PDA

View Full Version : OU/CU Game Review

David Earl
10/23/2006, 08:21 AM
Overview

I don’t have much time so I’ll just throw out a few quick thoughts here.

Colorado is a weird team this year. Early on they looked pretty crummy. We were all figuring everybody would roll them pretty bad. But through the season they began to look like they were improving. They nearly beat UGA. They gave Mizzou a tussle. They whipped Tech pretty soundly. They were showing signs of life. With all that, I was figuring this game was no longer an automatic win.

But OU went out and controlled the game from beginning to end. Given Colorado’s apparent improvement, I’m counting this as a good win.

Offense

Some are complaining about the play calling and the offensive performance in general. I didn’t think it was that bad. A few receivers dropping passes can make play calling look worse than it was. We passed several times on first down. It is not nearly as easy to predict what play we’re going to run. We even had more QB run game. I wonder if that is a deliberate evolution on offense or if the guys saw something in the CU defense they thought they could exploit?

QB

Thompson continues to play well. His passes were more accurate than I’d expect with such wind blowing. He had a couple sail, but no more than usual. He also threaded the needle a few times. Fewer drops would have made him look better.

He ran respectably well. The coaches are likely telling him to juke less and just plow up field more. He seemed to do that more as the game progressed and he put together a few yards.

RB

Patrick subbed for AD respectably well. It looks like his vision is not as good as AD’s, but he ran hard and held onto the ball. Did you notice how many times he had both arms wrapped around the ball? I think he knew if he fumbled that he might get yanked.

Gute didn’t get as many carries, but got more yards per carry when called upon. His running style reminds me so much of Q. His blocking is also pretty good, reminiscent of Q. Count me among those who’d like to see him get more carries. I suspect we’re using Patrick more for the simple reason that so much of our offense is built around the I-formation.

Chris Brown subbed well late in the game. It was good to see him get that score. You hate to see a guy lose a redshirt for just a few games, but the team needs another RB and Brown did nicely. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Brown. I’ve heard he practices well and I hear he’s one of those hidden treasure type recruits. Expect good things from him in the future.

WR/TE

Of course there were the dropped passes. Man, on one, Eldridge was wide stinkin’ open. I’m sure the cold was a factor, but it’s cold every fall and winter. Gotta make those catches. The blocking did seem pretty solid from this group. One possible exception there was the CU DE or LB coming in from the back side on run plays. I think on some of those it might be a TE responsibility to block, not sure. That was a problem some in our run game.

OL

Some have complained about the run blocking here; I thought it was pretty solid. CU has a good run defense, one of the better ones we’ll face this season. Patrick had some good running lanes to work with. IMHO, the line showed our run game isn’t just AD’s ability. They can give 100 yards to the backup guy too. I know CU’s run-blitz stuffed a couple of runs, but there were some plays with running room too.

The pass blocking was good again. I’m really proud of the guys here. Such a young offensive line and they are doing well in a difficult area of the game.

I also want to call out Trent Williams. He came in and subbed well for Braxton. For a true freshman to do that at tackle deserves a little respect.

Defense

The defense seems to keep getting a little better. They are playing with better fundamentals. I’d still like to see more hard hitting. Outside of that, I believe we can safely say our run defense has become formidable and the pass defense is looking a little better.

DL

The d-line is part of the improvement. The last couple of games it’s looked to me like the guys are not getting pushed as much. Did the coaches all of a sudden decide to start working on footwork?

The pass rush has been better, especially from the ends. That usually means better tackle play too. Ah You has looked good when in the dime package they move him to the middle.

LB

Rufus is playing much better than the first couple of games. Lofton is making some youthful mistakes but seemed noticeably better in the CU game. Latimer is also playing better in the middle. He had the heads up on his INT. Wasn’t that his second or third this year?

DB

This group still makes me nervous, but they’re certainly playing better. Walker is solid on one side. Holmes is getting better at the other side. I don’t remember seeing any play where the CB got totally burned in this game. That was an all too common sight earlier in the season. I know CU isn’t exactly a passing juggernaut, but going back to the ISU game, the guys have played better the last few weeks. It also needs to be said that Nick Harris is having a good year.

Smith is clearly not 100%. I respect him wanting to play, but I really wish we had let him rest so he’d bee 100% for the Missouri game. We’re going to need him.

Special Teams

The return game wasn’t much punkin. Part of that was CU kicking away from Smith. Part of that was Smith not being 100%. Our punting doesn’t seem as strong as earlier in the season. It’s not bad, just not getting quite as much distance seems like.

Hartley nailed the long FG. What was it? 46 yards? That’s pretty good, even with a tailwind.

Zebras

For the life of me, I just knew the halo rule had been taken out. I guess the zebras thought Wolfe touched the CU guy before the ball got there. Whatever it was they saw, they threw a flag, took the ball out on the West Coast and gave it to Oregon. I was totally confused.

Summary

I don’t know what the spread was, but 24-3 is a good win in this game. CU was showing signs of life but OU took care of business. No game left on our schedule is a guaranteed win. NO GAME! But every one is very winnable.

Playing Mizzou up there will be tough. If OU can pull out a win, it makes our College Station game look more winnable. If the team can hang together, keep improving, finishing the regular season 10-2 is within reach. That makes this Sooner fan smile. Boomer Sooner!

Boomer.....
10/23/2006, 08:35 AM
Good assessment. I agree completely. BTW, that halo call was bull**** and we covered the spread, it ended at 14.

PAW
10/23/2006, 09:16 AM
Good analysis.

I'm one of those who is not happy with the play calling, but I'm not a coach and I wasn't there. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it from my couch. I think we give the wind a little more credit than we should. Leach likes the wind to blow 20-25 mph (he may change his mind with this year's QB) and it seems like we are terrified when it gets up over 15-20 mph. In the 3rd quarter, we ran the the ball into the line on every single 1st and 2nd down play except for one 2nd down when there was about 30 seconds left. I was able to call every single play up to that play-action on 2nd down. Granted, because of the play calling they dominated TOP. PT is playing great and was able to convert the 3rd and longs. Maybe they have the confidence in him to convert those 3rd downs, so they are comfortable with 3rd and long.

As soon as the 4th quarter started, we opened up. Maybe the wind and cold were more of a factor than I thought, sitting on my couch in my warm house.

Now, you have to keep in mind that I'd like to hang half-a-hunderd on every team. IMO Stoops, being a defensive coach, plays a bit conservative on offense and more so when the wind is blowing. I think they felt like the game was over at 10-0, cuz the CU QB was more adept at throwing to our fans than his receivers and our D was playing awesome.

Based on the the last year-and-a-half, I don't feel comfortable until it's a 3-score game with about 5 minutes left.

I hope someone else is returning punts next week.

Injuries suck. The plethora of injuries we've had sucks like Texass.

Overall, a good game.

David Earl
10/23/2006, 09:23 AM
Yeah, we opened up more in the fourth because we had the wind.

Some of those runs up the gut should have been bounced outside. Patrick was doing that more as the game went along and the plays went much better. Makes Wilson look like a better play caller later in the game. Same kind of plays called, only the RB is bouncing it outside when there's room.

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2006, 09:35 AM
Some of those runs up the gut should have been bounced outside. Patrick was doing that more as the game went along and the plays went much better. Makes Wilson look like a better play caller later in the game. Same kind of plays called, only the RB is bouncing it outside when there's room.

On the post game interview, Patrick said he started bouncing it outside because AD told him to.

Norm In Norman
10/23/2006, 09:42 AM
Stoops said last night that he thought the halo thing was a good call. Maybe he was just being nice. Personally, I wish we would do that every play (sans penalty). Make them drop the ball because they are afraid they are going to get nailed. i think we've been working on that or something because it seems like we are surrounding the PR guy an every punt. it just seems different than previous years.

Norm In Norman
10/23/2006, 09:48 AM
As soon as the 4th quarter started, we opened up. Maybe the wind and cold were more of a factor than I thought, sitting on my couch in my warm house.
Well - you had to be there to understand the cold. The wind made it bitter and the flags were whipping all over the place. There was not one second when the wind wasn't blowing at least 15mph. I can almost forgive those dropped passes because some of them probably got pushed by the wind and I'm sure the ball was pretty hard because of the cold.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/23/2006, 09:52 AM
Question?

I read somewhere (I think a board) that said something to the effect that our practices were not physical as had been in the past and that perhaps there wasn't tackling because Stoops was concerned about depth? Is this right? This relating to his renewed emphasis on "fundamentals". Could this be right, no tackling? We saw how well it worked for Texas in previous years...

I hope I misunderstood that post (wherever it was...).

SoonerinLex
10/23/2006, 10:09 AM
I think the 3rd quarter play calling was planned to keep CU off the field. The Buffs only had the ball twice in the quarter. I didn't have a problem with it.

JohnnyMack
10/23/2006, 10:11 AM
On the post game interview, Patrick said he started bouncing it outside because AD told him to.

Would Patrick jump off a bridge if AD told him to?????

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2006, 10:50 AM
Would Patrick jump off a bridge if AD told him to?????

If it got him more yards...probably.

PAW
10/23/2006, 11:01 AM
Wilson said AP was just doing what he was told - "sometimes to a fault."

Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said Sunday that Patrick followed what he was told to do — sometimes to a fault.

Wilson teaches his backs to make a decision and hit the hole hard.

"We might have over-preached that to him," Wilson said.

"Maybe the opportunity was there to bounce the ball outside when things were pinching in and, quite honestly, he ran right into the blocking a couple times."

"Sometimes, you get what you coach. Some of the things he missed are a product of what we emphasized."

http://www.newsok.com/article/2960264

Scott D
10/23/2006, 12:11 PM
Suppossedly the CU return guy had signalled a fair catch, and the refs were ruling that DJ interfered with his ability to catch the ball.

OklahomaRed
10/23/2006, 12:25 PM
They showed it on TV a couple of times and I (nor the announcers) saw the fair catch signal? No big deal. I agree with Mr. Earl. All in all, a solid game for O.U.

Now it's off to Missouri. I think we should have a similar if not better outcome as long as everyone plays the same solid game; good deffense, no turnovers, and control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Sooners through thick and thin!

Stoop Dawg
10/23/2006, 01:28 PM
Well - you had to be there to understand the cold. The wind made it bitter and the flags were whipping all over the place. There was not one second when the wind wasn't blowing at least 15mph. I can almost forgive those dropped passes because some of them probably got pushed by the wind and I'm sure the ball was pretty hard because of the cold.

So you're saying the wind was tricky, Mack?

;)

GottaHavePride
10/23/2006, 02:21 PM

OK, some people are going to totally mis-interpret this, but I'll say it anyway. AD might actually be able to take something positive away from this injury. But you know how when you try to teach something to someone else, you wind up understanding it WAY better yourself? AD might actually develop his field vision as a result of coaching the other guys on the sidelines.

David Earl
10/23/2006, 02:56 PM
OK, some people are going to totally mis-interpret this, but I'll say it anyway. AD might actually be able to take something positive away from this injury. But you know how when you try to teach something to someone else, you wind up understanding it WAY better yourself? AD might actually develop his field vision as a result of coaching the other guys on the sidelines.

OH SO YOU'RE GLAD AD IS HURT!

WAY TO GO NO TRUE SOONER WOULD EVAR SAY HE IS GLAD AD IS HURT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

:mad:

GottaHavePride
10/23/2006, 02:59 PM
Heh.

westcoast_sooner
10/23/2006, 03:09 PM
GHP - good observation. I was thinking that the RBs could all start coaching each other and that it would likely become sort of an infectious thing - all working and acting like a team. Wish AD was in the backfield, but as long as he's on the sidelines, I think it will do nothing but make the other guys better.

I actually didn't have too much issue with play calling in the 2nd and 3rd, since the wind was against us, and our D was dominating. I figured we were being conservative to keep them getting a short field with a mistake or lucky play.

Glad to see both Offense and Defense put together a solid game, that AP looked pretty good, and others looked solid.

Trip to Columbia will be a tough one, IMO. Their QB is probably better than any we've faced so far. I guess Pinkel hasn't ruined him yet.