PDA

View Full Version : UT law

ELP Sooner
10/20/2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.elpasotimes.com/opinion/ci_4519213

Article Launched:10/20/2006 12:00:00 AM MDT

Last week, I received a postcard from an anonymous reader and thought to share it, verbatim and in its entirety, with original emphasis and bad grammar, front and back for your edification:
"I'm an old Anglo cowboy type (always worn cowboys boots all my life) (VERY CONSERVATIVE) that has lived in El Paso for over 50 years. I really like to fly and take many airplane trips a year.

"You should be used to it by now. Don't try to fight it, just submit to it -- racial profiling. Racial profiling is necessary in the Great USA and Canada. In proportion, darked-skinned people create many more crimes than Anglos do. Just look at the prison population. It is very dark, indeed.

"Look at all the trouble Middle Easterners have caused the U.S.A. They all need to be scrutinized and profiled.

"You've come a long way since 1865 a little profiling won't hurt you any. We just want to make sure. We're going to catch a lot more trouble-makers if we just simply racial profile them. You didn't think you'd be COMPLETELY FREE in 1865, did you?

"Don't let it bother you. We just want to keep a little check on you from time to time. The more it happens, the more you'll get used to it."

I thought it was a joke. Then I shared it with several friends, mentors and colleagues. They all agreed -- this was no joke; this is a prevalent attitude in our community and in our country.

------------->This attitude allowed U.S. Sen. George Allen to use a racial slur against a young man. This attitude encouraged UT Austin law students to plan and participate in a "Pimp and 'Ho" party wearing black-face, Afro wigs, grills and stereotypical '70s outfits, poking fun at a segment of the U.S. community. It permits racial profiling. <-----------

Discrimination threatens the very fabric of our society. It allowed internment of U.S. citizens during and after World War II. It required the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to end segregation and enforce equal rights for minorities, 101 years after slavery ended.

Because of discrimination, the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution was necessary to protect the rights of all people, regardless of race or gender.

This attitude runs in the undercurrent of our hearts, civil discourse, justice system and our government.

No, we haven't come a long way; we're going backward. When we, as a nation, refuse to live out the meaning of the words "all men are created equal," we deny the founding principles of this nation.

When we are silent when racist comments are made, we perpetuate racism. When we judge people by appearance or make fun of their culture or nationality, we are guilty of discrimination. When we allow our government to do so, we, too, remain in darkness.

There's a limit to tolerance of racist attitudes. I say to you, if you don't like this tapestry nation of many colors, faiths, cultures and languages, leave it.

If you can't evolve and celebrate diversity, go away and keep your mean-spirited thoughts by yourself. This attitude is unworthy of descendants of the children of the Enlightenment who created this nation.

It is un-American.

And, by the way, the slaves were freed in 1863.

Ouisa D. Davis, attorney at law, is Division Chief, Family Law Information Center, El Paso County Domestic Relations Office.

crawfish
10/20/2006, 12:45 PM
ELP was great. I love "Karn Evil 9".

yermom
10/20/2006, 12:48 PM
http://www.africanaonline.com/slavery_timeline.htm

1865 Slavery Abolished The 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution outlaws slavery.

the Emancipation Proclamation wouldn't exactly do much for slaves in the South that couldn't escape to the North...

TUSooner
10/20/2006, 02:31 PM
<sound of hands wringing>

crawfish
10/20/2006, 02:38 PM
:les: STILL....YOU TURN ME ON!!!

Okla-homey
10/20/2006, 03:55 PM
Here the deal. America "used" to be a "melting pot." That was a metaphor for our long history of successful assimilation of myriad cultures and nationalities during which Russians, Germans, Scots, Greeks, Turks, etc. went in to the pot, underwent amalgamation with the follks already here and emerged as AMERICANS.

The thing some of us object to is the uberP.C. notion that America is now a "tapestry," as the aggrieved writer you posted laments. The image of a "tapestry" connotes a national fabric made up of distinct and seperate strands loosely forming some kind of artsy wall-hanging or something.

Frankly, I don't give a dang where you came from, who your daddy was, or even if you like bacon and eggs or apple pie. All I ask is that you drop the flippin' "hyphenated" status (e.g. fill in the blank-American), learn and use English, and take your civic duty to practice, support and defend the Constitution of the United States seriously.

If a person, regardless of background or ethnicity will do those things, they'll have no trouble with me. If they are unwilling to sign up to those conditions...IMHO, they should just GTF out.