PDA

View Full Version : Texas Motor Speedway

soonernation
10/19/2006, 10:19 AM
Are any of you hillbillies going to the race on November 6th? I've never been so I'm wondering what to expect. We are camping so if you have any ideas on must bring items help a brotha out. TIA

C&CDean
10/19/2006, 10:20 AM
Uh toilet paper?

soonernation
10/19/2006, 10:25 AM
Uh toilet paper?

Thanks. I would have never thought of that.:rolleyes:

Beef
10/19/2006, 10:25 AM
I haven't camped out in a couple of years, but expect loud generators and louder hillbillies doing some of the dumbest **** you've ever seen. Bring too much of everything. There's a convenience store for ice and stuff, but no alcohol. Have fun. It's a great time.

Oldnslo
10/19/2006, 10:56 AM
King of the Hillbillies, here.

It's an awexome weekend. Bring too much wood for a campfire and also bring too much ice for drinks. Bring too much food, but most importantly, bring way WAY too much to drink. My gang of 5 guys will go through about 7 cases of wonderful TX beer, a quart of Basil Hayden, and maybe a bottle of Captain Morgan as well.

Bring earplugs, too. Them cars are LOUD.

I haven't checked yet... are there dirt track races that weekend? If so, GO! It'll be the best racing you see.

Oh, if you've got a bicycle lying around, that's a great way to get around. Of course, my custom-painted singlespeed got stolen last year, so if you see a white and purple SS that isn't being ridden by a 42 year old Jewboy lawyer, please feel free to beat the **** out of the rider.

TIA.

Oldnslo
10/19/2006, 10:58 AM
Of course, you know to bring beads. It's like New Orleans at Mardi Gras. Except without the floats.

OKLA21FAN
10/19/2006, 11:02 AM
been proudly flying my OU flag(s) at TMS in the Camp Grounds for the past 9 seasons. i would not consider going to a race there and fighting the traffic in and out, gotta love camping at the track.

the camping rules are pretty clear on the TMS website.

BudSooner
10/19/2006, 11:24 AM
Ain't going, but here is the skinny on the finish- 1. Kasey Kahne 2. Kyle Busch 3. Denny Hamlin 4. Bobby Labonte 5. Tony Stewart 6. Dale Jr 7. Jimmie J. 8. Vickers 9. Kurt Busch 10. Jeff Gordon

Boarder
10/19/2006, 11:36 AM
Ain't going, but here is the skinny on the finish- 1. Kasey Kahne 2. Kyle Busch 3. Denny Hamlin 4. Bobby Labonte 5. Tony Stewart 6. Dale Jr 7. Jimmie J. 8. Vickers 9. Kurt Busch 10. Jeff Gordon
That's at about lap 25. After that, JG will be in 36th or so after this week's freak accident/part failure.

soonernation
10/19/2006, 01:05 PM
King of the Hillbillies, here.

It's an awexome weekend. Bring too much wood for a campfire and also bring too much ice for drinks. Bring too much food, but most importantly, bring way WAY too much to drink. My gang of 5 guys will go through about 7 cases of wonderful TX beer, a quart of Basil Hayden, and maybe a bottle of Captain Morgan as well.

Bring earplugs, too. Them cars are LOUD.

I haven't checked yet... are there dirt track races that weekend? If so, GO! It'll be the best racing you see.

Oh, if you've got a bicycle lying around, that's a great way to get around. Of course, my custom-painted singlespeed got stolen last year, so if you see a white and purple SS that isn't being ridden by a 42 year old Jewboy lawyer, please feel free to beat the **** out of the rider.

TIA.

Where do you camp? We are staying in the Victory Circle part of the campground. I looked at the TMS (http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/visitorinfo.aspx?p=Camping) web site and it said no camp fires. Is this a rule that is not enforced? I was not planning on taking any firewood. It would be great if we could. Also I'm attaching a map and pointed out about where we are staying. Do you know how close the showers and the convenience store are?

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7119/mapjq4.jpg

The bicycle idea is a good one. I will absolutely do that.

OKLA21FAN
10/19/2006, 01:23 PM
victory circle row 48, slots 1 and 2

Pretty much on the corner of Harmonson road, and Elliott drive

DISH should be hooked up for the A&M game (if needed)

Oldnslo
10/19/2006, 03:31 PM
If memory and your map serve, we're in the Lone Star area. We'll be in my buddy's RV.

If you'll examine the map closely... those little yellow boxes that have the male/female symbols next to the shower head looking things? That's where the showers are.

Also, if you've got an RV, the shower is inside the RV.

Camp fires? We've never had a problem. I've seen everything from hibachis to the uber metal outdoor fireplace. I think the problem is with folks putting fire on the ground. If it's in a container, there's no problem.

OKLA21FAN
10/19/2006, 03:37 PM
yes, campfires have to be 'off the ground', or the FTW fire dept will get there big bad hose out, and go to work. (and the really get off in doing that)

we use an old kettle grill with the legs taken off, its only about an inch off the ground, but never have any problems with it.

LilSooner
10/19/2006, 04:18 PM
I f'ing hate texas motor speedway. We used to own 2 acres right smack dab in the middle of that damn hideous POS.

There use to be cotton fields and a whole little neighborhood of wonderful people.

Now all there is are a bunch of hillbilles watching a bunch of stupid cars run around a dumb track.

Sorry I know alot of you like that kind of stuff, it just really ****es me off that they ruined that community.

KC//CRIMSON
10/19/2006, 04:24 PM
I've never been to a NASCAR race. I still have too many teeth.

Ba Dum Crash!

soonernation
10/19/2006, 08:34 PM
If you'll examine the map closely... those little yellow boxes that have the male/female symbols next to the shower head looking things? That's where the showers are.

I have examined the map closely and I do know what the "male/female symbols next to the shower head looking things" mean. I'm just not sure if it's 100, 200, 300 or 10,000 yards away. There is no scale on the map.

Also, if you've got an RV, the shower is inside the RV.

Really? Is that what that is? I sure am glad you told me. After all these years I thought it was a swimming pool.:rolleyes:

Camp fires? We've never had a problem. I've seen everything from hibachis to the uber metal outdoor fireplace. I think the problem is with folks putting fire on the ground. If it's in a container, there's no problem.

Finally an answer without a smartass tone. Thanks.

Sooner24
10/19/2006, 08:52 PM
I f'ing hate texas motor speedway. We used to own 2 acres right smack dab in the middle of that damn hideous POS.

There use to be cotton fields and a whole little neighborhood of wonderful people.

Now all there is are a bunch of hillbilles watching a bunch of stupid cars run around a dumb track.

Sorry I know alot of you like that kind of stuff, it just really ****es me off that they ruined that community.

So your entire family is now filthy rich after you sold your land to Ross Perot? :D

Funny thing is the first three or four years, that the track was open, there was this old house sitting right in the middle of the parking lot on the east side of the track. I guess they had one holdout that wouldn't sell.

Sooner24
10/19/2006, 08:56 PM
Are any of you hillbillies going to the race on November 6th? I've never been so I'm wondering what to expect. We are camping so if you have any ideas on must bring items help a brotha out. TIA

To answer the original question, yes I will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We just drive back and forth each day. From the time we get to the car, until we hit the interstate, is 15 minutes or less everytime. Usually less. :D

OKLA21FAN
10/19/2006, 08:58 PM
So your entire family is now filthy rich after you sold your land to Ross Perot? :D

Funny thing is the first three or four years, that the track was open, there was this old house sitting right in the middle of the parking lot on the east side of the track. I guess they had one holdout that wouldn't sell.
i remember that house!

not quite the 'money makey' that 'poor little old lady' made in Arlington this past summer holding out for JerryWorld. but im thinking neither are hurting these days!

Mixer!
10/19/2006, 09:43 PM
I f'ing hate aggy's athletic village. We used to own a house right smack dab in the middle of that damn hideous POS.

There use to be empty lots to play ball in and a whole little neighborhood of wonderful people.

Now all there is is an empty house surrounded by huge piles of dirt and temporary parking lots.

Sorry I know alot of you hate that sh*t, but it just really ****es me off that they ruined that community.:mad:

Oldnslo
10/20/2006, 10:18 AM
Finally an answer without a smartass tone. Thanks.
"Smartass Tone" is what we do here on the SO.

As for scale... Dude, the big tri-oval thingie that the cars go round and round... one lap is a mile and a half.