PDA

View Full Version : Austin Box

southern sooner
10/18/2006, 08:30 PM
I appologize if this has been discussed or should be in the rec forum. I am curious what the thoughts are on this kid, is he the real deal, the next Roy Williams? Looks like he is the #1 safety in the country and from what I have read he can bring the pain, similiar to a Ronnie Lott....

Does he come in and start next year?

Thoughts?

instigator
10/18/2006, 08:51 PM
Its a done deal...

TXBOOMER
10/18/2006, 08:53 PM
Looks like a stud on paper. We will have to see.

MiccoMacey
10/18/2006, 08:56 PM
Didn't he dislocate his elbow a few weeks ago? I was thinking against BA?

Ruuuuuufus
10/18/2006, 09:00 PM
From what I've seen it's questionable if he will be a safety once he gets in the program.

ClintonSooner
10/18/2006, 09:15 PM
From what I've seen it's questionable if he will be a safety once he gets in the program.

uhhh info please???

why do you think that?

snp
10/18/2006, 09:26 PM
Some talk about moving Box to OLB.

Yup, left elbow.

badger
10/18/2006, 10:15 PM
ah well, we're fans of players who come back from injuries here at Oklahoma :D

is it a sure thing that OU is getting him? I would cry if another texas player stays in the state of texas :(

;) especially since he's from oklahoma.

mikeelikee
10/18/2006, 10:44 PM
The only reason he won't play safety at OU is if he outgrows the position. He looks like he could easily carry 230-235 pounds.

tommieharris91
10/18/2006, 10:52 PM
You guys make him sound like a college version of Brian Urlacher. Is he that good? And who says he's the #1 safety in the country? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Ash
10/18/2006, 10:59 PM
You guys make him sound like a college version of Brian Urlacher. Is he that good? And who says he's the #1 safety in the country? I haven't seen that anywhere.

If he's a college version of Urlacher he'll not only play safety, he'll line up at WR and return kicks as well.

:eek:

snp
10/19/2006, 12:04 AM

Where in the thread did all of us come to a concensus about him being great? Reading is good.

Also, I don't know who says that. Maybe one of the two recruiting ranking services? That'd be a good place to start.

tommieharris91
10/19/2006, 01:16 AM
Where in the thread did all of us come to a concensus about him being great? Reading is good.

Also, I don't know who says that. Maybe one of the two recruiting ranking services? That'd be a good place to start.

Hmmm... #1 safety in the country (Rivals has Box as #3 OLB prospect right now, still pretty good), weight will increase to 230 without him losing a step, comparisons to Roy Williams...

Desert Sapper
10/19/2006, 02:10 AM
Hmmm... #1 safety in the country (Rivals has Box as #3 OLB prospect right now, still pretty good), weight will increase to 230 without him losing a step, comparisons to Roy Williams...

Scout has him listed as the #1 Safety in the country. Link (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=2340248)

fadada1
10/19/2006, 06:08 AM
If he's a college version of Urlacher he'll not only play safety, he'll line up at WR and return kicks as well.

can he play "offensive coordinator" as well???

Ash
10/19/2006, 07:38 AM
can he play "offensive coordinator" as well???

Give him a headset and let's find out. ;)

StoopTroup
10/19/2006, 08:10 AM
I like this about the kid...

Box reports a 3.7 core GPA/23 ACT/no plans to take SAT. Box: “I’ve been playing football ever since I can remember,” Box said. “I like to think I have good instincts and a nose for the ball on the defensive side. This summer I plan to work on my speed more. Speed is always something the colleges are looking at.”

OU4LIFE
10/19/2006, 08:26 AM

and it's in a cast, and they came to Stillwater last week and I got to go see him play. Best player on the field, even in an arm cast.

Kid looks like the real deal, but lots of things change in the transition from HS to U. His upside is huge.

angelosooner
10/19/2006, 08:39 AM
He is a stud and was hurt in the Union game.

Ruuuuuufus
10/19/2006, 09:38 AM
You guys make him sound like a college version of Brian Urlacher.

I would say right now he's the high school version of Ryan Reynolds, in measurables at least. That's what makes many think he'll be an OLB in college.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2006, 09:45 AM
i think nick is a tribble

OklahomaTuba
10/19/2006, 11:08 AM
Don't be hate'n on tribbles now.

StoopTroup
10/19/2006, 11:16 AM
Don't be hate'n on tribbles now.

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~watty/tcz/picz/tos/tribble.jpg

Fixed...:D

:pop:

MikeInNorman
10/19/2006, 11:41 AM
I think he'll be a big time player at LB for OU.

However, when Enid played Norman High, he wasn't the best player on the field. Ryan Broyles was.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/19/2006, 11:49 AM
I heard when Austin was in grade school a man tried to sneak up behind him and steal his lunchbox....that man? Stephen Hawking.

Echoes
10/19/2006, 02:29 PM
Ok guys, I will give you the scoop on Box. I live in Enid, and am good friends with him, hes a couple years younger then me, but we have hung out many times outside of just the football stadium, so it is fair to say I can judge his charachter as well as his football skills.

Here is the lowdown.

First and most important, hes a good kid. There wont be a exodus with him. He won't cause trouble. His family is all very very smart (Lawyers, etc etc) and so is he. He has a head on his shoulders, he will make the grades and be there for the time.

Second, he is an athelete. He could play baseball at OU to if he wants, he has the option. For that matter, he could probably play tennis, rugby, and polo too. He is that good. He actually might be better at baseball, its really close. The kid can crush the ball and he is a hell of a left fielder.

Third, is his football talent. I'm guessing I have saw Box play about 20-25 football games, and 50 or 60 baseball games at least, so I would consider myself a fair judge of his talent. On the football field, he is everything he is hyped up to be. He is good at offense, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he belongs there. Defense is where he shines. He can read the field incredibly well. He hits hard, real hard. His explosion to the ball is one of the quickest I have witnessed in football.

I would say his best football attribute is the ability to read the field, and thats something very very hard to teach. In all the games I have seen Box play, I beleive I saw him beat just once, and I think it was Reggie Smith who did it.

About his position he will play. The consensus around Enid is that he will go and play as a linebacker. Personally, I think its a bad idea. Yes, he will put on weight and be big and he will do great at linebacker. His size and strength will definetly be in place. But to me, I just think he would fully develop better at a safety position. We will just have to see where he ends up.

OU4LIFE
10/19/2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah, but have you seen him play?

OklahomaRed
10/19/2006, 02:34 PM
Can we change his first name to Norman? :D

Echoes
10/19/2006, 02:34 PM
saw, seen, whatever lol. My brain is fried from so much school :( :(

MikeInNorman
10/19/2006, 02:38 PM
In all the games I have seen Box play, I beleive I saw him beat just once, and I think it was Reggie Smith who did it.

So you DIDN'T see Enid play Norman High? ;)

Echoes
10/19/2006, 02:45 PM
No, I don't live in Enid anymore, so I barely get to catch games now. I heard he had the worst game of his career though.

MikeInNorman
10/19/2006, 04:00 PM
It wasn't so much that Box was bad as it was that Broyles was good.

mdklatt
10/19/2006, 04:20 PM
You can be pretty sure that anybody named Austin Box isn't going to be clean-shaven.

OU-HSV
10/19/2006, 05:54 PM
It wasn't against B.A. it was against whoever they played the week before B.A. I was going go to the B.A. game to see him play, but they said he wasn't gonna play because of the injury, so I stayed home.

goingoneight
10/19/2006, 10:10 PM
If he's a version of Reggie he'll not only play safety, he'll line up at WR and return kicks as well.

:D

badger
8/13/2008, 09:29 AM
I assume you've all heard this. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080813_92_NORM628386)

BillyBall
8/13/2008, 09:36 AM
That sucks, he has been battling injuries.

htownsooner7
8/13/2008, 09:57 AM
I wonder what kind of surgery would have him back in playing condition for the second week.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/13/2008, 10:22 AM
I wonder what kind of surgery would have him back in playing condition for the second week.

Now I'm just pulling this out of my arse, but I would guess some sort of minor arthroscopic procedure to scrape out a small piece of cartilage.

But after reading the article, who really knows?

Jason White's Third Knee
8/13/2008, 04:37 PM
You can be pretty sure that anybody named Austin Box isn't going to be clean-shaven.

This post needs a bump.

GREEN SKEP!

starclassic tama
8/13/2008, 05:42 PM
ah well, we're fans of players who come back from injuries here at Oklahoma :D

is it a sure thing that OU is getting him? I would cry if another texas player stays in the state of texas :(

;) especially since he's from oklahoma.

what does this post even mean?

i can't believe it