approach I like to call "not being raving lunatics".

SoonerLB
10/30/2006, 12:28 AM
Damn them Oregon officials! :(

Widescreen
10/30/2006, 08:14 AM
Is the AP poll even relevant? Who cares?

The AP has no business even issuing a poll anymore. They were the ones who said "We don't want to create news so we're pulling our poll out of the BCS". Yet they continue to try to make news by anointing a national champion every year. If you have to get worked up over polls, do it on the coaches poll (or better yet just enjoy watching the Sooners and ignore the polls altogether).

sanantoniosooner
10/30/2006, 08:28 AM
Why hasn't Oliver Stone made a movie about our poll position?

oKOIhoma fan
10/30/2006, 08:29 AM

I vote for the Gator Bowl. Sunny 80 degrees and only three hours from my drive way.

Yall come over here for a change!

bri
10/30/2006, 09:15 AM
Um, yeah...we don't have a tie-in with the Gator Bowl.

Oh, I forgot, this is the Football board. Reality has no purchase here. Sorry.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/30/2006, 09:40 AM
How the voters can put Wisconsin (who just wrapped up a big seven-point win at home against 2-7 Illinois) ahead of us (who beat a ranked team by 16 on the road) is just way beyond the realm of what my mind can comprehend. Wisconsin is, year in and year out, the most over-rated team in the history of college football.

Illinois is getting to be a tough team to beat. They have been in most games to the wire. Rutgers and Syracuse beat them soundly at the beginning of the year, but they are almost all frosh and some soph. The Syracuse game was probably the worst I have ever seen a football team play and I was at the game of which we do not speak. They have a bright future.
They remind me of Baylor.

I still think we should be ranked under 15th.

Luthor
10/30/2006, 10:13 AM
What has losing got to do with anything?We beat UAB and dropped five spots,we Beat UO and dropped again.Bias has more to do with OUr ranking than reality.Does anyone with a brain think Boise,Rutgers or BC would beat us now?

Rutgers, Louisville and WVU have not played a single note worthy oponent as is ALWAYS the case with the Big East. Maybe we should all do like aggy and schedule nothing but military schools for OC games. You guys drop for winning and we stay the same while teams above us loose. Aparently SOS does count unless your in the BigXII...then it doesn't.

Scott D
10/30/2006, 10:20 AM
Rutgers, Louisville and WVU have not played a single note worthy oponent as is ALWAYS the case with the Big East. Maybe we should all do like aggy and schedule nothing but military schools for OC games. You guys drop for winning and we stay the same while teams above us loose. Aparently SOS does count unless your in the BigXII...then it doesn't.

your problem is you scheduled 3 schools worse than the service acadamies in OOC play. High school teams could run a gauntlet through the powers of North Texas, Rice, and Sam Houston St. this year. Playing Ohio State and teams that they considered to be stronger in the conference (ie..Nebraska and the Big12 South) is the only thing saving Texas from being the same laughing stock that Cupcake Weiss and ND are at the moment with their vicious gauntlet of all 3 service acadamies and North Carolina.

OSUAggie
10/30/2006, 10:49 AM

Um, yeah...... the Gator Bowl matches the ACC vs. a team from the Big XII (I think OU's still in the Big XII), Big East or ND....

How's reality?

soonerboy_odanorth
10/30/2006, 10:53 AM

bri...

Actually, we do now. It's newly negotiated by the Big XII as of last year, but I think not real likely they pick up a Big XII team. It's structered pretty loosely so that the Gator Bowl can pick up either a Big East or Big XII team. I believe it is ACC #3 vs. Big XII or Big East selection.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/30/2006, 11:00 AM
Oh and BTW, Indy....

OU by a TD...write it down.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

You just freakin' killed any good mojo we had goin'!

Anytime anybody breaks out with a "Book it!" or "Write it down!" or "Take it to the bank!" blast we get pantsed on national TV!

When we lose I'm blaming YOU!

(Of course, if we win then it's all because of me giving you the dressing down.. heh!):D

MI Sooner
10/30/2006, 12:57 PM
One thing I've never understood...

Early in the season, teams are punished or rewarded for their margin of victory (see OU dropping after closer-than-expencted win over UAB). At some point in the season, most voters are unwilling to move teams down if they win, even if it's by a narrow margin. You can only move up if teams in front of you lose, or if you have one (or preferably more) victory over top ranked competition. But blowing out Iowa State while the team in front of you scrapes by Indiana won't get you anywhere.

I never understood why this happened, and at what point in the season it takes effect. I understand that you don't expect shifts in the polls to be as severe in week eight as week two, because week eight only accounts for 12.5% of a team's total performance to date whereas week two accounts for 50%. But it seems like voters don't take margin of victory into consideration at all at this point in the season.

SoonerHawk
10/30/2006, 04:11 PM

The Gator Bowl does have the option of taking a Big 12 team, if they don't then the Sun Bowl gets a team.

Big Red Ron
10/30/2006, 05:41 PM
Better stick to the SO Bri.

:D

sanantoniosooner
10/30/2006, 05:43 PM
Better stick to the SO Bri.

:D
In his defense, there is a lot of insanity that passes for posts around here.

XingTheRubicon
10/30/2006, 07:44 PM
In my defense, there is a lot of insanity that passes for posts around here.

;)

Big Red Ron
10/30/2006, 08:50 PM
In his defense, there is a lot of insanity that passes for posts around here.Point taken.:D

Meisterman
10/30/2006, 09:00 PM
West Vagina #3:mad: I want a playoff!