PDA

View Full Version : Hey, people that go to the games

tbl
10/21/2006, 10:01 PM
Do a favor for those of us that can't...

STAY UNTIL IT'S OVER!!!

That looked pathetic on TV. In the first couple of minutes of the 4th qtr, there were TONS of empty seats all over the place. I honestly don't get it...

birddog
10/21/2006, 10:02 PM
here we go.

can o' worms.

;)

goingoneight
10/21/2006, 10:03 PM
Maybe leaving the Texas game early was wrong, but dude, that game was f****** cold, and we did kinda OWN them. All people who left included, I still think that's the biggest crowd CU's seen all year...

batonrougesooner
10/21/2006, 10:03 PM
What you saw was the student section.

They were just getting their drunk on.

Tune to ESPN2 right now. These are some empty stands!

It isn't even raining in Baton Rouge.

That is pathetic.

The Maestro
10/21/2006, 10:05 PM
It was lame and I agree. I am 35 and when I get the chance to get back to OK I weasle my way into the student section. If you idiots cannot figure out how to get a flask into the student section...GET BETTER!!! It looked like an ASU crowd in the 4th quarter. OU home crowds, I will always contend...minus the 2000 Nebraska game...are completely overrated. OU road crowds are MUCH better!

Sooner_Havok
10/21/2006, 10:16 PM
It was cold, no ****! Did those who left early because they were cold not watch a weather report? Dress appropriately or don't complain. Who went to that game not knowing it was going to be cold?

SoonerObsession
10/21/2006, 10:17 PM
PM me if you don't want your Tech tickets. I can't afford to buy them, but you better believe I would show up and stay till the last tick of the clock.

BASSooner
10/21/2006, 10:19 PM
I stayed the whooole game today..the weather was still killin me though.

goingoneight
10/21/2006, 10:20 PM
And I'm sure even the best of fans would stay in place with that kind of a lead in those temperatures. Look, I wasn't there, but I went to the 2000 BIG 12 Title game, and let me tell you, close game, electric atmosphere, but everyone there had it in the back of their minds, "come on hurry up and win this..." The game wasn't at all favoring CU... Personally, I would have left only a minute or so early, given the game was put away, which it was. Now, folks who leave after like, a kick return for a TD to start the second half, now that's rediculous...

SoonerStud615
10/21/2006, 10:46 PM
I stayed until 0:00, but can really understand why people left. I was in the south endzone with the brutal north wind in my face and it was tough to endure, but i havent left a game early since the '03 Big XII Championship.

OUstud
10/21/2006, 11:09 PM
The game taught me that my jeans are not wind resistant in any way, shape, or form. Guess it didn't help that my entire row for sections was empty so nothing was blocking it.

silverwheels
10/21/2006, 11:12 PM
It was pretty damn cold. I showed up wearing just two shirts, because the temps I could handle, but that wind was evil, so I had to buy a hoodie at halftime. Didn't matter, though. I stayed until the clock read 0:00.

birddog
10/21/2006, 11:15 PM
PM me if you don't want your Tech tickets. I can't afford to buy them, but you better believe I would show up and stay till the last tick of the clock.

that could be the greatest avatar i've ever seen. is it supposed to move like a .gif?

Soonerus
10/21/2006, 11:15 PM
I stayed until the end but given the nature of the game and the real wind chill, I don't fault those who left...It was a game similar to the Cotton Bowl game against Arkansas, you felt like Colorado might play a week or two before they ever scored a touchdown...

NUSooner
10/21/2006, 11:22 PM
I stayed until the final touchdown, but I can't blame those who left...the thought crossed my mind and I'm as "stay until it's over" as it gets. Student section always looks worse as far as "filled in" goes because general admission just moves all of the people in the last section over as people start leaving. In reality, lots of people left all over the place.

Sooner98
10/21/2006, 11:30 PM
I'll admit, I was completely unaware today exactly how cold it was going to get. I'll never make that mistake again - I was way under-dressed (sweatshirt and jeans). I lasted until we went up 17-0, then I just couldn't take it anymore. Soonerus nailed it with the Arkansas game analogy, it was a very boring game with our vanilla offense, and Colorado's complete lack of offense. I guarantee that every elite team's stadiums would have been the same way at that point, in that type of game, under those conditions.

Ash
10/21/2006, 11:36 PM

I second this motion. Plus, I'll provide parking for a select number of coming-alongers.

OUstud
10/21/2006, 11:42 PM
I was impressed with how big the crowd was though, considering AD was out, CU was bad, it was cold, etc...

Snrfn4ever08
10/21/2006, 11:45 PM
I was impressed with how big the crowd was though, considering AD was out, CU was bad, it was cold, etc...
On the way to the game, there was hardly any traffic to speak of coming down sooner, and this was about 2 hours before kickoff. That's very rare. I didn't think the stadium would fill up at all. It looked empty up until kickoff

Soonerus
10/21/2006, 11:48 PM
I stayed until the final touchdown, but I can't blame those who left...the thought crossed my mind and I'm as "stay until it's over" as it gets. Student section always looks worse as far as "filled in" goes because general admission just moves all of the people in the last section over as people start leaving. In reality, lots of people left all over the place.

I think the student section seats about 8 people for every three seats near the fifty giving the appearance some students didn't show up...the students do a good job but they bailed out after halftime like it was O'Connell's last weekend though....

silverwheels
10/21/2006, 11:49 PM
I didn't think the stadium would fill up at all. It looked empty up until kickoff

That's because everyone was in line for hot chocolate...

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2006, 11:58 PM
Weenies, its colder in my living room now than it was at the game. And talk about wind...I ate tacos earlier.:D

Soonerus
10/22/2006, 12:06 AM
It has not really been cold in Oklahoma yet this year but it was tonight....

mdklatt
10/22/2006, 12:18 AM
I should have dressed warmer, but then I probably would have died walking to the tailgate at 2:30. After being outside in the cold for six hours I decided I should start heading home while I could still feel my feet, considering I had two miles to walk.

jdsooner
10/22/2006, 02:11 AM
I left with about 6 minutes remaining. I wasn't cold, but my wife was and the game was over. We beat the traffic and went to the Cheesecake Factory. If you don't like it, TOUGH!

blackbeauty02
10/22/2006, 02:49 AM
It was lame and I agree. I am 35 and when I get the chance to get back to OK I weasle my way into the student section. If you idiots cannot figure out how to get a flask into the student section...GET BETTER!!! It looked like an ASU crowd in the 4th quarter. OU home crowds, I will always contend...minus the 2000 Nebraska game...are completely overrated. OU road crowds are MUCH better!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I am a student and I snuck two flasks and 4 bud lights in (I think it's a new record maybe?). I dressed appropriately and never got cold. I, as a student, was ****ed when I came back from even half time from getting my corn dog and the student section was half empty. **** that! Stay until the fourth quarter is over!

OU Adonis
10/22/2006, 06:33 AM
Its not football weather until your nuts suck up inside your body.

Dio
10/22/2006, 07:11 AM
I stuck it out at the '03 CCG 'til the bitter end- on the front row of the K-State section, no less- I wasn't leaving early last night.

achiro
10/22/2006, 08:13 AM
Me and my son stayed til the end. He's 6 and never complained. Like others have said the game was pretty boring and it was cold but it looked like a mass exodus at halftime, thats lame. I will say this, the last 3 minutes of the game where the longest in history! co timeouts, measuring for the first down, tv timeout. Holy cow!:D

jk the sooner fan
10/22/2006, 08:22 AM
we left with just under 3 minutes....i had to drive the boy back to his house on the far north side of OKC, and then turn south and drive back to Dallas.....got in at 2am

there were lots of people leaving WAYY before that....peeps were just really cold

Touchdown_Oklahoma
10/22/2006, 11:09 AM
stayed until the end. of course i didn't crack open the other pint of captain morgan until the 4th quarter.

Jdog
10/22/2006, 12:28 PM
Do a favor for those of us that can't...

STAY UNTIL IT'S OVER!!!

That looked pathetic on TV. In the first couple of minutes of the 4th qtr, there were TONS of empty seats all over the place. I honestly don't get it...

If you have a problem with it then why don't you come to the games and fill a seat. If you live too far away than try talking your local friends and family into going. Last night they could've bought the best seat in the house for less than $10 --- Other tickets were being given away. We drive 3 hours to every home game - and yes we left at the beginning of the 4th because it was cold and I wanted to get home before midnight.
Get involved - be the solution.

Flagstaffsooner
10/22/2006, 12:31 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. I am a student and I snuck two flasks and 4 bud lights in (I think it's a new record maybe?)Nope, 12 pack and 2 pints.

BajaOklahoma
10/22/2006, 01:01 PM
For just a couple of bucks, you can buy the plastic drop cloths used for painting. They make a great wind block.
We used to keep some in our car for times we had to go watch the kids play sports in inclement weather.

Geez, it's Oklahoma. How could you not be prepared for the wind?

Kels
10/22/2006, 01:28 PM
I haven't been that cold in a long time. My body hasn't acclimated to the cold yet this season. In another month or so, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

The wind gusts for those of us sitting in the East Side upper deck were brutal. When the men's bathroom is full of guys at halftime just standing around talking, you know it's cold.

I stayed until the last touchdown, but I didn't see the extra point. I guess that makes me a bad fan. I used to care more about people leaving early and all that, but what's the point? Everyone is going to do what they want, and complaining about it on a message board isn't going to change anything.

Oh, and the guys that I tailgate with and sit next to at the games fly in from Kansas City and Minneapolis every week. The guy from Kansas City, my old college roommate, always makes it back home by Sunday morning because he teaches Sunday School. Instead of griping, make your donation, buy the tix, and either drive or fly to the games. Then you can decide if you want to leave early or not.

Rhino
10/22/2006, 01:30 PM
What you saw was the student section. Incorrect. What you saw was every section.

It was damn cold. I don't blame anyone for leaving early...especially if you got to a tailgate at noon when it was in the 70s, predicted to be in the mid-60s by gametime and weren't prepared for a below freezing wind chill. (ie. me and the five people I went with)

jk the sooner fan
10/22/2006, 02:44 PM
Incorrect. What you saw was every section.

It was damn cold.

hell yeah, the upper donor sections on the east side was empty wayyyy before the students started leaving

i left dallas in the morning and was comfy in a short sleeve tshirt....when i got out of the car to pick up JK3......i couldnt believe the temp change...and that was at 1pm......by kickoff it was alot nastier than the forecast had called for

Boarder
10/22/2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I DID watch the forecast but...big surprise...it was wrong as usual. I was freaking cold but stayed outside the whole game except for halftime. I luckily brought a super heavy coat that I didn't think I'd need (I did!). Mrs SB stayed inside right behind our seats the whole game.

I don't blame anyone for leaving in the 4th quarter. All they did was run off tackle the whole second half and it got freaking boring. OU wanted to run the clock out, too.

If it was close there would have been more people stay.

GottaHavePride
10/22/2006, 02:56 PM
1. It was effin' cold.

2. Sneaking booze into the game does not make you warmer. It actually thins your bloodstream and opens all your capillaries, meaning you lose heat to the environment FASTER, chilling you even more.

Side rant - why is it impossible to have fun WITHOUT booze? I might have a beer or two before the game, but I don't need to be sloshed to enjoy a football game. I just need a football game to be able to enjoy a football game.

Boarder
10/22/2006, 02:58 PM
Side rant - why is it impossible to have fun WITHOUT booze? I might have a beer or two before the game, but I don't need to be sloshed to enjoy a football game. I just need a football game to be able to enjoy a football game.

I have little to no memory of some really good games from being too drunk. Thankfully I grew up and out of that stupidity phase.

yermom
10/22/2006, 03:01 PM
i thought :dolemite: was going to cry ;)

if i can watch us lose in KC in THAT cold, this was nothing to watch us win :D

i went down at halftime and it was packed with people not in line for the john or food, just down there hiding from the wind.

one of the game recaps i saw said 40 degree wind chill, pretty rough when you aren't expecting it, i was figuring it was somewhere in the upper 30's from how cold i was

glad i brought a beanie and gloves :D

jk the sooner fan
10/22/2006, 03:08 PM
i think most could have handled the cold, i just dont think most came prepared for how bad it was

Boarder
10/22/2006, 03:08 PM
At KC I had better pants, more shirts, bigger gloves and was ready for it. Had I been dressed the same here it would have been nothing.

BY THE WAY......I HOPE EVERY ONE OF YOU FREAKING MORON STUPID IDIOTIC POOPHEADS WHO ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT LET GO OF THE FACT IT'S NO LONGER SUMMER AND HAVE TO WEAR SHORTS GOT FROSTBITE! PUT ON SOME PANTS! PANTS NOW! DON'T WEAR A COAT AND SHORTS! PUT ON PANTS! PANTS I SAY!

that really bugs me if you couldn't tell.

sanantoniosooner
10/22/2006, 03:12 PM
Short temper.

yermom
10/22/2006, 03:14 PM
yeah, it was a bit unexpected, i was still wearing like half of what i was in KC and i was not near as cold this time

but jeans were a bit overmatched last night

i need to start figuring out what to bring to the Mizzou game, i wonder how bad it will be there

GottaHavePride
10/22/2006, 03:15 PM
UnderArmour ColdGear. YWIA.

GottaHavePride
10/22/2006, 03:21 PM
At KC I had better pants, more shirts, bigger gloves and was ready for it. Had I been dressed the same here it would have been nothing.

BY THE WAY......I HOPE EVERY ONE OF YOU FREAKING MORON STUPID IDIOTIC POOPHEADS WHO ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT LET GO OF THE FACT IT'S NO LONGER SUMMER AND HAVE TO WEAR SHORTS GOT FROSTBITE! PUT ON SOME PANTS! PANTS NOW! DON'T WEAR A COAT AND SHORTS! PUT ON PANTS! PANTS I SAY!

that really bugs me if you couldn't tell.

http://arts.net4free.org/dlazechk0/ch900806.jpg

tbl
10/22/2006, 03:24 PM
I went to the Iowa State game in 02 (whatever game it was we shut down the Heisman hopeful), and not only was it cold & windy, it was raining too. Cold, nasty rain. I stayed till the last second, and it was a shutout. Maybe that's just me...

I understand if we're talking the last couple of minutes, but the shot I saw was towards the beginning of the 4th quarter.

yermom
10/22/2006, 03:30 PM
we did kill ISU and dash Seneca Wallace's Heisman hopes, but it wasn't a shutout (close though)

it wasn't nearly as cold that day though

(we were also still in NC contention at that point, possibly ranked #1)

EDIT: ok, #2

noobalicious
10/22/2006, 03:37 PM
I think some of you need to let go of this whole issue. If the thing that really gets under your skin is people leaving a football game early then you've clearly lost your perspective.

Where's the picture of the dead horse getting beaten?

tbl
10/22/2006, 03:39 PM
we did kill ISU and dash Seneca Wallace's Heisman hopes, but it wasn't a shutout (close though)

it wasn't nearly as cold that day though

(we were also still in NC contention at that point, possibly ranked #1)

EDIT: ok, #2
Sorry, it wasn't literally a shutout, but the game was over at the half, there's no doubt about that.

There is no way possible the weather last night was worse than that game. Even if it wasn't as cold (which I still question), the added rain element trumps everything. You can put on more coats for the cold, but the cold rain straight up sucked.

So I'm assuming since you point out that we were still in NC contention for 02 Iowa State that the fair weather fans were willing to stay for that one and not last night? It looks as though that term has real world meaning nad not just figurative. ;)

yermom
10/22/2006, 03:43 PM
it was a lot easier to stay for that game than last night's game... we were trying to see if we could keep someone down to 0 passing yards and negative total yards :D

the recap is pretty funny, that first half was brutal:

http://soonerstats.com/fb/games/recap.cfm?GameID=1053

sadly they didn't mention the rain or temps :D

yermom
10/22/2006, 03:44 PM
of course, i don't leave early, the new rules make the game too short as it is ;)

Sooner24
10/22/2006, 04:06 PM
Most Oklahomans are wussies. Last night wasn't even close to being cold. Cold is in the mid 30's on down and a major wind chill. I hear people here in Ardmore gripe when it's in the low 50's because it's so cold. :rolleyes:

BTW stayed for the whole game last night just as I did in KC 2000, Norman at the 1993 K-State game just as I did at Nebraska in 1982 when the high for the day was 24 with a 25 mph wind.

Big babies.

mrowl
10/22/2006, 04:06 PM
I didn't leave early, but the weatherman lied his *** off Friday night.

No where on newsok.com did it say freeze your *** off wind.

damn you jokelahoman.

proud gonzo
10/22/2006, 04:12 PM
yeah, it's totally my duty to stay at a game and get frickin hypothermia just so you don't have to see a pathetically empty stadium on tv. maybe you don't get it because your a5s was at home instead of in the stadium. jesus christ.

Newbomb Turk
10/22/2006, 04:21 PM
Cold is in the mid 30's on down and a major wind chill.

Being from South Dakota, I'd argue that -20 with a 20mph wind is cold. That is also one of the reasons I no longer live there.

Boarder
10/22/2006, 04:21 PM
Most Oklahomans are wussies. Last night wasn't even close to being cold. Cold is in the mid 30's on down and a major wind chill. I hear people here in Ardmore gripe when it's in the low 50's because it's so cold. :rolleyes:

BTW stayed for the whole game last night just as I did in KC 2000, Norman at the 1993 K-State game just as I did at Nebraska in 1982 when the high for the day was 24 with a 25 mph wind.

Big babies.
Let me guess, you used to walk to school barefoot in the dead of winter 20 miles uphill each way and eat dirt for breakfast. And you liked it!

It is a bit ironic that someone at home is griping about people attending the game and leaving early.

bluedogok
10/22/2006, 04:31 PM
I hate the new aluminum seats, they remind me of the ones in Stoolwater or any number of high school stadiums. They are cold and never warm up like the old fiberglass covered wood benches that used to be there.

I know we will pack cold weather gear when we come up there for the Tech game, I have seen too many of those warm day, cold night games and even some warm morning, cold day games.

It was nice the day of the Ice Bowl in Stoolwater......

Sooner24
10/22/2006, 04:49 PM
Let me guess, you used to walk to school barefoot in the dead of winter 20 miles uphill each way and eat dirt for breakfast. And you liked it!

It is a bit ironic that someone at home is griping about people attending the game and leaving early.

No it was dirt for lunch. We were so poor we never ate breakfast. :(

;)

Sooner24
10/22/2006, 04:56 PM
Being from South Dakota, I'd argue that -20 with a 20mph wind is cold. That is also one of the reasons I no longer live there.

I have spent many weeks in Ohio in Jan and Feb and have encountered similar weather. Most people in Oklahoma don't even know what cold is. :hot:

OUTrumpet
10/22/2006, 05:24 PM
I think the student section seats about 8 people for every three seats near the fifty giving the appearance some students didn't show up...the students do a good job but they bailed out after halftime like it was O'Connell's last weekend though....

Student side wasn't as bad as press box side. Granted, it was bad, but the west side (the upper deck was almost completely empty) was awful too. Don't just blame the students.

Best people that stayed seemed to be the North end zone. South was pretty bad, but they had the wind.

Football season comes once a year. I have no idea why some people are like "I can't wait till football season" then once it gets here leave at halftime/3rd quarter and be like "I wanted to beat the traffic/get drunk/be lame, etc"

Sooner24
10/22/2006, 05:36 PM
Student side wasn't as bad as press box side. Granted, it was bad, but the west side (the upper deck was almost completely empty) was awful too. Don't just blame the students.

Best people that stayed seemed to be the North end zone. South was pretty bad, but they had the wind.

Football season comes once a year. I have no idea why some people are like "I can't wait till football season" then once it gets here leave at halftime/3rd quarter and be like "I wanted to beat the traffic/get drunk/be lame, etc"

NEZ pwns the Fock!!!

Rhino
10/22/2006, 06:19 PM
I'M TOUGHER THAN YOU BECAUSE I STAYED THE WHOLE GAME IN THE COLD!!

BOW BEFORE MY FOOTBALL WATCHING PROWESS!!

RAWR!!

StoopTroup
10/22/2006, 06:23 PM

RAWR!!

I cuddled with my Wife.

We later cuddled some more after TURNING THE FURNACE ON AT OUR HOUSE! :D

Big Red Ron
10/22/2006, 07:19 PM
Here's to you Mr. stay at home and bitch about people that actually go to the game guy.

Mr. stay at home and bitch about people that actually go to the gaaaame Guuuy.

You could have gotten off of your lazy azz and supported your team in the cold. But you knew better.

westcoast_sooner
10/22/2006, 07:36 PM
OK - I'll weigh in. I live in California and spend many an evening sitting watching the SF Giants. Now for those of you who have never been to the beautiful (but somewhat crazy) city of San Francisco, a typical night baseball game in JULY is usually in the high 40s or low 50s for the first pitch.

In short, we know to take a jacket, and wear what we need to wear in order to stay warm. Sometimes that means blankets, sweatshirts under the jackets, and some even wear parkas, if they are from some warm weather climate.

We stay until the last pitch. Win or lose.

If I had tickets to last night's game, I would have stayed until the clock said 0:00. Cold or hot. Rain or shine. Stay until the game is over. The fact that the stands were half empty before the game was over made me mad, made it look like a Dodgers game in the 7th.

Rhino
10/22/2006, 07:39 PM

RAWR!!

jk the sooner fan
10/22/2006, 07:47 PM
nobody has EVER left a Giants game before the end......EVER!!!!!!:rolleyes:

westcoast_sooner
10/22/2006, 08:11 PM
Look, all I'm saying is that in this day and age, when we have Internet weather, weather channels on TV, weather reports in between stuff about the Sooners on the radio, old age arthiritcs that felt an achy knee every time it's fixin' to have a cold front move through, there had to be some way for the vast majority of fans to bring a coat, hat, blanket, whatever to the game last night.

We expect the players to play for 60 minutes, the least the fans can do is be there to support them for the ENTIRE game.

Boarder
10/22/2006, 08:28 PM
Listen, they said on the news the night before that a cold front was coming through. It would be in the 50's with some wind. No problem. they failed to mention that it would be a massively hard blowing wind and it would feel very cold.

Which is strange since they tell us a week in advance if there's a .0000000001% chance of a clap of thunder.

I did bring a heavy coat but i seriously thought I'd be holding it the whole night. I did watch the weather and they just didn't say how it was going to be.

Say you had no idea how it would be and showed up to said Giants game? What would you do then?

And really, in the end who cares? If people want to leave, fine. If you aren't there you can't say anything.

If you want t gripe, gripe about the band (and now some students) doing the stupid aggy arm waving crap.

jk the sooner fan
10/22/2006, 09:08 PM
i checked the daily oklahoman online before i left Dallas and it said it would be in the 50's to 60's.....sometimes weatherman are wrong, even in this day and age of internet weather

Sooner24
10/22/2006, 09:23 PM

RAWR!!

Good for you tough guy. :P

BigDeezy
10/22/2006, 10:25 PM
I was totally unprepared for the weather. I had heard the weather report that it would be in the low to mid 50's, so I just brought a hooded sweatshirt over my short-sleeved polo. My God, I just about froze to death. Now I was at KC in the upper deck for the Big 12 game that was seriously cold, but I was prepared for that. I felt colder at yesterday's game than I have in a long, long time! By the way, I stayed for the whole game, but I sure understand why some may have left early. Don't criticize until you know what they may be experiencing.

colleyvillesooner
10/22/2006, 10:29 PM
I was totally unprepared for the weather. I had heard the weather report that it would be in the low to mid 50's, so I just brought a hooded sweatshirt over my short-sleeved polo. My God, I just about froze to death. Now I was at KC in the upper deck for the Big 12 game that was seriously cold, but I was prepared for that. I felt colder at yesterday's game than I have in a long, long time! By the way, I stayed for the whole game, but I sure understand why some may have left early. Don't criticize until you know what they may be experiencing.

Ditto to this and Boarders post. It was colder and felt colder than any weather report I saw. We left with 3 mins left cause the little ones we took to their first ever game were freezing. And they were bundled up.

I felt bad for the people in the east upper deck. It was damn near empty in the second half and the flags up there never stopped ripping.

proud gonzo
10/22/2006, 10:44 PM
no joke

boomer214
10/23/2006, 10:13 AM
ice bowl = cold

everything else = not as bad

flopshotjoe99
10/23/2006, 11:48 AM
guilty of leaving early in the 4th, but oh well. Checked the weather several times before leaving Dallas & no forecast mentioned what we experienced.

jwlynn64
10/23/2006, 12:28 PM
I stayed until we got up by three scores.

I've never left a game early before and if I had packed appropriately before leaving Dallas on Friday I probably wouldn't have left this game early.

Say what you want but I have two small kiddos that don't need both parents sick at the same time.

Kuddos to all those who stayed. It was a very miserable night weather wise.

By the way, this game was a lot more entertaining that the Cottonbowl in 2001. I thought that our offense did pretty good except that we played very conservative in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. KW even said on the radio after the game that they probably didn't call the game as well as they should because they were worried about the wind.

RacerX
10/23/2006, 12:54 PM

RAWR!!

Wuss.

RacerX
10/23/2006, 01:01 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/US/OK/Norman.html

RacerX
10/23/2006, 01:05 PM
http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/US/OK/Norman.gif
(http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/US/OK/Norman.gif)

Sooner98
10/23/2006, 01:13 PM
http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/US/OK/Norman.gif
(http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/US/OK/Norman.gif)

If only they could have played the game this afternoon. :(

RacerX
10/23/2006, 01:19 PM
Dude, it was football weather Saturday night!

soonerlaw
10/23/2006, 02:17 PM
It also didn't help that all the concessions ran out of hot chocolate (or cups for hot chocolate) as early as the 2nd quarter. Even they weren't prepared for how cold it was.

start8
10/23/2006, 02:28 PM
I was there to the very end-yeah it was cold but I just huddled with a friend and kept cheering!

The Maestro
10/23/2006, 02:31 PM
What are you people talking about? I slept with the windows open both night's this weekend!

We're desert tough!

IB4OU2
10/23/2006, 03:27 PM
I cuddled with my Wife.

We later cuddled some more after TURNING THE FURNACE ON AT OUR HOUSE! :D

Wierd....I did too......:eek: ;)

btw, people that tell us wer'e wusses for leaving the game early and they did'nt even go are kinda well........stupid.

It was colder than sittin' on a block of ice bare a**ed eating popsicles in Flags livin' room while catching the prop wash full face from an artic bound 747. and I thought I was dressed for it.....:mad:

MamaMia
10/23/2006, 05:05 PM
I noticed that the higher the seats, the earlier most fans left. There were so many seats that had no protection at all from the elements, and the cold front did come in 3 hours before 1st announced. By then, folks were already enjoying the Homecoming parade and were many miles away from the heavy coats they would have brought had they known it was going to get that cold, and so quickly.

I was however amazed at how many fans were still way up there in the freezing wind, after so many of their upper deck bench mates left for fear of pneumonia. Bless their hearts, I hope they didn't catch cold or something even worse. :(

According to my daughters report, the concessions ran out of coffee and that awful water based, but warm, cocoa right away, and the OU item booths ran out of blankets, coats, jackets and hooded sweat jackets as well. They really must plan better.

bluedogok
10/23/2006, 08:00 PM
They have always run out of coffee/hot cocoa for the first "cool" game let alone cold for as long as I have been going to them....sometimes they even run out in late November (88 Nebraska sleet game).

Sooner24
10/23/2006, 08:13 PM
Okay people when it comes to taking coats and such to the game it's just like I have told my kids all of their life.............IT'S BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THEN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.

Most of you on here bemoan the fact the weatherman is never right then put your full trust in them before packing for the football game. Figure it out. :rolleyes:

Sooner24
10/23/2006, 08:15 PM
They have always run out of coffee/hot cocoa for the first "cool" game let alone cold for as long as I have been going to them....sometimes they even run out in late November (85 Nebraska sleet game).

I don't remember it sleeting at the 85 Nebraska game. :confused:

proud gonzo
10/23/2006, 08:18 PM
Okay people when it comes to taking coats and such to the game it's just like I have told my kids all of their life.............IT'S BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THEN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.

Most of you on here bemoan the fact the weatherman is never right then put your full trust in them before packing for the football game. Figure it out. :rolleyes:
Oh, I did take a jacket just incase. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt, a sweater, a leather jacket, and a hoodie sweatshirt. It was cold. Figure it out :rolleyes:

Sooner24
10/23/2006, 08:21 PM
Oh, I did take a jacket just incase. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt, a sweater, a leather jacket, and a hoodie sweatshirt. It was cold. Figure it out :rolleyes:

Okay I figured it out.

You're a wuss. ;)

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 08:27 PM
I stayed until the end <caveat> but I talked with several diehard fans today who left early on Saturday just unprepared for the cold and wind....

Rhino
10/23/2006, 08:37 PM
Bud Light presents: Real Men of Genius.

Today we salute you, Mr. Freezing Cold Weather Football Watcher Man.

MR. FREEZING COLD WEATHER FOOTBALL WATCHER MAN!

As the weaklings around you leave their seats because they're too cold, you take off layers just to taunt them.

YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF PANSIES!

Nevermind that you're slowly dying of hypothermia and your left pinkie toe is about to fall off. That's the price you gotta pay to watch the greatest team in the world.

I DON'T USE THAT TOE ANYWAY!

Reminiscing about games gone past, you make sure everyone knows that this game is nothing like the Arctic Chill Bowl back in '85. You lost feeling in your left arm during that game...permanently. And you're damn proud of it.

BOW BEFORE MY FOOTBALL WATCHING PROWESS!

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light with your working arm and delight in the fact that you are the toughest man alive...ever.

Anheuser-Busch: Saint Louis, Missouri

MamaMia
10/23/2006, 08:44 PM
They have always run out of coffee/hot cocoa for the first "cool" game let alone cold for as long as I have been going to them....sometimes they even run out in late November (85 Nebraska sleet game).
Maybe so, but you can no longer bring in your own thermos. Now we are dependent upon them to make hot drinks available to us. Some warm apple cider would be nice. Its easy to make, and tastes better than hot chocolate water substance. :P

* Mr. Freezing Cold Weather Football Watcher Man is certainly tough, but not so bright. When out in the cold weather, alcohol is not a healthy choice for a beverage, while trying to stay warm. ;)

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 08:44 PM
Bud Light presents: Real Men of Genius.

Today we salute you, Mr. Freezing Cold Weather Football Watcher Man.

As the weaklings around you leave their seats because they're too cold, you take off layers just to taunt them.

YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF PANSIES!

Nevermind that you're slowly dying of hypothermia and your left pinkie toe is about to fall off. That's the price you gotta pay to watch the greatest team in the world.

I DON'T USE THAT TOE ANYWAY!

Reminiscing about games gone past, you make sure everyone knows that this game is nothing like the Arctic Chill Bowl back in '85. You lost feeling in your left arm during that game...permanently. And you're damn proud of it.

BOW BEFORE MY FOOTBALL WATCHING PROWESS!

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light with your working arm and delight in the fact that you are the toughest man alive...ever.

Anheuser-Busch: Saint Louis, Missouri

...might stick with your day job...no seriously that's funny, I love those commercials

bluedogok
10/23/2006, 08:54 PM
I don't remember it sleeting at the 85 Nebraska game. :confused:
Corrected, the Charles Thompson broken leg game - 1988

Sooner24
10/23/2006, 09:05 PM
It was in the fortys people not the Green Bay/Dallas Ice Bowl. :rolleyes:

Sooner24
10/23/2006, 09:09 PM
The 1967 game, played on December 31, 1967 at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin, remains one of the coldest NFL games on record. The official game-time temperature was -13&#176;F / -25&#176;C, with a wind chill around -48&#176;F / -44&#176;C. The bitter cold overwhelmed Lambeau's new turf heating system, leaving the playing surface hard as a rock and nearly as smooth as ice. The officials were unable to use their whistles after the opening kickoff, when the referee blew his whistle to signal the start of play and it froze to his lips. For the rest of the game, the officials used their voices to end plays

I bet fewer people left that game before it was over then Sat night in Norman.

bluedogok
10/23/2006, 09:16 PM
It was high 40's early and then came the rain then sleet and it was colder than 40's by the end of the game, I remember getting caked in it. I also had to change a flat at a liquor store in it on the way back to the apartment. It turned to snow later that night when we walked out to go to dinner at Interurban. I was mainly making a reference to the fact that they ran out of hot drinks on that day when the weather was expected. The coldest that I sat through was in the mid 70's against Missouri one year, but I was young and at a game so I didn't care.

It was not as bad as the Ice Bowl in Stillwater but that was a night game so it got progressively worse, as if being there wasn't bad enough.

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 09:19 PM
The 1967 game, played on December 31, 1967 at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin, remains one of the coldest NFL games on record. The official game-time temperature was -13°F / -25°C, with a wind chill around -48°F / -44°C. The bitter cold overwhelmed Lambeau's new turf heating system, leaving the playing surface hard as a rock and nearly as smooth as ice. The officials were unable to use their whistles after the opening kickoff, when the referee blew his whistle to signal the start of play and it froze to his lips. For the rest of the game, the officials used their voices to end plays

I bet fewer people left that game before it was over then Sat night in Norman.

Not a fair comparision, that was a Championship game...

Sooner24
10/23/2006, 09:55 PM
Not a fair comparision, that was a Championship game...

True. And 3/4 of the people in Green Bay were frozen to their seats and couldn't leave. ;)

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 09:58 PM
...and it is not like Green Bay fans had any place else to go....

Hornicus
10/23/2006, 10:21 PM
7-4 last year, 5-2 on the way to another 7-4 this year.....get used to the empty stands....nobody is interested in watching game day bob try to pad the statistics.

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:28 PM
nice talking with you......

Octavian
10/23/2006, 10:31 PM
7-4 last year, 5-2 on the way to another 7-4 this year.....get used to the empty stands....nobody is interested in watching game day bob try to pad the statistics.

weak sauce.

If you're gonna try and attempt smack, at least get the records right.

Since your dad is a fairy he probably wouldn't know...no use asking him.

And there's no way of knowing if you have an older brother.

Still, no excuses.

There's plenty of websites...check into it.

And get some sleep, kid...the short bus will be there bright and early.

hurricane'bone
10/23/2006, 10:32 PM

7-4? So...is OU just not going to play a game this year?

Hornicus
10/23/2006, 10:34 PM
I'm a little surprised at the lack of spirit from all you kool aid drinkers...kinda reminds me of the soonies during the second half of the Texas game.

THUNDERSTRUCK....again.

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:36 PM
Corniwus, get ready for the grand fall of the Horns yet this year...very average team...

Rhino
10/23/2006, 10:37 PM
THUNDERSTRUCK....again.[/quote]

Oh my, that makes me chuckle.

Hornicus
10/23/2006, 10:43 PM
If the Horns are a very average team, how would a team they beat 28-10 be described?

Oh yea, I forgot.....

The soonies !!!!

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:46 PM
We'll settle that at the end of the season...Texas probably chokes to the pokes this weekend....would not surprise me....

sanantoniosooner
10/23/2006, 10:46 PM
If the Horns are a very average team, how would a team they beat 28-10 be described?

Oh yea, I forgot.....

The soonies !!!!
6 posts in........I've decided that you're a quantity rather than quality guy.

Sound fair?

Soonerus
10/23/2006, 10:52 PM
Hornicus not very quick...

David Earl
10/24/2006, 07:44 AM
Hornicus got banned. Norm shoe-whipped him. You go Norm!