PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma gub and lt. gub debates

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 09:58 AM
The Texas gub debate thread reminded of the recent debates between Henry and Istook, and Askins and Hiett. Anybody see them?

I completely disagree with Istook...I think he's a quack....but he totally ripped Henry a new one. Henry acted timid, scared, and afraid to confront Istook.

As far as last night's lt. governor's debate, it was a fairly mild discussion of the issues. Askins came off better than expected, for some reason. Both seemed equally competent, though I can't stand Hiett's right-wing bent.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/26/2006, 10:05 AM
I saw that totally differently. Henry came across to me as calm and collected. Why go on the defensive when someone is misrepresenting things?

NormanPride
10/26/2006, 10:06 AM
Istook and Hiett scare me for some reason.

The
10/26/2006, 10:24 AM
Henry just has to not screw anything up and he wins this in a landslide.

Rhino
10/26/2006, 10:50 AM
Henry just has to not screw anything up and he wins this in a landslide. Yep.

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 11:17 AM
I saw that totally differently. Henry came across to me as calm and collected. Why go on the defensive when someone is misrepresenting things?

It not so much going on the defensive...he just needed to forcefully rebut Istook's misrepresentations.

I don't know, it just seems that by not doing so, I came away with the impressiono that Istook has a better grasp of some of thte issues that were discussed, while Henry stammered about.

But I don't think it did Henry much harm anyway. Like the gnome dude said below, he has to avoid screwing up in order to lose the race, and he's done that so far.

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 11:18 AM
Istook and Hiett scare me for some reason.

Join the club :D

picasso
10/26/2006, 11:37 AM
Did Henry and his treasurer again take credit for the state saving oil boom?;)

OUstudent4life
10/26/2006, 12:20 PM
Poll-wned (http://www.pollster.com/polls/?state=OK&race=governor_race)

John Kochtoston
10/26/2006, 12:23 PM
The only way Henry loses this thing is if he's caught in bed with a dead woman or a live man.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/26/2006, 12:27 PM
Hmmm
http://www.surveyusa.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT1026_0124553222D.png

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/26/2006, 02:37 PM
Interesting that the texass thread has more posts in it.

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 04:21 PM
Poll-wned (http://www.pollster.com/polls/?state=OK&race=governor_race)

That makes me happy in my pants :D

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 04:22 PM
Hmmm
http://www.surveyusa.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT1026_0124553222D.png

This makes me even happier in my pants.

I hope she does win, but I'm somewhat skeptical of a 10 point lead. Hope it's true, though.

NormanPride
10/26/2006, 04:24 PM
The fact that Million has 2% makes me sad.

Jimminy Crimson
10/26/2006, 04:38 PM
There is no way Henry can compete with Istook in a debate, which is why there have only been a couple of them. Henry has ducked out of some planned debates.

That being said, Henry rolls on to victory. :O

I was at last nights Lt. Gov. debate and Hiett clearly is the man for the job.

I don't agree with the SurveyUSA numbers on the Lt. Gov. race. I know each camp has their own numbers, but I've seen the numbers from Hiett's camp and I'm comfortable enough with those to give the nod to Todd.

Mjcpr
10/26/2006, 04:44 PM
I don't agree with the SurveyUSA numbers on the Lt. Gov. race. I know each camp has their own numbers, but I've seen the numbers from Hiett's camp and I'm comfortable enough with those to give the nod to Todd.

Oh yeah? Well I'm comfortable enough to give the query to Jari!

:O

jthomasou78
10/26/2006, 04:49 PM
I worked for Hiett before he was the Speaker of the House. He's a good guy. He's a pretty genuine person, which is more then i can say about alot of politicians

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/26/2006, 04:51 PM
Well I say Fry It, Hiett.

Jari's Askins for trouble.

Oh lawd. I kill myself.

Mjcpr
10/26/2006, 04:52 PM
Well I say Fry It, Hiett.

Jari's Askins for trouble.

Oh lawd. I kill myself.

Wait'll crawfish finds these.

Rhino
10/26/2006, 04:56 PM
I'm sure teachers around the state are cringing at the thought of Hiett being elected.

Jimminy Crimson
10/26/2006, 04:57 PM
Jari eats fish sammiches.

:eek: ;)

picasso
10/26/2006, 05:53 PM
I'm sure teachers around the state are cringing at the thought of Hiett being elected.
why?

are you talking about teacher pay/income?

usmc-sooner
10/26/2006, 06:47 PM

maybe we should just let teachers vote :D

Rhino
10/26/2006, 06:48 PM
why?

are you talking about teacher pay/income? Yeah, the Oklahoma teacher raise he shot down (Oklahoma is 46th in the nation in teacher pay and is almost $4000/yr behind others regionally) in order to lobby for a ill-conceived tax cut (Oklahoma has some of the lowest taxes in the nation).

And people wonder why we can't keep teachers in our state.

jthomasou78
10/26/2006, 09:10 PM
Im sure it has nothing to do with the fact we will pay teachers a whole lot less then others in order to have 20,000 seat high school football stadiums. (Cough Cough Tulsa Union cough Cough)

hurricane'bone
10/26/2006, 09:31 PM
Im sure it has nothing to do with the fact we will pay teachers a whole lot less then others in order to have 20,000 seat high school football stadiums. (Cough Cough Tulsa Union cough Cough)

Do you have any facts to back this up?

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 09:33 PM

There are a lot of people cringing at the thought of Todd Hiett winning.

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 09:35 PM
Do you have any facts to back this up?

Isn't their new coach from Indiana or Illinois? You think a coach would move to Oklahoma for less pay than he was getting up there?

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 09:36 PM

I'll take Survey USA's numbers over Hiett's. They've been pretty dead on the last couple of years with races in Oklahoma.

picasso
10/26/2006, 10:09 PM
Yeah, the Oklahoma teacher raise he shot down (Oklahoma is 46th in the nation in teacher pay and is almost $4000/yr behind others regionally) in order to lobby for a ill-conceived tax cut (Oklahoma has some of the lowest taxes in the nation).

And people wonder why we can't keep teachers in our state.
but you do know that the pay is also adjusted to cost of living. those teaching in Texas get paid more but they end up earning about the same.

it is sad but if you're out to make ze money, teaching ain't the route to take.

usmc-sooner
10/26/2006, 10:47 PM
but you do know that the pay is also adjusted to cost of living. those teaching in Texas get paid more but they end up earning about the same.

it is sad but if you're out to make ze money, teaching ain't the route to take.

exactly, and you know by about the 5th grade that teachers don't make a lot of money. So it's not a surprise and not something that you should base an election or a vote on. I wish teachers did make more money.

That being said Oklahoma has way too many school districts.

Rhino
10/26/2006, 11:03 PM

it is sad but if you're out to make ze money, teaching ain't the route to take. Oh, I understand all that. But, Oklahoma is behind Arkansas and Mississippi in teacher pay. That's terrible.

I guess it just depends on priorities. Personally, I'd rather give all our teachers a $3000 per person raise than give $20-$40 back to every person in the state in unnecessary tax cuts.

Whatever the case, the office of Lt. Gov is about as worthless a political position that you can get elected to. I don't see how anyone would be too concerned one way or the other with who wins the race for that office.

picasso
10/26/2006, 11:28 PM
I agree. I tried it once and it increased my respect for those who choose that profession even moreso.:eek:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/27/2006, 07:03 AM
Whatever the case, the office of Lt. Gov is about as worthless a political position that you can get elected to. I don't see how anyone would be too concerned one way or the other with who wins the race for that office.Usually that is the case. However, as chair of the Senate the Lt. Gov can also break ties. In a closely divided Senate that's a huge deal.