PDA

View Full Version : I'm converting a bunch of old reel audio tapes to CD

Widescreen
10/28/2006, 10:54 PM
My wife's grandmother has a ton of old reel-to-reel audio tapes and I'm converting them to CD. It's interesting to say the least. There's a lot of history in there. I've heard Billy Graham crusades from the radio in 1961. That was really interesting because he talks a lot about the threats of communism and the actions of Kennedy so it's almost historical in nature. There's a lot of general family stuff and the audio of my in-laws wedding in 1965. The bad part about it is these people lived in a 1200 sq. ft. house in OKC for 40 years and both smoked about 4 packs of cigarettes a day. These tapes have the nastiest stank and it's starting to make my media room smell. :mad: The craziest thing was a set of Weird Al Yankovic songs. I can't imagine these old farts recorded that themselves.

BajaOklahoma
10/29/2006, 07:17 AM
I have a bunch of Hi8 tapes that need to be converted to DVDs. When can I drop them off? And I don't smoke. ;)

Honestly, that is wonderful that you have them. Our families are are picture people. So I have tons of old pictures to scan, some from 4 generations ago. (It's more impressive when you remember that I am old) I wish I had video.

Mixer!
10/29/2006, 09:24 AM
I'm surprised that the tapes haven't fallen apart yet.