PDA

View Full Version : Can We Pull Off Seven Straight Wins..??

Blues1
10/27/2006, 10:15 AM
Without AD are We Ready For This...??

Looking at Our Schedule Looks to me The Mizzou Game Now Holds "The Key" to the rest of our Schedule....

We Win Saturday and we should have a Good *Confidence Factor* working for our Benefit

We Lose this weekend and it looks to me the Season could be up for grabs --

2 Wins Down - FIVE Wins to Go...!!! -- The Time to Get Rockin' is at Hand.....
Some "Sooner Magic" Sure Wouldn't Hurt..... The Real Facts Are:

Worst Case - 5 and 7
Best Case -10 and 2

Sept 2 vs. UAB W 24 - 17
Sept 9 vs. Washington W 37 - 20
Sept 16 at Oregon L 33 - 34
Sept 23 vs. Middle Tennessee W 59 - 0
Oct 7 vs. Texas L 10 - 28

*Oct 14 vs. Iowa State W 34 - 9
*Oct 21 vs. Colorado W 24 - 3

*Oct 28 at Missouri 12:00 PM ET

*Nov 4 at Texas A&M 2:00 PM ET
*Nov 11 vs. Texas Tech TBA
*Nov 18 at Baylor TBA
*Nov 25 at Oklahoma State 2:30 PM ET

*Bowl Game...??? (Need One For AD to have One More Game)

BIG_IKE
10/27/2006, 11:18 AM
We could...
The only downside would be if us and Nebraska won out we would help UT's NC chances by increasing their BCS rating...

That being said, them winnng out and us winning out increases our chances at an at-large BCs bid.

There is gonna be a ton of losses in the next month to Top 10 teams because they all play eachother. UT and OU should both win out, putting us in prime position to take advantage of it.

An ideal situation though, would be for us to win out and UT to lose two, then we could snatch a automatic BCS bid by winning the CCG, but that seems unlikely. Not impossible...but unlikely.

Tear Down This Wall
10/27/2006, 11:32 AM
Let me just say this...the Big 12 is crappy enough for anything to happen - except Baylor or Tech to win the conference. It's not that crappy yet. That's Sun Belt-level crappy.

SOONERKAT
10/27/2006, 11:41 AM
We are going to find out all we need to know about OUr chances this weekend. The rest of the teams we play, save for A&M, live and die by the pass. If we can't shut down MU, then we are going to have problems with Tech, and yes, even Baylor and the pokes. The D has stepped up big time in the last few games, and shut down ISU's passing game as well, so I am pretty confident that it can be done. Regardless, the run to a bowl game will be some good football for sure.

westcoast_sooner
10/27/2006, 12:11 PM
4 of our last 5 are on the road. It's going to be tough to run the table, but not impossible. This bunch is starting to come along as a team, and I think better than last year. The guys we had last year started off slowly, and just kept getting better. But we still had some senior experience we lost, and had to come back and somewhat rebuild/retool. This year, the kids also got off to a slow start, and we've had to deal with nothing but adversity. Our QB is playing much much better than most expected, and a lot of the young guys are making plays.

I think the game tomorrow will tell us what we've got, but we've already been to Eugene and to Dallas. I'd say both of those were tougher games than tomorrow's will be.

BIG_IKE
10/27/2006, 01:48 PM
Let me just say this...the Big 12 is crappy enough for anything to happen - except Baylor or Tech to win the conference. It's not that crappy yet. That's Sun Belt-level crappy.

How is the Big 12 crappy, when none of our remaining games are a gimmee,
Texas is tough, Nebraska is tough...

It's people that think like you that have teams like West Virginia and some overrated SEC teams at the top of the rankings.

We are not as bad as people make it seem and we prove it every year during Bowl Season.
SEC teams beating eachother= SEc is tough
OU & NU not being undefeated = Big 12 is crappy

That is total crap.:mad:

badger
10/27/2006, 01:51 PM
Now that the 47 record is no longer at risk, Texas will turn back into Texas soon enough... and they will lose the nat'l title if they arrive there, which they won't.

BIG_IKE
10/27/2006, 01:53 PM
4 of our last 5 are on the road. It's going to be tough to run the table, but not impossible. This bunch is starting to come along as a team, and I think better than last year. The guys we had last year started off slowly, and just kept getting better. But we still had some senior experience we lost, and had to come back and somewhat rebuild/retool. This year, the kids also got off to a slow start, and we've had to deal with nothing but adversity. Our QB is playing much much better than most expected, and a lot of the young guys are making plays.

I think the game tomorrow will tell us what we've got, but we've already been to Eugene and to Dallas. I'd say both of those were tougher games than tomorrow's will be.

You brought up a good point...

2006 Texas A&M > 2005 Texas A&M
2006 OU > 2005 OU
2006 MU > 2005 MU
2006 NU > 2005 NU
2006 Baylor > 2005 Baylor
2006 Texas < 2005 Texas But still a top 5 team...

Now that I think about it...
2006 K-State > 2005 K-State
2006 O-State > 2005 O-State

Kansas is Kansas
Iowa State is down, but not out, they have a favorable remaining schedule
Colorado is down
Texas Tech is inconsistent, but still a threat to most.

HOW THE HELL IS OUR CONFERENCE CRAPPY?
Is the Big 10 better top to bottom? No
Big East? No
ACC? No
PAc-10? No
Big-10? NO
SEC? Maybe...but maybe not.

OSUAggie
10/27/2006, 02:26 PM
The rest of the teams we play, save for A&M, live and die by the pass.....

OSU and A&M are 2 of maybe 5 (somewhere around there) teams that avg. over 200 yards rushing and passing....

badger
10/27/2006, 02:29 PM
OSU and A&M are 2 of maybe 5 (somewhere around there) teams that avg. over 200 yards rushing and passing....
Oh no, another aggie. I think Satan is a tad chilled right now ;)

TJKDone
10/27/2006, 02:47 PM
No.

It is in the realm of possibility, but "confidence" won't be able to replace AP. You'll do well though.

Hook'em

Blues1
10/27/2006, 03:24 PM
"IF" OU does Finish Out with 7 Straight Wins ..?? - With everything thats happened at OU this year - Bob Stoops should be Looked at For "Coach of the Year" even though that award will probably go to the Coach of the National Champs....

Worst Case 5 and 7
Best Case 10 and 2

Las Vegas Odds are most Likely somewhere in-Between Worst & Best

Pick One

6 and 6
7 and 5
8 and 4
9 and 3
10 and 2

To Be Cont' Late Saturday Afternoon.....
R'

Tear Down This Wall
10/27/2006, 03:49 PM
How is the Big 12 crappy, when none of our remaining games are a gimmee,
Texas is tough, Nebraska is tough...

It's people that think like you that have teams like West Virginia and some overrated SEC teams at the top of the rankings.

We are not as bad as people make it seem and we prove it every year during Bowl Season.
SEC teams beating eachother= SEc is tough
OU & NU not being undefeated = Big 12 is crappy

That is total crap.:mad:

Texas is tough? Really? Because they beat North Texas? Rice? Sam Houston State? Iowa State? Us? You've got to be kidding. The only real team they played this year has been Ohio State, who kicked the crap out them on their own turf.

Nebraska? I don't know which is more impressive, the Louisiana Tech, Nicholls State, or Troy State win. Maybe it was being forced into overtime, at home, by Kansas. Wow. Now, that's impressive.

For your edification, The Big 12's out of conference record against ranked teams in 2006

Missouri: played no ranked out of conference teams. They did beat I-AA Murray State, though.
Nebraska: 0-1, lost to USC. They did manage a win versus I-AA Nicholls State.
Kansas State: 0-1, lost to Louisville. They did squeek by I-AA Illinois State 24-23. A nailbiter at home. That's great football.
Colorado: 0-2, losses to Arizona State and Georgia. Also, a loss to I-AA Montana State. If that doesn't scream out, 'Excellent football is played here in the Big 12 in 2006' I don't know what does.
Kansas: did not play any ranked out of conference teams. They did manhandle I-AA Northwestern State and squeek by Sun Belt Conference patsy Louisiana-Monroe. Quite a resume.
Iowa State: 0-1, lost to Iowa. No matter, they eeked out a 28-27 victory over I-AA Northern Iowa, who were playing without Kurt Warner.

Big 12 North versus ranked out of conference opponents in 2006: 0-5
Losses to I-AA teams: 1
One point wins at home over I-AA teams: 2

Power stuff in the Big 12 North this year.

Texas: 0-1, clobbered by Ohio State at home. No worries, they rebounded in time for a home game with I-AA Sam Houston State.
Texas A&M: did not play any ranked teams; they did hang 35 on I-AA The Citadel in a win. That's right. A whole 35 against I-AA The Citidel. In their defense, I guess you could point out their 51-7 win versus Sun Belt title contender Louisiana-Lafayette. I mean, I guess you could. And, from the sounds of it, you probably would.
Baylor: 0-1, lost to TCU. They did, however, later beat I-AA Northwestern State. Yes, the same Northwestern State Kansas beat. I didn't know Northwestern State was a Big 12 team. They sure are popular with the Kansas' and Baylors of the world, though.
Oklahoma: 0-1, lost to Oregon. To our credit, we did not schedule any I-AA teams. Also, we shut out our Sun Belt Conference opponent, Middle Tennessee State. That was a thrill worth writing home about.
Texas Tech: 0-1, lost to TCU (hmmm...maybe TCU should be in the Big 12. No one in the conference can beat them anymore. That's different than the current private school we have in the conference.); Texas Tech rebounded from the TCU fiasco to beat I-AA Southeastern Louisiana 62-0. Hey, at least SE Lou didn't take Tech to the wire like I-AA teams did to the Big 12 North "powers."
Oklahoma State: played no ranked out of conference teams. The Pokes opened 2006 with I-AA Missouri State before moving onto Sun Belt megaforces Arkansas State and Florida Atlantic. Okay, so Oklahoma State did have the balls to play the Sun Belt's Arkansas State on the road. I mean, that could have been bad. Heck, a few years ago Baylor lost 52-10 to Sun Belt power North Texas when they visited the Mean Green in Denton. I mean, Arkansas State could have won, in theory...or, in Boulder :D

Big 12 South versus ranked non-conference opponents in 2006: 0-4
Losses to I-AA teams - and, see, this is obviously where the national media isn't giving us our due in the Big 12 South. I mean look at the way Texas and Texas Tech manhanded Sam Houston State and Southeastern Louisiana.
One point wins at home over I-AA teams: 0 - again, the Big 12 South obviously knows how to take care of business at home against the giants of the I-AA.

I'm not great a math, but it looks like the Big 12 went 0-9 versus ranked, non-conference opponents in 2006. Gee, and the media isn't fawning all over us. I can't imagine why not. I mean, out of 12 teams, only one didn't even schedule a I-AA team.

What a crazy, messed up world we live in.

OSUAggie
10/27/2006, 04:03 PM
Conversely, the SEC non-con schedule is even worse than the Big XII non-con schedule, somehow, but at least they beat 1-AA teams... except when Maine comes down to play every now and then.

10/27/2006, 04:26 PM
Whew, TDTW, that was EPIC!!

SicEmBaylor
10/27/2006, 04:50 PM
TDTW,
Typically we have a fairly respectable non-conference schedule. Northwestern was an exception but if you want to latch onto that and claim it's par for our non-conf course then you're just dead wrong. If you want to then point fingers at Aggie who routinely schedule these kinds of opponets.

Yes we lost to TCU but it was the first game of the year having installed a radically new offense than what we used to run. And you can hardly criticize for losing to TCU in the first game of the year...

We played Washington State tough in Washington who beat Oregon who "officially" beat you (i know i know...).

The real criticism should be for the Army game which was inexcusable.

birddog
10/27/2006, 05:01 PM
i think he's criticizing the conference as a whole, not just baylor. he's dead on though, you have to admit that.

everyone plays weak sisters every year. but its tough to look at wins in conference because you can't make fair comparisons with other conferences.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/28/2006, 10:48 AM
No.

It is in the realm of possibility, but "confidence" won't be able to replace AP. You'll do well though.

texass Sucks

Why would we want to replace AP?? That makes no sense, he had 35 carries last week! BTW, I fixed your statement ;)

Blues1
10/28/2006, 02:40 PM
3 Straight WINS --- 4 TO GO.....!!!

Best Case -10 and 2

Sept 2 vs. UAB W 24 - 17
Sept 9 vs. Washington W 37 - 20
Sept 16 at Oregon L 33 - 34
Sept 23 vs. Middle Tennessee W 59 - 0
Oct 7 vs. Texas L 10 - 28

*Oct 14 vs. Iowa State W 34 - 9
*Oct 21 vs. Colorado W 24 - 3

*Oct 28 at Missouri W 26 -10

*Nov 4 at Texas A&M 2:00 PM ET
*Nov 11 vs. Texas Tech TBA
*Nov 18 at Baylor TBA
*Nov 25 at Oklahoma State 2:30 PM ET

*Bowl Game...??? (Need One For AD to have One More Game)

Keep R'

King Crimson
10/28/2006, 02:43 PM
we'll have our work cut out for us next week....with 90,000 nutsquezing boyscouts foaming at the mouth.

soonerdave79
10/28/2006, 02:46 PM
we'll have our work cut out for us next week....with 90,000 nutsquezing boyscouts foaming at the mouth.
Are you sure that's foam?

CrimsonChampion
10/28/2006, 04:38 PM

The Big 12 is the second best conference behind sec

Our power teams are better than theirs but overall it's better, for now.

OU, UT, NEB, MIZZ, aTm, TECH are all solid teams, and I'm convinced if we get by aTm we can play with anyone in the nation now that we've gone through the season a little.

Altogether I think we've finally come together as a team and our gonna be very hard to beat as we progress though the season, only problem I have is playcalling in CERTAIN situations...... I don't know how I got into all of that but theerrre u go..

boooo big 12 conference doggers, HOORAY BEER!

Tear Down This Wall
10/29/2006, 02:07 PM
TDTW,
Typically we have a fairly respectable non-conference schedule. Northwestern was an exception but if you want to latch onto that and claim it's par for our non-conf course then you're just dead wrong. If you want to then point fingers at Aggie who routinely schedule these kinds of opponets.

Yes we lost to TCU but it was the first game of the year having installed a radically new offense than what we used to run. And you can hardly criticize for losing to TCU in the first game of the year...

We played Washington State tough in Washington who beat Oregon who "officially" beat you (i know i know...).

The real criticism should be for the Army game which was inexcusable.

Hey, man, look...

I don't want to be constantly arguing with you about this, okay. I've got nothing against Baylor as a school. If my son someday gets any kind of scholarship offer to go there, it'd be at the top of the list. But, football is different.

Baylor has had at least one I-AA on the schedule for five years in a row (2002-Samford, 2003-Sam Houston State, 2004-Texas State, 2005-Samford again, and 2006-Northwestern State). It's crappy. Yes, other schools do it, but that doesn't make it any less crappy.

Schools in BCS conference simply should be d*cking around with I-AA teams. Let the Utah States and Kent States of the world drop down and play the I-AAs. It's just not right and proves nothing about a legitimate I-A team.

Baylor is not where it belongs. It's nothing like the other Big 12 teams. Baylor could be like TCU or better if had to fend for itself, scrap for TV time, and win some games in order to get money. Because it's had to survive on it's own, TCU has had some excellent years. They've got like a four game winning streak versus Big 12 teams, something Baylor, a Big 12 team, could only dream of.

You get agitated and offended when I say Baylor doesn't belong, but it would be better for the Baylor football program if it weren't. I won't even touch what good it would do the Baylor men's basketball team.

Just look at everything in the big picture. If you want Baylor to have a winning football program, they're going to have to leave the Big 12. It's just that simple. And..take Texas Tech with you. Their tricked up offense that produces no championships combined with their steadfast refusal to play defense are perfect for the WAC or Mountain West.

ClintonSooner
10/29/2006, 02:21 PM
"Can we pull of 7 straight wins?"

yes, a couple of games can/will be a dog fight, but I see us going straight here on out.

Might be a fun year afterall.

tulsaoilerfan
10/29/2006, 05:08 PM
IF the officials don't get in the way, i like our chances after the way we played yesterday