PDA

View Full Version : IS The Cotton Bowl The Best we Can Hope For..??

Blues1
10/24/2006, 11:02 AM
Just Wondering...??

IF we go the rest of the way with "W's" is The Cotton Bowl the Best we can Land..??

Still R'

MarylandSooner
10/24/2006, 11:07 AM
No I do not think so. I am not so sure that the shorthorns are not going to stumble a couple times before this whole thing is said and done. If that happens and we play to our capabilities there is no reason we cannot win the big twelve and go to a BCS game.

soonerlaw
10/24/2006, 11:08 AM
IMHO, probably so. There are a lot of teams ahead of us right now in the polls and BCS, so an at-large BCS bid might be a reach. That's why I was so disheartened by the Nebraska loss. That wouldv'e given TX one loss with games against Tech and A&M to go. It would have made us one step closer to representing the South in the Big XII championship. But, a 11-2 season with a Cotton Bowl win is not shabby at all.

OUGreg723
10/24/2006, 11:09 AM
No. There still may be a chance to an at large BCS bid. Don't forget that Texas still could lose. The Big 12 South isn't theirs yet.

I'd be very happy with 11-2 and Cotton Bowl Champs though.

BoonesFarmSooner
10/24/2006, 11:11 AM
If Texas loses only one Big 12 game, we will need to start printing those "Big 12 South Co-Champs" t-shirts!!!

Ok, maybe not...

BIG_IKE
10/24/2006, 11:36 AM
Texas has been bothered with injuries all season. I see no reason why they cannot lose. They have not played a game with their entire starting defense all season except the 1st one. They have all 4 members of the secondary playing hurt right now, 4 liinebackers hurt, Lokey out, Robison playing hurt.

These guys are banged up pretty bad. They had an article in the Chronicle today talking about how they had very few injurues last year, and how this year the entire defense has been injured. Injuries and suspensions doomed them against tOSU, and right now they ar emore banged up than ever.

We could very well win the Conference and go to a BCS game. Highly unlikely..but definently possible. Who thought we were gonna lose to OSU and Nebraska was gonna lose to Colorado in 2001..? Sending TX to the CCG after we spanked em? Anything is possible...

But we have a daunting schedule ahead of us anyway. 4 crucial away games. And a revenge monkeystomping of Texas Tech at home. Lets see how it plays out!

soonervegas
10/24/2006, 11:37 AM
We could wiggle our way into a BCS bowl, but we need some help. (i.e. winning out while Notre Dame and Boise State start losing as well as the big name teams winning their conference champ game) There is an extra BCS game this year so the window is a little wider than usual. If we win 5 in a row I can see us climbing all the way up to around 10th, which would put us in the discussion.

mrowl
10/24/2006, 11:39 AM
all depends on Mizzou, a&m, Nebraska.

Either San Diego, or San Antonio are the most likely.

TUSooner
10/24/2006, 11:59 AM
If tejas were going to lose, it would have been to OU (we blowed it) or Nebbish (they blowed it too). So we can forget about the Big XII anything. Last I looked, the World at Large still considers the Oregon robbery an "L", so with 2 losses, and no more to come, I hope, I don't expect too much from the bowl powers. But really, as long as we win out, and the go SOMEWHERE and WIN, I'll be reasonably happy. :)

fwsooner22
10/24/2006, 12:15 PM
Beat Missouri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooner98
10/24/2006, 12:23 PM
Don't forget, this year there are now ten BCS bowl teams, as opposed to eight from years past. We would need a few teams ahead of us to lose a game or two, but it's definitely possible that we could sneak up into the tenth spot, despite whatever happens to Texas. Of course, we'd have to win out, and probably have to get some pretty convincing wins to do so.

Widescreen
10/24/2006, 12:36 PM
Remember everyone around here making fun of Texas for "backing into" the B12 championship? If that happens to us, are we going to make fun of us too?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/24/2006, 12:37 PM
If tejas were going to lose, it would have been to OU (we blowed it) or Nebbish (they blowed it too). So we can forget about the Big XII anything. Last I looked, the World at Large still considers the Oregon robbery an "L", so with 2 losses, and no more to come, I hope, I don't expect too much from the bowl powers. But really, as long as we win out, and the go SOMEWHERE and WIN, I'll be reasonably happy. :)

I am not too sure about that. Tech always plays UT hard in Lubbock, so I wouldn't mark that up as an automatic W just yet. Besides, is it me, but doesn't it look like Texas has a hard time defending the pass? Look at what we did to them somewhat and then Baylor. There secondary is a little shaky. Also, I know they have beaten A&M six times in a row, but that is bound to change one of these days.

I think there is still a good chance at the Big XII, but if we don't go, the Cotton Bowl would be a great one to go to.

OklahomaTuba
10/24/2006, 12:38 PM
SHREVEPORT BABY!

That's where Championships are born!

yermom
10/24/2006, 12:48 PM
Remember everyone around here making fun of Texas for "backing into" the B12 championship? If that happens to us, are we going to make fun of us too?

i think we made for fun of them for choking to a team they destroyed earlier in the year and probably cost themselves an embarrasing beating at the hands of the U

we kinda backed into it in '02 as well though ;)

BIG_IKE
10/24/2006, 12:50 PM
I am not too sure about that. Tech always plays UT hard in Lubbock, so I wouldn't mark that up as an automatic W just yet. Besides, is it me, but doesn't it look like Texas has a hard time defending the pass? Look at what we did to them somewhat and then Baylor. There secondary is a little shaky. Also, I know they have beaten A&M six times in a row, but that is bound to change one of these days.

I think there is still a good chance at the Big XII, but if we don't go, the Cotton Bowl would be a great one to go to.
In all honesty,

Texas has one of the best secondaries in the nation when healthy.
I don't see a better starting 4 in the conference than Brown, Ross, Griffin and Griffin. But those guys have not ALL played at one time in some time. They are all hurt including the ones that play.

yermom
10/24/2006, 12:54 PM
A&M beating Texass but losing to Baylor would make me very happy :D

the Orange Pukefest may be the only game i root for the Pokes in, if they pull their get up by 3+ scores and decide to choke thing again i don't this team can pull it off

rhombic21
10/24/2006, 01:30 PM
There is no way that Texas loses 2 more games this year. If they had lost to Nebraska, then we would have had a chance, but I just can't see them dropping 2 with the remainder of that schedule.

As far as us getting a BCS at large bid, I would think that we would have a chance, but we'd need for some teams ahead of us to start losing. But I'll be happy if we win out, regardless of what bowl we go to. If we could put together a 10-2 season after everything that's happened this year, I'd have to put that down as a pretty good season.

yermom
10/24/2006, 01:39 PM
yeah, i'd be happier with 10-2 than getting a better bowl because the other Big 12 teams were inept ;)

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/24/2006, 01:54 PM
i think we made for fun of them for choking to a team they destroyed earlier in the year and probably cost themselves an embarrasing beating at the hands of the U

we kinda backed into it in '02 as well though ;)

I am also sure that OU players will no travel to a Texas game to root against the Whorns like Chrissy Sims, et al. did in Lubbock that year.

The Maestro
10/24/2006, 02:02 PM
I realize the Cotton Bowl was historical back in the day, but it has turned into one of the crapiest bowl games to go to. Dallas? Yee-freaking-haw! OU people go to Dallas all the time. Early January in Dallas? Yeah, bundle up! Fox early morning game at like 10 a.m.? Rotten tailgating in preparation of the game. And such a nice part of town, too.

San Diego is a great destination and I sure hope the Sooners end up there if at all possible. We would more than likely get the USC-Cal loser, providing the other team isn't in the BCS mix. Then it could fall to...yes, Oregon.

The Holiday Bowl has a great history for excitement and is a prime time ESPN game and a great place to travel.

Of course, being a five hour drive from there I might be a bit biased!

noobalicious
10/24/2006, 03:23 PM
Interesting question. Well obviously in order to have a shot at the Cotton Bowl we need to win out. That much is clear. However, running the table from here on out is far from certain. We have yet to defeat a ranked opponent this year OFFICIALLY (*Oregon*) and the next two games are on the road against ranked opponents! Not a good mix. I do think that both of those games are very winnable for us but they sure aren't surefire. Couple that with the fact that we close out with 4/5 road games total. Apparently Baylor isn't going to be as big of a pushover this year and I would expect OSU to play up to us. Our lone home game remaining - TTech - is against a decent opponent too. So this isn't in the bank yet. In addition we lost our best player and possibly the best player in the country, and one of our OT is now out for the year too.

However, I think our team has a lot of resolve. Our defense has been stepping up to the plate more now and forcing turnovers as well as shutting down opponents fairly effectively. Turnover margin will be key. And Allen Patrick has proved he can hold onto the ball which is also promising, thats about the only thing I was worried about with him. I knew he would put up good stats. I believe we will run the table but I think there will be 1 or 2 close calls. Just pointing out that we could easily lose a couple in these final five games.

The big question seems to be whether or not we can get into a BCS game. Winning the Big 12 doesn't seem very plausible. I think if we managed to get to the championship game we would probably be able to beat any Big 12 north team. However I just don't see us passing Texas. In addition to winning out, we would need them to drop 2 games. Against who? Maybe A&M I could see...but I don't really see them going into Austin and winning. OSU and KState should get shellacked. This means we would need Texas Tech to probably score a huge upset this weekend. Nebraska should have won and it would have given me more hope but I just don't see it happening now.

An at-large berth? Fuhgettaboutit. We haven't had any respect in the polls all year. We would need to be beating teams by like 60 the rest of the way. The only hope we really have is if somehow miraculously everyone ahead of us gets beat up with a couple of losses and we look better with an asterisked 2 loss record. The chances of that happening are pretty small so I really don't even consider this a possibility. We could make a run at it with some dominating victories and a lot of luck but its definately a long shot. If we have a small margin of victory both against A&M and Mizzou then you can pretty much kiss this goodbye.

So I think the Cotton Bowl isn't the best we can HOPE for...but probably the best we can realistically expect. And don't be surprised if we wind up in the Holiday Bowl or the Alamo Bowl either.

TripleOption14
10/24/2006, 04:09 PM
OU's chances of getting back in the Big 12 title race ended when that ****** bag WR from Nebraska fumbled the ball away. We had a chance up until that moment. Unfortunately, Texass has had their one scare for this year and they came out on top. Which just sux!!!!

TUSooner
10/24/2006, 07:14 PM
IF tejas were playing at aTm I might give aTm half a chance. But they are not. Best we can hope for is to win out and hope anybody and everybody in front of us loses.
BUT FIRST WIN SATURDAY.

Harry Beanbag
10/24/2006, 07:41 PM
This team can't just expect to win the rest of their games this year. Let's beat Missouri.

arcman46
10/24/2006, 08:20 PM
As much as I hate Texass, there is little chance that they will lose two more games this year. As far as a BCS game is concerned the fiasco in Eugene made our chances at going to a BCS game absolutely nil. Remember the computers only look at wins and loses, not at whether or not the refs gave us the shaft.

TXBOOMER
10/24/2006, 08:41 PM
SHREVEPORT BABY!

That's where Championships are born!

Are you thinking we are going to have another loss or two?

AllAboutThe'O'
10/24/2006, 09:34 PM
What about the Gator Bowl? Warm-weather location, reasonable kickoff time, new Big XII tie-in, and wouldn't they love to invite us.