PDA

View Full Version : Little going right for Stoops, Oklahoma (KC Star article)

milesl
10/24/2006, 12:26 PM
Debated whether to put this here.They just go over what bad luck we seem to be getting. The Star is a good paper except for its liberal bend.

Little going right for Stoops, Oklahoma
After years of doing no wrong, it's Bummer Sooner now.
By BLAIR KERKHOFF
The Kansas City Star

NORMAN, Okla. | If any college football coach exuded a golden touch, it was Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops.

He gave the Sooners a national championship and Heisman Trophy winner, and the letters OU became synonymous with BCS. When Stoops waved his magic wand, college football followers couldn’t help but marvel.

But on one unStoopslike evening in the Orange Bowl, his team could do nothing right. And with that embarrassing 55-19 loss to Southern California on Jan. 4, 2005, the magic not only vanished but also seemed to transform into a curse.

Dismissals, injuries, officials calls. Oklahoma’s fight song these days might as well be that old “Hee-Haw” tune, “Gloom, despair, agony on me…If it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all.”

But if the Sooners are getting worked over by Murphy’s Law, Stoops will tell you he didn’t study law.

“You guys make too much of this,” Stoops said. “(We) deal with things as they come and move on.”

Oklahoma, 5-2 and ranked 19th, moves on to 23rd-ranked Missouri for Saturday’s showdown with a different team than what might have been expected. No Rhett Bomar. No Adrian Peterson.

Stoops sees no need for sympathy.

“We’re a lot stronger than people give us credit for,” Stoops said.

The timeline started in August when Bomar, the starting quarterback and future star, and offensive guard J.D. Quinn got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. The sophomores were dismissed from the program for taking extra pay from a Norman car dealership.

The Sooners were now without their young, talented quarterback whose play was going to lessen the load for running back Adrian Peterson. But Peterson’s strong legs carried Oklahoma early. In the third game, at Oregon, he powered for 211 yards, and Oklahoma looked as if it were going to pull off a season-defining road triumph.

Oklahoma led by six and needed to recover an onside kick to ice the game. But the Ducks recovered and scored the game-winning touchdown. Replays showed an Oregon player illegally touched the ball on the kick, and officials missed another call on an Oklahoma pass-interference penalty.

Yet, the biggest blow was struck Oct. 14 against Iowa State. Peterson’s father, Nelson, who because of jail time had never seen his son play in high school or college, was in the stands. He saw Peterson rack up another monster game, ending with a highlight reel run on a 53-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

But disaster struck. As Peterson landed in the end zone, he broke his collarbone and is probably out for the rest of the regular season.

“We’ve had a lot of bumps this season,” quarterback Paul Thompson said. “OK, maybe that one was a hill.”

Oklahoma went with Allen Patrick and Jacob Gutierrez in Saturday’s 24-3 victory over Colorado. They combined to rush for 128 yards in 40 carries.

All of this from a program that seemingly could do no wrong beginning with the national championship season of 2000.

Trick plays? They all worked. A touchdown pass off a fake punt in a victory over Kansas State in 2001, a fake field goal that knocked out Missouri in 2002, another fake punt that kept alive a scoring drive against Alabama in 2003.

There was the remarkable stretch of victories over ranked opponents. Stoops’ teams won 18 of their first 20 against teams in the top 25 and 11 of 12 in the top 10.

They beat Texas five straight times, twice topping 60 points.

There was the national championship, four first-place finishes in the South Division and three Big 12 championships.

Even when something went amiss, the Sooners quickly recovered. Quarterback Jason White overcame two blown-out knees and won a Heisman Trophy.

Some might point to the 2003 Big 12 title game as the moment Oklahoma’s fortunes turned. The top-ranked Sooners were being talked up as one of the greatest teams ever when they lost to Kansas State 35-7 at Arrowhead Stadium. The Wildcats haven’t been the same since, but as a pivotal moment it doesn’t work for Oklahoma, which won the 2004 Big 12 championship after rolling to a 12-0 record.

That perfect 2004 season, though, ended with the Southern Cal debacle and the dark cloud still lingers.

Last season, the Sooners lost their veneer of invincibility. Peterson, coming off a freshman season in which he finished second in the Heisman voting, suffered an ankle injury in the season opener against TCU that affected him all season. Oklahoma lost to TCU, UCLA and Texas and started 2-3.

Then there was the loss at Texas Tech on a final-play touchdown that replays showed shouldn’t have been allowed.

After five seasons of double-digit victories, Oklahoma finished 8-4. With a healthy Peterson and a year of experience for Bomar, this was to be the bounce-back season.

But, so far, it’s just been more hard luck.

“We’ve definitely had a lot of unfortunate things happen this year,” Thompson said. “But stuff happens everywhere. We can’t use it as an excuse. We’ll get through.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OklahomaTuba
10/24/2006, 12:31 PM
It will go the other way before too long I suspect. Once we have the right leaders on the field.

sooner518
10/24/2006, 12:31 PM
Not a bad article. The only part I disagree with is when he says that ORegon recovered the onside kick.

IronSooner
10/24/2006, 12:44 PM
Not a bad article. The only part I disagree with is when he says that ORegon recovered the onside kick.

Haha, yeah...another facet often forgotten in that whole charade.

Otherwise yeah, that's about right. Hard to pin the cause on anything, but we have had two years of hard luck. But as I've said several times before, at least we aren't Miami.

soonerlaw
10/24/2006, 01:25 PM
From where Stoops had the program, there was only one way to move and that was down. Things like that are expected as all programs experience ebb and flow. What wasn't expected was the Bomar debacle, the Instant Replay debacle, and AD's injury. Inspite of all that, we seem to playing better and harder each week, just like last year. I have no doubt Bob will get OU back to the top again.

BigRedJed
10/24/2006, 01:35 PM
It's the horsepigs, people. As soon as we all recognize this and deal with it properly, things will turn around.

yermom
10/24/2006, 01:36 PM
you'd think we were 1-6 or something, geez

all this "bad luck" and we are 5-2, things could be a lot worse

yermom
10/24/2006, 01:37 PM
oh, and kill the horse-pigs

kplzthx

Dio
10/24/2006, 01:44 PM
WE RECOVERED THE ONSIDE KICK!!!!!!1!!!11

moran

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2006, 01:45 PM
you'd think we were 1-6 or something, geez

all this "bad luck" and we are 5-2, things could be a lot worse

Without the half of a season we had Adrian, we probably would be 1-6, horsepigs or no....

TripleOption14
10/24/2006, 04:16 PM
Thats what has been crazy; the fact that EVERYTHING has gone wrong this year and we're still a 6-1 ball club is AMAZING!!!!

stoopified
10/25/2006, 03:53 PM
Not a bad article. The only part I disagree with is when he says that ORegon recovered the onside kick.I hear ya brother.

BASSooner
10/25/2006, 05:06 PM
Things will change for next year for sure. We lose AD and PT. This will force us to change OUr O scheme for sure. We lose Ruuufus, Demario, and all of OUr star DEs...this will make some change on defense as well. Things are going to change, let's just hope Sooner Magic comes back to aid that change..and stick with us.

Oldnslo
10/25/2006, 08:36 PM
What I've seen this season is just how many things have to work out right for a championship season to become a reality. You've got to have senior leadership, young'uns in the pipeline, stud players here and there, no injuries, good refs, at least some favorable press, and so many more things JUST TO HAVE A CHANCE!

Got a great qb? Super! You better have a line to go with him. Got a qb and a line? Great! Now you've got to have a RB to take advantage. Got a qb, line and RB? Wonderful! But without receivers, you're not going anywhere. And Defense. You've got to have a line. Period. The greatest linebackers in the country won't be worth squat without a stud D-line. But even if you've got all that, you still need to have disciplined speedsters in the secondary.

Plus, you've got to have continuity in coaching. And those stable coaches need to have outstanding gameplans.

and after all that, the ball still, sometimes, just has to bounce the right way.

Up until this season, I've never really had occasion to think about how all the pieces have to fit together. This year, we've been a piece off here. Or there. Plus, this year, we sure haven't had the calls and the ball hasn't bounced our way, and we've had more than our share of injuries. But we've got a whole lot in our favor, too. Maybe it all won't come together next year either (and we can be entertained by those who are disappointed to consider going to the Cotton, Holiday, or Alamo bowls), but I have faith in our program.

We're still an elite program and we're going to continue to be an elite program. And a season or two down the line, all the pieces will fall into place again for #8.

Texas Golfer
10/25/2006, 10:37 PM
Murphy appears to be live and well and living in Stoops' pocket.

mightysooner
10/26/2006, 09:56 AM
I agree with the article for the most part. I think Stoops has had some poor judgement calls since his brother left and he's been defiant and obstinant in lieu of the glaring truth. The competency level experienced a tremendous vacuum when Mike left for Arizona and that has yet to be dealt with. The truth is he's made some poor decisions in staff retention and it's hurting him. His teams are no longer prepared or focused. They're undisciplined and mistake proned. We've all seen it. I like Stoops as our head coach but he's clearly not what he once was.

picasso
10/26/2006, 10:09 AM
I agree with the article for the most part. I think Stoops has had some poor judgement calls since his brother left and he's been defiant and obstinant in lieu of the glaring truth. The competency level experienced a tremendous vacuum when Mike left for Arizona and that has yet to be dealt with. The truth is he's made some poor decisions in staff retention and it's hurting him. His teams are no longer prepared or focused. They're undisciplined and mistake proned. We've all seen it. I like Stoops as our head coach but he's clearly not what he once was.
that's so true. we sucked thoroughly in '04 without Mikey.

NormanPride
10/26/2006, 10:10 AM
White.
Shoes.

mightysooner
10/26/2006, 10:37 AM
that's so true. we sucked thoroughly in '04 without Mikey.

In 04 we got by on having tons of lot of talent on the field. Even in spite of all that talent, we had an OC that went in to a shell in big games against any opponent that had a good defense because he wasn't qualified for the job, and we all know what happened to our defense in 04, and 05, and here in the first part of 06 against all the ranked teams we've played thus far. It appears Venables has our defense playing much better at this point in the season so I'll give credit where credit is due. Will it hold up? We'll see.