PDA

View Full Version : Dear Bill Callahan

NYaggie
10/21/2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for taking over the title of worst Big XII gameday coach.

Signed,

Coach Fran :twinkies:

lexsooner
10/21/2006, 02:42 PM
Too bad Neb did not intercept that third down toss into the endzone. Mack would then have that title for a long time. Terrible call, almost as bad as Musburger's color commentary.

Fraggle145
10/21/2006, 02:45 PM
you suck. Jack A$$.- Donald (Happy Gilmore)

oumartin
10/21/2006, 02:47 PM
"Halftime adjustments are for wussies"...Bob Stoops

NYaggie
10/21/2006, 03:20 PM
You got beat by another F'in hillbilly!

Luv,
:mack:

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2006, 03:27 PM
Raider fans still hate you...

Soonerus
10/21/2006, 04:30 PM
Bill "I am a dunce" Calendumbass...

tulsaoilerfan
10/21/2006, 07:36 PM
So what happened? I missed it

Newbomb Turk
10/21/2006, 07:39 PM

Other than they lost, I don't know.

CrimsonandCreamForever
10/21/2006, 07:40 PM
Neb lost. YWIA ;)

goingoneight
10/21/2006, 10:00 PM
Nebbish had the game at hand if they didn't develop the butter-fingers-syndrome. TE drops a converted third down, UT recovers, kicks the winning FG. It was sickening to see how lucky two teams could get in one day. Neuter Dame was the other one, BTW.

royalfan5
10/21/2006, 10:11 PM
Nebbish had the game at hand if they didn't develop the butter-fingers-syndrome. TE drops a converted third down, UT recovers, kicks the winning FG. It was sickening to see how lucky two teams could get in one day. Neuter Dame was the other one, BTW.
Nunn has had bad luck with critical fumbles like that over the years. He had the same happen against Mizzou last year too. This as bad as the Tech game last year were we fumbled away the game sealing interception and then Tech convereted.

KingDavid
10/21/2006, 10:14 PM
IMO Callahan called a great game. He can't control his receivers fumbles - has nothing to do with game-day coaching.

The biggest criticism I have is that he didn't use his time-outs once Texas got within the 10. If he does that, they'd have at least 45 seconds or more to try to get within FG range.

So I guess he is a dumbass.

But Texass is lucky, too.

sooneron
10/21/2006, 10:16 PM
Two teams? I believe there were 5 last second wins today.

Scott D
10/21/2006, 10:26 PM
Raider fans still hate you...

you got that **** right :D

royalfan5
10/21/2006, 10:28 PM
you got that **** right :D
But Art Shell is a heck of an upgrade.

Scott D
10/21/2006, 10:30 PM
But Art Shell is a heck of an upgrade.

hey, that team racked disciprine...like any other team that has had Norv Turner as a head coach.

Now if they could get rid of Porter I'd be happy...even if it was for a 6 pack at this point.

royalfan5
10/21/2006, 10:32 PM
hey, that team racked disciprine...like any other team that has had Norv Turner as a head coach.

Now if they could get rid of Porter I'd be happy...even if it was for a 6 pack at this point.
That would make the 0-16 more bearable I suppose.

Scott D
10/21/2006, 10:32 PM
That would make the 0-16 more bearable I suppose.

well that and the fact that we'd draft Adrian Peterson to take over for Lamont Jordan. Which I'm sure will make Jordan happy.

royalfan5
10/21/2006, 10:35 PM
well that and the fact that we'd draft Adrian Peterson to take over for Lamont Jordan. Which I'm sure will make Jordan happy.
Do you really trust Al Davis not screw that up?

Scott D
10/21/2006, 10:36 PM
I don't know, I think we did pretty well in that whole Jon Gruden trade. Except for being stuck with two coaches who sucked.

royalfan5
10/21/2006, 10:38 PM
I don't know, I think we did pretty well in that whole Jon Gruden trade. Except for being stuck with two coaches who sucked.
Of course the current roster his responsibility too. I mean, Aaron Brooks as starting QB?

Scott D
10/21/2006, 10:39 PM
eh, Brooks won't get the starting job back when healthy..it'll be Walters' job to have growing pains through.

royalfan5
10/21/2006, 10:42 PM
eh, Brooks won't get the starting job back when healthy..it'll be Walters' job to have growing pains through.
Just think it could have been Lineart filling that role.

Scott D
10/21/2006, 10:43 PM
if we don't draft Walter the year before, we probably take Cutler. I don't think Al is going to trust another lefty QB, especially one from USC after the Marinovich saga.

royalfan5
10/21/2006, 10:45 PM
if we don't draft Walter the year before, we probably take Cutler. I don't think Al is going to trust another lefty QB, especially one from USC after the Marinovich saga.
because being left-handed was Marinovich's problem.

Scott D
10/21/2006, 11:02 PM
can never be too careful

Football Jim
10/22/2006, 01:58 AM
I dislike callahan, but he and his staff did ok. I have never seen two teams try to lose a game as hard as the whorns and corns. They took turns screwing up all day.
Texas was the better team, they just have a numbnuts field goal kicker.

Musberger gave Blake the credit for recruiting most of the corns, I thought that was interesting.

Dio
10/22/2006, 07:27 AM
Everybody knows Booo Blake is the Greatest Recruiter in the History of Evar.

KYHonorarySooner
10/22/2006, 08:52 AM
Too bad Neb did not intercept that third down toss into the endzone. Mack would then have that title for a long time. Terrible call, almost as bad as Musburger's color commentary.

Almost as bad as what Musburger was wearing. Anybody see that?? He looked like he got dressed in the dark and then when he saw what he had put on was like awwww f*** it! It hurt my eyes...

SoonerTerry
10/22/2006, 11:52 AM

Agreed, that was the worst call I've seen in a long time.

Rhino
10/22/2006, 01:33 PM
Callenberger needs to write a book on how to mismanage a football game in the fourth quarter.

49r
10/22/2006, 09:33 PM
He's getting way more out of these kids than any coach should be expected to. Nebraska's talent is mediocre at best, yet they've competed well in every game so far this season.

Next year with Keller, and hopefully an improved secondary, they could be a legitimate threat to win the conference. They have to travel to Austin, though, so it'd be a stretch...

royalfan5
10/22/2006, 09:40 PM
He's getting way more out of these kids than any coach should be expected to. Nebraska's talent is mediocre at best, yet they've competed well in every game so far this season.

Next year with Keller, and hopefully an improved secondary, they could be a legitimate threat to win the conference. They have to travel to Austin, though, so it'd be a stretch...
Getting Bowman back at CB next year will go a long way, losing him before the season was killer. Thernarse is a star in waiting at safety. Most of the offense returns, and if Keller is as advertised NU should be improved next year.

soonerhubs
10/22/2006, 10:18 PM
I think we're all forgetting that it was cold and wet out there. Common sense would've told Callahan to simply call run plays even if to go three and out.

That way they could punt it away and have Texas's O struggle to get into Field Goal position.

He simply failed to play it safe.

royalfan5
10/22/2006, 10:40 PM
I think we're all forgetting that it was cold and wet out there. Common sense would've told Callahan to simply call run plays even if to go three and out.

That way they could punt it away and have Texas's O struggle to get into Field Goal position.

He simply failed to play it safe.
Both teams had connected on Big pass plays in the game, and both of Nebraska Corners had been beat down the field during the game. No lead is safe with NU's secondary(see Barmann, Adam) The call worked brilliantly until Nunn fumbled. Callahan call was better than Mack pitching the ball into the end zone on third down and almost getting it picked off instead of setting up the field goal. Plus the fact that Texas owned us on the LOS all game long. Callahan went for the win and it damn near worked to perfection. People would have been complaining about him playing if safe if NU punts and Sweed sails by our corners for another TD.

soonerhubs
10/22/2006, 11:03 PM
Both teams had connected on Big pass plays in the game, and both of Nebraska Corners had been beat down the field during the game. No lead is safe with NU's secondary(see Barmann, Adam) The call worked brilliantly until Nunn fumbled. Callahan call was better than Mack pitching the ball into the end zone on third down and almost getting it picked off instead of setting up the field goal. Plus the fact that Texas owned us on the LOS all game long. Callahan went for the win and it damn near worked to perfection. People would have been complaining about him playing if safe if NU punts and Sweed sails by our corners for another TD.
You're probably right. It may be aggiesh of me, but I was rooting for Nebbish, and was bummed to see that fumble.

Egeo
10/22/2006, 11:13 PM
can you name a better call with around 15 seconds left and no timeouts?

you run the ball and teh fg team has to hurry (along with the walkon kicker)
the fade to a tall reciever is the best call to stop the clock...
it was just a poor throw and sweed was double covered. colt should have looked to the other side

royalfan5
10/22/2006, 11:32 PM
can you name a better call with around 15 seconds left and no timeouts?

you run the ball and teh fg team has to hurry (along with the walkon kicker)
the fade to a tall reciever is the best call to stop the clock...
it was just a poor throw and sweed was double covered. colt should have looked to the other side
I can name two, kicking the field goal right there or spiking the ball to stop the clock. Nebraska's kicker range only extends to 40 yards, so NU would have to drive pretty deep to get in his range even with the wind, so giving up 15 seconds by kicking early isn't going to hurt you that much especially with NU only carrying 1 Timeout at that point.

Egeo
10/23/2006, 12:20 AM
the clock was already stopped... so you spike it just to waste your down?
that doesnt sound any smarter
kicking it right there is an option.... and a good one. but there are tons of teams that run a fade in a situation like that. if mccoy makes a good throw and they score - all the sudden its a great call.

and if nebraska hadnt wasted their timeouts like they did, they would have had plenty of time to get into fg range the way they moved the ball on the last 30 seconds

royalfan5
10/23/2006, 09:45 AM
the clock was already stopped... so you spike it just to waste your down?
that doesnt sound any smarter
kicking it right there is an option.... and a good one. but there are tons of teams that run a fade in a situation like that. if mccoy makes a good throw and they score - all the sudden its a great call.

and if nebraska hadnt wasted their timeouts like they did, they would have had plenty of time to get into fg range the way they moved the ball on the last 30 seconds
Why risk the turnover by running the fade though. You have a chip shot field goal. Nebraska had to use the time outs to ensure at some shot at getting the ball back. You could argue that NU should have used them sooner to get more time with the ball, otherwise Texas could have just run the clock down and kicked it as time ran out. Texas throwing the ball played right into giving NU a chance to win

boomersooner82
10/23/2006, 09:52 AM

Yeah, that was where he screwed up: using a timeout to ice a young kicker who was rushing out on the field for his first FG attempt. They could have used that timeout on their offensive drive. The third down call was cool, though someone pointed out that maybe that wasn't the best route to have him run. Some sort of stop or hook route might've put him in better position to protect the ball, but still, you've just got to hold on to it. The timeout mismanagement is what officially earns him the worst coach in the league honors.

Rhino
10/23/2006, 10:19 AM
Callahan should have used one of those timeouts when there was still a minute left instead of letting almost 30 seconds click off and call timeouts just to 'ice' a kicker.

OULenexaman
10/23/2006, 10:44 AM
heh....the bugeaters still suck...I couldn't be happier...

Egeo
10/23/2006, 11:06 AM
Why risk the turnover by running the fade though. You have a chip shot field goal. Nebraska had to use the time outs to ensure at some shot at getting the ball back. You could argue that NU should have used them sooner to get more time with the ball, otherwise Texas could have just run the clock down and kicked it as time ran out. Texas throwing the ball played right into giving NU a chance to win
walk on kicker

im sure texas didnt want to put him in the position to have to win the game if they could score a td and im really sure they didnt want him to go out and attempt the game winner as time was running out because he would not have had time to get the proper focus in.

royalfan5
10/23/2006, 11:21 AM
walk on kicker

im sure texas didnt want to put him in the position to have to win the game if they could score a td and im really sure they didnt want him to go out and attempt the game winner as time was running out because he would not have had time to get the proper focus in.
chip shot field goal. Even medicore high school kickers can make that kick. You don't risk a turnover in that situation. Callahan shouldn't have iced him but that's the way it goes.

caphorns
10/23/2006, 11:24 AM
What was the bad play call by Callihan? I thought his trick plays for the go-ahead score were genius. He has that team going now. I don't like the guy, but their team plays us harder than anyone else in the conference not named OU.

The Sweed pass looked like a bad read by Colt. I'm sure he was expecting blitz (who wasn't), but should have looked that pass off or thrown it out of the back of the end zone when the Corn didn't bring it.

Egeo
10/23/2006, 11:39 AM
do you know how many xp's have been missed this year?