PDA

View Full Version : Furnace troubleshooting . . .

Sooner_Bob
10/25/2006, 05:12 PM
Our Armstrong Ultra SX 80 furnace blower won't stop running . . . I switched the heat on the other morning and the blower won't shut off at all. I finally had to unplug the unit to keep it off.

I'm fairly handy and feel comfortable troubleshooting and fixing stuff, but I'm a complete n00b when it comes to furnaces. Where in the world should I start troubleshooting this furnace??

I've got both a Honeywell thermostat and the unit has a Honeywell control board.

TIA!!!!

Mjcpr
10/25/2006, 05:17 PM
Blow out the pilot light and get a lighter so you can see what you're doing in there....

sanantoniosooner
10/25/2006, 05:18 PM
Thermostat is a good place to start.

The blower generally runs after the furnace stops to cool down things inside the unit. It should be on some type of timer. I guess it's possible that the timer has given up the ghost and doesn't ever shut things down. I have limited experience with furnaces, but Locke Supply carries that brand. They might have some good advice for you.

Sooner_Bob
10/25/2006, 05:22 PM
Yesterday I plugged it back in and it didn't kick back on so I left it alone. Then when I got home it had some how started up again.

No heat or anything since I had the thermo set to off, but the blower was still going.

Oh and thanks Pat . . . I'll give that a try. :P

phead903
10/25/2006, 05:40 PM
Did you check to see if the switch for the fan was on "auto" or the "on" position? If it's in the "on" position, the fan will run constantly. If it's in the "auto" position, it will run only while the burners are on, plus a little time to let the system cool down.

Is this a new furnace that may be a 2 or 3 stage furnace? If so, the blower will run more often, but the burners will not run at full force all the time. The intention of a multi-stage furnace is to avoid the spikes in heating your house. Single Stage furnaces will kick on, run full blast untile the temp reaches the set point, then kick off. When the temp in the house gets below the set point, then they will kick on again and run through the cycle.

A multi-stage furnace is designed to run more with the blower, but at a reduced rate for the burner, so you are using less fuel to heat your home.

Hope this helps.

Sooner_Bob
10/25/2006, 08:51 PM
The thermo fan switch stays on auto so that's not it.

We moved in here just over two years ago, and I don't know the exact age of the furnace, and haven't paid enough attention to how it operates to know if it's a multi or single stage unit.

I haven't had the time to really trouble-shoot it yet, but hopefully I'll be able to mess with it and maybe check with Locke Supply about possible solutions.

Thanks.

olevetonahill
10/25/2006, 08:59 PM
The thermo fan switch stays on auto so that's not it.

We moved in here just over two years ago, and I don't know the exact age of the furnace, and haven't paid enough attention to how it operates to know if it's a multi or single stage unit.

I haven't had the time to really trouble-shoot it yet, but hopefully I'll be able to mess with it and maybe check with Locke Supply about possible solutions.

Thanks.
Damn Bob your only sposed to ask the SO advice when all else fails :)

Sooner_Bob
10/26/2006, 08:46 PM
Heh . . . I think the thermostat controller went out on me. I tried to switch it over to cool and the fan switch to on and the A/C wouldn't even come on.

Sooner_Bob
11/17/2006, 05:03 PM
I replaced the thermostat and still nuthin' . . . oh well. I guess we'll freeze. :P

colleyvillesooner
11/17/2006, 05:07 PM
I'd just move.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2006, 05:08 PM
3 things usually on the Armstrong 80 plus..Flame Sensor, control board, or relay....I ve worked on 3 80 plus's in the last week..depending on how old that board is which should be a 4040301(or something close) it should be blinking some lights and if you have the book be able to get look up the code the light is blinking

Sooner_Bob
11/19/2006, 02:04 PM
3 things usually on the Armstrong 80 plus..Flame Sensor, control board, or relay....I ve worked on 3 80 plus's in the last week..depending on how old that board is which should be a 4040301(or something close) it should be blinking some lights and if you have the book be able to get look up the code the light is blinking

Thanks for the tips . . . I've got some pictures of the board that I can post later that might help or something.

I don't think we were left the book or manual for the furnace. :(

Sooner_Bob
11/19/2006, 02:20 PM
I'd just move.

The thought has crossed my mind . . .