PDA

View Full Version : dude, wheres my plutonium?

Ike
10/25/2006, 09:49 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/24/los.alamos.documents.ap/index.html

Nuke documents from los alamos found in scientists house during drug raid...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A drug raid on a Los Alamos scientist's home in New Mexico turned up what appeared to be classified documents taken from the nuclear weapons lab, the FBI said Tuesday.

Police discovered the documents at the scientist's home while making an arrest in a methamphetamine investigation, according to an FBI official in Washington who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the case.

The police alerted the FBI to the documents, prompting a federal search of the unidentified female scientist's home. The official would not describe the documents except to say that they appeared to contain classified material.

Asked about the raid, FBI special agent Bill Elwell in Albuquerque, New Mexico, confirmed that a search warrant was executed on Friday night, but he refused to discuss details.

"We do have an investigation with regard to the matter, but our standard is we do not discuss pending investigations," Elwell said.

A spokesman for the Los Alamos National Laboratory, in Los Alamos, New Mexico, declined to comment.

Okla-homey
10/25/2006, 09:52 AM
Just a thought. Having been in jobs before where we dealt with reams of classified on a daily basis, if the guy busted was in fact a tweaker, he may well have just sort of randomly, but unintentionally, brought classified papers home from work. It would be easy to do if you weren't paying attention at the end of the day.

Ike
10/25/2006, 09:56 AM
thats my thought too homey. Scientists at Los Alamos typically work with a lot of classified stuff. Also, this may not have been classified. I somehow don't think that cops are going to know which nuclear documents are and arent classified, and they are the only ones commenting.

Okla-homey
10/25/2006, 10:01 AM
thats my thought too homey. Scientists at Los Alamos typically work with a lot of classified stuff. Also, this may not have been classified. I somehow don't think that cops are going to know which nuclear documents are and arent classified, and they are the only ones commenting.

Especially if he worked in an otherwise secure area cleared for "open storage" which, as you probably know, doesn't require a strict accounting of every classified document everyday. I'm betting on the "nutty professor" angle here. At least that's what I'd argue if I were his lawyer.

There were times when the only reason i didn't mess up was because before going home, I took the time the make sure I hadn't absent-mindedly stuffed something in my briefcase that shouldn't leave the facility. If said scientist is in fact a meth-head, he was prolly in a big hurry to get home to his pipe.

Ike
10/25/2006, 10:14 AM
I actually don't know much about classified stuff because the work I do is totally not classified at all...I don't want to work on classified stuff primarily because I like to talk about my work. It excites me and I like sharing it. What I was thinking though is that in any collaborative science endeavor, classified or not, there are a lot of internal notes that are produced to describe results of some piece of research. I surmise that this junkie may have had one of those that had not been classified at all...unless it said classified all over it, I imagine that the cops may have seen the los alamos logo on it and then seen a lot of equations and crap and automatically thought it was a classified document. Of course, it could well have been classified too and the scientist was a dolt and took it home before shooting up.

Pricetag
10/25/2006, 02:39 PM
It was a chick.

Scott D
10/25/2006, 03:20 PM
Tuba stole it to sell to his Terrorist Sniper pals.