PDA

View Full Version : Michael Neal: Insulted

william_brasky
10/23/2006, 04:56 PM
Oh no you didn't Big 12 Coaches.

OU’s Neal insulted by Big 12 picks
By John Shinn CNHI News Service

NORMAN — Some players enter the season confident, while others are cautious.

Oklahoma guard Michael Neal fits into the former category. And you can add another category he fits in: Insulted.

The Sooners were picked by the Big 12 coaches to finish ninth in the conference. It’s a label that has Neal seeing red. He made sure anyone within earshot got his take on it Thursday at Big 12 Men’s Basketball Media Day at Cox Convention Center.

“This was just a slap in the face,” Neal said the first time a reporter asked him about the preseason poll. And he repeated for anyone who wanted to hear it again.

Unlike past seasons, the Sooners, who open exhibition play Oct. 31 against Oklahoma Christian, have virtually no buzz going into the season. The lofty preseason accolades that have surrounded them for several years are absent.

The usual heavyweights like Kansas, Oklahoma State and Texas are up there. But seeing schools like Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor and Kansas State pass OU in the expectations game hurts.

All those teams were picked ahead of Neal and his chums.

Neal was the Big 12’s best 3-point marksman last season, shooting 49.5 percent from beyond the arc in conference games. He believes most are missing the mark when considering the Sooners’ potential.

He acknowledges Taj Gray, Kevin Bookout and Terrell Everett are gone and their departure leaves OU without the constants of the past two seasons. But no building in college basketball is ever complete and no foundation is permanent.

The predicted swoon of Sooner basketball is a huge topic in the locker room.

“We heard it a couple days into practice,” Neal said. “When we heard it, we came into the locker room and were like, ‘Did you see what they wrote about us?’

“We talked about that as a team. We don’t address that with the coaches. They know it. We just show it to them in our drills and in how hard we work.”

Sooners coach Jeff Capel never mentioned a word about it to his team. Probably because no one mentioned it to him.

“I didn’t know we were picked ninth,” he said. “That’s the honest to goodness truth. I didn’t know until today.”

Perhaps, the slap the Sooners received a few days ago has lit a fire that won’t burn out.

“I know our guys have seen it,” Capel said. “If they want to use it as motivation, good for them. Whatever you can use to play better or work a little bit harder, that’s fine.”

yermom
10/23/2006, 05:19 PM
hopefully they can prove them wrong

keep dropping 3s Neal :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/23/2006, 05:29 PM
To be fair....I thought 9 was generous ;)

bri
10/23/2006, 06:17 PM
Is Michael Neal gonna have to choke a bitch?!?

dolemitesooner
10/23/2006, 07:21 PM
I personaly dont see us doing much better than maybe 6th...prove me wrong guys

King Crimson
10/23/2006, 07:36 PM
I personaly dont see us doing much better than maybe 6th...prove me wrong guys

i tend to agree. .500 in conference would be an accomplishment, IMO. i put us around 17-15

royalfan5
10/23/2006, 07:58 PM
It will hurt you guys not to get two games against NU,CU,MU, and ISU this year. It's going to be a four way cripple fight in the north, and the strongest cripple might end up a head of y'all just be virtue of not being in the south.

OUstud
10/24/2006, 08:01 PM
Didn't Tubbs' last team lose at home to Vanderbilt in the NIT? And then Calvin got us 20 wins? I can't imagine we were ranked too highly at the beginning of that season.

fwsooner22
10/25/2006, 10:09 AM
All of you guys with your predictions..............what in the world do you base it on..............You have not seen half of these guys and you have never seen this coaching staff coach............I choose to keep a positive outlook and an air of support............I will be there...........

fwsooner22
10/25/2006, 10:11 AM
It will hurt you guys not to get two games against NU,CU,MU, and ISU this year. It's going to be a four way cripple fight in the north, and the strongest cripple might end up a head of y'all just be virtue of not being in the south.

WE will still beat Texas

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/25/2006, 07:10 PM
Actually last year I watched OU play and did in fact watch at least half of these guys play....Taylor Griffin is a future star(and maybe now star)...Michael Neal is a VERY streaky shooter. Other than that, we are a little shallow everywhere else

OU_PhD
10/25/2006, 07:45 PM
Is Michael Neal gonna have to choke a bitch?!?

:D

the_ouskull
10/26/2006, 08:27 PM
Until Neal proves that he can put the ball on the floor, he's going to struggle against the Big 12. Everybody's book on him is, "great shooter, make him drive." Frankly, nobody else has proven to need a book on them. I always think that there's a chance and I get CRAZY about Sooner basketball, but for all of you who were wanting to get rid of Kelvin... Guess what?

He's gone now.

I hope that Neal, et al.. step it up and prove the league's coaches wrong... but until it happens, I'm going to doubt it.

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
10/26/2006, 10:10 PM
We'll at least go to the NIT this year.

oumartin
10/29/2006, 11:48 AM
glad i am one that tried to support Calvin.

BillyBall
10/29/2006, 01:17 PM
glad i am one that tried to support Calvin.

:D

stoopified
10/29/2006, 03:46 PM
glad i am one that tried to support Calvin.Cough!Cough! Cough! Yeah right.

ccmachine
10/30/2006, 08:31 PM
I’m choosing to be optimistic but not overly optimistic. I’m expecting the Sooners to finish somewhere around 6th in the conference. If by chance they do better than that it would be an amazing season but I think 6th or better gives us a shot at the NCAA.