PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to hear about Mizzou miscues.

picasso
10/28/2006, 02:32 PM
we had our own share that killed a few drives and changed momentum.

now the penalties were the bad thing for Zourrah.

also, what was our deal at the end of the first half? 4th and 1 pass when could have gotten one more first down and then a field goal. and, when we took the penalty and punted? why not throw for a first and maybe a nother FG?:confused:

just askin.

Crimson Kid
10/28/2006, 03:19 PM
Well they should take it from us, don't complain about bad calls, or you'll be called whiners, no matter if it was blown call that the whole world seen.

MU wasn't ready for a team like OU, they haven't played a team worth a crap and let their easy wins override the facts. MU is a good team and will get better, im just glad we played them after all these cupcakes they played.

sooneron
10/28/2006, 03:36 PM
Yes, it is official, Bob Davie is also a failed announcer dude.

King Crimson
10/28/2006, 03:39 PM
Yes, it is official, Bob Davie is also a failed announcer dude.

listening to him is like having holes drilled in your head. he must wear a drool cup around his neck.

opksooner
10/28/2006, 03:41 PM
.......also, what was our deal at the end of the first half? 4th and 1 pass when could have gotten one more first down......confused:

just askin.

Passing long on 4th and 1 = going for the jugular. If we miss, they get ball at the 40. No big deal

If we run the ball on 4th and 1 and make it, fine. Drive continues. But if their DL stuffs our run on 4th and 1, they get a big lift...big momentum shift for 'zou.

I like it. It was a good call....we just didn't execute.

just sayin.

sooneron
10/28/2006, 03:42 PM
Maybe they just liked saying mizzou miscues cuz it rhymes and stuff.

Aries
10/28/2006, 03:55 PM
My impression was that they were playing it up as Missouri was David to Oklahoma's Goliath.

Of *course* they're going to try to make it look like Missouri would be in the game without the mistakes. If they say, "this is what we expected and unless OU *totally* chokes the game will end this way"... you might hear televisions clicking off all over the mid-west.

It is their job to try to maintain interest in the game. That's how they're always going to try to spin it.

sooneron
10/28/2006, 03:58 PM
I didn't realize that David entered the contest a 1.5 pt favorite.

Rogue
10/28/2006, 04:10 PM
Bob Davie doing color commentary is like me (and any dood I know) trying to pick out the best swimsuit for the Mrs. It's gonna be exciting for about 30 seconds until you realize you're in way over your head and nobody agrees with you.

The Preach Man
10/28/2006, 04:20 PM
Passing long on 4th and 1 = going for the jugular. If we miss, they get ball at the 40. No big deal

If we run the ball on 4th and 1 and make it, fine. Drive continues. But if their DL stuffs our run on 4th and 1, they get a big lift...big momentum shift for 'zou.

I like it. It was a good call....we just didn't execute.

just sayin.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

I knew the some would complain about this call as soon as I saw it. And I thought to myself that it would be the same people that use to say, "It's 3rd and short and we ALWAYS run on 3rd and short. I wish our OC would get a little creative and run some PA on 3rd and short sometimes!!!"

I loved the call. It didnt work for us but I still think it was a good call. I cant say I want them to do it every 3rd and short situation because that would just be stupid but it was a good call none the less.

EstablishedSooner1967
10/28/2006, 04:42 PM
i agree... what the good D job vs the miscues... the only miscue were the INT and not the tipped one.

sooneron
10/28/2006, 04:46 PM

I knew the some would complain about this call as soon as I saw it. And I thought to myself that it would be the same people that use to say, "It's 3rd and short and we ALWAYS run on 3rd and short. I wish our OC would get a little creative and run some PA on 3rd and short sometimes!!!"

I loved the call. It didnt work for us but I still think it was a good call. I cant say I want them to do it every 3rd and short situation because that would just be stupid but it was a good call none the less.
Unlike the qb keeper on 3rd and 11!

OK2LA
10/28/2006, 05:13 PM

That one cost me a television set.:mad: (needed another one anyway.)

Aries
10/28/2006, 06:29 PM
I didn't realize that David entered the contest a 1.5 pt favorite.

The announcers didn't declare Missouri a favorite, and didn't sound like they realized they were. That's a separate issue. They did say at least once or twice how big it would be for their program IF they could beat OU.

Just sayin'... they'll say whatever they think will keep people interested in watching the game. Don't take it personally.

sooneron
10/28/2006, 10:16 PM
The announcers didn't declare Missouri a favorite, and didn't sound like they realized they were. That's a separate issue. They did say at least once or twice how big it would be for their program IF they could beat OU.

Just sayin'... they'll say whatever they think will keep people interested in watching the game. Don't take it personally.
I don't take it personally. I'm a little old to do that. I have an issue when they don't give credit to where it's due and thus, flat out misrepresent a game intentionally.

SoonerObsession
10/28/2006, 10:43 PM
I was actually pleased with Bob Davey today. He even tooted our horn for any QB recruits out there saying that with our good (young) offensive line it would be a great place to go to. Not to mention the fact that he said if there is a better qb in the big 12 he does not know who it would be. (refering to Paul Thompson)

The Preach Man
10/29/2006, 09:53 AM

I agree completely. I still dont understand that one.

picasso
10/29/2006, 08:54 PM

yeah, I know all about going for the kill.
I was disappointed in the fact that we were down there twice with no points to show for it. like Merv said at halftime, the score did not indicate how the game was going.
my point is if we try for a first and get it, we still end up with 3 points.
2 FG's giving us 22 points at halftime would have made me fell mucho better.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2006, 10:09 PM
If I was a DC in Mizzou, I would've been screaming like an idiot from the sideline to play up and press for the slip screen. Funny thing is, if I was Kevin Wilson, that's what I would've called.

I would've stopped my own amazing playcalling! I need a D-1 job.

Or I could just nod my head in simple pleasure because I like it when we cut out the BS and just go for the throat.

CtheB
10/29/2006, 10:17 PM
I think the 4th down call was a calculated effort. Mizzou hadn't stopped the run, had already given up one 4th down conversion, so if you're Wilson, you've go to think you have a good chance of getting Kelly in man coverage down the field..thus the call. Problem is, they dropped into zone, and we had to force the pass. Reality is, Thompson with a little more experience would have seen the zone tucked it and ran.

picasso
10/30/2006, 10:18 AM
you mean he would have checked his progression and seen a wide open TE.:)

SoonerAcesUp
10/30/2006, 11:43 AM
First of all on the Missouri miscues, why can't everyone (especially the announcers) just give OU credit for making the plays? We tip the pass and intercept it, Williams puts his helmet right on the ball and causes the fumble, Carter busts through the line to block the punt, Walker has tight coverage and steps in front to intercept the pass. Sounds to me like the Sooners were in good position to make the plays! Great job by the defense! We're getting back to the pressure and aggressive defense we are accustomed to.

As for the announcers, we all know Musburger hates OU for some reason and I get sick of seeing him do our games. The only time he got excited for any reason was when Missouri was doing something good.

On the 4th and 1 call I thought it was a great call and by listening to the coaches show last night it sounded like they had planned on using it for just that situation. Stoops said that in practice that the scout team safety kept jumping the TE route and Kelly had been wide open so Thompson just didn't make the right read in the game. Great play call! I like going for the kill and not going the conservative route.