PDA

View Full Version : Columbia, MO area info

soonersweetie
10/27/2006, 11:35 AM
Ok, here's the situation-

hubby will be there this weekend for the game and has never been to Columbia before. Where are some of the fun spots - restaurants, bars, etc - for Fri night/Sat night?

Any assistance is much appreciated!

Thanks and Boomer Sooner

Rick_MU
10/27/2006, 12:24 PM
The town has grown significantly since I was in school there. I was there last weekend though and there are some new bars (that seem to be popular) at Forum and Stadium Blvd. I highly recommend that he find "Murry's" off providence and green valley road and get a Philly Cheese Steak!!! Very good!! It's kind of hidden, but nice atmosphere (jazz bar/restaurant).

I liked going to "Spanky's Sports Bar" while there for the Nebraska game last year. It's in the Holiday Inn off Stadium Blvd at I-70. It'll get him away from the drunken college students, and still provide a nice place to watch football the rest of the day.

Most things in Columbia can be found by just traveling on Stadium Blvd. Shakespear's Pizza is downtown on the edge of campus, and that is a good place to eat. The Heidlberg is very good (across the street from Shakespears).

Parking can be bad....so I recommend he either park at the bottom of Providence Ave at the reactor, or across the street from the stadium in one of the parking garages before they fill up (I think they each cost $10). From the parking garage, he can walk across campus to downtown and check out the stores of the pizza place and restaurant above. Most vistor tailgates will take place at the reactor parking lot at the base of the hill (at the light at Stadium and Providence, regardless of which way you are driving on Stadium, go the direction of the Missouri Crosswalk. That will take you down the hill to the reactor parking lot (easy to see). It's a hike back up the hill for the game, but it's easy to get out of after the game, I would think.

Sorry I'm not of much more help...it's been a long time since I was living in Columbia. I did hear, after my trip last weekend, that the bars I mentioned that are in the strip mall at Forum and Stadium Blvd, provide some sort of shuttle to the game if he wants to try that route. The post game show is done at one of those bars, so it might be filled with people after the game.

GO TIGERS!!!!

Flagstaffsooner
10/27/2006, 01:00 PM
But Rick, where do you find the MO HO's?

Boomer.....
10/27/2006, 01:05 PM
But Rick, where do you find the HO MO's?
Fixed. ;)

Flagstaffsooner
10/27/2006, 01:13 PM
Fixed. ;)Here (http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Austin,+TX)

Al Gore
10/27/2006, 01:44 PM
But Rick, where do you find the MO HO's?I am waiting for a reply.....

Flagstaffsooner
10/27/2006, 02:00 PM
I am waiting for a reply.....I figured you'd chime in on this.:D

Blitzkrieg
10/27/2006, 02:12 PM
Downtown is clean and safe, just walk around and hit bars. Harpos, CJs, there's a bar every few feet.

If you see Booches before the game, get a greasy burger.

soonersweetie
10/27/2006, 02:14 PM
The town has grown significantly since I was in school there. I was there last weekend though and there are some new bars (that seem to be popular) at Forum and Stadium Blvd. I highly recommend that he find "Murry's" off providence and green valley road and get a Philly Cheese Steak!!! Very good!! It's kind of hidden, but nice atmosphere (jazz bar/restaurant).

I liked going to "Spanky's Sports Bar" while there for the Nebraska game last year. It's in the Holiday Inn off Stadium Blvd at I-70. It'll get him away from the drunken college students, and still provide a nice place to watch football the rest of the day.

Most things in Columbia can be found by just traveling on Stadium Blvd. Shakespear's Pizza is downtown on the edge of campus, and that is a good place to eat. The Heidlberg is very good (across the street from Shakespears).

Parking can be bad....so I recommend he either park at the bottom of Providence Ave at the reactor, or across the street from the stadium in one of the parking garages before they fill up (I think they each cost $10). From the parking garage, he can walk across campus to downtown and check out the stores of the pizza place and restaurant above. Most vistor tailgates will take place at the reactor parking lot at the base of the hill (at the light at Stadium and Providence, regardless of which way you are driving on Stadium, go the direction of the Missouri Crosswalk. That will take you down the hill to the reactor parking lot (easy to see). It's a hike back up the hill for the game, but it's easy to get out of after the game, I would think.

Sorry I'm not of much more help...it's been a long time since I was living in Columbia. I did hear, after my trip last weekend, that the bars I mentioned that are in the strip mall at Forum and Stadium Blvd, provide some sort of shuttle to the game if he wants to try that route. The post game show is done at one of those bars, so it might be filled with people after the game.

GO TIGERS!!!!

Thanks for all the info!

BOOMER SOONER!!!!:D