PDA

View Full Version : Has the vegan fad run its course?

Okla-homey
10/19/2006, 05:05 AM
I'm old and not up on all the hip trends so I must ask the pop-culture mavens of our little digital village:

I don't hear as much about vegetarianism these days -- except among anorexic adolescents. Is it not as cool as it was a couple years ago to be a commited herbivore?

sooner_born_1960
10/19/2006, 07:47 AM
And, based on the lines at the donut shop, I'd say the Atkins BS has run it's course too.

NormanPride
10/19/2006, 08:23 AM
Yeah, there's still people doing it, but it's not as much of a craze anymore. It was too hard to define what WAS vegan. True vegan means nothing that even comes from animals. Or do you drink milk? Or is fish allowed? Maybe chicken because that doesn't really count? Cows are stupid and mean. Let's eat them too... :D See?

The
10/19/2006, 08:33 AM
I think they all died of malnutrition...

MamaMia
10/19/2006, 10:55 AM
I think they all died of malnutrition...
, or spinach poisoning. :P

mdklatt
10/19/2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah, there's still people doing it, but it's not as much of a craze anymore. It was too hard to define what WAS vegan. True vegan means nothing that even comes from animals. Or do you drink milk? Or is fish allowed? Maybe chicken because that doesn't really count? Cows are stupid and mean. Let's eat them too... :D See?

To every "vegetarian" who has ever said, "I only eat fish":

WTF do you think fish is?!

yermom
10/19/2006, 11:39 AM
heh

vegans aren't nearly as loose with their definitions though... they aren't nearly as common as the Atkins people though, and most likely healthier

mdklatt
10/19/2006, 11:48 AM
heh

vegans aren't nearly as loose with their definitions though... they aren't nearly as common as the Atkins people though, and most likely healthier

The Atkins fad officially died the first time KFC ran this commercial:

"Hey, Bob, you're looking pretty good lately!"
"That's because I eat of a lot low-carb fried chicken!"

Or perhaps it was when Carl's Jr. unveiled the their half pound bacon cheeseburger topped with onion rings and served in a lettuce wrap instead of on a bun. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
10/19/2006, 12:10 PM
heh

I beg to differ sir. I have NEVER seen a healthy vegan. The ones I have seen, their skin was pale, they did not have that "healthy glow" about them.. and were constantly fighting off cold type symptoms.

God did not intend for man to rise to the top of the food chain merely to eat rabbit food.

Vaevictis
10/19/2006, 12:16 PM
I've known some healthy vegans. Well, physically healthy anyway.

C&CDean
10/19/2006, 12:40 PM
I know a couple of veg-heads, and one true vegetarian.

All 3 of them are pasty-skinned, anorexic looking, physically weak, and they vote democrat. And like mentioned above, they're constantly on antibiotics for cold/flu like symptoms. None of them are ever smiling, and at the gym they tire very quickly.

Eating Atkins is far and away healthier than eating veg. But Atkins is a "diet" and all "diets" eventually fail because you go off them and gain back all the pounds and a few more for good measure.

Scott D
10/19/2006, 12:52 PM
I'm old and not up on all the hip trends so I must ask the pop-culture mavens of our little digital village:

I don't hear as much about vegetarianism these days -- except among anorexic adolescents. Is it not as cool as it was a couple years ago to be a commited herbivore?

to be fair, Vegans and Vegetarians aren't quite the same thing. That's like saying that Fred Phelps and you are the same type of Christian.