PDA

View Full Version : Been watching games from last year....

tnraider1
10/19/2006, 03:50 PM
and I am still not sure what to think of the returning players. Supposedly we are planning on running the floor a lot, but do we even have the players to do this? Neal just doesn't seem like a run and gun type guy, Longar is not very athletic, and aside from Carter and Griffin, who else do we have who is game ready? I must say that I am very worried about the team this year and how they will respond after losing the top three scoring threats. I did see somewhere that we will be running a motion 4-1 type offense, which I think plays into Neals hands, as he should get plenty of open looks from 3. Just a lot more "if's" than usual going into this season. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on players other than who I mentioned that might make a big impact this year?

crawfish
10/19/2006, 04:32 PM
We have no returning stars and no returning identity. We do have alot of talent, if not a lot of size. Should be interesting to see how the season plays out, but I'm not expecting a whole lot.

lubbocksooner
10/19/2006, 04:38 PM
I don't know that we can even compare last year and this year. We are such an unknow and so young that we will probably see a progression to a completely different team by the end of the year. This will be a fresh start for everyone.
I read through the media guide on SoonerSports and just by looking at the players I would say depending on who is in there....yeah they could run. Bobby Maze, Austin Jonson, Keith Clark, and Tony Crocker might be good at it. Walker, Godbold, Carter, Neal, Griffin and Longar might be able to. All depends on how much these guys are will to work to do it and how they work together. I have alway thought Longar could improve into someone who if not a scoreing machine was a least a help. I am not a basketball guru but I have hope that they will pull together as a team and NOT finish ninth in the Big-12. I think they have a lot of potential and could finish as high as sixth or more depending on what happens to the other teams. Injuries and other things can really change a season, like we have not figured that one out. The guide only lists twelve players and that includes Kellen and Beau Gerber so we can't afford problems, we are not deep.
Good luck fella's I will be pulling for you.

King Crimson
10/19/2006, 08:11 PM
i think we'll have some nights where scoring the ball will be a problem. i also don't think we'll be as "run and gun" as popular perception is hailing Capel as the second coming of BillyBall.

17-15, and optimism for next year.

tnraider1
10/20/2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the input. I only get to see about a dozen games per year here in Tennessee, and I figured some of you may have seen more play out of last years backups (This years starters) than I have. I think Griffin has a ton of potential, and may end up being a leader on this team before the year is over. Seems like he could jump through the roof if he wanted to. We will need him crashing the boards a lot, due to our lack of size. I'm just so used to seeing competitive Sooner basketball, it's hard to adjust to a rebuilding year. Anyway, I'm still optimistic for this season and the following ones. If Capel picked up a few coaching tips from Coach K, then I think we will be back on track in no time.

chbrew09
10/20/2006, 12:42 PM
the word is that we are going to be running a motion-style, Dukesque offense this year. Not exactly run and gun, but much more exciting/much better suited for our team's size and ability this year. The offense would basically consist of 4 guards and 1 post (guards/forwards interchangeable). This is not only because this is what Capel prefers, but also due to the fact that we have one true big man in Longar. Austin Johnson is supposedly blowing up (can shoot lights out now) and Tony Crocker is the most "ready freshman" defensively and in mindset that we've had in years. It should be exciting to see how it all comes together and I don't think it will be as bad as people think. Oh yeah...I don't know what the word on this is, but they held walk-on tryouts and said they wanted to take around 3 guys, so anyone know about that?

lubbocksooner
10/20/2006, 07:40 PM
I think in the media guide they said the only non-scholarship player was Beau Gerber. That may have changed since printing though. In that line I did not think Kellen was a scholy player?

To be fair Gerber has a full academic scholarship I believe so did not need the sports one, he might be good enough to have earned it.

chbrew09
10/21/2006, 03:32 AM
tryouts were last sunday, so who knows