View Full Version : Nice Article on Stephen Alexander

1stTimeCaller
10/26/2006, 08:31 PM
the broncos interviews - stephen alexander
Alexander's many sports include BMX
By Mike Klis
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:10/23/2006 11:42:27 PM MDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2006/1021/20061021_061317_sp22alexander1_500.jpg

"It's the most unbelievable experience I've had. I was talking to some guys about it in the weight room and I started getting choked up. Tony Scheffler's wife is expecting and he's worried about it, scared. I'm like, 'Man, I know you're not sure if you're ready.' I wasn't sure I was ready, and I was married for a while. But I said, 'It's the coolest experience you'll have.'"- Stephen Alexander, on his son, Cooper (Post / Glenn Asakawa)

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2006/1021/20061021_061415_sp22alexander2_200.jpg

As the above portrait shows, family is important to Broncos tight end Stephen Alexander. Raised with twin brother Michael in Chickasha (pronounced Chick-a-shay), Okla., a town of about 18,000 located a half-hour southwest of Oklahoma City, Alexander married his high school sweetheart, Mandie. After attending the University of Oklahoma, Alexander played for the Redskins, Chargers and Lions before signing with the Broncos before the 2005 season.

Klis: When you were a kid growing up, what was your typical summer day like?

Alexander: I was a BMX kid. My best friend and I, we both had bikes and we rode all over the place. I mean, I would ride 20, 30 miles in one day, easy.

Klis: And wouldn't you know it, you grew up and became a motorcycle buff. When did you get your first motorcycle?

Alexander: The first house we grew up in, up until eighth or ninth grade, we had a lot of open space behind us and me and my twin brother, we always had three-wheelers. We'd shoot our pellet guns, go fishing and three-wheeling. I didn't get my first real motorcycle until I was in college.

Klis: And it goes without saying the University of Oklahoma boosters had nothing to do with that?

Alexander: I wish. I was there during some lean times. Not to say we didn't have a lot of support, but we didn't win a whole lot. I had three head coaches my four years - Gary Gibbs was my first year, Howard *************** my second year and then John Blake my last two years. Three head coaches and four offensive coordinators.

Klis: As a

Broncos wallpaper

Save this Denver Post portrait to your monitor screen. Click the image above. Right-click your mouse over the new, larger image. Select "Set as Background." Voila!
two-time Oklahoma state high jump champion, what do you say when you hear the phrase, "White men can't jump"?
Alexander: I'm living proof to the contrary. That was the only reason I played basketball - to dunk on people, or block shots. Oklahoma isn't known for its high school basketball. I was a 6-4, 6-5 center. I couldn't handle the ball. I could shoot OK.

Klis: Sounds like you had some choices about which sport to pursue seriously.

Alexander: I remember going into my sophomore year, my basketball coach talked me out of playing football. He thought my future was in basketball. So I went home and told me dad I wasn't going to play football anymore. My dad was like, "I think you should take your time and think about it." At the time, he didn't know I would end up playing in college or the pros. He just wanted me to experience everything. It worked out pretty well.

Klis: So once again, father knows best. Any funky karma between you and your twin brother? I guess I should ask if you're identical twins.

Alexander: No, we're fraternal. We think a lot alike in a lot of situations, but I don't feel his pain, he doesn't feel my pain like a lot of people say. And we're really different people. We were really close growing up, but as we've gotten older we're not as close as we used to be. He has his interests - he's a big outdoorsman, he's single.

Klis: There are high school

Broncos tight end Stephen Alexander poses with one of his biggest fans, son Cooper, 1. (Post / Glenn Asakawa)sweethearts. And there are childhood sweethearts. You and your wife are a little of both.
Alexander: We were on the same T-ball team. We had a slumber party after the season, but her mom wouldn't let her spend the night. I mean, we were 5 years old. We still give her a hard time about that. We actually didn't have our first official date until the summer between our freshman and sophomore years in high school.

Klis: All right, here we go. Your friends and family host a dinner in your honor. The plates are cleared and it's time for the speeches. What do they say about you?

Alexander: I would like for people to say I'm very dedicated in what I do. It's not only about spending time, it's about doing things right. I hope people think I'm a giving person, I like to help people in need. People would probably say I'm stubborn. I like to do things my way. It's like when I open the pantry door and stuff isn't in place or organized the way I think it should be, it drives me crazy.

Klis: Heaven help Mandie. In my 14 years of covering big-league sports, you're one of the few pro players who will ask questions about what's happening in the reporters' lives.

Alexander: I love meeting people. My wife gives me guff all the time because we could be in the grocery store and run into somebody I don't know and talk to him for 30 minutes. She's like, "You don't even know him." I never thought I should be better than other people just because I play football.

Klis: That selfless quality served you well as you went from pass-catching tight end, where you got stats and touchdowns and glory, to blocking tight end here in Denver.

Alexander: It would be tough if I was doing that and we were an average team, but I understand it's not the most important thing for this organization to win. I've caught passes, been to the Pro Bowl. I remember sitting there in Hawaii going, "This is great being around all these great players," but I'd much rather play for a ring than this little cruddy watch you get for going to the Pro Bowl.

The Alexander file
*6-feet-4, 250 pounds.

*Selected by Washington in the second round (48th overall) of the 1998 NFL draft out of Oklahoma. Came to Denver in 2005 as an unrestricted free agent after one season in Detroit.

*Was a 2000 Pro Bowl selection.

*Has 2,415 career yards receiving, including 56 this season.

*His blocking in 2005 helped the Broncos become the second-best rushing team in the league (158.7 yards per game).

Mike Klis can be reached at 303-954-1055 or [email protected].

Hope you enjoy it

sooner_born_1960
10/26/2006, 11:38 PM
Klis: And it goes without saying the University of Oklahoma boosters had nothing to do with that?
The difference between a mediocre writer and a ****** bag.

picasso
10/26/2006, 11:48 PM
Colorado types quickly forget they set the bar with gangster players in the 80's and given the recent crap they've had with Gary Hairnett they shouldn't be throwing too many stones.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/27/2006, 07:09 AM
One of the bright spots in a crappy era of OU football