PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith's status

Scotty
10/22/2006, 08:08 PM
In case anyone was wondering...

NORMAN — Reggie Smith's knee is only bruised, Bob Stoops said Saturday night.

Though speculation grew throughout the week that Smith's injured left knee was more serious, Stoops said in his postgame press conference that that's not the case.

"I don't know the technical terms," he said. "(It is) a bruise."

Stoops expects Smith to be available next week when the Sooners visit Missouri.

"That leg should be much better as he goes," Stoops said. "If it was something that would get worse, he wouldn't be playing. It's something that should heal and should get better with time."

Smith, who missed two days of practice this week because of the injury, did not start Saturday, ending a string of 16 straight starts.

He was replaced at strong safety by Nic Harris.

"We felt he missed enough practice that we were a little unsure, and Nic's been playing really well," Stoops said.

Smith entered on OU's third defensive play when the Sooners went to five defensive backs.

In those situations, Smith returned to his usual strong safety role and Harris to his nickelback spot.

"(Smith) didn't play that many snaps," Stoops said. "We've got enough guys out. If the doctor says he can play, he can play."

Smith remained in his role returning kicks and punts, but did not appear to be as mobile as he's been this season.

On the only two punts he attempted to return, he had one for no gain and one for a loss of a yard.

Boomer.....
10/23/2006, 08:50 AM
Good to know.

RedstickSooner
10/23/2006, 09:27 AM
Excuse me, Stewardess, I speak Stoops. Allow me to translate.

"Smith has been nursing a network of hairline fractures in his knee for weeks. Towards the end of the game, when he planted to make a cut, his knee actually exploded. Bone shards flew everywhere. Trainers, players, coaches, and even the Ruff Neks pitched in to hunt for Reggie's knee, and we did manage to recover roughly 85% of the bone fragments. Doctors say he'll never walk again, but I've already told him I expect him on the field come Saturday. After all, I once played with a dead mongoose lockjawed on my knutes, a dislocated leg held on with duct tape, and during a blackout caused by multiple first-quarter concussions. I made 12 tackles, and picked off a pass -- none of which I have any recollection of. He can play through this mild knee issue of his."

Hope that helps :)

PAW
10/23/2006, 10:40 AM
Heh.

He doesn't even show in the defensive stats. I thought he rocked that guy's world and caused a fumble in the 4th quarter, before limping off the field but the game summary shows it was Walker and Williams on the tackle.

Seems like they had him on the field in nickel situations and for punt returns (2 for -1 yards not including the ones he couldn't field).

How many plays was he actually on the field?

goingoneight
10/23/2006, 09:20 PM

"Smith has been nursing a network of hairline fractures in his knee for weeks. Towards the end of the game, when he planted to make a cut, his knee actually exploded. Bone shards flew everywhere. Trainers, players, coaches, and even the Ruff Neks pitched in to hunt for Reggie's knee, and we did manage to recover roughly 85% of the bone fragments. Doctors say he'll never walk again, but I've already told him I expect him on the field come Saturday. After all, I once played with a dead mongoose lockjawed on my knutes, a dislocated leg held on with duct tape, and during a blackout caused by multiple first-quarter concussions. I made 12 tackles, and picked off a pass -- none of which I have any recollection of. He can play through this mild knee issue of his."

He lost a lot of blood, but don't worry, we found most of it...

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 09:23 PM
Reggie did not look like "Reg-gie"....

Widescreen
10/23/2006, 11:57 PM

GD, REGGIE RAY!!!!!11!1!!!

handcrafted
10/24/2006, 10:15 PM

POST.

OF.

THE.

YEAR.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

P.S. Somebody go find the shards of my azz cuz I just laughed it off!!!!

SoonerNorth
10/24/2006, 10:47 PM
The thing that worries me is Stoops never talks about how serious an injury really is. Remember when Jason hurt his knee, the first time I think, Stoops called that a deep bruise also. He said so long as it can't get any worse, then he'll try and go.

I just hope this is not the same kind of thing.

Desert Sapper
10/25/2006, 04:29 AM
Why not let him tell you?

Reggie Post-Practice Video (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&ATCLID=657928)

StoopTroup
10/25/2006, 07:06 AM
Reggie did not look like "Reg-gie"....
I agree, however the swirling winds and shanked punts probably didn't help him either.

goingoneight
10/25/2006, 07:36 PM
Reggie's returning kicks Ninja-Style this week, on his hands. Watch out for his reverse impression of the Chuck Norris roundhouse kick...

SeattleOUstudent
10/25/2006, 10:30 PM
I agree, however the swirling winds and shanked punts probably didn't help him either.

Its all about the wind, man. Wind f'n caught AD in mid air, twisting his body and thus breaking his collarbone. F the wind. ;)

Fraggle145
10/26/2006, 01:26 AM
Its all about the wind, man. Wind f'n caught AD in mid air, twisting his body and thus breaking his collarbone. F the wind. ;)

No it was the horsepigs... the goddam horse pigs.