PDA

View Full Version : Was this "Tulsa World" tool at the same game I was last night?

Okla-homey
10/22/2006, 12:30 PM
I know this guy was up in the box in climate-conditioned comfort while I freezed by kiester off, but seriously, the mood of fans around me was pretty danged upbeat. I did NOT sense a lot of gloominess as he asserts.

Sure, it would be great if AD were healthy, but crap happens and OUr kids went out there in the first cold-weather game of the year and executed. I saw a team that is still capable of finishing 9-2.

Sooners smother Buffaloes
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
10/22/2006

NORMAN -- If Saturday's first half was any indication of Oklahoma football A.A.D. -- After A.D. -- then the Sooners may be facing a significant rebuild on offense.

No. 20-ranked OU, playing its first game without rushing star Adrian "All Day" Peterson, scored a touchdown on its first possession, then slogged through the rest of the first half and, in fact, much of the rest of the game.

That, though, and a suffocating :D Sooner defense, was enough to withstand Colorado.

The Sooners were 24-3 winners, sending home a chilled Memorial Stadium crowd of 84,443 maybe slightly less than satisfied and perhaps longing for Peterson, who missed his first game after a broken collarbone suffered last week against Iowa State.

"Offensively, I thought we really managed the game," said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, citing no turnovers and three sustained drives. [my sentiments precisely]

Oklahoma improved to 5-2 overall and 2-1 in Big 12 Conference play. Colorado fell to 1-7 and 1-3.

It was hard to tell whether the Sooner offense was hurt more by the loss of college football's most dynamic running back, by a stiff Colorado defense, by the 40-degree wind chill

or just by untimely dropped passes and drive-killing penalties.

"Our defense played great," said CU coach Dan Hawkins. "They played with a lot of heart and made some plays."

Oklahoma's running game eventually gained steam, and its passing game connected on a handful of important completions. But the Sooners finished with a season-low 271 total yards. [playing against the ninth ranked D in the country I might add] Their previous low was 333 against Texas.

Quarterback Paul Thompson completed 17-of-26 passes, but gained just 105 yards. Running back Allen Patrick, filling in for Peterson, rushed for 110 yards but needed 35 carries (3.1 yards per carry). Big-play threat Malcolm Kelly caught a season-high seven passes, but gained just 64 yards. OU was hamstrung by three more false-start penalties (now up to 17 on the season) and four dropped passes. [That is going to happen in cold weather]

"We've got to be able to stop" the presnap penalties, Stoops said. "The conditions weren't the best. I thought that contributed to a lot of the drops." But, he added, "we need to catch it better."

Adding to the Sooners' troubles, starting left tackle Branndon Braxton left the game in the third quarter with a broken left leg.

Still, OU put up plenty of offense -- including 9-of-18 third-down conversions and a 13 1/2 minute edge in time of possession -- for a rejuvenated Sooner defense going against an overmatched Colorado offense.

"We had a good game plan, and we went out and executed it," said linebacker Rufus Alexander, who had a season-high 11 tackles. [That guy is a stone-cold stud]

The Buffaloes came in averaging 285 yards per game -- last in the Big 12 and 103rd in the nation -- but had scored 61 points in their last two games. Against the Sooners, CU managed a season-low 113 total yards, 51 of which came on the Buffs' only scoring drive, and tied a season low for points. Eleven CU plays were knocked for a loss by the Oklahoma defense.

"Defensively, we tackled, and our positioning on the ball was excellent," Stoops said.

Buffs quarterback Bernard Jackson broke free for 54 yards rushing, but completed just 3-of-14 passes for 39 yards, was repeatedly chased and eventually threw an interception to linebacker Zach Latimer.

"We got dominated on offense," Hawkins said. "OU is talented on defense and they do a very good job."

The Sooners had little trouble on their first drive, going 61 yards in 12 plays. Thompson was 3-of-5 on the march, including two third-down conversions that were perfect throws -- the second a slick, 3-yard touchdown to Manuel Johnson. And Patrick ran seven times for 36 yards, including a pair of nifty 12-yard dashes.

But against the ninth-ranked rushing defense in NCAA Division I-A, Patrick found little room to run the rest of the first half. Patrick's season totals as Peterson's backup were meager: 18 rushing attempts, 62 yards. Saturday, he showed inexperience and indecision at times but also showed good acceleration and ball security.

Patrick finished strong in the second half, fighting off leg cramps to put up workhorse numbers.

"I'm a little sore," Patrick said. "I'll work on that."

"It's impressive," Stoops said. "But Allen's a tough guy. He's a competitor as well. I always love his attitude."

The Sooners tacked on a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns, one on a 2-yard dive by Patrick, the other on a 4-yard run by freshman Chris Brown in his first action of the season. OU netted 166 yards on the ground, including 26 by Thompson, 18 by Jacob Gutierrez and 12 by Brown.

"Our running backs really ran hard and took care of the football," Stoops said. "That's a defense that's played well against everybody."

After the opening drive, The Sooners didn't come near the end zone again until a 12-play, 54-yard drive early in the fourth quarter that gave Oklahoma a 17-0 cushion on Patrick's first TD.

"My teammates know I can go out there and get the job done. But a lot of fans probably didn't think so," Patrick said. "But I came out there and made my point."[You go Patrick, bring it!]

Only a late field goal by Mason Crosby kept the Buffaloes from being shut out for the first time in 18 years. Colorado has now scored in 218 consecutive games, the sixth-longest active streak in the nation and the 12th-best all-time.

OU answered that with a 12-play, 43-yard march that ended with Brown's TD.

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

bri
10/22/2006, 12:38 PM
What can you do, man? It's the World. They're just cranky that beloved aggy lost. :D

stoopified
10/22/2006, 01:03 PM
What can you do, man? It's the World. They're just cranky that beloved aggy lost. :DHeh

King Crimson
10/22/2006, 01:09 PM
ENA did a heckuva job taking care of the ball. IMO.

bri
10/22/2006, 01:09 PM
Seriously, they don't even try to hide it. OU and TU win yesterday, and aggy loses. 2/3 of the front page of the sports section is the aggy headline, pic and story.

that rag is f*ckin' worthless.

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2006, 01:15 PM
citing no turnovers

Apparently he wasn't, as Malcolm Kelly lost a fumble in the first half.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/22/2006, 02:00 PM
There's a reason his last name is Hoover.

And it ain't because he lives in Delta House and is good buddies with Otter and Boon.

Collier11
10/22/2006, 02:27 PM
He may be an idiot, but I continue to be underwhelmed with the lack of creativity on offense, if we dont open it up just a LITTLE bit, then we cant win at mizzou and at a&m, am I off base here???

Pepper
10/22/2006, 02:27 PM
I do not think Colorado was 9th in total defense, but in rushing defense. They are now 90th in pass defense, which is why I don't understand why we didn't throw the ball more. Offensive play calling was the worst I have seen all year, and I have not complained about it in previous games.

Flagstaffsooner
10/22/2006, 02:38 PM
I don't think the article was that bad but the World is an aggie rag.

MiccoMacey
10/22/2006, 02:43 PM
I do not think Colorado was 9th in total defense, but in rushing defense. They are now 90th in pass defense, which is why I don't understand why we didn't throw the ball more. Offensive play calling was the worst I have seen all year, and I have not complained about it in previous games.

I would imagine our game plan was to establish the run and keep running (unless we were in trouble of losing the game) to see what type of run game we had.

That makes sense to me, since CU was not even close to moving the ball on us and we had a lead from the git-go.

Especially since we just lost our all-world RB, and we had to find out what we could and could not do in that department.

MiccoMacey
10/22/2006, 02:44 PM
Seriously, they don't even try to hide it. OU and TU win yesterday, and aggy loses. 2/3 of the front page of the sports section is the aggy headline, pic and story.

If you're Aggie, your argument would be "See when we lose it's all over the front of the sports page but when we win, OU gets all the glory."

John Kochtoston
10/22/2006, 03:06 PM
As to the "lack of offensive creativity," the plan last night seemed pretty obvious to me. Colorado can't do diddly-poo offensively. So, OU shortened up the second and third quarters by running an awful lot, while facing a 20+ MPH wind, and opened up the playbook, at least a bit, in the first and fourth. Not he most impressive offensive showing , to be sure, but really smart football.

SoonerDood
10/22/2006, 03:25 PM
sometimes you need to pull a Milton Berle. Show just enough to win.

bri
10/22/2006, 05:36 PM
If you're Aggie, your argument would be "See when we lose it's all over the front of the sports page but when we win, OU gets all the glory."

Dude, if I was aggy...I'd be hanging by the neck from the sturdiest beam in my home. 'Cause I don't wanna live in a world that would be so cruel as to make me be aggy.

goingoneight
10/22/2006, 05:44 PM

... but that's the "real newspaper" everyone around here proclaims...

birddog
10/22/2006, 05:50 PM
we threw the ball 27 times. i think the stiff wind had alot to do with our game plan. that, and we wanted to put ap through the ringer to build up some confidence.

Soonerus
10/22/2006, 07:03 PM

That may be true but the owners of the "World" are huge OU fans....

crimson&cream
10/22/2006, 07:15 PM

Ain't no doubt about their favorite. The front sports page is usually always lOSUr even during the week. Hell!, they very seldom give TU a home town team the coverage they give the Brokeback Cowboys or OU.Must all be lOSUr grads.
I e-mailed them recently and ask if NSU still played FB for you wouldn't know by their coverage. A good part of NSU's squad is NE Oklahomans, 4 from EC, and most of the area school teachers are NSU grads. Jenks, East Central and Memorial's Head Coaches all played at NSU, let alone others nearby.Terribly biased when it comes to coverage,and it's kind of funny at the HS level as their favorites there aren't doing that well, as they think the only real HS FB played around here is played by BTW,B.A.,Union, & Jenks.:pop:

Tulsa_Fireman
10/22/2006, 07:30 PM
...they think the only real HS FB played around here is played by BTW,B.A.,Union, & Jenks.

Can't get much more true than that. Number 2 team in 5A, conference 5A-2 leader, and 5A juggernaut, whose only loss comes from a referee jaded 1st week contest at S.E. Williams in Booker T. Not to mention that loss, until Muskogee uncorked a can, was the closest anyone had played the Hornets in all of 6A. 38-35, BTW over my beloved Carl Albert Titans.

Not hardly a write-up at all, even with the anticipated 5A state championship clash of East Central and my Scarlet and Silver. The most we got was a single sentence nod to David Oku. All while minus the BTW out of conference game, outscoring the entire schedule 371-55.

Not a peep out of the World.

That's not a sports page, it's a sh*trag. What they're pushin', I dunno. But it ain't national and in-state sports coverage. Not coverage worth two shakes, at least.

Pricetag
10/22/2006, 07:34 PM

I loved the "Aggie Agony" headline, though.

I guess you guys didn't read Sittler's article, huh? He ignored any positive that came out of the game last night, and said that OU's goal should be to get that sixth win to become bowl eligibile. I'm not taking anything for granted, but I thought it was ridiculous to be pushing an angle where we lose out the rest of the season.

This defense can't win. When they're busting and giving up big yardage and points to bad to mediocre offenses, they suck. When they're shutting bad to mediocre offenses down, it's because the offenses are bad to mediocre. :confused:

Vaevictis
10/22/2006, 07:48 PM

I think the wind was a factor in this. It was really obnoxious last night. Very strong gusts that would cut in and out at an instant. Hell, we called a time-out at the end of the first quarter just to get that field goal kick off before we had to switch sides of the field. Both teams were clearly cognizant of it.

It also doesn't help that our receivers drop the ball way more than they should. I think I counted at least 7 drops during the course of the game.

bri
10/22/2006, 07:52 PM
Catching the ball is for PUSSIES! :D

toast
10/23/2006, 09:54 AM
I loved the "Aggie Agony" headline, though.

I guess you guys didn't read Sittler's article, huh? He ignored any positive that came out of the game last night, and said that OU's goal should be to get that sixth win to become bowl eligibile. I'm not taking anything for granted, but I thought it was ridiculous to be pushing an angle where we lose out the rest of the season.

This defense can't win. When they're busting and giving up big yardage and points to bad to mediocre offenses, they suck. When they're shutting bad to mediocre offenses down, it's because the offenses are bad to mediocre. :confused:

I read Sittler's article, and it was his typical stuff. He's a dweeb of major proportions.

CtheB
10/23/2006, 10:14 AM
Sure, I would have liked to see the offense be a little more dynamic Saturday, but with road games at Mizzou and A& M coming back to back, I also understand why you might not show your "sans-AD" offense against Colorado.

CU Sooner
10/23/2006, 10:47 AM

Play calling wasn't that bad, it was the dropped passes, now we know why Brody doesn't get many thrown his way, i think he dropped 4 balls. PT should have had 6 or 7 more completions and probably would have set up a few more points if receivers just hold on to the ball. Also, when the wind is blowing 20-30 mph in your face you don't throw the deep outs and ins that you normally do. 24 points with the wind 0 into it, that pretty much sums it up.

jwlynn64
10/23/2006, 12:54 PM
Kevin Wilson said on the radio after the game that the play calling was way more conservative than it should have been even for the wind conditions. In hindsight, they should have passed a little more even against the wind.

crimson&cream
10/23/2006, 11:25 PM
Can't get much more true than that. Number 2 team in 5A, conference 5A-2 leader, and 5A juggernaut, whose only loss comes from a referee jaded 1st week contest at S.E. Williams in Booker T. Not to mention that loss, until Muskogee uncorked a can, was the closest anyone had played the Hornets in all of 6A. 38-35, BTW over my beloved Carl Albert Titans.

Not hardly a write-up at all, even with the anticipated 5A state championship clash of East Central and my Scarlet and Silver. The most we got was a single sentence nod to David Oku. All while minus the BTW out of conference game, outscoring the entire schedule 371-55.

Not a peep out of the World.

That's not a sports page, it's a sh*trag. What they're pushin', I dunno. But it ain't national and in-state sports coverage. Not coverage worth two shakes, at least.
Mon 23rd front page T World--big lOSUr article. No TU no OU in fact OU was on the very back page. What a gay a$$ bunch must all be Brokeback Cowboys!.They lose and TU & OU win but Mon morn newspaper they're front page Sports SEction- AAAAAAAAAAAAmazing!
Don't they get it the truth of the joke about the Cowboys coming out with their own VISA card-& if it's anything like their FB team it'll have the lowest interest in the state.:pop:

Mixer!
10/24/2006, 07:03 AM

I actually heard a young aggot sound off on this Sunday morning at the quickee mart:

"Didja see that the World is STILL covering the gooners' loss to Oregon, and that it wuz their TOP headline?"

The wheels are coming off their wagon, and true to form, they obsess over OU. :rolleyes:

crimson&cream
10/24/2006, 11:02 AM
I actually heard a young aggot sound off on this Sunday morning at the quickee mart:

"Didja see that the World is STILL covering the gooners' loss to Oregon, and that it wuz their TOP headline?"

The wheels are coming off their wagon, and true to form, they obsess over OU. :rolleyes:
Hum! I have Sunday's paper and don't see that anywhere.!

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2006, 12:00 PM
Okay, here's my two cents, again, retread from earlier this month. What we're seeing with Thompson and the coaches' gameplan is the same thing we saw in 1994 - a QB who can run and throw being used only to throw.

It's as stupid in 2006 as it was in 1994. If you're not going to run any option at all, don't sign guys who run and throw. If you're just going to throw, sign more Heupels, Hybls, and Whites.

To me, a QB like Garrick McGee or Paul Thompson should be throwing the ball 15 or so times a game and that's it. This is a guy with alot of ability, but if you only use half of what he can do, what's the point?

I mean, if you're going to use the excuse of "Well, we don't want to get him hurt because we don't trust our backups" then, you're pathetic. You're absolutely in a shell.

Look at what Texas did in 2005. Vince Young couldn't run a full gameplan to save his life. He still can't. He finally convinced Marijuana Mack and Greg Davis that they should just let him do what he can do - even though every time he pulled the ball and ran, he risked injury! And, last year, that injury would have meant a couple of questionable back-ups for Texas.

Our coaches need to seriously stop treating Thompson like he's Heupel, Hybl, and White. Let him throw it around a little and run. If he gets hurt...well, that's football. Throw Halzle or Bradford in there.

This staff used to be so into coaching and playing guys to their full ability. Now, they're so gunshy about injuries, it's sickening. The bottom line is we're 5-2, we've got some tough games down there road, the players need to be turned loose. We're at that point. Quit babying ENA and let him go to work!

Sooner_Bob
10/24/2006, 12:13 PM
I agree with TDTW . . . :D

Pricetag
10/24/2006, 12:18 PM
Our receivers are way too good to only be throwing 15 times a game. They're better in the passing game than Thompson is as a runner, IMO.

OUmillenium
10/24/2006, 12:20 PM
"Tulsa World tool" is very redundant in nature.

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2006, 01:37 PM
Our receivers are way too good to only be throwing 15 times a game. They're better in the passing game than Thompson is as a runner, IMO.

I agree that our receivers are that good; however, they don't have that kind of QB. So, what we have is the coaches trying to force the pass more than Thompson really is capable to doing.

Also, it's got to be wearing on the receivers, no matter how good they are (or should be), to be getting hit so many times in the gut, ribs, and back on Thompson's high passes. I mean, these guys are getting lit up constantly with these high passes. The DBs on opposing teams must be licking their chops to get their free shots in when they watch game film of us.

To me, we're standing on the other side of the fence now, offensive game plan-wise. We thought anyone but Chuck Long was greener grass. Well, it ain't. No matter which coach is sitting up in the booth, the 11 guys down on the field have to execute the game plan together. If they can't, you're going to have problems.

All I'm saying is, the coaches need to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the trigger man of their offense and make the game plan around him. They don't have Heupel, Hybl, or White back there, so they shouldn't game plan like they do.

That may mean we have potentially great receivers go a year without great numbers. So what? Do we want All Big 12 receivers or do we want to win games?

Texas Tech has alot of receivers with great numbers. Ditto Hawaii and New Mexico State. So what are we going to be, a statistical machine on behalf of one group of players or a football team with a game plan every player can consistently contribute to? Tech and Hawaii and New Mexico State may be fun to watch for awhile, but where are their championships and January bowl appearances for all of it?

Game plan for ENA or sit him. The kid has the talent to help with his legs as well as his arm. Let him do it. Quit fackin' around.

Mixer!
10/24/2006, 05:43 PM
Hum! I have Sunday's paper and don't see that anywhere.!
http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/6585/tw102206uu1.jpg

:twinkies:

SoonerTerry
10/25/2006, 06:32 AM
I thought that the coaching staff managed saturdays game better than any game this season. I guess they could have called more pass plays, but over all the game never was in question, and the time of posession was 13 minutes or so in our favor.

.....just my humble opinion.....

oh ya, The Tulsa world is just another biased rag, why even read it.

crimson&cream
10/25/2006, 10:26 AM
http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/6585/tw102206uu1.jpg

:twinkies:
We're talking about the Sport section not THE FRONT page, as very seldon is sports put on the very front page.
However,just like aggies if you ask them to draw a circle they'd go crayz because they don't know where to begin.Geez!:pop: