PDA

View Full Version : I think Paul Thompson is now...

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 09:43 PM
...the best QB in the Big XII, a big statement after the Bomar fiasco...

King Crimson
10/23/2006, 09:46 PM
while i'm nothing but impressed with ENA this year, i'd say it's Zac Taylor or Chase Daniel.

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 09:48 PM
The fact that PT is in the hunt is nothing short of miraculous....

sanantoniosooner
10/23/2006, 09:52 PM
So he was the best, but now he's just in the hunt.

His stock is dropping fast.

All_Day_28
10/23/2006, 09:52 PM
I say:

1)Chase Daniels
2)PT

*Subject to change after Saturday*

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 09:54 PM
So he was the best, but now he's just in the hunt.

His stock is dropping fast.

Interpretation for mentally challenged: he is the best IMO, the fact that most everybody puts him at or near the top is a minor miracle...

Egeo
10/23/2006, 09:57 PM
he's definitely playing in a good way :)

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:03 PM
I really believe he throws better on the run than when set...his confidence is rising weekly...

sanantoniosooner
10/23/2006, 10:03 PM
He's growing up before our eyes.

DocNice
10/23/2006, 10:04 PM
...the best QB in the Big XII, a big statement after the Bomar fiasco...

I think that's probably overstating things a bit, but he does appear to be improving, and that speaks volumes to OU's coaching staff.

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:07 PM
I think that's probably overstating things a bit, but he does appear to be improving, and that speaks volumes to OU's coaching staff.

Not a year with a wealth of great QB's in the Big XII, Who is better...We are about to expose Misery's pretender like we did Coltfred E. Nueman...

SoonerHawk
10/23/2006, 11:06 PM
No way is Zac Taylor better than PT.

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 11:07 PM
Zac has played well but he is no PT...

Frozen Sooner
10/23/2006, 11:31 PM
I'm the last guy to be a fan of UT players, but Colt McCoy is ranked #9 in the country in passing efficiency. That Bobby Reid kid at OSU is ranked #2, by the way.

PT's having a much better year than we thought he would, but there's actually a few pretty good QBs in the Big 12 this year.

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 11:53 PM
Frozen, I'd take PT over any of them...

soonerhubs
10/23/2006, 11:58 PM
I'm the last guy to be a fan of UT players, but Colt McCoy is ranked #9 in the country in passing efficiency. That Bobby Reid kid at OSU is ranked #2, by the way.

PT's having a much better year than we thought he would, but there's actually a few pretty good QBs in the Big 12 this year.
To be fair, most of Colt's O-line will be playing on Sunday's next fall, so I really don't think that kid has been tested under pressure. I've not a clue on the Bobby Reid kid.
Then again that can be said for most subjects when my input is given. ;)

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 12:04 AM
If you consider a body of work to be from where one started to where they are now, PT is hands down winner of Big XII QB of the year...

sanantoniosooner
10/24/2006, 12:05 AM
If you consider a body of work to be from where one started to where they are now, PT is hands down winner of Big XII QB of the year...
Dude.......he said you couldn't be his myspace friend.

Let it drop.

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 12:07 AM
Dude.....lose that lame sig and you might have some credibility...that's it...

sanantoniosooner
10/24/2006, 12:10 AM
If you consider my body of work to be from where I started to where I am now, I am hands down winner of Big XII poster of the year...

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 12:12 AM
I agree, in the special-ed poster group, you are the man...

Texas Golfer
10/24/2006, 12:12 AM
Now if our receivers could only catch the ball. We've had too many dropped passes this year. One could only imagine PT's stats without the dropped passes.

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 12:14 AM
But we have had a lot of caught passes...admit though we have not been perfect...

sanantoniosooner
10/24/2006, 12:14 AM
I agree, in the special-ed poster group, you are the man...
Thanks for passing the torch.

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 12:16 AM
"What are you talkin about Willis"

BIG_IKE
10/24/2006, 05:31 AM
ENA will not get All-Big 12 honors. He may be OUr hero,

but at midseason...I think the Big 12 has the best QB's in the nation.

Thompson
MCCoy
Reid
Meyer
Harrell
MCGee
that Baylor dude
Taylor
Daniel

go look at the NCAA PAssing statistics and the Big 12 dominates all other conferences. Especially in accuracy and efficiency. McCoy's got like 20 some TD's and only 3 pics. Baylor and TTech's QB's have ungodly yardage....check out the stats. From top to bottom we have good QB's in the conference. That being said, there is nothing PT does that sticks out among them. Sure he was thrown into a situation, but he IS a senior, and several starting Big 12 QB's are underclassmen, Like I said, Great job PT, but I just dont see him getting post team honors with all the good QB's in conference.

mrowl
10/24/2006, 06:21 AM

in the hunt for what?

OUmillenium
10/24/2006, 08:12 AM
while i'm nothing but impressed with ENA this year, i'd say it's Zac Taylor or Chase Daniel.

No way on Zac Taylor. He misses badly on a number of passes every game. I wish Neb would have beat Texas.

Chase Daniel and Paul T are the top 2 in my opinion.

BIG_IKE
10/24/2006, 08:26 AM
No way on Zac Taylor. He misses badly on a number of passes every game. I wish Neb would have beat Texas.

Chase Daniel and Paul T are the top 2 in my opinion.

Am I missing something? What has Paul done that other QB's in the conference havent???/:confused:

Not statistically...
Not Team record-wise either..

Fill me in folks, am I missing something?

RacerX
10/24/2006, 08:38 AM
in the hunt for what?

snipe

SoonerBBall
10/24/2006, 09:13 AM
Guys, please remember who started this thread. His eye for quarterback quality is about on par with a Pac-10 replay official's eye for....well...anything.

PT is doing better than we could have possibly hoped for this season, God bless him, but he isn't the best QB in the Big XII and you know it.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/24/2006, 09:18 AM
Guys, please remember who started this thread. His eye for quarterback quality is about on par with a Pac-10 replay official's eye for....well...anything.

PT is doing better than we could have possibly hoped for this season, God bless him, but he isn't the best QB in the Big XII and you know it.

Got it. Traitor.

DeBarr
10/24/2006, 09:23 AM
Soonerus, please look at the stats for all Big 12 QBs then honestly tell me PT is better than all of them. Please, take the blinders off every once in a while.

Jock Ewing
10/24/2006, 10:52 AM
Statistically, there are probably 4 better QB's in the Big 12 South.

Football Jim
10/24/2006, 12:07 PM
After the Bomar fiasco, PT has really stepped up and shown great leadership qualities IMO.

He may not be the best statistic wise, but what other Big 12 QB could have stepped into PT's shoes under the same circumstances and been as successful?

sanantoniosooner
10/24/2006, 12:10 PM
I had no idea that PT had so many family members on this board.

Seriously, he's doing fine. But no reason to act like he's the 2nd coming.

SicEmBaylor
10/24/2006, 03:25 PM
ENA will not get All-Big 12 honors. He may be OUr hero,

but at midseason...I think the Big 12 has the best QB's in the nation.

Thompson
MCCoy
Bell
Reid
Meyer
Harrell
MCGee
Taylor
Daniel

go look at the NCAA PAssing statistics and the Big 12 dominates all other conferences. Especially in accuracy and efficiency. McCoy's got like 20 some TD's and only 3 pics. Baylor and TTech's QB's have ungodly yardage....check out the stats. From top to bottom we have good QB's in the conference. That being said, there is nothing PT does that sticks out among them. Sure he was thrown into a situation, but he IS a senior, and several starting Big 12 QB's are underclassmen, Like I said, Great job PT, but I just dont see him getting post team honors with all the good QB's in conference.

Fixed.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/24/2006, 03:40 PM
PT is going to leave OU as one of the most respected players ever to put on a uniform. Because of the position he is playing/depth I'd argue that he was/is more important to the success of the offense than even AD. He has managed the games very well and has performed better than most expected. He is a leader and I think he is a better QB than his stats alone.

That said. He is nowhere near All-conference. I'd have to go with Chase Daniel or even McCoy right now.

CatfishSooner
10/24/2006, 05:04 PM
No way McCoy...he looks like guy from Malcolm in the Middle , PT is better

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 05:06 PM
Soonerus, please look at the stats for all Big 12 QBs then honestly tell me PT is better than all of them. Please, take the blinders off every once in a while.

DeBarr, nice first post...

birddog
10/24/2006, 05:08 PM
Statistically, there are probably 4 better QB's in the Big 12 South.

statistics are facts. if you are going to use them then there is no probably about it.

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 05:11 PM
"How to Lie with Statistics"...a good old book...

BIG_IKE
10/24/2006, 05:17 PM
"How to Lie with Statistics"...a good old book...

Can you humor us with something else to go by?
We have discussed stats
We have discussed wins..

Does he have firebolts in his arms and an invisible jetpack on his back that Stoops won't unleash till the Osu game?

Your sick state of delusion scares me man.:confused:

VolinArizona
10/24/2006, 05:27 PM
I think PT has played extremely well, but he's behind:

Bobby Reid
Zac Taylor
Colt McCoy
Chase Daniel
Graham Harrell

He is better than McGee, but barely.

The Maestro
10/24/2006, 05:35 PM
I hear PT has been throwing lasers in practice.

And whoever said the Big 12 has the best quarterbacks in the nation...uh...no.

BIG_IKE
10/24/2006, 05:45 PM
I hear PT has been throwing lasers in practice.

And whoever said the Big 12 has the best quarterbacks in the nation...uh...no.

Who does?

Stitch Face
10/24/2006, 06:12 PM
Not a year with a wealth of great QB's in the Big XII, Who is better...We are about to expose Misery's pretender like we did Coltfred E. Nueman...

I don't even understand this stuff anymore.

SoonerGM
10/24/2006, 06:30 PM
Soonerus, you have yet to explain why it is you think PT is the best QB in the conference other than he has played better than we expected(i expected him to play just fine myself) and that he has overcome some adversity. Is that all?

do you follow all the qb's in the big 12 just as closely as PT? i sure dont, so i have no idea what problems these other guys have had to deal with this season. i also do not know what kind of intangibles they may have. so based off the stats and what i have seen with my own two eyeballs, PT has not done anything to seperate himself significantly from most of the other qbs in the conference. im sorry, but i disagree, for now at least.

i have to say, i also haven't seen much from Troy Smith to make me feel he should be the heisman frontrunner. sure he is undefeated but look at the team surrounding him.

usmc-sooner
10/24/2006, 07:32 PM
to be fair Soonerus thought Hybl sucked even though he was 12-2 and Rose Bowl MVP

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks for bring up Hybl who I have probably not mentioned in over 2 years BUT some people just won't let it die....

My analysis on PT is sort of a reverse analysis, who the heck is any better, forget stats they are dependent on who you play, the weather, the game plan and other factors...Colt is not impressive at all to me, Zac is Zac, Graham Harrell is a beneficiary of a system, Bobby Reid, get serious, leaving Chase Daniel who has played well against the "sisters of the poor" but will be exposed this weekend...all the while when allowed to pass PT has consistently played great, thus he is, IN MY OPINION, the best QB in the league and who I would pick if I could form a team out of Big XII talent....there you go, you are free to disagree but that is how I feel about it right now....

TXBOOMER
10/24/2006, 08:33 PM
I'd take Chase Daniel and Zac Taylor over PT. But PT is every bit as good as the TX QB and way better than the CO or Iowa State QB. The only game I have seen the Tech QB play was against aTm and he looked like the second coming of Dan Fouts in that game but has stunk it up in other games. The one thing that PT does to often is stretch his receivers out. They have taken a pounding going up in traffic to get that 8 and a half foot bullet out of the air. But there is no doubt he is way better than I thought he would be. I wish he would have got to start last year so we could see him reach his potential this year.

usmc-sooner
10/24/2006, 08:35 PM
well if you'd just think before you posted

if you forget stats, wins, systems what do you want to base your analysis on? Uniforms?

look we all love PT and I'm not going to criticize him ever, because he put the team ahead of himself but Soonerus sometimes you get out there with some pretty wild stuff.

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 08:40 PM
PT is a great QG, that is wild stuff in your world...I dog a QB and you bitch, I talk up a QB and you bitch...that's pretty wild/weird stuff....

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/24/2006, 08:42 PM
I would take Paul Smith ;)

mrowl
10/24/2006, 08:44 PM
so Colt is not impressive cause he is undefeated?

And I would still like to know what PT is in the "hunt" for

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 08:48 PM
I would take Paul Smith ;)

Paul has played well but did not make the Big XII...he looks good tho'

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/24/2006, 08:50 PM
Ben Roethlisberger didn't make a big conference either and he turned somewhat decent

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 08:51 PM
so Colt is not impressive cause he is undefeated?

And I would still like to know what PT is in the "hunt" for

Colt is not that impressive frankly, surely you have noticed....PT is in the hunt for Big XII QB first team...

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 08:52 PM
Ben Roethlisberger didn't make a big conference either and he turned somewhat decent

I said he looks good, probably not NFL good....

usmc-sooner
10/24/2006, 09:01 PM
PT is a great QG, that is wild stuff in your world...I dog a QB and you bitch, I talk up a QB and you bitch...that's pretty wild/weird stuff....

what is a QG? a QuarterGuard

I just think it's odd about what you talk up and bitch about. Maybe it's just me.

Soonerus
10/24/2006, 09:06 PM
probably you...QG = Quarterback Gargantuan...

DocNice
10/24/2006, 10:25 PM
My analysis on PT is sort of a reverse analysis, who the heck is any better, forget stats they are dependent on who you play, the weather, the game plan and other factors...leaving Chase Daniel who has played well against the "sisters of the poor" but will be exposed this weekend...all the while when allowed to pass PT has consistently played great, thus he is, IN MY OPINION, the best QB in the league...

It seems kind of convenient that you say "who is better?" but don't allow for statistical or winning comparisons. Your assessment of Chase Daniel is also pretty ignorant, in the most literal sense of the word. First, we haven't played the sisters of the poor. Our conference opponents, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Colorado and Kansas State all have top 50 ranked defenses, and Chase & Co lit them all up. Rankins even more impressive considering that Kansas State and Colorado have struggling offenses that leave their defense on the field a lot. We're averaging 420 yards of offense and have yet to be held under 300. Our lowest yard production games have been in blowout wins.

I know you don't want to use statistics, but they at least have to play a part. Chase ranks 3rd in passing yards and 4th in passing efficiency. No other QB ranks higher than Chase in both categories and no other player ranked higher in passing efficiency has nearly as many passes. He also ranks 2nd in total offense and 4th in passing TDs with 19 (plus 3 rushing TDs). I could go on, but you get the idea. While Chase doesn't lead the conference in any category, he is the only QB consistently in the top 4 in every category.

Okay, so what about the way they play. Chase is a dual threat QB, both on scrambles and designed runs and options. While he doesn't run like Brad Smith (who does?) he averages 30 yards per game, pretty decent for a QB. He makes quick decisions and very few mistakes. He bounces back from the few mistakes he does make and doesn't get fazed. He regularly distributes the ball to 8 or more receivers in a game. He can throw short, medium and long. He can throw slants, cross field outs and deep routes, and he has a good arm. He reads defenses well and almost all of his interceptions have come on deep routes rather than misreading a defense or getting flustered. He has a quick release and is difficult to blitz because he finds open receivers so quickly. And of course, a key factor for a QB is leadership. He is undoubtedly one of the best leaders we've ever had at Mizzou and is a big reason why our team has such a good attitude this year.

If I can find even one single thing wrong about Chase it is that he intentionally underthrows long passes, which sometimes results in interceptions. He also throws about 5% or 10% of his balls slightly off the receiver, maybe one or two feet. So what does Paul have to counter?

SoonerBBall
10/24/2006, 11:16 PM
It seems kind of convenient that you say "who is better?" but don't allow for statistical or winning comparisons. Your assessment of Chase Daniel is also pretty ignorant, in the most literal sense of the word. First, we haven't played the sisters of the poor. Our conference opponents, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Colorado and Kansas State all have top 50 ranked defenses, and Chase & Co lit them all up. Rankins even more impressive considering that Kansas State and Colorado have struggling offenses that leave their defense on the field a lot. We're averaging 420 yards of offense and have yet to be held under 300. Our lowest yard production games have been in blowout wins.

I know you don't want to use statistics, but they at least have to play a part. Chase ranks 3rd in passing yards and 4th in passing efficiency. No other QB ranks higher than Chase in both categories and no other player ranked higher in passing efficiency has nearly as many passes. He also ranks 2nd in total offense and 4th in passing TDs with 19 (plus 3 rushing TDs). I could go on, but you get the idea. While Chase doesn't lead the conference in any category, he is the only QB consistently in the top 4 in every category.

Okay, so what about the way they play. Chase is a dual threat QB, both on scrambles and designed runs and options. While he doesn't run like Brad Smith (who does?) he averages 30 yards per game, pretty decent for a QB. He makes quick decisions and very few mistakes. He bounces back from the few mistakes he does make and doesn't get fazed. He regularly distributes the ball to 8 or more receivers in a game. He can throw short, medium and long. He can throw slants, cross field outs and deep routes, and he has a good arm. He reads defenses well and almost all of his interceptions have come on deep routes rather than misreading a defense or getting flustered. He has a quick release and is difficult to blitz because he finds open receivers so quickly. And of course, a key factor for a QB is leadership. He is undoubtedly one of the best leaders we've ever had at Mizzou and is a big reason why our team has such a good attitude this year.

If I can find even one single thing wrong about Chase it is that he intentionally underthrows long passes, which sometimes results in interceptions. He also throws about 5% or 10% of his balls slightly off the receiver, maybe one or two feet. So what does Paul have to counter?

I get to dog Soonerus because we have history and are Sooners. You, however, are a dirty Mizzery fan that can talk all the smack you want, but still has to live with the fact that you got beat by Texas Aggie. You can list all the stats you want of your admittedly good QB, but he is young and, contrary to popular belief, we did not give up on the season when Adrian went down.

I was in Columbia 4 years ago when a free safety with gloves on through a touchdown pass to a pan-handle handed, backup tightend to give us a win over a pretty good squad with Black Jesus at QB. Unfortunately, it looks like this year's game will be just as close, but I still like our chances in your decrepit, wooden-bleachered stadium.

If you are gonna bring the smack, please try to bring it a little harder next time. 12 paragraphs about what your QB can do well is lame.

DocNice
10/24/2006, 11:59 PM
If you are gonna bring the smack, please try to bring it a little harder next time. 12 paragraphs about what your QB can do well is lame.

What smack? There's no smack there. The closest thing to smack was to say he was ignorant of what other QBs in the Big 12 are capable of, and I think that's pretty well established by now.

As for 12 paragraphs. I realize a Sooner has probably never read that much in his life, but Missourians actually like to support our arguments with evidence. Oh wait, was that smack? Oops! :hot:

william_brasky
10/25/2006, 12:12 AM
What smack? There's no smack there. The closest thing to smack was to say he was ignorant of what other QBs in the Big 12 are capable of, and I think that's pretty well established by now.

As for 12 paragraphs. I realize a Sooner has probably never read that much in his life, but Missourians actually like to support our arguments with evidence. Oh wait, was that smack? Oops! :hot:

Well this is a first. An actual Mizzou football fan. Holy sh1te. Welcome.

C&CDean
10/25/2006, 07:39 AM

Be nice, doc. And you'll have to just ignore our village idiot. He is always coming up with silly stuff. Hell, he was on suicide watch after Oregon, and had to be medicate after the Texas game.

crawfish
10/25/2006, 07:45 AM
I'm happy with PT considering the way things have worked out, but we're pretty much having to live with his limitations. His leadership skills are unquestioned, but you can't say the same about his accuracy.

C&CDean
10/25/2006, 08:01 AM
I'm happy with PT considering the way things have worked out, but we're pretty much having to live with his limitations. His leadership skills are unquestioned, but you can't say the same about his accuracy.

Dude, have you been to any of the games? His accuracy has improved so much he's not the same guy who stepped on the field vs. UAB. He's throwing balls into spots he couldn't have thought of doing before. If Iglesias would just catch oh, maybe 75% of the balls that hit him in his hands, Thompson would have 2-3 less interceptions, and a much higher completion %. I'm glad to see him throwing more often to Malcolm and Manuel.

Of course I'm not going to say "he's the best QB in the Big-12." That would be retarded.

Soonerus
10/25/2006, 08:15 AM
[quote=C&CDean]Dude, have you been to any of the games? His accuracy has improved so much he's not the same guy who stepped on the field vs. UAB. He's throwing balls into spots he couldn't have thought of doing before. If Iglesias would just catch oh, maybe 75% of the balls that hit him in his hands, Thompson would have 2-3 less interceptions, and a much higher completion %. I'm glad to see him throwing more often to Malcolm and Manuel.{quote]

Sounds like we may have a "village idiot" jr.....

sooneron
10/25/2006, 08:29 AM
RankinGs even more impressive considering that Kansas State and Colorado have struggling offenses that leave their defense on the field a lot.
Anyone else find the gaping hole in this statement? Just so you know, the more that a D is on the field, the more yards they will yield. It's a little thing in football 101.

MiccoMacey
10/25/2006, 10:06 AM
[quote=C&CDean]Dude, have you been to any of the games? His accuracy has improved so much he's not the same guy who stepped on the field vs. UAB. He's throwing balls into spots he couldn't have thought of doing before. If Iglesias would just catch oh, maybe 75% of the balls that hit him in his hands, Thompson would have 2-3 less interceptions, and a much higher completion %. I'm glad to see him throwing more often to Malcolm and Manuel.{quote]

Sounds like we may have a "village idiot" jr.....

Are you going to make him call you "Daddy"?

'Cause if so, I want to stick around for these fireworks.

:pop:

MiccoMacey
10/25/2006, 10:09 AM
Anyone else find the gaping hole in this statement? Just so you know, the more that a D is on the field, the more yards they will yield. It's a little thing in football 101.

I think that's his point...they are on the field so much, you'd think their defenses would be giving up more yards than they are.

Since they are ranked in the lower half, and STILL on the football field longer than everyone else because their offense sucks, that makes them salty.

Just the way I read that.

Jock Ewing
10/25/2006, 11:20 AM
No way McCoy...he looks like guy from Malcolm in the Middle , PT is better

Well that settles it

TJKDone
10/25/2006, 05:10 PM

Thank God for that post. I thought everyone here had become certifiable;)

Hook'em

sanantoniosooner
10/25/2006, 05:12 PM
Thank God for that post. I thought everyone here had become certifiable;)

Hook'em
Are you stupid?

Soonerus
10/25/2006, 10:38 PM
PT gaining fast on N8......a Missouri victory with a good game probably pushes him over N8....

sanantoniosooner
10/25/2006, 10:41 PM
PT gaining fast on N8......a Missouri victory with a good game probably pushes him over N8....
It would take a BCS Bowl MVP to top N8.

Soonerus
10/25/2006, 10:44 PM
No, all other factors point to PT...N8 just on a great team....