PDA

View Full Version : Props to Venables

Crimsontothecore
10/29/2006, 12:10 AM
I'll admit I made my share of "we miss Mike Stoops" comments when our D was stinking up the place, but over the last three games we've allowed an average of 7.3 points per game....AWESOME!
THIS is the defense we've grown accustomed to around here and today they passed a stiff test on the road against a very good offense with a very good QB.
BOOOMERRRRRR....SOOONNEERRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Widescreen
10/29/2006, 12:31 AM
We're definately playing better and that's great to see. However, there's no reason why we shouldn't have been playing this way earlier. I don't know what we were working on in preseason but I hope next year we'll start off playing better.

Ash
10/29/2006, 12:52 AM
It's pretty funny how coaches get better when players make plays.

MiccoMacey
10/29/2006, 01:20 AM
Next week will be telling...a tougher opponent in a much tougher venue.

jbstrick
10/29/2006, 12:14 PM
It's pretty funny how coaches get better when players make plays.

Just as funny as the coaches sucking when the players dont make plays.

1stTimeCaller
10/29/2006, 12:18 PM
That was awesome when our defense had no idea where to line up as Missouri drove the field and scored on us.

Ash
10/29/2006, 12:20 PM
Just as funny as the coaches sucking when the players dont make plays.

I agree.

Soonerman08
10/29/2006, 01:46 PM
That was awesome when our defense had no idea where to line up as Missouri drove the field and scored on us.

Or what was awesome when somebody tells you to shut the hell up. :D

1stTimeCaller
10/29/2006, 01:49 PM
Or what was awesome when somebody tells you to shut the hell up. :D

Are you saying that you thought we looked like we knew what was going on and where to be during that drive?

Rogue
10/29/2006, 03:23 PM
For most of the day, the D was solid. That one hurry-up offense drive when the MU QB decided to be mobile had us on our heels. I'm still shaking my head and wondering why we didn't call time-out about midway through that drive.

I'm definitely more pleased now than I was one month ago as far as the D is concerned.

goingoneight
10/29/2006, 03:42 PM

Great point... This D often times has flashes of brilliance, then they give up 70+ yard drives in crunch time, it's like they forget how to tackle and stuff, it happened against Colorado and against UM. We're sooooo close to being the defense Bob said we'd have in preseason if they'd just, I dunno, keep their heads in the game??? I remember that a lot last year... like aTm, Nebbish and Oregon in the HB, totally dominating, then stinking it up just enough in crunch time to let the opponent back in...

I never thought we needed BV fired... He IMHO, has coached some of OUr most dominant LB's since 1999 and deservingly gets respect among a few Sooner Fans, I just don't know why his defenses get so sloppy at times. If the offense gets sloppy, everyone is quick to say we need Chuck or Leach back, but NOOOOOOO, don't criticize OUr defense for being triple-deep at every position and still giving up 500 yards of offense to someone. BV was a very important part of Boo's recruits coming around and becoming dominant Sooner legends. Roy has said on more than one occasion that he is a brilliant defensive coach. Brilliance and order are two totally different things...