PDA

View Full Version : Why has the Big12 been down the last couple of years?

achiro
10/20/2006, 11:28 AM
I think it was the last game they showed a list of the Big12 coaches and their tenure at the schools. Stoops was one of the top couple as I recall. I am way to lazy to go do the research but I have to wonder if a bunch of new coaches isn't part of it? Are other conferences dealing with it as much as the B12?

BASSooner
10/20/2006, 12:11 PM
Kstate's big win against us in 03 marked their end of dominance.
When Nebbish AD fired Solich
When texas ags hired coach franny
when les moved to LSU
when Mike Stoops left us(...possibly?)

That is why the big 12 sucks

BIG_IKE
10/20/2006, 12:16 PM
BIG 12 is down? Hmm...
Why does everyone say that just because OU or Nu is not undefeated??

Last year we sent 8 teams to bowl games and had the best bowl record...AND the National Champ. And a representative in the MNC game 5 of the last 6 seasons.

We are down?

I think a certain Conference called the SEc is just overrated. As are most conferences.
Why did it take a last second field goal for Alabama to beat Tech last year?
Didnt Texass beat SC?
Did OU beat ORegon?
Didnt Nebraska beat Michigan?

Damn pollsters and pimple faced computer geeks who never put a helmet on that concoct these formulas. The field is all that matters. And on the field the Big 12 alaways has and will hold it's own.

In the past couple of years what major team has not lost to a Big 12 Team?

Michigan? Yep...their last 2 bowl games
Ohio St? Yep..at home
USC? Yep...at home
Oregon? Yep...home,away and bowl game
LSU? Yep..
Arkansas? Yep..
California? Yep..in a Bowl game

There is nothing wrong with the Big 12 except that we let other people make us believe that our conference is trash, when the other conferences really are not much better., It's all about perception.

You take a few teams away from ANY conference and they dont seem thatr good.
Imagine a Big 10 without tOSU or Michigan....they would be no different than taking UT and OU out of the Big 12. In fact, our other teams just might be a little better,

The Big 12 is better than the Pac 1- NOW...
same for the Big Least, ACC...

And even in the "vaunted" SEC...damn what they do against eachother, when they play out of conference opponents they get it handed to em. GA almost lost to Colorado. USC demolished Arkansas....

They are overrated every year and cry about playing eachother. Wait till Bowl season is all I can say.

SoonerGM
10/20/2006, 05:03 PM
yah, i think the SEC is hilarious. i do feel they are a decent conference, but with the way that espn portrays them as some kind of perennial unstoppable force, they just appear as a big joke to me. i like to compare them to the big 12 north of last year.

why?

well, the big 12 north last year beat each other up, just as the sec does each year. the difference? big 12 north was laughed at and called inconsistent and weak, while the sec is so strong that it is tough to go undefeated in that conference. where does this perception come from? preseason rankings. if you take the big 12 north and give 4 of them top 15 rankings, all of a sudden its hard to compete.

this all makes me laugh especially at tommy tubberville and his cry baby comments about the BCS. sure it is tough to go undefeated, but isnt that what being a champion is about?! overcoming all the adversity and proving that you are the best team in the nation. i dont know, maybe i am wrong.

btw, i know arkansas is having a good year, but i wouldnt consider them as an elite team, even in their conference(and i kinda like arkansas).

arcman46
10/20/2006, 07:12 PM
Listening to ESPN wax poetic about the SEC is about as bad as them talking about the greatest program in College Football history; the amazing Trojans for SUC. Makes you want to throw a brick through the TV.

Husker In Oklahoma
10/20/2006, 09:28 PM
BIG 12 is down? Hmm...
Why does everyone say that just because OU or Nu is not undefeated??

Last year we sent 8 teams to bowl games and had the best bowl record...AND the National Champ. And a representative in the MNC game 5 of the last 6 seasons.

We are down?

I think a certain Conference called the SEc is just overrated. As are most conferences.
Why did it take a last second field goal for Alabama to beat Tech last year?
Didnt Texass beat SC?
Did OU beat ORegon?
Didnt Nebraska beat Michigan?

Damn pollsters and pimple faced computer geeks who never put a helmet on that concoct these formulas. The field is all that matters. And on the field the Big 12 alaways has and will hold it's own.

In the past couple of years what major team has not lost to a Big 12 Team?

Michigan? Yep...their last 2 bowl games
Ohio St? Yep..at home
USC? Yep...at home
Oregon? Yep...home,away and bowl game
LSU? Yep..
Arkansas? Yep..
California? Yep..in a Bowl game

There is nothing wrong with the Big 12 except that we let other people make us believe that our conference is trash, when the other conferences really are not much better., It's all about perception.

You take a few teams away from ANY conference and they dont seem thatr good.
Imagine a Big 10 without tOSU or Michigan....they would be no different than taking UT and OU out of the Big 12. In fact, our other teams just might be a little better,

The Big 12 is better than the Pac 1- NOW...
same for the Big Least, ACC...

And even in the "vaunted" SEC...damn what they do against eachother, when they play out of conference opponents they get it handed to em. GA almost lost to Colorado. USC demolished Arkansas....

They are overrated every year and cry about playing eachother. Wait till Bowl season is all I can say.
One of the best posts I have read, anywhere in a long time. I'm a Husker, but you hit it on the head. I have long thought the same things. Again, excellent post!!

Crucifax Autumn
10/21/2006, 02:03 AM
Seems to me that when any other conference beats the **** outta each other they are "a tough conference", but when it happens in the big 12 we are weak.

If the teams in the Big 12 could spend all their time trying to beat a team or 2 that is "ok" then we'd look tough too, but we have to paly every week at our best, while the other conferences can practice for weeks in anticipation of a big game and just "playground" the lesser opponents and squeak one out.

Who among ranked teams besides OU hasn't played a IIA school this year?