PDA

View Full Version : 600 lb. man causes grease fire

Sooner_Bob
10/27/2006, 12:16 PM
I have never heard of this before (http://www.abc4.com/local_news/local_headlines/story.aspx?content_id=231A7EEB-BB03-4D79-B967-2EEA839D3D98)

A dead man had one final earthly act before moving on.

Fire officials said the six-hundred pound man was in being cremated when his body fluids were too much for the oven.

The body fluids seeped out onto the floor and ignited causing a fire at the Garner Funeral Home in Salt Lake City.

"Those fluids can be very flammable," said Scott Freitag of the Salt Lake City fire department. "Sort of like a grease fire."

An employee used an extinguisher to put out the fire.

The room is self-contained and has its own drainage system.

"There really is no risk or a hazard of it getting into the sewer system, the water system or into the general public," said Freitag.

Firefighters rarely see these kind of fires.

But they say a six-hundred-pound body can create problems during a cremation.

"It really does condense or breaks down that fat into a greasy product, just like a grease fire," said Freitag. "Only a little bit can cause a flame to go up."

The crematorium is back in business and the funeral director said they'll notify the family to assure them their loved one wasn't harmed.

proud gonzo
10/27/2006, 12:23 PM
tell me, how exactly could their loved one have been harmed? I mean, they DID want him cremated, right? What more could happen? :confused:

crawfish
10/27/2006, 12:24 PM
De-greased in the comatorium! :D

(winces...)

10/27/2006, 12:24 PM
Well, there's the turning off the gas while you scrape his burning fat off of the floor part.

soonerinabilene
10/27/2006, 12:25 PM
said they'll notify the family to assure them their loved one wasn't harmed.
uhh...wow... totally...at...a...loss...for...words...

OUDoc
10/27/2006, 12:50 PM
But is he still dead? It doesn't say.

;)

10/27/2006, 12:52 PM
If not, that's going to leave one HECKOVA nasty mark.

Widescreen
10/27/2006, 12:54 PM
I hate the mess made by grease. You always have to use the grill scraper brush to get it all off.

10/27/2006, 12:57 PM
Nah, just turn it on "HIGH" for ten minutes.

Pricetag
10/27/2006, 01:15 PM
I saw a documentary on spontaneous human combustion on one of those Discovery channels, and they demonstrated how a human body, with just a small amount of accelerant, excess body fat, and synthetic fiber clothes could create a fire hot enough to totally burn everything up, including the bones. Their theory was that most cases of spontaneous combustion are actually unfortunate situations where alcohol and burning cigarettes form a lethal combination.

10/27/2006, 01:18 PM
I always thought it involved a trip to Whataburger and two vodka shots.

crawfish
10/27/2006, 01:54 PM
De-greased in the comatorium! :D

(winces...)

*sigh*.

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/27/2006, 01:57 PM
I saw a documentary on spontaneous human combustion on one of those Discovery channels, and they demonstrated how a human body, with just a small amount of accelerant, excess body fat, and synthetic fiber clothes could create a fire hot enough to totally burn everything up, including the bones. Their theory was that most cases of spontaneous combustion are actually unfortunate situations where alcohol and burning cigarettes form a lethal combination.

I saw that, too.

What was weird about it was that only the body would burn. Nothing around it would catch on fire.

Like they showed a body in a bed all burned up and the sheets around the body weren't even burned. They said it was like the fire consumed itself until it went out.

Very strange.

Oh, and I'd cause one hell of a fire. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

TUSooner
10/27/2006, 05:13 PM
But is he still dead? It doesn't say.

;)

Yes. Dead but unharmed.

Sorry, that's dead. burned to ashes. and unharmed

sanantoniosooner
10/27/2006, 05:32 PM
That happened to me one time when I was cremating some chicken.

LoyalFan
10/27/2006, 05:38 PM
Seems a terrible waste to me. Coulda collected the run-off and put same to good use. You know, like make some fries, lube a noisy hinge, or offer some to the couple above Melo's apartment.

Sincerely,

Alfred M. Packer
Deceased
c/o Food Services
University of Colorado, Boulder

OUDoc
10/27/2006, 06:51 PM
That happened to me one time when I was cremating some chicken.
I thought that said "creaming" at first. Sorry. Carry on.

william_brasky
10/27/2006, 06:54 PM
I bet it smelled like bacon.

Soonrboy
10/27/2006, 09:48 PM
when I get cremated, I hope the gravy running through my veins doesn't put out the fire.