PDA

View Full Version : $!@$%)(@! Insomnia

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2006, 07:49 AM
So I didn't take any ambien last night since I wasn't going to go to bed until midnight and I was going to have to be up in less than 8 hours to watch the OU game.

So I only slept for about 2.5 hours, it's 4:47 in the morning now, and I'm crankier than a one-armed guy turning a handle on speed.

I don't want to go to bed, because I'll just lay there, and if I go to sleep I'm gonna sleep right through an alarm and miss the game.

I hate 11am kickoffs so much.

fadada1
10/28/2006, 07:53 AM
i was just about to ask why you were up so early (seeing that you're in alaska and all).

try taking 1 sominex (comes in a pack of 2). i've been doing that lately and have found that i can wake up pretty easily.

tulsaoilerfan
10/28/2006, 08:50 AM
I feel your pain Mike; my Doctor told me to take the Ambien for 2 weeks, then not at all for 2 weeks; i've actually been taking it a little longer than that, so i thought on Thursday night i would try and not take it, and that was a HUGE mistake. I probably slept 3 hours, if that, and woke up at least a dozen times;last night i popped one in and slept soundly again; think i'm addicted? LOL

fadada1
10/28/2006, 09:01 AM
i've noticed that i need less and less sleep as i'm getting older... and i never need a lot to begin with. i would say i only get about 4 decent hours a night (unless i'm WAY tired, then i get about 6). still, i don't feel like i need a nap during the day. if i do take a nap during the day, it's about 15 minutes long and i'm up until 3 am.

apparently napoleon only got about 2 hours a night. he seemed to turn out ok:D ;)

OUDoc
10/28/2006, 09:17 AM
You've got to be careful with sleepers. As you've seen, they are highly addictive and it doesn't take long until it's hard to sleep without one. I always warn my patients about sleeping pills (use no more than 3-4 nights/week). Try Benadryl 50mg at night or ask your doc for Elavil. At higher doses, it's an old anti-depressant. At lower doses, it helps with sleep and can even help with chronic pain. They're still not much better, IMO, than more addictive sleeping pills, but I feel better using those long-term than Ambien. There's also a newer "non-addictive" sleeping med called Rozarem, but I haven't had great results with it. Good luck.

Cam
10/28/2006, 10:16 AM
So I didn't take any ambien last night since I wasn't going to go to bed until midnight and I was going to have to be up in less than 8 hours to watch the OU game.

So I only slept for about 2.5 hours, it's 4:47 in the morning now, and I'm crankier than a one-armed guy turning a handle on speed.

I don't want to go to bed, because I'll just lay there, and if I go to sleep I'm gonna sleep right through an alarm and miss the game.

I hate 11am kickoffs so much.
Closers don't have to rely on sleeping pills. Just sayin. ;)

proud gonzo
10/28/2006, 04:05 PM
my grandma has trouble sleeping without some sort of sleeping pill. She knows she's addicted to them, but she figures at her age that's the least of her worries.

Rogue
10/29/2006, 11:14 AM
Remember the insomnia themed Northern Exposure episodes? Good times.

Mjcpr
10/29/2006, 11:49 AM
my grandma has trouble sleeping without some sort of sleeping pill. She knows she's addicted to them, but she figures at her age that's the least of her worries.

Your grandma?

What is she....50, 55? :D

Okla-homey
10/29/2006, 02:24 PM
You've got to be careful with sleepers. As you've seen, they are highly addictive and it doesn't take long until it's hard to sleep without one. I always warn my patients about sleeping pills (use no more than 3-4 nights/week). Try Benadryl 50mg at night or ask your doc for Elavil. At higher doses, it's an old anti-depressant. At lower doses, it helps with sleep and can even help with chronic pain. They're still not much better, IMO, than more addictive sleeping pills, but I feel better using those long-term than Ambien. There's also a newer "non-addictive" sleeping med called Rozarem, but I haven't had great results with it. Good luck.

whiskey works, but it too can be addictive. Just saying.

tulsaoilerfan
10/29/2006, 08:18 PM
True dat:D

OUDoc
10/29/2006, 08:50 PM
It's also cheaper and more fun than Ambien. ;)