PDA

View Full Version : We are now 10th............

SOONER44EVER
10/22/2006, 08:22 AM
.................in total defense. After the start we had thats amazing!

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=4

sooner_born_1960
10/22/2006, 08:51 AM
Uh, it says 11th.

Flagstaffsooner
10/22/2006, 08:54 AM
Whats the diff?;)

sooner_born_1960
10/22/2006, 08:55 AM
one.

SOONER44EVER
10/22/2006, 09:02 AM
Uh, it says 11th.
I was just seeing if anyone would bother to look. :D

Sco
10/22/2006, 09:18 AM
That's really shocking.

birddog
10/22/2006, 09:23 AM
That's really shocking.

it is considering we gave up 500 + yds. at oregon and a pant load of yards at home to uw.

we definitely have shut down the long plays for the most part. that's what was killing us.

1991SOONER
10/22/2006, 09:34 AM
That is awesome!!

Funny thing about it, aggies and sips think the big 12 south will come down to them. They've already written OU off after Adrian was injured. :rolleyes:

Just think this defense is still very young. What are they going to be like for the next 2 years:eek:

And Texas is losing alot of starters on defense next year. Ought to be interesting...:pop:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/22/2006, 10:42 AM
That is awesome!!

Funny thing about it, aggies and sips think the big 12 south will come down to them. They've already written OU off after Adrian was injured. :rolleyes:

Just think this defense is still very young. What are they going to be like for the next 2 years:eek:

And Texas is losing alot of starters on defense next year. Ought to be interesting...:pop:May not make any difference if we can't recruit some good officials.

tulsaoilerfan
10/22/2006, 10:50 AM
May not make any difference if we can't recruit some good officials.
Or QB's.

tulsaoilerfan
10/22/2006, 10:52 AM
.................in total defense. After the start we had thats amazing!

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=4
If we are still 10th(or 11th, whichever it is) after the game at Mizzou, then i will be happy; next week's game will tell us for sure if the defense is better, or the offenses we have been facing have been terrible.

MiccoMacey
10/22/2006, 11:11 AM
I'll go one step further...it won't matter what we're ranked until all games are played. We'll continue to have peaks and valleys depending on who we play, so we'll continue to bounce up and down depending on the strength of our opponent.

But I'm happy with where our derfense is right now.

Bccajun
10/22/2006, 11:12 AM
Just look at what we lost in :( Bo Pelini. He has his new team ranked #1.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=28715&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=175222&Q_SEASON=2006

BC

stoopified
10/22/2006, 11:32 AM
Finally starting to play up to our potential.

BIG_IKE
10/22/2006, 11:43 AM
That is awesome!!

And Texas is losing alot of starters on defense next year. Ought to be interesting...:pop:

Texas isnt losing any more people than we are on defense. They are gonna get hit hard in the secondary, but they dont lose a single linebacker and will return a solid D-Line.

Our secondary might be young....but we lose ALOT of talent in the front 7.

OUster
10/22/2006, 01:22 PM
Texas isnt losing any more people than we are on defense. They are gonna get hit hard in the secondary, but they dont lose a single linebacker and will return a solid D-Line.

Our secondary might be young....but we lose ALOT of talent in the front 7.

True, but I think what we have wating in the wings to replace the front line, may be a little better than what Texas has to replace their secondary.

I think we still need a QB after PT graduates to exploit it, though. Hopefully, someone will step up.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/22/2006, 01:57 PM
I think we still need a QB after PT graduates to exploit it, though. Hopefully, someone will step up.

I don't get it.

From what I saw in the spring scrimmage, with an obviously extremely limited grasp of the system, I thought Halzle looked crisp on his reads, looked poised in the 7 on 7s AND full intersquad, and threw a pretty dang accurate football. Now I understand the premise that he was brought in as a back-up, but why are we writing off an experienced JuCo QB that from what all I've seen (which is little, but seen nonetheless) is a very serviceable quarterback. Good enough for a national championship? That remains to be seen.

But to write the kid off like he's not even there...

That's crap. He can do the job and do it well, especially after this season of him in the system. Not to mention buying Stoops and Co. that extra year to hit the streets and nail that next big thing while Bradford does the clipboard boogie under Halzle next season. I'm not seeing that as a bad thing.

At all.

Unless I missed something somewhere.

OUster
10/22/2006, 03:47 PM
I don't get it.

From what I saw in the spring scrimmage, with an obviously extremely limited grasp of the system, I thought Halzle looked crisp on his reads, looked poised in the 7 on 7s AND full intersquad, and threw a pretty dang accurate football. Now I understand the premise that he was brought in as a back-up, but why are we writing off an experienced JuCo QB that from what all I've seen (which is little, but seen nonetheless) is a very serviceable quarterback. Good enough for a national championship? That remains to be seen.

But to write the kid off like he's not even there...

That's crap. He can do the job and do it well, especially after this season of him in the system. Not to mention buying Stoops and Co. that extra year to hit the streets and nail that next big thing while Bradford does the clipboard boogie under Halzle next season. I'm not seeing that as a bad thing.

At all.

Unless I missed something somewhere.

I think you read too much into my post. The point was to write Halze off. The one line sentence indicated after PT leaves "someone has to step up". I don't care if it Halze or Bradford or some new recruit. Someone has to do it. No one other than PT has done it in a game situation. Waiting to see the back-ups game play and hoping a solid QB comes on is different from writing anyone off. I hope one of our QB's for next year comes in a plays to the caliber of the supporting staff he will have around him. I think we will actually be pretty damn good team next year.

TXBOOMER
10/22/2006, 03:53 PM
I see all of the activity in looking for a JUCO QB as a vote of no confidence for Halzle. Stoops said repeatedly during spring and fall ball he needs to improve his arm strength. We shall see. I hope he turns out to be the second coming of Josh but I don't think so.

Sooner98
10/22/2006, 05:05 PM
First 3 games, our D gave up 400 YPG.

Last 4 games, our D has given up 165 YPG.

And they haven't exactly been horrible offenses, either (Texas, Iowa St., etc.)

goingoneight
10/22/2006, 05:35 PM
nevermind...
:D

goingoneight
10/22/2006, 05:39 PM

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=28715&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=175222&Q_SEASON=2006

BC

BC

[arrogant crimson shaded sooner fan] no way, was he that important, I mean, look... he came from Nebbish, no way can he be a OU-caliber defensive coach. We'll win more games without him than we did with him per season... :mad: [/arrogant crimson shaded sooner fan]

Bccajun
10/23/2006, 09:23 PM
[arrogant crimson shaded sooner fan] no way, was he that important, I mean, look... he came from Nebbish, no way can he be a OU-caliber defensive coach. We'll win more games without him than we did with him per season... :mad: [/arrogant crimson shaded sooner fan]

I see the sports pages here in south LA. His team has not played like our team has. arrogant you say. you know nothing about me to say such. no need to get personal with me. You know nothing about what kind of Sooner fan I am!

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 09:27 PM

I wish I knew the real reason for those odd statistics...

Hornicus
10/23/2006, 10:03 PM
What are you bozos smoking !? You've got no Qb, average RBs, weak lines, no more ROOOFUS, and all the talent headin' south. Look at the facts since the brother went to AZ.....your gonna be 7-4 again this year and next year.....and that will be three in a row.....Game Day Bob is desperate on recruiting and hoping the jucos can save him before he heads to the NFL next year.
You were 97th in defense before Iowa State and Colorado....

What exactly is your record th:texan: e last couple of years versus top 15 teams 1-5?

LATER SOONIES

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the objective analysis Hornipus....

Hornicus
10/23/2006, 10:14 PM
Your most beautiful to me sooner great. Sometimes watching Mack the clapper can be painful.

GADOCADWI.

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:17 PM
FYI, trolls don't last long here...especially obnixious one's...

Rhino
10/23/2006, 10:36 PM
Hornicus sounds like NickZepp.

Hornicus
10/23/2006, 10:38 PM
I am NickZepp

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:40 PM
Which means pure troll...

Dio
10/24/2006, 10:20 AM
Uh, it says 11th.

Well, that's one louder, isn't it?

boomersooner177
10/24/2006, 01:34 PM
that's what happens when we play colorado in a cold day

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/24/2006, 03:28 PM
What are you bozos smoking !? You've got no Qb, average RBs, weak lines, no more ROOOFUS, and all the talent headin' south. Look at the facts since the brother went to AZ.....your gonna be 7-4 again this year and next year.....and that will be three in a row.....Game Day Bob is desperate on recruiting and hoping the jucos can save him before he heads to the NFL next year.

What exactly is your record th:texan: e last couple of years versus top 15 teams 1-5?

LATER SOONIES

NZ is in da house.

"I see your ante, and I fold"

Nick Zepp

noobalicious
10/24/2006, 03:44 PM
What are you bozos smoking !? You've got no Qb, average RBs, weak lines, no more ROOOFUS

I like how he addressed the topic of this thread which was about our defense. lol

And what in the world do you mean my no more Rufus? Pull your head out of your *** he had 11 tackles against Colorado you idiot, he's still playing. If you mean we won't have him next year then you're right...it's a thing called graduation, something you've probably never heard of.

Paul Thompson has been solid and mistake free lately and is the 30th best QB in D1 based on passer efficiency. The only reason Frankie Muniz has such inflated stats is because he rarely throws it deeper than 5 yards and I'd say about 60% of his passes are on WR screens. I could complete those and let my WRs do all the work too.

And Allen Patrick was the first RB this year to put up 100 yards on Colorado. Sure he's not AD but neither is anyone else in pads so who cares. He's a good running back who will look more average than he actually is because he's replacing the best player in college football.

But you know other than all that...sound analysis. :rolleyes:

caphorns
10/24/2006, 04:19 PM

So somebody give me the cliff notes on why this turnaround has happened? Clearly your D is better than it was at the start of the season.

Boomer.....
10/24/2006, 04:24 PM
So somebody give me the cliff notes on why this turnaround has happened? Clearly your D is better than it was at the start of the season.
They whipped their @sses into shape!

n8v_ndn
10/24/2006, 04:28 PM

The theories being shoveled around the ether:

- More 1st O vs. 1st D in practice, something about working against scouts develops lazy habits...

- Emphasis on fundamentals--defensive positioning, focus on doing your job and your job only, rather than trying to do more because you sense the Defense needs it from you...

- The Boomer and Sooner puppet mascots getting meaner faces, and the OU Defense not noticing until just a few weeks ago...

caphorns
10/25/2006, 10:35 AM
The theories being shoveled around the ether:

- More 1st O vs. 1st D in practice, something about working against scouts develops lazy habits...

- Emphasis on fundamentals--defensive positioning, focus on doing your job and your job only, rather than trying to do more because you sense the Defense needs it from you...

- The Boomer and Sooner puppet mascots getting meaner faces, and the OU Defense not noticing until just a few weeks ago...

I did hear Stoops gave them the old "This is a football" approach - going back to fundamentals. Seems to have worked pretty well. Or maybe you make a good point about the puppets.

BIG_IKE
10/25/2006, 10:56 AM

LATER SOONIES

Why didn't your father pull out early? :confused:

NormanPride
10/25/2006, 11:18 AM
It all starts up front. Carl Pendleton made a play against Iowa State, and that was the moment I felt secure in the defense again. If you look at the early games, the DL was getting blown off the ball pretty bad. Either pushed back or peeled out of the way. Not so much any more. The coaches have coached them to do something different, be it just hit the gap and damn the consequences, or refining the footwork so that our guys are better positioned. Either way, the LBs aren't getting DTs on them anymore, and they're hitting the crap out of people again. Amazing how that works. :D

BIG_IKE
10/25/2006, 11:43 AM
You hav that coupled with the fact that the offense we have faced are as follows...

UAB #43
Washington #86
Oregon #4
.Middle Tennesee #105
Texas #27
Iowa State #82
Colorado #110

Aside from Texas (who had a short field against us due to special teams) the last few offenses we have played have not been good. It's a combination of our defense improving and playing crappy offenses.

We will know alot more in the next 2 weeks for sure. Another thing to consider is the time of possession. The last few teams have only ran between 40-50 plays on us.

In our first three games, UAB ran 57 plays while Washington and Oregon ran a whopping 70 and 74 plays on us.

Also, we have had a steady decrease in passing yardage by our offense, which may also suggest we are holding onto the bal, running and killing clock alot longer too.

Middle Tennessee 272
Texas 209
Iowa State 195
Colorado 105

notice a trend there?

NormanPride
10/25/2006, 12:06 PM
The passing offense thing is a bit misleading, I think. Texas had a really good D, MTSU was awful, and ISU Paul had a terrible second half. It wasn't that we didn't throw, it was that the passing game was awful the second half. Colorado was because the wind was so freaking wicked.

I don't care how bad the offenses we've played are, the D has really hit its assignments well these past few weeks.

BIG_IKE
10/25/2006, 12:12 PM
The passing offense thing is a bit misleading, I think. Texas had a really good D, MTSU was awful, and ISU Paul had a terrible second half. It wasn't that we didn't throw, it was that the passing game was awful the second half. Colorado was because the wind was so freaking wicked.

I don't care how bad the offenses we've played are, the D has really hit its assignments well these past few weeks.

They definently look alot more focused. And I have not heard DJ wolfe's name in a while. All we need now is a little more tenacity.

MiccoMacey
10/25/2006, 12:15 PM
I don't think most people are being fair.

Most/every team rated in the top 20 in the first three to four weeks of college football played a patsy of an offense or two. That's one of the reasons those teams were there..they've played a few cupcakes early.

We didn't. Oregon and Washington are two pretty good offenses. Which made us look not as good.

Why is it that when we start playing relatively easier teams like Colorado and ISU, and we have success, it's because we are playing weak teams, and not that we're improving, while teams that play cupcakes early and then start to drop some are still considered elite defenses?

I think if you look at the whole body of work, from week one until now, every team has played some weak teams and every team has played some tough teams. So looking at the stats this week are much more telling than the stats from, say, four weeks ago.

I say we're doing much better, AND our level of competition decreased.

proudsoonergal
10/25/2006, 02:21 PM
You hav that coupled with the fact that the offense we have faced are as follows...

UAB #43
Washington #86
Oregon #4
.Middle Tennesee #105
Texas #27
Iowa State #82
Colorado #110

Aside from Texas (who had a short field against us due to special teams) the last few offenses we have played have not been good. It's a combination of our defense improving and playing crappy offenses.

Isn't one reason that UAB, UW, and Oregon have higher ratings because OU gave up more yards on them? Likewise, Mid Tenn, Tex, ISU, and CU have lower ratings (averaged) because we lowered their offensive output? The whole ratings/yardage thing is like the chicken/egg argument.

That being said, I think our D has looked better in the last month.