PDA

View Full Version : all this stuff from Switzer about playing Reggie Smith at RB?

King Crimson
10/19/2006, 11:39 PM
i mean, Barry played the players who made the right decisions within the confines of the offense. Eric Mitchell, one of the sickest athletes at OU ever, was never gonna sniff beating out Jamelle.....Barry has said it himself.

no doubt Reggie is a great player on the football field....i just think Barry is armchair coaching on those comments.....because they certainly are not born out by his own decisions as coach.

goingoneight
10/19/2006, 11:42 PM
I think Barry was saying that based off of his Kick Returns, unless he's seen him play in practice or something. Reggie isn't a power-back, and he doesn't really have finess as an RB. His damage is done when he gets a step or two to look for a crease, you don't really get that unless you grab a toss-sweep. And I don't really know that I want anyone besides AD taking the toss-sweep route. Reggie may be a good sideways runner like Q, though...

picasso
10/19/2006, 11:55 PM
he's just thinking aloud since the stud known as AD is down. he stated that he knows we need him on D but it would be interesting to see what he could do offensively.

Switz himself perfected putting the high school QB at d-back.

Frozen Sooner
10/20/2006, 12:10 AM
Reggie may not even be playing defense this weekend, much less offense.

yermom
10/20/2006, 12:16 AM
:(

King Crimson
10/20/2006, 12:36 AM
he's just thinking aloud since the stud known as AD is down. he stated that he knows we need him on D but it would be interesting to see what he could do offensively.

Switz himself perfected putting the high school QB at d-back.

Barry was saying this before AD went down last week. he said he'd pitch it to him a couple times a game.

yermom
10/20/2006, 12:39 AM
ok, that makes total sense... maybe like Manual Johnson

oumartin
10/20/2006, 12:44 AM
funny how one of the winningest coaches of all time and one that is held in high regard among sooner faithful is being told he doesn't really know what he is talking about on here. Classic

rhombic21
10/20/2006, 03:52 AM
funny how one of the winningest coaches of all time and one that is held in high regard among sooner faithful is being told he doesn't really know what he is talking about on here. Classic
In all fairness, the HBs in Barry's offense primarily DID run on the edges every play. They didn't do very much power running between the tackles with the HBs. Those guys made most of their yards off option pitches on the edge, or off of misdirection.

So in Barry's offense Smith would probably be a pretty dangerous HB. I could see him as a Joe Washington type, in terms of his shiftiness and elusiveness. Not so much in our system because the HB primarily runs between the tackles, with the FB being used as a lead blocker rather than a battering ram to punish the defense up the middle..

The fact is that Smith would be pretty good at a number of positions. He could play WR and probably be All Conference. He could probably play HB at a high level if he dedicated himself to it. He can be a shutdown corner, and he can be a playmaker at Safety.

King Crimson
10/20/2006, 05:25 AM

that's not what i'm saying.....if you are paying attention.

MamaMia
10/20/2006, 06:49 AM
I think we should give it a go. :D

Soonerus
10/20/2006, 08:20 AM

That is pretty normal for the "experts" on this board...

Taxman71
10/20/2006, 08:50 AM
I don't think Reggie needs to play RB anymore than Antonio Perkins should have. Besides, with our thin depth in the secondary, I would move Wolfe to RB before Reggie.