PDA

View Full Version : What is Skip Bayless smoking?

boomersooner28
10/19/2006, 12:08 PM
From Skip Bayless on Cold Pizza this morning:

"AD is now damaged goods and he is the reason that 18 year olds should be allowed to go straight to the NFL."

If the kid gets hurt in college, don't ya think he might get injured in the most violent league in all of sports? He's still gonna get paid.

soonerinabilene
10/19/2006, 12:19 PM
my guess is pole...

sanantoniosooner
10/19/2006, 12:21 PM
From Skip Bayless on Cold Pizza this morning:

"AD is now damaged goods and he is the reason that 18 year olds should be allowed to go straight to the NFL."

If the kid gets hurt in college, don't ya think he might get injured in the most violent league in all of sports? He's still gonna get paid.
yeah, he will still get paid.

I think the idea is that some might get hurt in a way that you wont get paid.

Widescreen
10/19/2006, 12:25 PM
I take issue with his comment that AD is damaged goods. How? It's not like he blew out his knee. His football career isn't in any way harmed.

RacerX
10/19/2006, 12:32 PM
he smokes hate

He hates everything.

Partial Qualifier
10/19/2006, 12:49 PM
he hate me

(sorry)

Tulsa_Fireman
10/19/2006, 12:51 PM
Kinda like when he and 'Stiff' Woody Paige were talking about the Miami debacle on 1st and 10 the other day. The topic was Miami. The fight. Florida International. Possible suspensions, Ramifications. Et cetera, et cetera. And what comes out of Skip Brainless' mouth when he starts cockstruttin' his little rooster self and his plethora of sports media guru-isms as he tried to prove to the world he's not an absolute farce to journalism and the world?

Oklahoma. Multiple times.

Spoken in the same breath in regards to that insanity that went down in 'Da OB' (stolen from the Lamar Thomas Compedium of Thoughtful Discourse) as if the University of Oklahoma, which had jack squat to do with that assfest of thuggery and ghetto trash, was lockstep in the gut punching, fatigue wearing, jackbooted punk-fest that is 'Da U' (again, stolen from the LTCoTD).

I was so hot I coulda chewed steel bars and spit ten penny nails.

But then I remembered Skip Brainless is a retard, and in sports journalism, being a retard of this caliber is the only qualifier under the Sports Journalism Affirmative Action program.

But I'd still like to punch that clown in the spewhole.

Mike4OU
10/19/2006, 01:52 PM
:eek:
Skip is an idiot. Period.

Jimminy Crimson
10/19/2006, 01:55 PM
...the 'Hump-man'.

OUmillenium
10/19/2006, 01:57 PM
In the world of real men he is simply a bozo. Will not get respect from anyone who has played or actually understands sports.

Kingwoodboomer
10/19/2006, 02:25 PM
yeah, he will still get paid.

I think the idea is that some might get hurt in a way that you wont get paid.

You mean kind of like Bomar was hurt, and won't get paid???:D

Snrfn4ever08
10/19/2006, 02:51 PM
he hate me

(sorry)
we hate he
:D

Dio
10/19/2006, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised Skip took time out from his big jihad to prove Troy Aikman is gay. Because for some reason, Skip really, really, really wants Troy to be gay.

NTTAWWT, Skip.

mdklatt
10/19/2006, 04:44 PM
I'm surprised Skip took time out from his big jihad to prove Troy Aikman is gay. Because for some reason, Skip really, really, really wants Troy to be gay.

Well he did transfer to UCLA....

BajaOklahoma
10/19/2006, 05:49 PM
Troy and Skip, what a pair.
I know both of them and I wouldn't give you a nickle for either of them.

sanantoniosooner
10/19/2006, 06:07 PM

NTTAWWT, Skip.
If Troy was gay, it would explain a lot of things.

Big Red Ron
10/19/2006, 07:07 PM
Troy had a male roomate that lived in his multimillion dollar home in Dallas for several years while not dating any women. We invited him to a fundraiser and he asked if he could bring his "roomate." It seemed kinda gay to me.

But to the point, maybe if the Skip's of the world say it enough, AD drops from top 5 to top 10ish in the draft and decides to come back next year?

OU Adonis
10/19/2006, 08:23 PM
Troy also went to Covergirls back in the day. Was he just trying to look hetero?

TXBOOMER
10/19/2006, 08:31 PM
Skip is a shock jock. He says what will start a fire and that is it. Basically he is a b***h.

sooneron
10/19/2006, 08:40 PM
Calling AD damaged goods is friggin classless. That fag should be banned from ever entering the state of OK.

Dio
10/20/2006, 11:21 AM
If Troy was gay, it would explain a lot of things.

I'm not saying Troy's not gay, I'm just saying Skip doth protest too much about it.

And I hear Skippy sits down to pee.

Ground_Attack
10/20/2006, 04:24 PM
we hate he

that's the best one yet.

Flagstaffsooner
10/20/2006, 04:42 PM
I'd like to hit the little snot on the head with a manhole cover.

hurricane'bone
10/20/2006, 07:01 PM
Skid(mark) said that because when AD was a freshman he wrote an article on ESPN about how 18 year olds should be able to go to the NFL.

Here is another article he wrote about OU.

ESPN.com: Page 2 [Print without images]

Thursday, September 15, 2005
Updated: September 19, 11:48 AM ET
Why Stoops should start Peterson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Skip Bayless
Page 2

A confession: I bleed crimson.

OU crimson.

I can't help it. I was born into the University of Oklahoma's football tradition. I grew up in Oklahoma City, and my grandfather took me to my first OU game when I was 5 years old.

I got to go that day only because none of my older cousins wanted to sit through yet another Sooners romp. The opponent, a Notre Dame team that had just lost at home to Navy, was almost a three-touchdown underdog in Norman.

That dark day, Notre Dame ended Bud Wilkinson's 47-game winning streak, 7-0. That record will never be broken, but my young heart was. Several shrinks have concluded that my traumatic OU baptism still triggers the opinions that enrage some readers.

Here I go again.

Oklahoma needs Adrian Peterson in order to win -- and isn't that what they're supposed to do?
Opinion: If Bob Stoops punishes Adrian Peterson for missing class by not starting him in Saturday's game at UCLA, I'll be even more disappointed in Stoops than I already am.

Stoops isn't the country's highest paid coach because of his team's academic achievements. No, Stoops makes upper-echelon NFL money because he has beaten Texas five straight times and finished the last five seasons by winning a Cotton and a Rose Bowl and playing for three national championships.

As an OU fan, I don't care if OU players are required to attend a single class, and I don't want my coach jeopardizing our chances to win because of a ridiculously strict new attendance requirement.

Confession No. 2: I graduated cum laude from Vanderbilt with a double major in English and history. But I wouldn't be upset if Vandy dropped football and basketball. I went there to get an education, and I'm proud to say I got a great one.

Why should I brag to friends that my school tries to recruit athletes who often choose Vanderbilt only for the opportunity to play in the SEC? Some of these athletes barely qualify as students, and many wouldn't have chosen Vanderbilt if not for full athletic scholarships.

It's called Vanderbilt University.

Yes, I'm mildly interested -- and, OK, a little proud -- that this year's Commodores opened with wins at Wake Forest and Arkansas. Thanks mostly to quarterback Jay Cutler, who could be a first-round pick, my school has a chance to go 6-5.

But I won't lose a second of sleep if they don't.

My Sooners are a different story. My God, they're in danger of going 6-5.

Many in my home state attach their self-images to the fame and fortunes of a college team that serves the purpose of the pro team they don't have. This started around 1946, when OU's Board of Regents decided to beef up the football program in response to John Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath," which inaccurately portrayed Oklahoma as one big, backward dust bowl. Oklahomans, the regents believed, needed something to be proud of.

Steinbeck later admitted his only firsthand knowledge of the state was driving through it once on the way from California to New York. Yet his book inspired many "Oranges of Wrath" -- many Orange Bowl visits for OU, and seven national championships, including the one Stoops won with the 2000 team.

Of course, Steinbeck's book also helped fuel scandal upon OU scandal, from Wilkinson's slush fund to what Barry Switzer called the "rapin', dopin' and shootin'" of players who hastened the fall of his chicken-fried Rome after three national titles.

Am I proud of the corruption? No -- though I shrug off some of the players' misbehavior as the predictable product of teenagers' being idolized as star gladiators. But I have no ivy-covered illusions about my Sooners. I don't need to cling to the Chip Hilton fantasy of student-athletes attending English and history classes on Friday and winning one for Dear Old U on Saturday.

No, I readily accept that many football players consider OU mostly a proving ground for the NFL. If they want to attend classes -- and want to excel academically -- that's great …

… as long as they excel on the field.

To me, they're little more than unpaid pro football players, and it's absurdly unrealistic to expect they can put in the necessary hours on the practice field and in the weight and treatment rooms and still attend every class.

Stoops is already under fire this season -- sitting Peterson won't help.
If you live and die with any of the traditional football powers, and you claim you do care that your players also are dedicated students, you're lying to me or yourself.

I'm offering up the raw truth here.

I'm stripping myself bare of any holier-than-thou sports columnist tendencies and publicly admitting I do root for one team and do not care if its Heisman Trophy candidate recently missed three classes. All that matters to me is that Adrian Peterson is as dedicated a football player, on the practice field and in the weight room, as has ever walked that campus. No Sooner has ever run with such consistent and relentless fury.

If Peterson hadn't turned an ankle, OU almost certainly would have avoided being upset (like my stomach) at home by TCU (which extended that Maalox Moment by losing to SMU the following Saturday). Without Peterson's 220 yards on 32 carries, Stoops would be on the talk-radio hot seat after being devastated at home by Tulsa -- which led 9-7 late in the third quarter.

And now Peterson has fallen victim to a new academic rule ramrodded by Stoops? Where does he think he's coaching, Vanderbilt?

Stoops encouraged the athletic department to decree that if an athlete misses three classes in one subject, he gets a warning. After one more missed class in any subject, he must miss two practices. And after one more missed class in any subject, he must miss a competition.

So one more miss this semester and Stoops' meal ticket misses a game. After Peterson was forced to miss practices on Monday and Tuesday, Stoops wasn't required to further punish him -- or even to announce that Peterson had been disciplined.

Yet Stoops told the media he's considering not starting Peterson at UCLA. So he unnecessarily humiliated his star to what -- motivate him? To defuse potential rumors about his absence from practice?

Or did Stoops seize this opportunity to show that his program is not turning into Switzer's?

In his Wednesday column, the Daily Oklahoman's Berry Tramel posed the polar-opposite question I'm asking. Tramel wondered if Stoops is getting too soft. Tramel basically concluded the answer is no.

But he weighed the evidence: Rhett Bomar, the No. 1 quarterback recruit in the country two years ago, cited for underage drinking the night before he was handed the starting job ahead of the Tulsa game … star defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek being kicked off the team last year after an alcohol-fueled assault, then allowed back this season … two offensive linemen quitting, then recently being allowed to return, then quitting again … and whispers that many players yawned their way through offseason conditioning.

Enough of that stuff will eat away at a Top 10 program's foundation.

Yet Stoops' response has been to crack the class-attendance whip -- to cut off his upturned nose to spite his face.

He and Sooners officials defend their get-tough rules by saying Tennessee and Florida have adopted similar attendance policies. "In the end," Stoops said of his players, "they are here to go to school, and it should be our job as administrators and coaches that if they're not, we can't put [them] on the field."

Please, Bob, enough of the student-athlete hypocrisy. Your job is to win football games, period.

And Stoops mostly has done that. Some schools would give up spring break to have him as their coach.

But the man continues to shake my fickle faith in him because when his teams have been bad, they have been very, very bad. They've lost two games to archrival Oklahoma State, one in Norman and one blowout loss in Stillwater. What was being hailed in 2003 as Oklahoma's "greatest team ever" was annihilated by Kansas State 35-7 in the Big 12 title game, then stunk it up against LSU in the national championship game. And last January, USC's Pete Carroll and Norm Chow coached rings -- championship rings -- around Stoops and his staff in what turned out to be as big a big-game mismatch as college football has ever seen.

For me, USC 55, OU 19 was even more psychologically scarring than Notre Dame 7, OU 0. USC could have scored 100 if it had wanted.

Now this: The early line had Oklahoma favored by 7½ points at UCLA. Now the Sooners are a 6½-point underdog.

Now word out of Norman is that Stoops' staff is split over the offense being run by coordinator Chuck Long -- and that Stoops, a defensive coach, is getting more involved in the offense.

That's scary.

Call me a spoiled rotten OU fan. But the last thing Bob Stoops should be worrying about right now is whether Adrian Peterson attends class.

Skip Bayless can be seen Monday through Friday on "Cold Pizza," ESPN2's morning show, and at 4 p.m. ET on ESPN's "1st & 10." His column appears twice a week on Page 2. You can e-mail Skip here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flagstaffsooner
10/20/2006, 08:05 PM
A confession: I bleed crimson.

OU crimson.

I can't help it. I was born into the University of Oklahoma's football tradition. I grew up in Oklahoma City, and my grandfather took me to my first OU game when I was 5 years old.

Yeah, Skippy, and I wear whorn underwear. What a crock.

Snrfn4ever08
10/20/2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah, Skippy, and I wear whorn underwear. What a crock.
:eek: I knew it all along. :D

Ground_Attack
10/20/2006, 10:25 PM
that article just shows what a hipocrite and moron that Bayless is. I can't believe they actually pay that guy to write/say crap like that!

sanantoniosooner
10/20/2006, 10:27 PM
that article just shows what a hipocrite and moron that Bayless is. I can't believe they actually pay that guy to write/say crap like that!
How many other writers get talked about this much?

OKC-SLC
10/20/2006, 10:37 PM
skip bayless is a sack of ****.

Scott D
10/20/2006, 10:42 PM
you know what I got out of that article....that Skip is the one to blame for ending the 47 game winning streak. :D

Texas Golfer
10/21/2006, 08:58 AM
Skip Brainless can continue to say AD is damaged goods as long as Gil Brandt continues to say that he isn't. Brandt, one of the top NFL talent guys for...well, forever, says that none of AD's injuries will keep him from being one of the top five picks.

SoonerRoads
10/21/2006, 10:16 AM
As for the AD thing, well, none of us truly know what goes on inside the heads of Chief Scouts for the NFL teams. Gil Brandt can say one thing today and do another tomorrow. As much as I dislike Skip Bayless and think he is full of Texas excrement(no way does he bleed crimson and cream), I do believe that the fact that AD has been injured all three seasons he has played at OU and missed games, can't help but be considered when these guys are planning to invest millions of dollars in him. Yet, there will probably be someone among the NFL teams who will be willing to gamble that he won't get hurt and miss games in the NFL and be a difference maker for their team. I think they will try, for economic reasons if nothing else, to try to push him down to the second round using his history of injuries as justification, before they all try to draft him. Some team may not allow that to happen just because of his upside potential. But the fact remains, whether it is his fault or nobodys fault, the kid has been hurt the last 3 years in a row. I just can't help but think that NFL scouts are going to take that into consideration. I wish him the very, very best and I hope that he gets a BIGTIME payday, and I am sure he will, but these are just my thoughts.

tulsaoilerfan
10/21/2006, 01:00 PM
18 Year olds would get KILLED in the NFL; the King said that Earl Campbell, in his opinion, was the only player he saw that could have went from high school to the NFL, and if Switz says it, that's good enough for me

stoopified
10/21/2006, 01:08 PM

NTTAWWT, Skip.Troy IS GAY,Skipper knows that because they have had an on again-off again relationship.

sooneron
10/21/2006, 01:17 PM
I seriously think that if I ever cross paths in the coming months, that I would start some **** with Skip for the crap that he has shoveled onto OU this year, alone.

sanantoniosooner
10/21/2006, 01:20 PM
shove a diet Mt Dew up his anus.

Rocker
10/21/2006, 01:22 PM
I'm sure all the nfl scouts are are listening to skip the idiot.

sanantoniosooner
10/21/2006, 01:25 PM
The thing about threads like this, is it makes us sound like TOSU Luckeyes getting the panty in a wad. He yanks their strings like a puppetmaster.

I'd rather ignore the 'tard.

OU_PhD
10/21/2006, 01:38 PM
my guess is pole...