PDA

View Full Version : Pendleton foregoing Senior season to go to Gradutate School

colleyvillesooner
10/26/2006, 02:13 PM
Good for him. This changes things on the DL next year, but there are bigger things than football.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=659288

Pendleton Lands Scholarship
Courtesy: SoonerSports.com Release: 10/26/2006

NORMAN, Okla. -- In this time of college athletes forgoing senior seasons of eligibility in favor of a professional sports career, early departures are somewhat common.

The same cannot be said of early departures for graduate school. But that is precisely the path chosen by Oklahoma defensive tackle Carl Pendleton.

Pendleton, who is the legal guardian for his 10-year-old brother, Kierstan, plans to complete his football career at the end of this, his junior season on the Sooner team. He will enter graduate school and concentrate on both his academic and family responsibilities.

The transition to graduate school became easier today when it was announced that Pendleton will receive one of nine $18,000 Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarships from the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame awarded to players on the Division I-A level.

“I wasn’t really sure about the decision of not playing next year,” Pendleton said. “I really needed some confirmation, and if $18,000 doesn’t confirm it then not much does. The ability to take care of school and spend more time with Kierstan is really a big thing.

"I think he was more excited than I was. He was dancing around saying, 'Isn't that like 18-grand?' So, yes, it's big."

Pendleton, a 3.86 student in sociology with a minor in religious studies, will be honored with other recipients at the 49th Annual Awards Dinner, a black-tie affair at New York City’s Waldorf Astoria, on Dec. 5.

Then it will be back to Norman to complete his undergraduate degree and begin thoughts of graduate school at OU and of being more available for Kierstan, a fifth-grade student at Lincoln Elementary in Norman. The two have resided together for about one year.

“With the new responsibility of raising my younger brother I realize that football is not the best choice for me,” Pendleton said. “Football was a way for me to get my education. Graduate School will allow me to further my education and allow me more time to spend raising my brother without having to play football. He has become my center.”

OU President David L. Boren voiced the university’s appreciation of Pendleton.

“The University of Oklahoma is extremely proud that Carl Pendleton has been selected for this prestigious national award,” Boren said. “I can think of no student-athlete who serves as a better role model for young people than Carl, who along with his responsibilities as a student and an athlete, has taken on the responsibility for helping to raise his younger brother.”

OU Athletics Director Joe Castiglione, a member of the NFF’s Board of Directors and a member of the organization’s executive committee, said the scholarship and Pendleton are a perfect match.

“In both quantity and quality, it is nearly impossible to measure the impact Carl has had on our athletics program, our campus and our community,” said Castiglione. “The National Football Foundation views its post-graduate scholarship program as an investment in the lives of exceptional young men. With his selfless attitude, an investment in Carl Pendleton stands to benefit thousands more that he will reach in his lifetime.”

Sooner head football coach Bob Stoops also had praise for Pendleton and support for his decision to move forward with his academic opportunities.

“Carl is remarkably bright, unselfish and dedicated to this university and his family,” Stoops said. “It is rewarding for all of us at OU to see him receive this scholarship and we support his decision. He has balanced family responsibilities with a broad range of campus and community activities, and still became a starter in one of the nation’s premier programs. I respect him as a person and trust him as much as any player I have ever coached.”

Pendleton becomes the eighth Sooner to receive this post-graduate scholarship. The others are Jack Mildren (1971), Joe Wylie (1972), Randy Hughes (1974), Lee Roy Selmon (1975), Jay McKim (1980), Evan Gatewood (1986) and Renaldo Works (2003). OU ranks No. 6 nationally among public institutions in the number of NFF Scholars produced, No. 12 among all universities.

Pendleton also is nominated for the Wuerffel Award, the John Wooden Citizenship Cup and the Bobby Bowden Award, all of which carry athletic, academic and community service components.

Pendleton has been a pillar of community service. Here is a rundown of his honors and involvement since coming to OU...

Honors
Jay Meyers Outstanding Student Athlete Award, 2003
Big XII First Team Academic All-American, 2005
Big XII First Team Academic All-American 2006
Participant in the 2006 NCAA Leadership Conference

University Involvement
Football Team Student Athlete Advisory Committee, 2003-05
Criminology Club (monthly)
Fellowship of Christian Athletes President (weekly)
Jesus Week Committee Board Member (weekly)
University of Oklahoma Cheerleading Squad, 2004

Community Involvement
Volunteer at Oklahoma Children’s Hospital (monthly)
Tutor and volunteer Washington Elementary (weekly)
Sunday school teacher, 3rd & 4th Grade Boys, 2004-2005
Sunday school teacher, 5th & 6th Grade Boys (weekly, Journey Church)
Motivational speaking to schools across Oklahoma (twice weekly)
Speaking to churches and youth Groups (weekly)
Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Oklahoma
FCA Director of Community Christian School (twice monthly)
FCA Summer Sports Camp Huddle leader, 2004-2005
Junior Sooner Sports Camp Volunteer, 2004-2005

2006 NFF Post-Graduate Scholarship Recipients (Division I-A)
Brian Daniels, University of Colorado, OG, Finance, Superior, Colo.
Rhema Fuller, University of Connecticut, DT, Finance, Cocoa, Fla.
Jay Henry, West Virginia University, LB, Finance / Accounting, Tulsa, Okla.
Chris Leak, University of Florida, QB, Sociology, Charlotte, N.C.
Brian Leonard, Rutgers University, FB, Labor & Employment Relations., Hailesboro, N.Y.
Carl Pendleton, University of Oklahoma, DT, Sociology, Sapulpa, Okla.
Paul Posluszny, Penn State University, LB, Finance, Aliquippa, Pa.
Joe Thomas, University of Wisconsin, OT Business, Brookfield, Wis.
John Wendling, University of Wyoming, S, Business Administration, Rock Springs, Wyo.

colleyvillesooner
10/26/2006, 02:17 PM
Nevermind, please delete. I seartched for Pendleton but spelled it wrong.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/26/2006, 02:23 PM
That is outstanding! Congratulations to Carl, very impressive achievement.

Wish there were more like him out there.

King Crimson
10/26/2006, 02:24 PM
you can edit the topic line by clicking edit, go advanced.....

and great for Carl.

cjames317
10/26/2006, 02:45 PM
What a great Sooner!!

SoonerGators
10/26/2006, 03:02 PM
Even though I can't say I know Carl personally, I know he has impacted a lot of lives around Norman and people speak so highly of him. He has a perspective on life that is beyond his years. I'm thrilled for him.

the_ouskull
10/26/2006, 05:11 PM
Absofreakin'lutely awesome. After all of the bad news we've had come our way this year, it's nice to see that some guys are willing to carry this much weight. Go Carl. What a great Sooner.

So, uh... any 5* D-Line recruits from Bugtussle that we need to know about?

the_ouskull