PDA

View Full Version : So, Manuel Johnson Got Arrested

Mjcpr
10/24/2006, 04:26 PM
http://hub.ou.edu/articles/article.php?item_id=111869894&section_id=664781553

:(

sooner518
10/24/2006, 04:29 PM
oy I can see the headlines on ESPN.com right now: "Stoops and Sooners Reeling After Yet Another Arrest!"

JohnnyMack
10/24/2006, 04:30 PM
Going to arrest someone on a FTA for two traffic violations is about teh most retardededed thing I've evar heard of. Is Kuykendall up for reelection again or something?

IronSooner
10/24/2006, 04:30 PM
Good grief. I'm not sure which bugs me more, forgetting to show up, or forgetting to put on the seatbelt. Why can't you be a great athlete and be smart at the same time?

Scott D
10/24/2006, 04:31 PM
You sure the sherriff isn't up for re-election? or the police chef...yeah I said chef...he clearly isn't a chief :D

n8v_ndn
10/24/2006, 04:33 PM
Land thieves back to their criminal ways!!! They've been that way since the Land Run!!! Death Penalty for them while Stoops follows Switzer's Exit Stage Left!!!

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2006, 04:38 PM
Lord, this is stupid. The kid didn't have the money to pay for two traffic tickets, so he didn't go to court. And, they haul him in.

This is the type of thing that damn near tempts me to become a Libertarian. Cities, counties, and their damn fees for non-violent "crimes." Give me a break.

boomrsoonr
10/24/2006, 04:39 PM
Going to arrest someone on a FTA for two traffic violations is about teh most retardededed thing I've evar heard of. Is Kuykendall up for reelection again or something?

So if you don't arrest them, how do you get them to appear in court and take care of the issue? It's not like he wasn't given the opportunity to do so.

Some of you people need to pull your heads out of the Miami U sand and realize that people need to be accountable for their actions. And if they won't be, then force the issue.

Yes, they are kids, but they need to learn responsibility. They're no younger than a majority of the troops in Iraq. Hell, I was guarding nuclear weapons when I was 18 years old.

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2006, 04:45 PM
You know what, I go 12 over the speed limit regularly. If you don't go that fast in Dallas, you'll cause a wreck.

Honestly, the money grubbing civic politicians simply need to give some people a break. This kid is a student, my guess is he doesn't come from a home where he can just call up mom and dad and say, "Hey, I got a ticket, can you put some money in my bank account to cover it."

They really need to have programs where people pay these piddly tickets out over a 12 month period if they don't have the means to pay it now.

I feel the same way about credit cards. My first job out of college was with a credit card company. I always found it odd that we slapped charges, fees, and higher interest on those who had gotten into situations where they couldn't pay.

So, now, Johnson will undoubtedly have more court fees to pay on top of the ones he already couldn't pay.

Stupid.

Sooner_Bob
10/24/2006, 04:48 PM
Once again, I agree with TDTW.

Mjcpr
10/24/2006, 04:48 PM
They really need to have programs where people pay these piddly tickets out over a 12 month period if they don't have the means to pay it now.

There are. You make your court appearance and ask the judge.....he'll give you time to pay it out. He'd also let you work it off in community service hours if you were a decent human and couldn't afford to pay the fine.

mrowl
10/24/2006, 04:53 PM
I think what happens next week needs to be in vbookie.

Okla-homey
10/24/2006, 05:03 PM
There are. You make your court appearance and ask the judge.....he'll give you time to pay it out. He'd also let you work it off in community service hours if you were a decent human and couldn't afford to pay the fine.

Yep, the worst thing you can do is blow it off. Generally, if you show up, you can work out a payment plan. The court would rather get the money in installments than lock you up.

birddog
10/24/2006, 05:03 PM
I think what happens next week needs to be in vbookie.

:les: FIFTEEN YARD PENALTY FOR PILING ON!!

how the hell is this even a story?:rolleyes:

BIG_IKE
10/24/2006, 05:10 PM
You know what, I go 12 over the speed limit regularly. If you don't go that fast in Dallas, you'll cause a wreck.

Honestly, the money grubbing civic politicians simply need to give some people a break. This kid is a student, my guess is he doesn't come from a home where he can just call up mom and dad and say, "Hey, I got a ticket, can you put some money in my bank account to cover it."

I feel the same way about credit cards. My first job out of college was with a credit card company. I always found it odd that we slapped charges, fees, and higher interest on those who had gotten into situations where they couldn't pay.

So, now, Johnson will undoubtedly have more court fees to pay on top of the ones he already couldn't pay.

Stupid.

We can sit here and say it is unreasonable, but the law needs to unquestionably be THE LAW. We cannot give individuals the power to decide which people get breaks and which ones don't. You should see what that could lead to. The law should be the law. If people are unhappy with the law then they should vote to change it.

You can't have individuals cutting people slack because they are students, or because they are poor etc. etc. and most courts will let you make arrangements. But when you choose not to show up, thats just plain stupid. Money or no money, it shows responsibility and respect for the law.

Knowing how to read speed limit signs and wearing your seatbealt or things Manuel learned in Driver's training. Turning his mistake around and attacking the law, no matter how silly it seems is plain wrong. He knew the law, did otherwise, and is facing the consequences. It sucks, but he brought it on himself.

Whats the first thing anyone outside of Oklahoma is gonna say when he does not have to follow the rules regular citizens follow?

OU FOOTBALL PLAYERS GET SPECIAL TREATMENT.

I'm not mad at all at the authorities. It should be a learning experience for him. In the real world no one considers anyones situation, or anything. It is what it is. He should get used to it. College is not the real world. And he can't expect the real world to consider his situation or background. Because it doesn't (and should'nt ) matter.

SoonerJason
10/24/2006, 05:29 PM
WOW..

Judge must be a Cowboy fan.

soonercop
10/24/2006, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately for those of you who are angered by his arrest and believe the Sheriff or Chief have some vested interest in this young man's arrest, you are ignorant and have your anger misdirected.

Here in Colorado, if I engage a traffic stop, there are things I must do: (1) run the license plate for wants and warrants, and (2) run the driver for wants and warrants. These two actions are mandated at the least by office policy (and is done so for officer safety issues, because I want to know if the person I just pulled over is either (1) driving a stolen vehicle or (2) is wanted for murder or some other serious crime.

If the person I "run" comes back as having either a Misdemeanor warrant or a Felony warrant, I MUST, by state law and Office policy, arrest that individual and make them post bond. It is not at my discretion, AT ALL. I would assume the same can be said for most departments in Oklahoma as well. It is a serious officer safety issue, and blindly arresting all individuals who are found to have a warrant completely eliminates the appearance of favoritism, racial discrimination, etc., that doing otherwise would do.

Octavian
10/24/2006, 05:32 PM
A sober linebacker breaking up a fight.

A sober receiver not wearing his seatbelt.

:les: Renegade Program!!

SoonerJason
10/24/2006, 05:36 PM
soonercop, if he was arrested at home.. do they have some sort task force to go out and get people with warrents?

EDIT: nevermind.. I read it all over again.. I guess they do.

Scott D
10/24/2006, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately for those of you who are angered by his arrest and believe the Sheriff or Chief have some vested interest in this young man's arrest, you are ignorant and have your anger misdirected.

Here in Colorado, if I engage a traffic stop, there are things I must do: (1) run the license plate for wants and warrants, and (2) run the driver for wants and warrants. These two actions are mandated at the least by office policy (and is done so for officer safety issues, because I want to know if the person I just pulled over is either (1) driving a stolen vehicle or (2) is wanted for murder or some other serious crime.

If the person I "run" comes back as having either a Misdemeanor warrant or a Felony warrant, I MUST, by state law and Office policy, arrest that individual and make them post bond. It is not at my discretion, AT ALL. I would assume the same can be said for most departments in Oklahoma as well. It is a serious officer safety issue, and blindly arresting all individuals who are found to have a warrant completely eliminates the appearance of favoritism, racial discrimination, etc., that doing otherwise would do.

yeah but you are in Colorado which is second to only Ohio for crookedness ;)

soonercop
10/24/2006, 05:49 PM
Scott, which is why I'm here...;)

Scott D
10/24/2006, 05:51 PM
and here I thought it was because you wanted to protect and preserve hippies ;)

JohnnyMack
10/24/2006, 05:57 PM

He wasn't picked up on a traffic stop, NPD went to his house and arrested him. I used to work in the Cleveland County DA's office and I can assure you we didn't spend much time making sure that kids with FTA's over traffic tickets got scooped up and brought before da judge.

sooner94
10/24/2006, 05:57 PM
I bet this makes the cover of Sports Illustrated- a picture of Johnson handcuffed before getting into the police car.

sooneron
10/24/2006, 05:59 PM
I'm not going to take sides, he blew it off and should pay for the consequences. I blew some stuff off when I was younger and paid off my transgressions. Mine were no worse than Manuel's. It's dumb, but people do it. It is a non-story, though. He is obviously a menace to everyone on the road AND himself. ;)

Stitch Face
10/24/2006, 06:05 PM

Flaming liberals! Never wantin' to hold anyone accountable!

;)

yermom
10/24/2006, 06:11 PM
A sober linebacker breaking up a fight.

A sober receiver not wearing his seatbelt.

:les: Renegade Program!!

heh, no doubt.

this is barely news, i mean it's on the Hub, but i can't imagine it being a big deal anywhere else really

but geez, man, it's not THAT hard to get to the other side of Norman to go talk to the judge or pay fines. the seatbelt thing is like $20

he's just being a dumb kid, who hasn't been there... but it's not like he should be let off or something.

i'm sure he won't be missing any game time because of it or anything, it's basically a non-issue for anyone other than MJ

and whoever he's going to be bumming rides from when he loses his license :P

SoonerGM
10/24/2006, 06:13 PM

Stupid.

wow... i am not trying to be a jerk here, just giving some advice. obviously you know nothing about the law where traffic violations are concerned, but have formed strong opinions about it anyway and are adamant about voicing those opinions. so my simple suggestion is, dont talk about it, because it makes you look ignorant.

as some have suggested, there are payment plans. and unless he just got a complete jerk of a judge, he could probably got off with nothing but community service, which would have turned a negative in to a positive for him.

the only things i find stupid about this incident are, 1) he did not show up for court and 2) this story was made public. because really... who cares.

StoopTroup
10/24/2006, 06:38 PM
Lord, this is stupid. The kid didn't have the money to pay for two traffic tickets, so he didn't go to court. And, they haul him in.

This is the type of thing that damn near tempts me to become a Libertarian. Cities, counties, and their damn fees for non-violent "crimes." Give me a break.
TDTW...

The reason you get arrested is, it appears that he had no respect for the Court / Judge. If he would have appeared and explained his situation they might have had a little more leniency for him.

Heck, if he would have gone to the DA and explained his inability to pay the fines, the DA might have worked out community service or something.

I'm not a lawyer but I have dealt with a few of these types of situations before. Sometimes you can work it out.

If you do nothing...they give you a wake up call and then teach you how things work.

handcrafted
10/24/2006, 10:03 PM
For the person who asked, Kuykendall got a mudhole stomped in him by his opponent in the primary. He's out in January. There was no Dem challenger.

And Judge Ted Roberts is no poke. He's a law professor at OU and the municipal court gig is just part time. I guarantee you he would have let Manuel pay it out or work it off if Manuel had taken the time to oh, say, OBEY A FARGING ORDER TO APPEAR IN COURT. I have no sympathy and neither will Judge Roberts. Manuel will get an earful the likes of which would make even Mike Stoops cringe.

OU James
10/24/2006, 10:46 PM
Why do cops hate football?

Harry Beanbag
10/25/2006, 07:01 AM
I think it's oppressive that a grown adult can get pulled over and fined for not wearing a seat belt. That's not America.

Ash
10/25/2006, 07:12 AM
While I agree that he should be held accountable...

Is it true he got popped at home? Home sweeps for traffic violators?????????????

I agree with some, this some is politico paddin' stats ("look at me, I'm tough on crime, blah blah bleargh").

There aren't more pressing crimes or issues??????????????

oy :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
10/25/2006, 07:29 AM
Wow, you f'in hillbillies have no actual crime at all, do you?
Only after a tornado hits...

Then all hell breaks loose. ;)

crawfish
10/25/2006, 07:40 AM

You'd think those handfuls of money we give players all the time would be sufficient. :) :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
10/25/2006, 07:55 AM
I think it's oppressive that a grown adult can get pulled over and fined for not wearing a seat belt. That's not America.

Grandpa?

Sooner_Bob
10/25/2006, 08:05 AM

Saving you from yourself man . . . saving you from yourself.

Oh, and I agree with everybody.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/25/2006, 08:36 AM
While I think the violations are iffie at best, you don't IGNORE the court or perceive to disrespect the court. Judges are weird about that. You know, at worst he would've been given a weekend jail sentence for the traffic violations, but most likely given a payment plan or request community service. Johnson is wrong here. You don't need the image that a Sooner football player was given special treatment. But then a friendly call to B. Stoops telling him Johnson needs to surrender or be arrested would have been better.

Hamhock
10/25/2006, 08:55 AM
I'm amazed at the people on here condoning Johnson's blatant disrespect for the law. I'm not talking about just the speeding and seatbelt, but the failure to show up at court.

He should be kicked off the team.

JohnnyMack
10/25/2006, 09:01 AM
I'm amazed at the people on here condoning Johnson's blatant disrespect for the law. I'm not talking about just the speeding and seatbelt, but the failure to show up at court.

How many people don't show up/forget about speeding tickets? I know I forgot the last one I got and barely got it paid on time. All I'm saying is that a college kid getting a speeding ticket and forgetting to handle it is irresponsible. However the notion that the Cleveland County DA is sending the Sherriff door to door picking up those reprehensible speeders smacks of small town Hazard County bulls*it. This is chest thumping at its finest.

Hamhock
10/25/2006, 09:13 AM
The kid was ordered to appear before a judge...twice. He said "I don't care, screw you!!"....twice.

i don't care what the charge was.

Tear Down This Wall
10/25/2006, 09:28 AM
Flaming liberals! Never wantin' to hold anyone accountable!

;)

:D

cjames317
10/25/2006, 09:46 AM
Most police/sheriff departments have a stack of arrest warrants to serve on people for minor offenses just like these. When there's nothing going on during the night shift, usually during the week, cops and deputies pick up a few and serve them. Often, the person named in the warrant is in bed asleep and some departments will pay a little extra to those cops/deputies that get those warrants served.

Every citation identifies the deadline when you must pay your fine or enter an appearance to plea or otherwise contest the charge. Every citation warns that failure to do so by that deadline will result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest. Once a warrant is issued, you don't get another notice or phone call. You get arrested, depending upon whether and when law enforcement has the manpower to do so.

There's no conspiracy here, just due process.

tnraider1
10/25/2006, 10:06 AM

I may be the only one, but I have to agree with you. I have received 4 tickets for not wearing my seatbelt in the past couple of months. I don't feel that anyone should be able to make you wear one. And all this saving you from yourself stuff is BS. I've heard the numbers all over the radio about how 70% of people who died in crashes last year were not wearing a seatbelt. That means that there are 30% who were. Every vehicle crash is different, and in many cases a seatbelt can harm you. My mother was badly injured in a crash and her doctors told her that the injuries would likely have been less severe if she had not had her seatbelt on. I have seen a man's head laying in the middle of the road in a crash that did not really look as bad as it was. Give you one guess as to what decappitated him. It's just another way to get more money. I just bought 84 Nissan 300ZX to fix up, and if I ever get in a bad wreck in that car, I would much rather be thrown from it then have it crumble around me. I'll gladly pay $20 per ticket to keep my choice in the matter.

Dio
10/25/2006, 10:22 AM
If our players wanted to wear seat belts, they would have gone to A&M.

caphorns
10/25/2006, 10:40 AM

Ditto. This place lacks institutional control ;)

Octavian
10/25/2006, 10:45 AM
somewhere there's an OU football player cutting the tags off a mattress...

Scott D
10/25/2006, 11:28 AM
Ditto. This place lacks institutional control ;)

I agree, let's get the horns banned.

boomrsoonr
10/25/2006, 11:54 AM
I may be the only one, but I have to agree with you. I have received 4 tickets for not wearing my seatbelt in the past couple of months. I don't feel that anyone should be able to make you wear one. And all this saving you from yourself stuff is BS. I've heard the numbers all over the radio about how 70% of people who died in crashes last year were not wearing a seatbelt. That means that there are 30% who were. Every vehicle crash is different, and in many cases a seatbelt can harm you. My mother was badly injured in a crash and her doctors told her that the injuries would likely have been less severe if she had not had her seatbelt on. I have seen a man's head laying in the middle of the road in a crash that did not really look as bad as it was. Give you one guess as to what decappitated him. It's just another way to get more money. I just bought 84 Nissan 300ZX to fix up, and if I ever get in a bad wreck in that car, I would much rather be thrown from it then have it crumble around me. I'll gladly pay $20 per ticket to keep my choice in the matter.

While I was like you for a good many years, a traffic accident of my own showed me the value of the seatbelt. So I now wear it all the time.

But that's not the issue here. The issue here is a violation of the law and his refusal to recognize the authority of the court. Period.

You don't like the law? Then lobby to get it changed. Vote in the people that think like you do and can get it changed. You don't have the luxury of following only the laws that you like. Someday, you'll be shown that when you lose your priviledge to drive for a while. And no, no matter what you or anyone else says, driving is NOT a right. It is a priviledge that can and will be revoked if you don't obey the laws.

OhU1
10/25/2006, 12:09 PM
somewhere there's an OU football player cutting the tags off a mattress...
Classic!

jrsooner
10/25/2006, 12:24 PM
The kid was ordered to appear before a judge...twice. He said "I don't care, screw you!!"....twice.
i don't care what the charge was.Hey! You never know. He might have had the same lawyer Dog hired in Mexico. Go home...don't worry about showing up in court...they'll forget about it..... yeah, right!

boomersooner82
10/25/2006, 01:09 PM
DWB

caphorns
10/25/2006, 03:06 PM
I agree, let's get the horns banned.

When you can walk in our shoes, carry the weed and weapons we carry, and self-help repoing your own damn plasma then maybe you can understand us better. At least I've driven without my seat belt before.

tnraider1
10/25/2006, 03:15 PM
While I was like you for a good many years, a traffic accident of my own showed me the value of the seatbelt. So I now wear it all the time.

But that's not the issue here. The issue here is a violation of the law and his refusal to recognize the authority of the court. Period.

You don't like the law? Then lobby to get it changed. Vote in the people that think like you do and can get it changed. You don't have the luxury of following only the laws that you like. Someday, you'll be shown that when you lose your priviledge to drive for a while. And no, no matter what you or anyone else says, driving is NOT a right. It is a priviledge that can and will be revoked if you don't obey the laws.

I would never claim that seatbelts do not save lives, they have saved many. I guess my issue is that no one should be forced to wear one. Even if you kill yourself in a car wreck, last I checked, you could not be convicted of suicide. No crime involved in my opinion.

I do agree with you on the current issue. I may not agree with the law, but I still pay the fines.

I would love to vote for someone who thinks like I do, unfortunately, the options are limited, and I have never actually voted for a person I liked, just the lesser of two evils. I hate the way elections are set up, but that's another topic.

RedstickSooner
10/25/2006, 06:45 PM
I would never claim that seatbelts do not save lives, they have saved many. I guess my issue is that no one should be forced to wear one. Even if you kill yourself in a car wreck, last I checked, you could not be convicted of suicide. No crime involved in my opinion.

I do agree with you on the current issue. I may not agree with the law, but I still pay the fines.

I would love to vote for someone who thinks like I do, unfortunately, the options are limited, and I have never actually voted for a person I liked, just the lesser of two evils. I hate the way elections are set up, but that's another topic.

Seat belt laws are the same as helmet laws for motorcycles - a bad idea by themselves.

We're Americans. We should be FREE to go without helmet, seatbelt, whatever.

The problem I have is when I have to pay for someone else's freedom - which is why car insurance should be "seat belted" or "non-seat-belted". If you go non-seat-belted, it'd cost more, but it'd cover your foolish self when you turned yourself into a paraplegic. Cops would still check for seat-beltedness, but they'd check from a civil standpoint -- by checking your insurance. If you were unbelted, and your insurance showed you'd signed up for belted insurance, you'd be fined a huge amount, and would be ineligble for belted insurance for some stretch of time.

Motorcycles and helmets are different. Helmets should be voluntary, but motorcyclists who face plant at 55 mph without 'em should be automatic organ donors. A sales tax on their organs would help fund the government's burden of caring for the helmetless bikers who *didn't* die outright, but managed to make themselves useless to society because of their need to feel the wind (and asphalt) in their hair.

Harry Beanbag
10/25/2006, 07:32 PM
Seat belt laws are the same as helmet laws for motorcycles - a bad idea by themselves.

We're Americans. We should be FREE to go without helmet, seatbelt, whatever.

The problem I have is when I have to pay for someone else's freedom - which is why car insurance should be "seat belted" or "non-seat-belted". If you go non-seat-belted, it'd cost more, but it'd cover your foolish self when you turned yourself into a paraplegic. Cops would still check for seat-beltedness, but they'd check from a civil standpoint -- by checking your insurance. If you were unbelted, and your insurance showed you'd signed up for belted insurance, you'd be fined a huge amount, and would be ineligble for belted insurance for some stretch of time.

Motorcycles and helmets are different. Helmets should be voluntary, but motorcyclists who face plant at 55 mph without 'em should be automatic organ donors. A sales tax on their organs would help fund the government's burden of caring for the helmetless bikers who *didn't* die outright, but managed to make themselves useless to society because of their need to feel the wind (and asphalt) in their hair.

Well, if you would stop crashing into unbelted people it wouldn't be a big deal would it? ;)

Personally, I haven't ridden in a vehicle without buckling up since I was but a wee child. But I have a hard time with a law making people wear them. It's one thing if a cop stops you for speeding and gives you an extra citation for not wearing one, but for them to be able to pull you over for that reason alone is wrong in my opinion.

olevetonahill
10/25/2006, 08:13 PM
Part of the old fart click checkin in here ;)
20 yrs ago I had a commercial chaufers license i could operate any vehicle on the road . No seat belt rules , no restrictions .
Now i have to wear a seatbelt, can only operate a 4 wheeler . and if i want to ride my bike legaly i need a special endorsement :eek:
So i got a letter from my doc that says i have med condition that precludes me from wearing said belt . But i have to remember to carry it with me :O
as far as the rest of that **** goes . those bastards didnt consult me when taking my freedoms away . so why in hell i want to consult them :cool:

jrsooner
10/25/2006, 09:09 PM
How many people don't show up/forget about speeding tickets?About 10 years ago, my wife got a ticket for stopping at a stop sign. The cop even stated she stopped by said they were making a "statement" about people running this particular stop sign and still gave her a ticket for running it.

Her word vs Smoky. We'd lose so we decided to go the driver safety class way. We sent in everything they asked for and thought it was taken care of. 3 days after the court date, they send everything back to us saying we failed to give them information on our insurance. The stinking copy of the proof of insurance card was mailed back to us also. We drove to downtown houston to pay the sucker, and found out that they issued a warrant for my wife's arrest. You see, they needed the whole stinking auto insurance policy, not just our proof of insurance card. The clerk took care of the warrant, but told her if she happened to get pulled over she would've been arrested on the spot.

Yep, we got nailed for "not showing up", but we actually had the documents to prove they had the stuff before the court date.

I can't believe the time Johnson was pulled over after the 1st court date that he wasn't arrested right there.

Texas Golfer
10/25/2006, 10:31 PM
If MJ was in this kind of trouble, why didn't he notify Stoops? All of these off the field problems are not only a distraction but does not bode well on OU's image.

Although I'm sure every team has a similar problem every now and then, the Sooners look like they're starting a fraternity for criminals (minor or otherwise).

rainiersooner
10/26/2006, 12:42 AM
We can sit here and say it is unreasonable, but the law needs to unquestionably be THE LAW. We cannot give individuals the power to decide which people get breaks and which ones don't. You should see what that could lead to. The law should be the law. If people are unhappy with the law then they should vote to change it.

You can't have individuals cutting people slack because they are students, or because they are poor etc. etc. and most courts will let you make arrangements. But when you choose not to show up, thats just plain stupid. Money or no money, it shows responsibility and respect for the law.

Knowing how to read speed limit signs and wearing your seatbealt or things Manuel learned in Driver's training. Turning his mistake around and attacking the law, no matter how silly it seems is plain wrong. He knew the law, did otherwise, and is facing the consequences. It sucks, but he brought it on himself.

Whats the first thing anyone outside of Oklahoma is gonna say when he does not have to follow the rules regular citizens follow?

OU FOOTBALL PLAYERS GET SPECIAL TREATMENT.

I'm not mad at all at the authorities. It should be a learning experience for him. In the real world no one considers anyones situation, or anything. It is what it is. He should get used to it. College is not the real world. And he can't expect the real world to consider his situation or background. Because it doesn't (and should'nt ) matter.

Absolutely false and sorry to say, ignorant on your part. If he wasn't an OU player, his file wouldn't have gone to the top of the large pile of files of people who haven't paid parking tickets. It went to the top because he plays for OU and because it would make the paper and because we would talk about it and maybe, just maybe, the arresting officer would get his name in the paper. Don't hide bind strict statutory interpretations to justify what is clearly unequal treatment. Just out of curiousity - how many people on this can honestly say they know anyone else who was arrested for a failure to pay speeding tickets alone? It doesn't count if they also had a warrant out for their arrest for chicken buggery or something else...just speeding tickets.

rainiersooner
10/26/2006, 12:47 AM
Most police/sheriff departments have a stack of arrest warrants to serve on people for minor offenses just like these. When there's nothing going on during the night shift, usually during the week, cops and deputies pick up a few and serve them. Often, the person named in the warrant is in bed asleep and some departments will pay a little extra to those cops/deputies that get those warrants served.

Every citation identifies the deadline when you must pay your fine or enter an appearance to plea or otherwise contest the charge. Every citation warns that failure to do so by that deadline will result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest. Once a warrant is issued, you don't get another notice or phone call. You get arrested, depending upon whether and when law enforcement has the manpower to do so.

There's no conspiracy here, just due process.

That's my point exactly - you don't think it's in the least bit interesting, or suspicious, or smacking of something untoward, that Manuel Johnson is the guy who gets the visit from the sheriff deputy? All you law and order types don't seem at all disturned that this isn't a function of due process, it's a function of grandstanding by some redneck deputy who's probably ****ed he didn't get a college scholarship despite being a decent linebacker for some 2A school in the sticks. By the way - again, for all you law and order types out there - isn't sodomy still illegal in Oklahoma? Cunnilingus fits within most statutory definitions of sodomy - would you condone the arrest of an OU player for that particular infraction because "we have to hold them to a higher standard?" Just wondering.

boomrsoonr
10/26/2006, 12:29 PM
Absolutely false and sorry to say, ignorant on your part. If he wasn't an OU player, his file wouldn't have gone to the top of the large pile of files of people who haven't paid parking tickets. It went to the top because he plays for OU and because it would make the paper and because we would talk about it and maybe, just maybe, the arresting officer would get his name in the paper. Don't hide bind strict statutory interpretations to justify what is clearly unequal treatment. Just out of curiousity - how many people on this can honestly say they know anyone else who was arrested for a failure to pay speeding tickets alone? It doesn't count if they also had a warrant out for their arrest for chicken buggery or something else...just speeding tickets.

And you're calling him ignorant?? Where is your proof that he was singled out for being a OU player? Where is your proof that it went to the top of some pile? Where is your proof of unequal treatment?

And as far as "how many people on this can honestly say they know anyone else who was arrested for failure to pay speeding tickets alone?" comment. My son received a seatbelt ticket a couple of years ago. He forgot about it. He was later pulled over and arrested for the seat belt ticket and was also, at that time, cited for "driving under suspension (resulted due to not taking care of the original seat belt ticket), and expired tags. He went to court and the judge set up a payment plan for him. Well, dummy him, didn't make the payments. So they finally issued another warrant for him. He wound up with over 1500.00 worth of fines and spent 3 months in jail when they caught up to him.

His blatant disrespect for the court cost him dearly and he's still trying to recover from it. All over a seat belt ticket that would have cost him 25 bucks and I would have paid it for him had he asked.

You, sir, don't know what you're talking about.

cjames317
10/26/2006, 12:51 PM

Norman PD hauled me out of bed late one night for unpaid speeding tickets. They almost arrested my blind roommate when he answered the door and said "I haven't seen him." A couple of months later, a Norman cop moved into an apartment upstairs. I told him what happened to me and he explained the procedure that I described earlier.

rainiersooner
10/26/2006, 06:23 PM
My son received a seatbelt ticket a couple of years ago. He forgot about it. He was later pulled over and arrested for the seat belt ticket and was also, at that time, cited for "driving under suspension (resulted due to not taking care of the original seat belt ticket), and expired tags. You, sir, don't know what you're talking about.

So he was arrested after he was pulled over - that's different than a police officer making the affirmative decision to go to Manuel Johnson's house. Of course I don't have proof. But I have some questions the answers to which would be relevant. For example, how much time had passed between the issuance of the arrest warrant and the enforcement of the warrant? What is the average amount of time that passes between an arrest warrant issuance and the enforcement of the warrant? Absent a public records production request, which I am not going to embark upon, I am merely speculating that the time frame for Manuel Johnson was shorter than the time frame for a similar infraction from Billy Bob Catoosa. Do you have proof that he was treated similarly to people who are not in the public spotlight? Stories about your son's escapades in the shower of the county jail are no more convincing - bereft as they are of any emprical data in terms of time lines - than my conjecture that it would be human nature for a sheriff to be more interested in chasing down Manuel Johnson's arrest warrant than someone elses.

rainiersooner
10/26/2006, 06:24 PM
Norman PD hauled me out of bed late one night for unpaid speeding tickets. They almost arrested my blind roommate when he answered the door and said "I haven't seen him." A couple of months later, a Norman cop moved into an apartment upstairs. I told him what happened to me and he explained the procedure that I described earlier.

Again, my question would be centered on what the average time lines are versus what it was for you. That would tell me a lot.

The Ensuing Kickoff
10/26/2006, 08:28 PM
soonercop is right on the money. I am also a member of law enforcement (also in CO, no less) and I can tell you that officers have to run folks when they contact them - and a warrant is a COMMAND from the court to any law enforcement officer to arrest. No discretion - it's an order.

I also can tell you that, although some jurisdictions have Fugitive Units to round up folks on warrants, I have never heard of such a unit for traffic offenders.

The kids was on summons. That is an order of the court. Obey it - crap, just show up. Hopefully this is a lesson learned by Manuel. But holding this against the folks that enforce the law, rather than the one that screwed up, it just plain dumb.

birddog
10/26/2006, 08:34 PM
people are still talking about this?

come on saturday.

1stTimeCaller
10/26/2006, 08:51 PM

Not in Norman unless something has changed since about 1997. I got a $72 ticket for parking on an unimproved surface or some BS like that. I went to the PD and asked the lady if I could either get a payment plan or see the judge. She said no to a payment plan and said I'd have to pay the $72 to see the Judge. I forget what I had to sell to raise the money but I sold something and paid it a few days later.

I also have a friend whose sister went to the PD to pay for a speeding ticket. Apparently she was supposed to have paid it the day before so the lady at the window calls up a police officer and they arrest her on the spot for failure to appear. She was in there, paying for the ticket and gets booked into the Cleveland County Jail.

This is another reason the Norman PD and the people running things suck. I will give them (Cleveland County) credit for letting people bond out at night and on weekends without having to see a Judge.

olevetonahill
10/26/2006, 09:48 PM
Not in Norman unless something has changed since about 1997. I got a $72 ticket for parking on an unimproved surface or some BS like that. I went to the PD and asked the lady if I could either get a payment plan or see the judge. She said no to a payment plan and said I'd have to pay the $72 to see the Judge. I forget what I had to sell to raise the money but I sold something and paid it a few days later.

I also have a friend whose sister went to the PD to pay for a speeding ticket. Apparently she was supposed to have paid it the day before so the lady at the window calls up a police officer and they arrest her on the spot for failure to appear. She was in there, paying for the ticket and gets booked into the Cleveland County Jail.

This is another reason the Norman PD and the people running things suck. I will give them (Cleveland County) credit for letting people bond out at night and on weekends without having to see a Judge.
what did she have to sell :eek:

OhU1
10/27/2006, 10:58 AM
She said no to a payment plan and said I'd have to pay the $72 to see the Judge.

You should have called her bluff. You always have a right to see the judge.

Widescreen
10/27/2006, 11:41 AM
My sister-in-law had a speeding ticket that she forgot to pay until she got a notice in the mail. She went down to the courthouse to deal with the problem and was pulling out her checkbook and the lady behind the glass goes "We don't take checks from FELONS. Cash only." You have to understand that my SIL is one of those hysterical wenches who lives exclusively be emotion rather than rational thought. I think she practically had a nervous breakdown right there in the courthouse. :eek: