PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Crawfish, re: Phillip Pullman

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2006, 09:04 PM
Were you the person who recommended His Dark Materials to me?

I just got done with The Northern Lights and started The Subtle Knife last night. When am I supposed to start caring about this Lyra girl?

crawfish
10/23/2006, 07:48 AM
Were you the person who recommended His Dark Materials to me?

I just got done with The Northern Lights and started The Subtle Knife last night. When am I supposed to start caring about this Lyra girl?

Didn't recommend it...I was just pointing out that for all the Christian/religous flap over the fairly innocent Harry Potter books, none of them had heard of this second-bestselling children's series, which is directly subversive and anti-Christian in nature. You won't really see it in the first book, but by the third you'll see a complete reimagining of the Christian belief of heaven and God that should offend 90% of the Christians in this country. I fully believe that Pullman wanted to be the anti-C.S. Lewis and write the anti-Narnia.

Artistically, it's a well-written series, and you will eventually care more about her. The armored polar bears are a cool concept. The Catholic church will NOT be amused.

I suppose that will change when the movie comes out next year.

Frozen Sooner
10/23/2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, the panserbjorne were kinda cool I guess.

As it stands right now, though, Lyra seems to need nothing more than about a month of timeout and a few solid whippin's.

crawfish
10/23/2006, 10:26 AM
The boy he introduces in book is even more difficult to like.