PDA

View Full Version : Lendy Holmes

okienole3
10/29/2006, 11:11 AM
Is he going to walk on? We could use the extra body. I saw an article on Rivals about this last week, but I am not a member so I couldn't read it, then yesterday the announcers mentioned it.

stoopified
10/29/2006, 03:25 PM
He apparrently hadn't cleared it with Stoops yet so to this point has not been allowed to walk on.I would like to see the Tennell kid go out as well as McCoy(we could use a big banger).

Sooner_75
10/31/2006, 10:49 PM
Quentin Chaney was on the Stoops show Sunday. He was asked and basically said no chance. He was a decent player in h.s.

OUstud
11/1/2006, 03:52 PM
Wasn't DeMarco Murray a pretty good player nationally in basketball?

Sooner_Havok
11/2/2006, 12:03 AM
No pirating the football team to make the basketball team better! You can however take what you want from golf, gymnastics, and interpretive dance

Ash
11/2/2006, 09:49 AM
I don't see how using football guys that haven't played since high school will improve the team in any way. Add depth? Maybe, and that's a big maybe. Unless Bob Stoops is hiding a 6'10'' 250 lb. rebounding shot blocker, what's the point?

NormanPride
11/2/2006, 10:34 AM
Lendy can hit 3s with either hand. :eek:

mikeelikee
11/2/2006, 10:39 AM
I watched Quentin Chaney play both sports in high school at BTW, and frankly, I thought he had more natural basketball skills than football.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/2/2006, 10:48 AM
I watched Quentin Chaney play both sports in high school at BTW, and frankly, I thought he had more natural basketball skills than football.

for some reason i laughed at this. don't know why...

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
11/2/2006, 11:41 AM
Jermaine Gresham was All-State in basketball.

Ash
11/2/2006, 11:49 AM
I played basketball in high school. I think I'll try to walk on.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
11/2/2006, 11:55 AM
I played basketball in high school. I think I'll try to walk on.
You might actually make it!!! :D

Ash
11/2/2006, 12:05 PM
We've got good young players and some key guys from last year. My only point is, we've got specific needs on this team: PG and low post. I don't see anyone on the football team fulfilling those roles better than anyone who's already on the team.

Mebbe I is wrong.

yermom
11/2/2006, 02:44 PM
Wasn't DeMarco Murray a pretty good player nationally in basketball?

wasn't it him that was recruited by Stoops after he saw him do something crazy on the court? or am i mixing something up?

stoopified
11/2/2006, 05:54 PM
Tennell,Gresham,McCoy are all frosh who played b-ball last year.Greasham 6;6-6'7 and 250,McCoy 6'4 300 wouldadd bulk for the squqd.When you are broad like McCoy and muscular you can take up space under the boards and be srprisingly effective.David Johnson,Wayman Tisdale,Cheese Davis,Ernie Abercrombie are all guys who played at a hieght disadvantage in their OU careers but used bulk to move taller players out of their way.Tennell and Chaney both were recruited by several schools to play b-ball so obviously they have SOME game.At worst they can provide practice depth and IF one or two can be game contributors that would be gravy.

Ash
11/2/2006, 09:28 PM
Tennell,Gresham,McCoy are all frosh who played b-ball last year.Greasham 6;6-6'7 and 250,McCoy 6'4 300 wouldadd bulk for the squqd.When you are broad like McCoy and muscular you can take up space under the boards and be srprisingly effective.David Johnson,Wayman Tisdale,Cheese Davis,Ernie Abercrombie are all guys who played at a hieght disadvantage in their OU careers but used bulk to move taller players out of their way.Tennell and Chaney both were recruited by several schools to play b-ball so obviously they have SOME game.At worst they can provide practice depth and IF one or two can be game contributors that would be gravy.

Guys who are in the 6'5-6'7 range and big frames making good college 4/5s is not surprising at all. You see it quite often.

What would be surprising is a football player splitting time to play BBall after not working out with the team in the off season, not practicing, not knowing the offense, not having played at the D-1 level before and coming in and having a big impact on a Big 12 team.

colleyvillesooner
11/2/2006, 11:46 PM
wasn't it him that was recruited by Stoops after he saw him do something crazy on the court? or am i mixing something up?

From Stoops on the Radio after recruiting:

(On Murray)

We saw his ability to make people miss and the athlete he is…the way he plays…he’s got size to him. DeMarco Murray is probably the best pure athlete that I have recruited. When I recruited Ryan Reynolds, and I was walking across the gym with Murray’s HS coach out there in Las Veagas, and I saw DeMarco just throw a ball against the backboard slam the heck out of a basketball…and I’m sitting there watching this and I turned to Ryan’s coach, and I said, “I’m not allowed to recruit DeMarco just yet, but make sure he knows he’s got a scholarship at Oklahoma.” (Laughs from the crowd)

Collier11
11/10/2006, 03:49 AM
I play ball with lendy some during the summers. He is a great leaper/athlete. NOt a great bball player in the fundamental sense, but then again who is in college and pro ball these days. I think he could help!

Ash
11/10/2006, 09:05 AM
I don't see how having another inexperienced player would help this team. Another warm body on the bench I guess.

okienole3
11/10/2006, 09:07 AM
I don't see how having another inexperienced player would help this team. Another warm body on the bench I guess.

An extra body in practice will help. Especially now with Maze out for 4-6.

Ash
11/10/2006, 09:11 AM
An extra body in practice will help. Especially now with Maze out for 4-6.

I'd agree with that. The team is thin, so having people to fill in gaps does help in terms of having some depth. But I don't see it translating to more wins or a better team at this point.

I'm not saying that if all parties agree, Lendy or anyone else shouldn't join the team. And I'm not trying to say it would be bad for the team.

My only point is that there's more to BBall at this level then showing up. Lots of guys can ball at a pick up game. That doesn't mean they can step onto a D1 court and make a difference. Two different worlds.