PDA

View Full Version : I'm Baaa-aack. "There's Nothing Like Your First Time."

Rogue
10/25/2006, 09:00 PM
So, I spent two weeks off. Part trip home to Idaho to see the folks, part elk-hunting trip. Got my first elk, not a monster by any means but about a 425 pound spike bull. Soaked in some of the numerous hot springs in the area, got snowed-on for the first time all year, caught up with some cousins (yes to the obligatory question that some of them are hawt and no I won't post their pics), all around great trip.

Here's the story: I've fished all my life and hunted some but only bagged a few birds. I sorta like venison but I've always thought that elk meat is gourmet primo-stuff. So Dad and I planned a trip. He bought me a new scope for my .270 and had it bore-sighted. I hadn't shot it with the new scope since the trip. Got to Idaho a few days before opening day so we could get a decent camp site. Rode 4-wheelers around a few days and saw some beautiful country. Now many guys hunt elk on horseback but since this was just a "Dad and me" trip, and he doesn't have horses we rode in and hiked around.

The great thing about hunting with Dad is the stories he tells about his days growing up. He spent summers working for sheepherders and cowboys in the backcountry and tells the best stories about bear encounters, crazy old miners and mountain-men, and lots of funny stuff about his brothers/my uncles. Dad's 66 now and not as spry as he used to be, can't hear himself fart, but has really mellowed over the years.

So opening day we finally go up to the mountain that we've been avoiding all weekend (so as not to spook the elk 'course). Tramp around all morning and come across a guy from Pennsylvania who'd just shot his first "wild elk". See, dood had hunted on a game preserve in the east before. So he's taking his 4-wheeler up into the hiking area to haul it out. 'Bout 30 minutes later we stroll down a ridge and the PA dood's head is covered in blood. He's rolled his nephew's machine about 100 yards from his elk. He's a little dazed but mostly alright. We spent the better part of an hour helping him get the machine running, unstuck, through the brush, and to his elk (had he been smarter or not such a city-slicker the path woulda been much easier). About that time, his boys show up and agree to help him and his elk back to camp.

Dad and I decide to stroll through some of the heavy timber back to a trail.
About 1000 yards downhill, in thick timber I spot a big young spike bull about 80 yards away. Sight him in and miss (high I assume) with the first shot. He bounds about 25 yards further and stands broadside and I dropped him cold with the second shot.

Turns out we are only about 40 yards from the main trail. Still it was lots of work cleaning and getting that animal out of there. I wondered how a bleedin' heart liberal like me would handle this part, even a good 2nd amendment supporting liberal. I've always had a huge respect for these critters where-as I think of deer like a big-fuggin'-goat. Well, let's just say I got through it and still prefer skinning to cleaning any day. We got in as close as we could with the 4-wheeler and a winch. After strapping him onto the machine, I rode the animal 12 miles down a washed out mining trail (previously referred to as the "main trail") fit for neither man nor beast and never had a more exhausting ride. Maybe I should change my username to "elk jockey".

One of the uncles just returned from his most recent summer in Alaska and we had some halibut and smoked salmon. Wow, if there's better seafood than that that comes out of the cold water up there, I've never had it. Even the oysters from the N. Pacific are better.

After paying exorbitant fees to Delta to bring back a cooler full of meat and heavier luggage than I went with, I'm back home in Tennessee. Mrs. Rogue has had the dining room fixed up with crown-molding and wainscoting. Very sharp.

Just before skinning.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/Hunting/100_0945.jpg

Elk Jockey
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/Hunting/100_0943.jpg

The hunting wagon
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/Hunting/100_0937.jpg

Dad riding (I love this picture).
Caribou Mtn in the background.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/Hunting/100_0940.jpg

GottaHavePride
10/25/2006, 09:07 PM
Cool! looks like you had fun.

olevetonahill
10/25/2006, 09:08 PM
Some of my fondest memories are about hunting with dad
treasure em

Mongo
10/25/2006, 09:10 PM
Congrats on the kill and the great times with the pops. Fixin to go huntin with my pops(he has never deer hunted) and looking forward to it.

Idaho is some of the most underrated land when it comes to beauty. Been there a couple of times and it is always breath taking.

SoonerProphet
10/25/2006, 09:16 PM
Man, that is pretty sweet.

Spent a couple summers between Haley and Ketchum at a place called East Fork, twas an old mining village. Trained with a fellow from Twin Falls last summer for ropes course, he was gonna go camping in the Sawtooths the week after and I was envious.

Rogue
10/25/2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks, yeah it would have been a successful trip just to go camping with Dad again this year. Sure he drinks and smokes too much and probably drives some of his neighbors crazy with his hillbilly ways but I love him and always have a good time with him. It gets more special as the years go on.

Idahoans have resisted toursim and re-locaters for years. In response to Californians moving in they have some funny shirts made with sayings like "Idaho sucks, you won't like it here". My complaint about Idaho is the same as my complaints about OK and TX, too much damn wind all year long!

Rogue
10/25/2006, 09:19 PM
Prophet, you must know about Redfish Lake, sourdough pancakes in Stanley, Sunbeam, Galena Pass, Challis, and Clayton then! Yonder Mountain String Band has a song called Idaho about that area. Twin Falls (aka Magic Valley) is booming now with CSI and the new highway to Salt Lake City.

Course people there still think that Pocatello is getting too big now that it's >50k!

Fugue
10/25/2006, 09:25 PM
[TDTW]You're not gonna mount that elk rack are ya?"[TDTW] :D

Congrats on the trip, mucho jealous.

olevetonahill
10/25/2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks, yeah it would have been a successful trip just to go camping with Dad again this year. Sure he drinks and smokes too much and probably drives some of his neighbors crazy with his hillbilly ways but I love him and always have a good time with him. It gets more special as the years go on.
Son is that you :confused:
Idaho is what america was :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

hurricane'bone
10/25/2006, 10:20 PM
pretty cool

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/26/2006, 08:56 AM
Awesome...

Makin' good memories is always awesome.

Mjcpr
10/26/2006, 08:57 AM
Dude, that cow you killed is totally skinny.

SoonerProphet
10/26/2006, 09:11 AM
Prophet, you must know about Redfish Lake, sourdough pancakes in Stanley, Sunbeam, Galena Pass, Challis, and Clayton then! Yonder Mountain String Band has a song called Idaho about that area. Twin Falls (aka Magic Valley) is booming now with CSI and the new highway to Salt Lake City.

Course people there still think that Pocatello is getting too big now that it's >50k!

My uncle lives up by Magic Lake. Been to a few Stanley Stomps. I've heard the main strip in Ketchum is super commercial these days.

BoogercountySooner
10/26/2006, 10:14 AM
Congrats on the Elk and good times with your DAD!

IB4OU2
10/26/2006, 10:26 AM
Looks like a trip of a lifetime with your best friend.........everytime you look at that Elk rack/or mount you'll remember that trip. That's what it's all about.....Congrats! and Thanks for sharing Rogue.

Rogue
10/26/2006, 07:11 PM
Dude, that cow you killed is totally skinny.
Ummm. That BULL has no innerds in that picture. :P Right before we hung him up again and skinned him. :eek: Also, I think I broke a few of 'is ribs on the ride downhill. Couldn't be helped. He was pleasantly portly before that. I spared y'all the pictures of the skinned elk. Just not good family entertainment.

Prophet, I haven't been to Ketchum in about 3 years, but it was gettin' plenty commercial even then. The new saying there and in Jackson, WY is that "the billionaires are driving all the millionaires away." :rolleyes:

And, much to Mrs. Rogue's satisfaction, this is not a mounting candidate, although I have a few ideers for them horns! :texan: