PDA

View Full Version : Tax Fraud Question

1stTimeCaller
10/20/2006, 09:28 AM
I currently live in TX and work in OK. I have a TX driver license but just got an OK tag for my truck. Being as I'm working in OK my employer is taking out OK income tax. Should they? When I deduct a portion of the expenses for my truck can I deduct a portion of the excise tax/tag I just paid?

My tax preparer is probably not gonna like me this year.

Hatfield
10/20/2006, 09:42 AM
ask Wesley Snipes he should know

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/20/2006, 10:10 AM
I currently live in TX and work in OK. I have a TX driver license but just got an OK tag for my truck. Being as I'm working in OK my employer is taking out OK income tax. Should they? When I deduct a portion of the expenses for my truck can I deduct a portion of the excise tax/tag I just paid?

if you work in a state then you are liable for their income tax after X number of days (varies by state). in consulting, they gross up your pay to pay for the extra state taxes. if you retain your primary residence in texas, you can write off just about everything while you are in oklahoma as long as you take a 3 week furlough every 49 weeks.

1stTimeCaller
10/20/2006, 10:13 AM
thanks. I will also be working in TX as well.

Osce0la
10/20/2006, 10:20 AM
ask Wesley Snipes when they throw you in a cell with him...he should know
fixed

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/20/2006, 11:06 AM
thanks. I will also be working in TX as well.

it sounds like you are gonna need a top notch cpa to figure this out.

Okla-homey
10/20/2006, 03:40 PM
I have a TX driver license but just got an OK tag for my truck. When I deduct a portion of the expenses for my truck can I deduct a portion of the excise tax/tag I just paid?

I'm no tax expert, but I'm pretty sure Oklahoma law says a person can't tag a veehickle in this state unless they are a resident of this Great State. Thus, unless possessed of a bona fied Oklahoma address or bearing a license to do business in Oklahoma, it's a "no-go" at the tag office.

P.O. boxes or putting down your Aunt Margaret's address in Chickasha don't count.

I understand that legislation was drafted partiallyto keep folks from TX (who don't pay state income taxes, but pay more for tags) from sneaking across the Red to deny the good People of texass their due in the form of vehickle registration fees.:texan:

Question 1: Under what pretenses then, did you avail yourself of an Oklahoma tag? Hmmmm? If you are an Oklahoma resident, then...

:les: GET AN OKLAHOMA DRIVER LICENSE!

Question 2: Are you seeking a tax credit for tagging your truck? If so, that seems kinda wacky unless it is a commercial vehicle used exclusively for business purposes, although there may be some freaky proportional-izing possible.

Bottomline: a good tax lawyer &/or CPA could figger this out.

Penguin
10/20/2006, 03:45 PM
Remember, it's not illegal if you don't get caught.

SoonerBorn68
10/20/2006, 03:48 PM
The short answer is to move to Oklahoma or work only in Texas.

Our Texas guys were getting screwed because their checks were coming out of OKC & OK was making them pay income taxes on all the jobs they worked in OK.

At least thats what I was told by several of the Texas MWD's.

SoonerBorn68
10/20/2006, 03:49 PM
Our company has since created a north Texas office & all the Texans are working south of Red River.

SicEmBaylor
10/20/2006, 03:53 PM
You rang?

err...I thought this was about campaign fraud. Carry on.

KIDDING :D

Okla-homey
10/20/2006, 03:58 PM
Remember, it's not illegal if you don't get caught.

That's what "the smartest guys in the room" at Enron thought too.;)

Howzit
10/20/2006, 03:59 PM
I have no idea.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

SoonerInKCMO
10/20/2006, 03:59 PM
I don't have anything to add to the tax discussion... but I will tell you that if you have OK tags and a TX license and you get busted for speeding in OK they'll also give you a 'no valid license' ticket. IIRC the one I got was for about $300.

Penguin
10/20/2006, 04:11 PM
You rang?

I love you, Penguin.

Are you coming on to me?

jk the sooner fan
10/20/2006, 05:08 PM
the smartest thing you can do is declare yourself a texas resident, maintain an "address' and tag your car there

then you'll file your normal federal return....and then you'll file a "non-resident" return for the state of oklahoma on the income you ONLY earned in oklahoma

SicEmBaylor
10/20/2006, 05:21 PM
Are you coming on to me?
I hope not.

OCUDad
10/20/2006, 06:19 PM
No problem, 1TC. Just edit a bunch of PDFs into whatever paperwork you need to get what you want.

1stTimeCaller
10/20/2006, 08:33 PM
For the past three or four years I've always had two states on my return, Oklahoma and wherever I was living. I have a small amount of income in OK every year.

Anyhoo, What about the wealthy people that Summer in the Hamptons and Winter in Florida? Do they have to switch driver licenes everry 6 months?

Why can't I do the same?

I guess if I drive slow and avoid roadblocks I should be good either way. ;)

Frozen Sooner
10/20/2006, 08:36 PM
For the past three or four years I've always had two states on my return, Oklahoma and wherever I was living. I have a small amount of income in OK every year.

Anyhoo, What about the wealthy people that Summer in the Hamptons and Winter in Florida? Do they have to switch driver licenes everry 6 months?

Why can't I do the same?

I guess if I drive slow and avoid roadblocks I should be good either way. ;)

Mom and step-dad winter in Scottsdale and summer up here. They make sure they stay 185 days out of the year here to keep Alaska residency.

1stTimeCaller
10/20/2006, 08:48 PM
Mom and step-dad winter in Scottsdale and summer up here. They make sure they stay 185 days out of the year here to keep Alaska residency.

Thanks, I guess that wouldn't explain the difference in my license and tag though. I guess I should figure out what the # of days is for Texas, unless they are the same for all states.

If I wait a while and retag my truck in TX, I wonder if I will have to pay the full excise tax? When I tagged my G6 there it was only about $350 when I switched from CO tags.

On my deal I will only have one address as when I'm working I currently stay in a hotel but will soon get a 5th wheel trailer and live on location and still not have an address.

I guess I need to call the guy that does my taxes again. I do know that he told me to keep track of business miles and personal miles and whatever the % of business use is I can deduct that % from all expenses for the truck i.e. tags, diesel, tires, maint. etc. I'm also going to depreciate my trailer on a 3 year schedule.

Does any of that make sense to anyone? I'm still a bit confused and I'm thinking I screwed myself on the tag. Although when the girl asked me about my DL# I told her it was a TX license and she said well your SSN will be fine. She asked if I wanted the title sent to my address in FW and I had her put in my mom's address. Color me cornfused. I just know that there are some very bright people on here, Howzit I'm not looking at you, when it comes to taxes and whatnot.

thanks for all the input folks.