PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson was a "system" running back.

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 09:55 AM
Allen Patrick, who all the doom-and-gloomers were hating on, broke off 162, and at a distance was nearly indistinguishable from AD. He and Gute combine for more than two bills.

Discuss.

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 09:56 AM
By the way, I in no way endorse this ridiculous postulation, I just wanted to stir up the football board n00bs. I will now be returning to my home on the South Oval, where I will post about rock music and the Hornets. Carry on.

yermom
10/29/2006, 10:27 AM
I thought that guy was hurt?!

heh

OKC-SLC
10/29/2006, 10:32 AM
heh
heh.

it's almost cute how mizzou thinks they have a football program.

and those are the types of fans you get.

King Crimson
10/29/2006, 11:09 AM
Peterson would have broken a long one yesterday. maybe a couple. but props to Patrick and Gute.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/29/2006, 11:17 AM
Peterson would have broken a long one yesterday. maybe a couple. but props to Patrick and Gute.Yep, and the Sooner OL manhandled the MO defensive line.

85sooners
10/29/2006, 11:31 AM
patrick for heisman

Mjcpr
10/29/2006, 11:37 AM
Peterson would have broken a long one yesterday. maybe a couple. but props to Patrick and Gute.

This is the difference. AD might've had 250 yesterday. It's almost a given he would've turned Patrick's longest run into 50 yards or whatever.....he is the more explosive back, that's why he's projected to be picked in the top 5 of the NFL draft and Patrick and Gute aren't.

That said.....I couldn't be happier with Patrick and Gute at this point. It'd be nice if they could break a long one but there's nothing wrong with 4 and 5 yard carries. This OL is going to be good in the years to come and I have to admit that comes as a shock to me...I thought that was going to be a worrisome position for us for a few years.

yermom
10/29/2006, 12:08 PM
yeah, AP just doesn't have the same power to deny tackles at the end of his runs

he still looked very good, and we are lucky to have him

Midtowner
10/29/2006, 12:12 PM
Defenses aren't stacking the box against Gute and Patrick.

sooneron
10/29/2006, 12:12 PM
Patrick was just short a few times of busting a long one. I think he will in the coming games.

sooneron
10/29/2006, 12:16 PM
I disagree. We tossed the ball 19 FRIGGIN times yesterday. That's nearly par for the course this year. You aren't going to face a lot of umbrella coverages with those stats. You will face a stacked box when you have an RB with 36 carries.

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 10:29 PM
I too thought that Patrick had a couple where he went down at the end, while AD might have gotten 5-10 more. Obviously, AD has had at least one long breakaway TD in nearly every game this year. He has a gear that maybe nobody else in college football has.

That said, I think an argument can be made that, believe it or not, we didn't have a huge dropoff in backfield effectiveness when AD went out. I know, I know, it sounds like I'm just whistling past the graveyard, but I've been making this argument to friends for the past two weeks. What we have now, IMO, is a back that's probably about, oh, let's say, 85% as good as AD (which means he could probably start at about any school in the country), in the starting role. Besides being darn good, he also runs in the same punishing manner AD did. Because coaches don't want to put AD's role exclusively on anyone (for good reason!), we now also have a larger role from a guy who is probably 85-90% as good as Q (translation: really good) and who runs in the same style as Q did. The aforementioned guys benefit at least a little from teams not preparing for and defending OU's run quite as emphatically as they did when AD was in.

Add to that the new wrinkle of PT being given more designed running plays. Before AD was out, why bother letting PT run, other than to mix things up? But now that the workhorse is missing, we'll probably see ENA run much, much more. Which could also lead to more rollout passing opportunities, at which he's the most deadly at converting. I think PT has proven that his throwing skills are as good as or better than Nate Hybl's (translation: very good), and he probably runs about as well as Jason did pre-knee injuries.

Top that off with a line that has seriously learned how to run block, in case no one was paying attention.

I think all of this adds up to a backfield (remember, we're not discussing the receiving corps here) that presents a combined offensive threat maybe second only to the Jason/AD/Kejuan/Runnells backfield of two years ago, as far as Stoops-era teams are concerned. Of course, that backfield's effectiveness was heavily centered on the combination threat of AD's running and Jason's ability to deliver downfield. Now, if Jason would have been mobile then, or when Q was in the backfield...

Would I trade it all for a full-strength AD and less run-oriented PT tomorrow? No question. But we still have an offensive backfield nearly any team would kill for. Three months ago, if you would have been told our current QB/tailback combo would be the starters in late October... ...well, suffice to say, we should all be happier now than we would have been then.

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 10:31 PM
My only point is that we still have it really, really good. Despite all of the crap that has happened this year.

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 10:32 PM
Oh, and to top it all off, we're Sooners. Suck it, everybody else.

goingoneight
10/29/2006, 10:35 PM
Well, if you call "get outta my way or I'll run you over..." a 'system,' then okay. ;)

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 10:40 PM
Worked pretty good for him. ;)

GottaHavePride
10/29/2006, 10:42 PM
That's the Walter Payton system, right?

sooneron
10/29/2006, 10:46 PM
Oh, and to top it all off, we're Sooners. Suck it, everybody else.
I still love this one!!!:D :D :D :D :D

mightysooner
10/29/2006, 10:46 PM
Two things....

1) I am extremely impressed with Allen Patrick bringing the wood to the running game in the manner he has.

2) Our offensive line is a LOT better than many people thought it was. They dominated Mizzou's D-line. And the freshmen kid that took Braxton's place needs a game ball. He's played very well.!

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 10:48 PM
I still love this one!!!:D :D :D :D :D
Hopefully, someone will adopt it as their new signature line. I could then die a happy man.

sooneron
10/29/2006, 10:50 PM
I'll send lillies...

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2006, 10:55 PM
I tell you what had my jibblies all in a happy knot.

Downhill. Entirely downhill. And vision. Beautiful vision from the kid. There wasn't any of the fidddle-fartin' around, sidestep ole' BS that even AD was doing in the early season. Just good ol' fashioned hat for hat, I'm gonna hit you in the mouth and make you like it football. And sure, he ain't AD. After watching some film, AD would've walked away with a 200+ yard game on broken ankle tackles alone.

But between these kids steppin' up, the O-Line steppin' up, PT being PT and everything coming together, I'm with some of the pundits and say this ballclub has the element it lacked before AD went down. No one's a star. No one has a face in the national spotlight. They're Sooners first and foremost, and when they hit the green green grass of home, they're playing as a singular force with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Granted, it was just Mizzou.

But I saw something special out there. And I like it. A LOT.

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 11:00 PM
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but Fireman's post just gave me a bit of a chubby. I think it was the "hat for hat, I'm gonna hit you in the mouth and make you like it football" part.

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 11:03 PM
If that post doesn't kill this thread, nothing will.

sooneron
10/29/2006, 11:05 PM
But you should be dead as I adopted your quote as my sig!!

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 11:07 PM
I said I "could" die. Not that I would die.

sooneron
10/29/2006, 11:09 PM
I'll give you that one.

sooneron
10/29/2006, 11:09 PM
For now.

BigRedJed
10/29/2006, 11:14 PM
Creepy.

sooneron
10/29/2006, 11:26 PM
I like to add on to my posts

sooneron
10/29/2006, 11:26 PM
whenever I feel like most geniuses.

SoonerDood
10/30/2006, 12:59 AM
I'm sensing a Jammal Brown type career for Trent Williams.

rhombic21
10/30/2006, 01:11 AM
The one thing that Patrick has over AD is that he seems to hit the hole quicker. AD is of course a better back once he breaks through the line because of his superior size, speed, balance, and strength, but Patrick seems to have a little bit of a quicker burst to get through the hole. I didn't look to see if we're lining him up as deep as we line up AD, so that may have something to do with it, I don't know.

I think that our Shotgun running game would be a lot better if PT would keep the ball every now and then on some of these zone reads. There have been a couple times when it looked like he'd have been gone had he kept it.

Our offense would be a ton better if we got consistent lead blocking from the FBs. When they block their man correctly, it seems like we almost always get a huge gain. We still haven't found anybody who can come close to replacing JD.

OUTrumpet
10/30/2006, 01:30 AM
There were several plays where I turned to my friend I was sitting next to and commented "AD would have scored"

I have the feeling that will be said for a while.

Egeo
10/30/2006, 01:38 AM
i only checked one time - but patrick was lined up very deep in the I
and when clapp was healthy (the one game), he did a good job

and patrick does hit the whole fast - i like it
but really, i think we might run the counter too much. to me, it seems like colorado and mizzou's lb's were just keyeing our olineman and beating them to the hole much of the time

tigepilot
10/30/2006, 02:57 AM
The one thing that Patrick has over AD is that he seems to hit the hole quicker.

I noticed that too and it's an impressive difference there. Almost as impressive as AD's will to make yards after contact... but not quite. However, hitting the hole faster and getting more consistent yards on each play, even if that means you don't get the home run, may not be a bad thing... we'll see.

One thing I can say is I was really worried about how OU would do in the next couple of years because of 1) no great looking QB comming in 2) replacing one of the most impressive backs I've ever seen seemed seemed daunting and 3) the young defense hadn't been playing well. I am now not nearly as worried. The defense is now playing very well and seems to be still improving each week and the running backs seem to be taking care of business, in part due to an improving young offensive line. The only question mark that remains is the QB and I don't think that will be answered this year.

jkjsooner
10/30/2006, 09:21 AM
I noticed that too and it's an impressive difference there. Almost as impressive as AD's will to make yards after contact... but not quite. However, hitting the hole faster and getting more consistent yards on each play, even if that means you don't get the home run, may not be a bad thing... we'll see.

I agree with both of you guys. I think Patrick had a couple of 5-8 yard gains just because of his good vision and burst of speed. It's very likely that Peterson may have been stopped for a 1-2 yard gain on the same plays. That being said, Peterson is clearly a superior back but that doesn't mean he does everything better than Patrick.

trpltongue
10/30/2006, 10:05 AM
You also have to remember that the defense is not stacking the box like they did against AD. Mizzou was running a 4-3 most of the game with the safety's a solid 15 yards deep and backing up on almost every play. You would think they would eventually adjust but they didn't. They ran base defense the entire day.

Conversely, the Iowa State defense was also running a 4-3 but their safety's were within 7-10 yards of the line on almost every play.

Allen Patrick is doing a great job running the football, but AD is a very special back and there is no comparison.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 11:48 AM
I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere . . . but my opinion is that the loss of AD could be a huge blessing in disguise. With AD gone, we are now being forced out of our "cult of personality" mind-set. The rest of the team is now being forced to step up their game, and they are doing so. The line. The receivers. The D. Everyone and everywhere. Certainly Paul Thompson and the new backfield.

While it's a travesty to lose AD for the balance of the year . . . even for the shear pleasure of watching him run, I think this could be a big blessing for us next year. Sure, it may cost us a game down the stretch. But who cares, if it means that we're that much more ready to compete without him next year? By traditional OU standards, this season has already been ****ed away. We might as well start gearing up for next year, which we're doing. And the biggest hurdle we would have been forced to overcome next year would have been "life after AD." Though I never would have wished it, and it still makes me sick, I really think that good things are going to come out of this.

As for Patrick, I think by the end of the year we're going to see him putting up some big-time numbers. He's got some shake-and-bake that we haven't seen at all because he's been focused on hitting the holes, holding on to the ball, and finishing his runs. I think we're going to see more of the same (what we've seen so far from Patrick) this week on the road against A&M. But when Tech comes to town, my bet is that AP is going to be ready to show of some of his moves.

The kid can slash & dash. Can't wait to see him open up that "Can of WA". . .

BigRedJed
10/30/2006, 12:42 PM
I haven't gotten any blue steel n00b negspek yet. This thread is a craptacular failure.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 12:58 PM
I haven't gotten any blue steel n00b negspek yet. This thread is a craptacular failure.

Sorry man. Here, have some neg. How dare you imply Adrian is just a system back? You silly, silly person, you!!

bixby28
10/30/2006, 01:38 PM
The offensive line is playing better, i agree. They haven't done well with the run-blocking all year until the last few games, but they are improving.

One question for whomever knows anything about this... Is there anyone expecting Peterson back by the OSU game?? I've been hearing talk... Does anybody have an opinion??

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 01:51 PM
The offensive line is playing better, i agree. They haven't done well with the run-blocking all year until the last few games, but they are improving.

One question for whomever knows anything about this... Is there anyone expecting Peterson back by the OSU game?? I've been hearing talk... Does anybody have an opinion??

By all accounts, there is at least one very important person who expects Adrian Peterson to be back by the OSU game: Adrian Peterson.

Desert Sapper
10/30/2006, 01:54 PM
I think it has the side benefit of preparing us for next year. I also think it is ultimately good for this offense, because we aren't trying to win AD the Heisman every game. I don't know if anyone else felt that way, but it seemed like we were trying too hard to give him the ball, especially when we could have seriously lit some teams up through the air. I think this gives us more balance and in turn will keep other teams off balance. That could ultimately allow us to dominate on the field. Now imagine when AD declares that he is coming back for his senior season. Talk about loaded in the backfield. I'm ready.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 02:12 PM
Now imagine when AD declares that he is coming back for his senior season. Talk about loaded in the backfield. I'm ready.

I don't think my fragile emotions can handle this sort of speculation. Please refrain.;)

Beef
10/30/2006, 02:20 PM
yeah, AP just doesn't have the same power to deny tackles at the end of his runs

he still looked very good, and we are lucky to have him
Why do you call Allen Patrick AP? TIA.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/30/2006, 04:17 PM
Sort of the way Ron Jeremy is a system actor. If he ever calls in sick, just let me fill in and you won't be able to tell the difference.:D

FormerSoonerProf
10/30/2006, 04:25 PM

BINGO!!!!

ashley
10/30/2006, 04:46 PM
My dad used to say be careful because you are gonna meet a bunch of nutty people out there.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/30/2006, 05:12 PM
Our offense would be a ton better if we got consistent lead blocking from the FBs. When they block their man correctly, it seems like we almost always get a huge gain. We still haven't found anybody who can come close to replacing JD.

That's a great point. I don't know how many times I've seen what should be a 5-10+ yard run turn into a 2 yard run because our FBs run right by the first guy, causing AD to get hit in the backfield. I think we're seeing improvement in that area though.

badger
10/30/2006, 10:50 PM
this just in: OU may play OSU in the Big 12 championship.

stoopified
10/30/2006, 10:58 PM

he still looked very good, and we are lucky to have himTrue dat.

BigRedJed
10/31/2006, 11:29 AM
Glad to see this thread finally died.

BigRedJed
10/31/2006, 11:29 AM
Doh!

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 11:34 AM
Why do you call Allen Patrick AP? TIA.

AP = Associated Press. Patrick is a journalism major.

Desert Sapper
10/31/2006, 11:46 AM
I don't think my fragile emotions can handle this sort of speculation. Please refrain.;)

Ha! I was wondering who would comment. I don't honestly think he's coming back (at least I tell myself that so when he does declare for the draft I won't be disappointed). These three things give me homer hope in the face of all the speculation about him declaring early (which it would be, regardless of what it seems like):

1. We play Miami in Norman next year with a chance to spank them.
2. Our schedule lines up favorably for a run.
3. AD did not accomplish his goals this year.

I doubt that will keep him from succombing to the one really big thing against us:

$CHA-CHING$

FlatheadSooner
10/31/2006, 01:41 PM
AP = Associated Press. Patrick is a journalism major.

Hmm, I thought it was "After Peterson". :confused:

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 03:42 PM
Ha! I was wondering who would comment. I don't honestly think he's coming back (at least I tell myself that so when he does declare for the draft I won't be disappointed). These three things give me homer hope in the face of all the speculation about him declaring early (which it would be, regardless of what it seems like):

1. We play Miami in Norman next year with a chance to spank them.
2. Our schedule lines up favorably for a run.
3. AD did not accomplish his goals this year.

I doubt that will keep him from succombing to the one really big thing against us:

$CHA-CHING$

It would be a mistake of Leinart-like proportions for him to come back. But that won't keep me from hoping . . .

I wonder what influence his Dad might have. Will it be, "Son, time to go make the big bucks and help the family." Or could it be, "Son, I'd sure like the opportunity to see you play in a few college games, in person." Or will his Dad's opinion mean that much to him at all?

Desert Sapper
10/31/2006, 03:48 PM
It would be a mistake of Leinart-like proportions for him to come back. But that won't keep me from hoping . . .

I don't know...I think Leinart pretty much accomplished everything in his Junior year. He won the Heisman and a MNC (in unfortunately dramatic fashion). He would have been the #1 DP. If AD leaves this year, questions about his health will drop him into the middle of the 1st round. I don't see him going #1. He has yet to win the Heisman or a MNC. Next year he has a chance to do all three.

Doubtful, but I'm hoping.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 04:37 PM
I don't know...I think Leinart pretty much accomplished everything in his Junior year. He won the Heisman and a MNC (in unfortunately dramatic fashion). He would have been the #1 DP. If AD leaves this year, questions about his health will drop him into the middle of the 1st round. I don't see him going #1. He has yet to win the Heisman or a MNC. Next year he has a chance to do all three.

Good points. Except for the middle of the first round thing. He'll go in the top three unless he loses a limb sometime between now and the draft.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 04:38 PM

I think we'd be in a better position for him to stay if we had a top notch QB.

TXBOOMER
10/31/2006, 05:34 PM

I guess those dumb M***** F****** better start stacking.

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/31/2006, 05:43 PM
I'm gonna go rate this thread...'killer'.

ccmachine
10/31/2006, 05:44 PM
Two things....

1) I am extremely impressed with Allen Patrick bringing the wood to the running game in the manner he has.

2) Our offensive line is a LOT better than many people thought it was. They dominated Mizzou's D-line. And the freshmen kid that took Braxton's place needs a game ball. He's played very well.!

I couldn't agree more. Patrick needs to be given his due credit for picking up the slack. He has impressed and will continue to do so.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 05:56 PM
I couldn't agree more. Patrick needs to be given his due credit for picking up the slack. He has impressed and will continue to do so.

As Musberger stated on the air (well done, Brent), our young offense is making a GREAT case to prospective QB recruits that OU is THE PLACE TO BE if you want to come in and make an early impact.

Side note: while it sucks that Braxton went down, the fact that Trent Williams has been able to come in so quickly really bodes well for next year - there's your starting five for the next two years:

Trent Williams - Tackle
Braxton - Tackle
Robinson
Cooper
Walker

. . . . not to mention that Beeler will be ready to start next year, and Cory Brandon will be ready to contribute by then, once he gets a little more weight on him.

Speaking of the O-line, what about the big kid from Dallas Carter? Any word on how he's shaping up?

FlatheadSooner
10/31/2006, 07:55 PM
I think we'd be in a better position for him to stay if we had a top notch QB.

If we don't have "top notch" QB by next year something will have to go really wrong. OU is going to be THE destination spot for some talented young buck ready to play - or at least will make OUr QB competition worth while. :cool:
I just hope we get it going early and not use the 1st half season getting started. Granted, OUr coaches did a great job getting the offense ready in short order but the Defense took longer than it should have for reasons unknown. :confused: