PDA

View Full Version : Out of Hibernation

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2006, 04:21 AM
I avoid posting Baylor articles around here, but this one made the front page of ESPN so it made me all happy in my pants and thought I'd share.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2638427

Guy Morriss has fought through some daunting challenges earlier in his coaching career.
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/1025/ncf_w_moriss_195.jpg

His first stint as a head coach ended when the Professional Spring Football League's Washington Marauders folded 10 days before playing their first game. And coaching at Kentucky gave him a primer in keeping a program afloat despite probation, loss of scholarships and a bowl ban stemming from the previous coaching regime.

Guy Morriss has the Bears on the brink of ending the team's bowl drought.

But it was nothing like what he found at Baylor -- arguably the toughest coaching job in the country when he arrived after the 2002 season.

The Bears' program was in shambles, smack in the middle of the Big 12's dominant run of five teams playing for the national championship in a six-season period. When Morriss arrived, the Bears had won 17 games in the previous seven seasons, including only four conference games.

That made him understand that a practical approach was necessary to help pull the program out of a deep morass of losing.

"This program didn't get in a ditch overnight and it's not going to get out of the ditch overnight," Morriss said. "We're about where we thought we would be. We've improved the talent level and all those things that go into building a championship program."

The Bears (4-4 overall, 3-1 Big 12) finally appear to be seeing the fruits of those labors heading into Saturday's pivotal game against No. 22 Texas A&M (7-1, 3-1). It's the biggest game for the Baylor program since Grant Teaff was roaming the sidelines in the early 1990s.

Off to its best Big 12 conference start in school history, Morriss' team has gained new respect in a league that once thought of Baylor merely as a pushover victory.

The Bears' 3-1 record in Big 12 games is already more conference games than the school has won in any season since the circuit started in 1996.

A suddenly prolific spread offensive attack and an opportunistic defense has enabled them to sweep three North Division foes in the first half of the season. Only a loss to Texas mars the Bears' conference record.

It's also rekindled the Bears' bowl hopes -- thought to be dead after a disappointing 1-3 non-conference start -- for their first postseason appearance since making an Alamo Bowl trip in 1994.

That drought is tied for the third-longest among schools in BCS-affiliated conferences, ranking only behind Vanderbilt (1982) and Indiana (1993). Duke (1994) last played in a bowl game the same season as the Bears.

"To play in a conference game in this particular stage, the ninth game of the year, is significant," Morriss said. "It's probably the biggest game that we've played here."

Baylor's dramatic 36-35 victory over Kansas put them in position for the A&M game. The Bears made a wild comeback, rallying from an 18-point deficit in the final 9:22 of the game.

"People are excited," Morriss said. "It's buzzing. The kids are hearing all this junk over on campus about how good they are."

The Bears are certainly playing like it, scoring 30 points in three consecutive conference games for the first time in school history. And their fans are coming along, slowly and surely.

"You can tell by the fans and people in classes that people are really excited," Baylor quarterback Shawn Bell said. "We've done some things around here that haven't been done before. But we're not by any means a finished product. We still have a lot of growth we can still do."

The Bears rebounded from a 32-minute scoring drought to claim the wild victory over Kansas. In the process, Bell turned jeers to cheers after earlier struggling through six consecutive scoreless possessions.

The Baylor defense rebounded to pitch a second-half shutout after allowing Kansas to score 35 points and record 237 first-half yards. After intermission, the Jayhawks were shut out and produced only 36 yards.

Morriss credited the work of veteran defensive coordinator Bill Bradley with turning around the defense's attitude at the half.

"He told them we weren't going to make any adjustments -- that we just needed to play better," Morriss said. "We knew we had to get their energy and enthusiasm up. We talked to them and then the seniors took over. I don't know what they said, but it seemed to work."

The second half showed the benefits of the new spread system. Morriss decided before the season he needed to tweak his offense after seeing it bog down too many times in the red zone last season.

The new system was brought in to produce quick-strike capabilities. The Bears produced touchdown drives of 80, 84 and 58 yards in the second half on only 18 combined plays in the fourth quarter against the Jayhawks.
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/1025/ncf_w_bell_195.jpg
QB Shawn Bell led the Bears to three straight conference games of 30-plus points, a school record.

Bell, the son of a high school coach, has flourished in the new system. The senior has passed for at least 200 yards and thrown a touchdown pass in eight straight games. His .019 career interception percentage is the lowest of any Division I-A quarterback with at least 500 attempts.

"He's gotten more comfortable as the season went on and knows the potential of it," Morriss said. "He's growing in the system and has had confidence in it and his receivers. You can see he's getting better every game."

Saturday's game will provide an interesting spin on the tradition-rich "Battle of the Brazos."

Baylor and A&M have turned into bitter rivals over the past few years -- particularly in the last three seasons with Morriss and A&M coach Dennis Franchione involved. In the process, the once one-sided rivalry has turned into one of the most entertaining in the conference.

It wasn't always that way. A&M notched a 17-0-1 record in the series from 1986-2003, punctuated by a 73-10 victory in College Station in 2003.

"Everything that could go wrong did in that game," said Bell, who as a redshirt freshman played in the fourth quarter of that blowout loss. "We also felt like they did some things that we didn't like. We took it to heart and took it personally."

Revenge was exacted in 2004 when the Bears eked out a 35-34 overtime victory in Waco, winning the game on a gutty two-point conversion in overtime. A&M came into the game ranked 16th in The Associated Press poll. It hasn't been ranked that high since then.

"Before that second year, there was some talk about that previous game among us," Morriss said. "We didn't play well on that day, but we felt they were intent on running it up. And you don't forget things like that."

Their response the following season was a turning point in the program's turnaround, according to Bell.

"It was a big statement we could compete with anybody," Bell said. "From that point we knew we could play with anybody in the Big 12. That swagger has developed from there."

A&M rebounded for a 16-13 overtime victory last season in College Station in a game that Baylor dominated but struggled in the red zone.

After the game, Morriss claimed that Franchione ducked him in a post-game handshake and instructed his assistant coaches to avoid talking to the Baylor assistants. Franchione denied those charges.

That bad blood only intensifies the ramifications of Saturday's game.

Both teams have some proving to do. Baylor has claimed three victories against Big 12 North bottom feeders. But in order to make a bowl trip, Baylor needs two wins against four remaining opponents with a combined 21-10 record -- Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.

A&M is coming off a 34-33 overtime victory at Oklahoma State. It was the 7-1 Aggies' fourth game settled this season on the final play from scrimmage.

"If we find a way to win, we would take another step toward out goal of trying to get into a bowl," Morriss said. "It would be very significant for our football program right now. And our kids just seem to get up for A&M."

Tim Griffin covers the Big 12 for the San Antonio Express-News.

okienole3
10/26/2006, 09:09 AM
Maybe they will actually make some money for the conference this year.:rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
10/26/2006, 09:42 AM
That's the perfect coach for Baylor.

In the Pride, everytime we went to Baylor we were always treated better than anywhere else. In 2000, they were encourgaing us to throw oranges down on the field so the little bear could munch on them. Then afterwards, their band came by to wish us well on our championship run.

I am really excited to see them become a decent football school, because there is no reason why it couldn't be one.

Are they still talking about building a new stadium on campus??

TexasLidig8r
10/26/2006, 10:03 AM
Baylor and A&M have turned into bitter rivals over the past few years -- particularly in the last three seasons with Morriss and A&M coach Dennis Franchione involved. In the process, the once one-sided rivalry has turned into one of the most entertaining in the conference.

Revenge was exacted in 2004 when the Bears eked out a 35-34 overtime victory in Waco, winning the game on a gutty two-point conversion in overtime. A&M came into the game ranked 16th in The Associated Press poll. It hasn't been ranked that high since then.

A&M rebounded for a 16-13 overtime victory last season in College Station in a game that Baylor dominated but struggled in the red zone.

After the game, Morriss claimed that Franchione ducked him in a post-game handshake and instructed his assistant coaches to avoid talking to the Baylor assistants. Franchione denied those charges.

heh.... those little tidbits just have to rankle poor ole aggy.

"bitter rivals...".. Greatness. :D

Crimson and Orange
10/26/2006, 10:09 AM
I don't suppose aggy will rewrite their fight song so that it's all about the dreaded Bears, will they?

:texan:

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/26/2006, 10:20 AM
Are they still talking about building a new stadium on campus??

Why?? They have one of the nicest stadiums in the conference IMHO. Also, anyone else notice that Texas A&M is becoming the new Baylor (although they are 7-1 this year.) They are a very lucky team this year...just ask Army.

CincySooner
10/26/2006, 11:39 AM
Why?? They have one of the nicest stadiums in the conference IMHO. Also, anyone else notice that Texas A&M is becoming the new Baylor (although they are 7-1 this year.) They are a very lucky team this year...just ask Army.

if Im not mistaken, baylor's stadium is off campus. The only time I've been there, I didn't exactly get the game-day vibe from the fans. Maybe putting one on campus would change that.

SicEm... that's a pretty cool article. You'd think ESPN could have picked a more flattering picture than that though.

badger
10/26/2006, 01:14 PM
I don't suppose aggy will rewrite their fight song so that it's all about the dreaded Bears, will they?

:texan:
Here we go--- sing along if you the words

Shevadabooodeeqhoopdecram... Hullabawahhhhdewahdewah

Goodbye to Baylor University
So long to the green and gold
Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They need all the luck they can hold
'marching down that ol' baylor line'
That is the song they sing so well
Sounds Like Hell
So good bye to Baylor University
We're gonna beat you all God willing
Chigaroogarem
Chigaroogarem
Duff, Fluff, huff and puff, Texas A&M

Saw bouncey bear's tail off
Short! A!
Bouncey bear's tail is sawed off
Short! A!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/26/2006, 01:19 PM
if Im not mistaken, baylor's stadium is off campus. The only time I've been there, I didn't exactly get the game-day vibe from the fans. Maybe putting one on campus would change that.

SicEm... that's a pretty cool article. You'd think ESPN could have picked a more flattering picture than that though.

That is true, just a shame to waste such a nice stadium though.

OklahomaTuba
10/26/2006, 02:16 PM
They want it on campus, and I remember seeing a conceptual drawing of it, and it looked like a really nice stadium.

I thought they were slowly raising money for it, but very quietly.

Crimson and Orange
10/26/2006, 03:14 PM

Sounds Like Hell
Chigaroogarem
Chigaroogarem

Short! A!
Short! A!

Wow. I stand in awe at the work of Badger.
(If I had any spek to give.....)

GottaHavePride
10/26/2006, 05:50 PM
Heh (http://media.putfile.com/Gig-Em)

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2006, 08:51 PM
The stadium is off campus.

There was a movement to build a new on-campus stadium, but now we've poured a ton of money into totally renovating the stadium with the press box a few years ago, new seating, and the Grant Teaff plaza that it probably means we'll be there at least another 20 years.

Right now we're working on the money to build a new on-campus indoor practice facility.

As for our stadium, I really The Case except for the fact that it isn't on campus. I think the solution here isn't to build a new stadium but to expand Baylor's campus TO the stadium.

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2006, 08:53 PM
One more article...
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6107140?FSO3&ATT=LT

WACO, Texas (AP) - Daniel Sepulveda still isn't sure why he started kicking with the Baylor punter one day as a freshman.

Sepulveda hadn't punted since junior high and didn't even know the proper technique. He was just kicking the ball around for fun. Plus, he had walked on at Baylor to be a linebacker like his older brother.

"If I would have understood then that if I were to actually win the punting job (and) that would be the only thing I would do, I probably wouldn't have done it," Sepulveda said. "That's not me. I'm a football player."

With the body (6-foot-3, 230 pounds) and mentality of a linebacker, Sepulveda instead became one of the best college players ever at a different position.

The senior is the NCAA's best punter with a 46.2-yard average and didn't miss a game after tearing a knee ligament during a pickup basketball game in April.

Sepulveda is a finalist to be the first two-time winner of the Ray Guy Award that goes to the best college punter, has the best career average (45.1) in the NCAA for anyone with at least 250 punts and is a top-rated NFL prospect. His 85 career punts of at least 50 yards are four short of another NCAA record.

"He's an amazing asset for us. He does so many things for us offensively when we struggle. He can flip the field," quarterback Shawn Bell said. "He does so much more than people give him credit. He keeps bailing us out of jams."

When Sepulveda had surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee April 27, the recovery time was supposed to be five to six months - which means he should just now be getting ready to punt in a game. While he doesn't punt with his right leg, he does have to land on it.

"I doubted he could be ready by TCU," coach Guy Morriss said. "He proved me wrong."

Sepulveda had a 56-yard punt in that season opener, and has punts of at least that long in six games for the Bears (4-4, 3-1), who play No. 22 Texas A&M on Saturday night in a game matching teams tied for second place in the Big 12 South. A 78-yard kick against Kansas State matched his career best.

"He's a kid that all the kids look up to with respect," Morriss said. "They watched him go through that rehab process every day. ... A lot of kids took notice of how hard he pushed himself. I believe Daniel could be as good a linebacker as he is a punter."

Even though Sepulveda was kicking on the side that redshirt year, he was still a linebacker the spring of 2003 after Morriss became Baylor's coach. That's when Sepulveda volunteered to punt, then began working with Dallas-area kicking guru Rocky Willingham.

But Sepulveda thought he still would play linebacker and have the chance as a freshman to play alongside his brother, Stephen, who was going into his senior season.

"At the first of two-a-days, they pulled me out of linebacker drills, claiming that they didn't want me to get hurt," Daniel Sepulveda said. "It was the first time that I kind of realized, 'I guess I'm not a linebacker anymore."'

Sepulveda always had a strong leg, but had never really been taught how to punt until he started working with Willingham.

"Like so many punters that are pretty much self-taught, he'd be very inconsistent," Willingham said. "I got him going with drills. They are not like most drills and are not comfortable. But he stayed with it, was very disciplined."

As a freshman, Sepulveda averaged 43.1 yards on 87 punts but was still "kind of on the fence whether or not" he wanted to continue punting. Even though he averaged more than six kicks a game, it was hard for him having only limited opportunities on the field.

But he kept kicking and won the Ray Guy award as a sophomore when he averaged 45.97 yards. His average increased again last season, and Sepulveda looked forward to another year of seasoning before a likely NFL career.

Then he hurt his knee playing basketball over Easter weekend.

"A lot of thoughts were rushing through my head: It's my last year, I want to play in the NFL, who knows if this is going to hurt me," Sepulveda said. "I just wanted to make it go away."

While Sepulveda didn't want to miss a college game, he also knew rushing back might prevent his knee from healing properly and possibly threaten his NFL future.

After plenty of prayerful consideration and consultation with his parents, Sepulveda decided to have the surgery and push himself to be ready for Baylor's season. Then he went through a rehabilitation program during that summer that mostly involved riding an exercise bicycle daily, "just riding that sucker as hard as I could," he said.

Now, he has no regrets. Not about remaining a punter, or pushing himself to play every game as a Baylor senior.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Sepulveda said. "Which is a testament to the fact that God had his hand on me and he has a plan for me, and he's guiding me along this path.

"This is certainly not what I would have chosen, simply because I had no desire to do this. It just kind of happened."

SoonerStormchaser
10/26/2006, 09:36 PM
"Saw bouncy bear's tail off"

Oh man...my sides hurt now...SPEK!

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2006, 09:49 PM
"Saw bouncy bear's tail off"

Oh man...my sides hurt now...SPEK!

That was pretty damned good.

Inflatable Bear is to us as the horse pigs are to you.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/bay/graphics/bay-inflatable-mascot82.jpg

goingoneight
10/26/2006, 10:30 PM

Sounds Like Hell
Chigaroogarem
Chigaroogarem

Short! A!
Short! A!

I know the words now, I just need the sheet music...

SoonerDood
10/26/2006, 10:35 PM

Sounds Like Hell
Chigaroogarem
Chigaroogarem

Short! A!
Short! A!

Looks like NP's handywork. Spek nonetheless.:)

badger
10/26/2006, 11:29 PM
Looks like NP's handywork. Spek nonetheless.:)
Oh whatever, NP didn't think of any of it... he undoubtedly read it from his office cubicle, however :D

...something I don't ever do at work of course :)

(and I had that terrible singing of the A&M hymn from that youtube file in mind when I thought of the alternate words)

and I called him "bouncey bear" because whenever I saw him at basketball games (big 12 women's tourney) he would jump on his head, like that nebbish mascot.

yermom
10/27/2006, 01:16 AM
that is greatness :D

and i'll bet Sepulveda loves to hear "only the punter to beat" :)

SicEmBaylor
10/27/2006, 01:59 AM
Alright, I gotta add one here about Bell. I've been a Bell homer since the first time he was signed and knew he was our QB even during the turbulent time with Pease and benching him for Parks. Always had faith in the guy, and I have faith he'll get us to a bowl. He deserves it.

Friday, October 27, 2006

By Jerry Hill

Tribune-Herald assistant sports editor

After the kind of roller-coaster ride that would make even the strongest of stomachs queasy, Shawn Bell has had maybe the best 10 months of his life.

“It seems like things would happen, and I would think, ‘Am I really doing what I’m supposed to be doing?’ ’’ said Bell, the 6-foot-1, 211-pound senior quarterback from China Spring who’s rewriting the Baylor recordbook. “But then something good would happen. It’s been a roller coaster. It’s been up. It’s been down. But these are experiences that will carry me through the rest of my life, and I’ve learned a lot.”

Life lesson No. 1 is that life isn’t always fair, even to a fair-haired local kid who grew up a short drive from the stadium where he’s already broken a ton of records.

“There were times when I was down, and the fans have booed me,” said Bell, who’s thrown for 5,406 yards and 37 touchdowns and compiled a 10-12 record with six Big 12 wins.

“They’ve said I should be benched. I was too short. I wasn’t fast enough. I was a 3A quarterback and didn’t have the arm strength. But as long as those guys in the green and gold helmets and the coaches believe in me, that’s all I need.”

Even that support has been hard to come by.

Never the favorite of former offensive coordinator Brent Pease, Bell constantly had to fight off challenges from a string of quarterbacks that included Dane King, Kris Heavner, Terrance Parks and Blake Szymanski.

Pease picked King to start the ’04 season because of a “gut feeling,” and then benched Bell for two games last year in favor of an erratic Parks.

“I didn’t necessarily agree with the decision,” Bell said. “But as the captain and as a junior leader at the time, I felt like I should support it. I wasn’t happy, by any means. But you’ve got to trust the plan and keep on fighting.”

More than anything, Bell has drawn on his Christian faith.

“I feel like God has placed me here for a reason,” he said. “That’s what my mom has always told me. And I think it’s been shown to me throughout my career. There’s been times when I’ve questioned what was going on. But I had to keep believing and keep trusting in what was happening. And so far, it’s paid off for me.”

A two-time all-state pick who threw for a Central Texas-record 8,437 yards, Bell committed to Baylor in the spring of his junior year and then signed the next February despite strong ties to Texas A&M.

“Going through the recruiting process, I never really talked to them,” he said. “They came by the school, but I knew they had Reggie McNeal, and I thought they were kind of toying with me. So I kind of took it personally. And since I’ve been here, that’s the game that I look forward to the most.”

A promising start

After redshirting in 2002, Bell spent most of the next season riding the pine. But given the chance to start, he was 37-of-63 for 327 yards and a touchdown in losses to nationally ranked Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

At the end of the season, head coach Guy Morriss said it was Bell’s “job to lose.”

But King transferred in January and was named the starter just days before the opener at Alabama-Birmingham.

“I know it was real hard for him in the beginning,” said senior running back Paul Mosley. “We were both disappointed, and we wanted to be in there, but the opportunity wasn’t presenting itself. I think he showed a lot of character by just being patient.”

King had three interceptions and two fumbles in the 56-14 loss at UAB. But Bell’s chance didn’t come until King was sidelined by an injury to his right (non-throwing) hand eight weeks into the season.

The signature moment of Bell’s career came days later, when he threw for 262 yards and four touchdowns and then hit Dominique Zeigler for a two-point conversion in a 35-34 overtime upset of the Aggies.

“I was struggling as a football player, and I was at a point in my career where I was questioning things,” Bell said. “That was a tremendous turning point in my career and, I think, for this program. It was weird how it all worked out, because I came here wanting to beat A&M. I think it will be something that I remember for the rest of my life.”

Three weeks later, though, Bell followed King to the sidelines with a broken left hand.

Worst trough of all

The roller-coaster ride hit an all-time low last fall, when Bell was twice benched late in games and eventually replaced by Parks as the starter.

“When things go wrong, people are always looking to make a change,” said senior receiver Trent Shelton, who’s become Bell’s favorite target this season. “And the first place they’re going to look is the quarterback. It wasn’t Shawn’s fault. He just wasn’t getting the protection back then. Now that he’s getting the protection, you’re seeing what he can do.”

Other than the 2004 A&M game, the defining moment of Bell’s career came when offensive coordinator Lee Hays and quarterbacks coach Wes Phillips replaced Pease.

“It’s definitely a blessing,” Bell said. “Not only with being in a pass-happy offense, but the relationships I’ve built with Coach Hays, Coach Phillips and (graduate assistant David Nichol). They’ve shown me such faith and support, and that means more to me than anything.”

Mark Bell, his dad and high school coach, has seen the smile come back.

“The greatest thing about this whole deal has been the last six months,” Mark Bell said. “Shawn told me, ‘This is what I thought college football was going to be like.’ ’’

Mark Bell has heard the boos and felt the pain of every stinging criticism, but he’s also celebrated every touchdown pass, every win and his son’s graduation in May.

“I don’t really care how great a football player he is, I know he’s a great kid,” the elder Bell said. “If you want to stand up and boo a good kid that’s trying to do his best . . . whatever. But he’s a good kid that would do absolutely anything for Baylor.”

[email protected]

757-5715

soonerboomer93
10/27/2006, 02:19 AM

Sounds Like Hell
Chigaroogarem
Chigaroogarem

Short! A!
Short! A!

Brilliant

Texas Golfer
10/27/2006, 02:32 AM
Floyd Casey Stadium looks so much better after the renovations. I'm looking forward to getting up to Waco on Saturday for the Baylor/A&M game.

Although the Aggies try to shrug it off as merely another Big XII game, it's a rivalry for them, too. "Battle of the Brazos"

Jason White's Third Knee
10/27/2006, 09:00 AM
I like Baylor's stadium. I hope they don't change it.

Here's to the Bear's whipping some aggie *** on Saturday! Woot!

TexasLidig8r
10/27/2006, 09:02 AM
Sic.. unfortunately, I think

http://www.pete-online.us/Images/SheepGarterBelt.jpg

billystomps...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:e7YvGqqjf5aCmM:http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/contests/capitalone/2005/mascots/bruiser_large.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/contests/capitalone/2005/mascots/bruiser_large.jpg&imgrefurl=https://r.espn.go.com/espn/contests/capitalone/bio%3Fid%3D2123466&h=196&w=144&sz=17&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=e7YvGqqjf5aCmM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=76&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBaylor%2Bbear%2B%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

But... I'm with ya there pal... If so, it will certainly be good for some comedic relief.

Don't let 'em saw bouncy bear's tail off.... bwahahahahahahahahaha...

SicEmBaylor
10/27/2006, 12:07 PM
Sic.. unfortunately, I think

http://www.pete-online.us/Images/SheepGarterBelt.jpg

billystomps...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:e7YvGqqjf5aCmM:http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/contests/capitalone/2005/mascots/bruiser_large.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/contests/capitalone/2005/mascots/bruiser_large.jpg&imgrefurl=https://r.espn.go.com/espn/contests/capitalone/bio%3Fid%3D2123466&h=196&w=144&sz=17&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=e7YvGqqjf5aCmM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=76&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBaylor%2Bbear%2B%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

But... I'm with ya there pal... If so, it will certainly be good for some comedic relief.

Don't let 'em saw bouncy bear's tail off.... bwahahahahahahahahaha...

Nice. The livestock of Aggiedom are preparing themselves to be comfort toys in much the same way French "camp followers" did just after Waterloo.

badger
10/27/2006, 01:49 PM
okay, sic. what you need to do is get some of your baylor bear friends together and figure out a way to get Reville XLVIII (or whatever number they're on right now). I realize that the (hehe) five star general might have her own guard, so here's what ya do:

1- Create a diversion... how about an Aggie confessional booth? You can tell them that is the Baylor Baptist tradition that all students confess their sins before games, so that God does not punish them come Saturday in the form of their team losing.

2- Record said confessionals for amusement purposes.

3- When corpies are off confessing (those poor sheep had a rough week), coax the doggie general over with some quality meat. Suggestion: Horse meat from our stupid pony mascots.

4- If pony meat doesn't work, just let them use bouncey bear as a chew toy.

5- After Aggies leave the confessional and realize their general is AWOL run like hell. I'm sure the aggies can't run very fast in those crappy boots, anyways.

6- Give dog new baylor attire. Take millions of pictures and post on soonerfans.com.

7- Return the dog... and then run like hell again.

SicEmBaylor
10/27/2006, 02:39 PM
okay, sic. what you need to do is get some of your baylor bear friends together and figure out a way to get Reville XLVIII (or whatever number they're on right now). I realize that the (hehe) five star general might have her own guard, so here's what ya do:

1- Create a diversion... how about an Aggie confessional booth? You can tell them that is the Baylor Baptist tradition that all students confess their sins before games, so that God does not punish them come Saturday in the form of their team losing.

2- Record said confessionals for amusement purposes.

3- When corpies are off confessing (those poor sheep had a rough week), coax the doggie general over with some quality meat. Suggestion: Horse meat from our stupid pony mascots.

4- If pony meat doesn't work, just let them use bouncey bear as a chew toy.

5- After Aggies leave the confessional and realize their general is AWOL run like hell. I'm sure the aggies can't run very fast in those crappy boots, anyways.

6- Give dog new baylor attire. Take millions of pictures and post on soonerfans.com.

7- Return the dog... and then run like hell again.

Oh you're good!
NP is a lucky man!

NormanPride
10/28/2006, 10:57 AM
this is badger.

and we are both ****ed that the baylor/a&m game is not televised. with the carp they're showing today, why not this budding rivalry? hehe

i don't think np even read this thread. maybe he will now that i'm posting as him :D

MRNOTDUCKS
10/28/2006, 11:55 PM
Just got back from the game...

While I felt that A&M could move the ball at will against the Bears, Baylor came up with some key stops in the red zone that kept them in the game.

Baylor has a good team, and I didn't know how improved they were until I saw it in person. Bell was able to make the play when on the run more than once, and Ziegler torched us in the first half. Glad we don't have to face him ever again. Goodbye.

Michael Goodson's 4th quarter run was a thing of beauty. McGee had an incredible night as well, and he really ate them up with his feet.

While I might take it back later, I hope that the Bears can win 2 of their next three, because they would make a good match up with someone in a bowl. Also, Floyd Casey had a record attendance night. It looked like the Ags outnumbered the Bears, but you could see how people around there were really trying to answer the call.

While standing in line to get in the stadium, an Ag looked over the top of "the Case" and yelled "beat the hell outta Baylor!" Everybody answered, "Whoop!" A Baylor girl behind me said, "I wish I would have gone to a university that had tradition."

Looking forward to the OU game. Kyle Field is going to be absolutely nuts!

Tear Down This Wall
10/29/2006, 01:32 PM
Newsflash - Baylor still sucks and should be in the Sun Belt or Conference USA. Instead, they'll be at home during bowl season again sucking off the dollars that fall their way because Ann Richards was governor when the Big 8 took on some strays from the SWC. Pitiful.

birddog
10/29/2006, 01:37 PM
Newsflash - Baylor still sucks and should be in the Sun Belt or Conference USA. Instead, they'll be at home during bowl season again sucking off the dollars that fall their way because Ann Richards was governor when the Big 8 took on some strays from the SWC. Pitiful.

man, when you get on a roll, there's no denying you.

one of the most opinionated posters around. nice work.

MRNOTDUCKS
10/29/2006, 01:39 PM
Keep thinking that, but if Bell is healthy when they play the Sooners, you'll have a game on your hands.

Tear Down This Wall
10/29/2006, 01:40 PM
As long as everone else is entertained and thinking, that's the point. It's a thin line between love and hate on the message boards.

Tear Down This Wall
10/29/2006, 01:41 PM
Keep thinking that, but if Bell is healthy when they play the Sooners, you'll have a game on your hands.

Yeah, okay. I'll bring you back some ice cubes from hell, too.

MRNOTDUCKS
10/29/2006, 02:05 PM
2 OTs last year. I don't think it's far-fetched that they give you a good game. I'm not saying they will win, but I don't think it's going to be a blowout either.

But if Bell is out, I think they lose out.

Tear Down This Wall
10/29/2006, 02:13 PM
2 OTs last year. I don't think it's far-fetched that they give you a good game. I'm not saying they will win, but I don't think it's going to be a blowout either.

But if Bell is out, I think they lose out.

Whether we win by blowout or by one point, it's still a Baylor loss, same as in any year. So they play us closer when we're down. Big deal.

They're the only Big 12 team that never beat us when John Blake was our coach. I mean, really. Do we have to pretend that Baylor is good just for the sake of pretending and making them feel good?

To me, it's like playing UAB again. Yeah, they might give us a game of it, but in the end, they'll never have the athletes to nail us down. They were 0-3 versus John Blake, man! 0-3!

SicEmBaylor
10/29/2006, 04:34 PM
Bell has a torn ACL; he's out for the season.

snp
10/29/2006, 05:38 PM
Damn, too bad about Bell. How's the

While standing in line to get in the stadium, an Ag looked over the top of "the Case" and yelled "beat the hell outta Baylor!" Everybody answered, "Whoop!" A Baylor girl behind me said, "I wish I would have gone to a university that had tradition."

Making strange sounds in unison does not constitute tradition.

superag79
10/29/2006, 06:26 PM
I had lots of guys from baylor tell me that was the first game they'd ever stayed till the 4th quarter

birddog
10/29/2006, 06:30 PM
'cause in the past they were down 28 in the first quarter.