PDA

View Full Version : The NRA, a right wing organization

Jerk
10/18/2006, 05:24 PM
Just sent me their official election issue magazine.

They want Oklahomans to vote for the following canidates:

Brad Henry
Drew Edmondson
Dan Boren
8 State senators who are Democrats
32 State House members who are Democrats

WTF is going on here?

GottaHavePride
10/18/2006, 05:29 PM
I think of the NRA less as right-wing and more as "pro-gun". Maybe all those people face opponents that have less-favorable stances toward gun ownership?

SicEmBaylor
10/18/2006, 05:30 PM
Just sent me their official election issue magazine.

They want Oklahomans to vote for the following canidates:

Brad Henry
Drew Edmondson
Dan Boren
8 State senators who are Democrats
32 State House members who are Democrats

WTF is going on here?

Well, let's say for example that you have a Democratic candidate and a Republican candidate who are equally friendly toward gun ownership. If one is an incumbent it's highly unlikely they'd endorse an opponet especially if that opponet has zero chance to win. The NRA afterall is in the business of lobbying and in order to do so effectively you have to have a relationship with actual elected officials.

One important thing to look at is the NRA rating in addition to the endorsements.

1stTimeCaller
10/18/2006, 05:33 PM
I'm gonna go with GHP on this one. Also, IMO, State Ds and Rs aren't that different on the issues that I care about.

The NRA would be considered a left wing organization if the DNC was pro-gun and the RNC was anti gun.

Jerk
10/18/2006, 05:35 PM
The NRA would be considered a left wing organization if the DNC was pro-gun and the RNC was anti gun.

I never thought about it that way. Spek to you.

GottaHavePride
10/18/2006, 05:49 PM
I think of the NRA less as right-wing and more as "pro-gun". Maybe all those people face opponents that have less-favorable stances toward gun ownership?

Hell. There went #17,000.

Jerk
10/18/2006, 05:54 PM
Hell. There went #17,000.

Don't blame me...wasn't my fault.

Okla-homey
10/18/2006, 06:05 PM
I happen to know Rep Jerry Ellis (D-Valiant) is just about as pro-gun as a man can be -- w/o being a serial killer. If I lived in SE OK and could vote for him, I would.

He's the guy who sponsored the state legislation which makes private "no guns on my land" policies illegal in Oklahoma.

Just saying.

GottaHavePride
10/18/2006, 06:06 PM
Don't blame me...wasn't my fault.

Heh. I just wasn't paying attention. ;)

Stoop Dawg
10/18/2006, 06:44 PM
I never thought about it

That's not surprising.

SicEmBaylor
10/18/2006, 06:52 PM
There's also a Democratic state legislator (forgot who) that has sponsored a bill to arm teachers in schools. Of course it's doomed but...

The thing is, when I was back in HS when we had all of those school shootings around the country I kept telling everyone that teachers should be armed. I figured if each teacher had a firearm very very well secured within their own classrooms then it would go a long way toward saving lives.

So, he's a Democrat that I would definitely vote for in a heartbeat if I were voting on that issue.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/18/2006, 07:06 PM
I can't think of any Repubs that are opposed to the second amendment, but there are LOTS of dims that are.

SicEmBaylor
10/18/2006, 07:13 PM
I can't think of any Repubs that are opposed to the second amendment, but there are LOTS of dims that are.

Have you never met a New England Republican??

10/18/2006, 08:21 PM
Have you never met a New England Republican??Ah, yes, the RINOS. I've seen them on the televis.

1stTimeCaller
10/18/2006, 08:29 PM
Serious ? here William. Do you believe in/agree with every one of the RNC's platform/opinions/ideas?

olevetonahill
10/18/2006, 08:46 PM
Serious ? here William. Do you believe in/agree with every one of the RNC's platform/opinions/ideas?
I don't .I usually vote with the NRA . Like GHP said, its more pro gun than party
Yea i know Im old, but when Don Nichols ran for senate the only question i asked when i met him was how do you stand on gun control? I donated heavily to his campaign, and placed signs as much as i could ;)

Jerk
10/18/2006, 09:18 PM
That's not surprising.

Ouch!

LOL!

Come one. You can do better than that.

yermom
10/18/2006, 10:10 PM
it's not that they are pro-gun, they just want the terrorists to have them ;)

1stTimeCaller
10/18/2006, 10:22 PM
I don't .I usually vote with the NRA . Like GHP said, its more pro gun than party
Yea i know Im old, but when Don Nichols ran for senate the only question i asked when i met him was how do you stand on gun control? I donated heavily to his campaign, and placed signs as much as i could ;)

I'm pretty much the same kind of voter.

I was a kid and didn't know anymore about politics than what my dad had told me and that was 'Republicnas tax ans save wheras Democrats tax and spend'. But anyhoo, as a kid, if I passed out one wooden Nickle (Don Nickles) I handed out a thousand of them for him.

Stoop Dawg
10/18/2006, 11:07 PM
Come one.

I rest my case.

Stoop Dawg
10/18/2006, 11:08 PM

You have to admit, it's easier than forming your own.

10/19/2006, 12:44 AM
Which ones do you believe in/agree with, silly guy?

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/19/2006, 12:55 AM
You are an idiot if you vote because of the D or the R at the end of the candidate. I agree with Matt Stone and Trey Parker about voting, vote if you are informed, if not don't bother no matter how important people tell you it is.

Vaevictis
10/19/2006, 09:34 PM
The thing is, when I was back in HS when we had all of those school shootings around the country I kept telling everyone that teachers should be armed.

Interestingly enough, related to that subject:

http://www.koco.com/news/10105982/detail.html

Bill Crozier, a Union City Republican going against incumbent Democrat Sandy Garrett, said he believes old textbooks could be used to stop bullets shot from weapons wielded by school intruders.

Crozier's experiment began with shots fired at a calculus textbook from an AK-47 Russian-style assault rifle. The shot penetrated two textbooks at once.

However, when the shooters took aim at textbooks with handguns, the books stopped bullets. Crozier said he acknowledges his idea might seem a bit unusual, but he's sticking with it.

That's pretty clever, actually.

SicEmBaylor
10/19/2006, 09:48 PM
Interestingly enough, related to that subject:

http://www.koco.com/news/10105982/detail.html

That's pretty clever, actually.

That actually happened. When I was a Junior in HS we had a shooting at our middle school and one of the kids was saved because the bullet entered his text book and lodged there. Of course I think it was a 9mm and definitely not shot from an AK-47 but still.

1stTimeCaller
10/19/2006, 09:53 PM
Which ones do you believe in/agree with, silly guy?

way to answer the question dip****. I was being serious.

I agree with the RNC's stance on firearms, the DNC's stance on personal freedoms and treating gay people like people not second class citizens and I liked the idea of fiscal responsibility the Republican party used to stand for.

I could go on and will if you ask a specific question.

Will you please answer mine. I don't mind waiting for you to email Rush so you can ask him what your thoughts are on this matter. Lemming.

10/19/2006, 11:27 PM
way to answer the question dip****. I was being serious.

I agree with the RNC's stance on firearms, the DNC's stance on personal freedoms and treating gay people like people not second class citizens and I liked the idea of fiscal responsibility the Republican party used to stand for.

I could go on and will if you ask a specific question.

Will you please answer mine. I don't mind waiting for you to email Rush so you can ask him what your thoughts are on this matter. Lemming.Da*n you're clever! You guys can't go hardly any time without insulting those with whom you disagree.

1stTimeCaller
10/19/2006, 11:30 PM
nice answer

OCUDad
10/19/2006, 11:33 PM
Da*n you're clever! You guys can't go hardly any time without insulting those with whom you disagree.I have to believe the irony of that reply is completely lost on you, willie. Silly guy.

10/19/2006, 11:44 PM
I have to believe the irony of that reply is completely lost on you, willie. Silly guy.Oh yes. next

yermom
10/19/2006, 11:58 PM
so you don't have an answer?

10/20/2006, 12:26 AM
so you don't have an answer?If you're talking to me, I think SicEm's post #3 is the right answer.

Vaevictis
10/20/2006, 01:34 AM
So basically what he's saying is: he forgot what the question was.

10/20/2006, 01:41 AM
So basically what he's saying is: he forgot what the question was.What he's saying is YOU forgot what the question was- it's whether the NRA is republican or dim. It's only a defender of the second amendment, as I see it.

SicEmBaylor
10/20/2006, 01:43 AM
Who's on 2nd?
What's on 3rd?

Vaevictis
10/20/2006, 02:05 AM
What he's saying is YOU forgot what the question was- it's whether the NRA is republican or dim. It's only a defender of the second amendment, as I see it.

Really? The question I believe he was referring to was the following:

Have you never met a New England Republican??

Ah, yes, the RINOS. I've seen them on the televis.

I don't recall seeing anyone ask for your opinion on whether the NRA was Democratic or Republican.

10/20/2006, 02:09 AM
Really? The question I believe he was referring to was the following:Does either one of us know what every idea is that espoused by the Republican party?. I treated the question as frivolous, because I believe it is.

Vaevictis
10/20/2006, 02:16 AM
If you want to make it less frivolous, I think that he was curious as to what qualifies one as a RINO.

For example, if disregarding the fiscal conservatism thing is sufficient, just about every Republican in Congress and the White House is a RINO.

10/20/2006, 09:15 AM
If you want to make it less frivolous, I think that he was curious as to what qualifies one as a RINO.

For example, if disregarding the fiscal conservatism thing is sufficient, just about every Republican in Congress and the White House is a RINO.Good point. The "cut and run" gang, and campaign finance reform supporters are other indicators of RINOS too, as are the anti-second amendment crowd. The republican revolution that Newt Gingrich ushered in, 1994, has been greatly watered down, but the alternative shows very few positives-almost no indicators of hope for those other guys.

1stTimeCaller
10/20/2006, 09:16 AM
here's the third grade version of my question as the original question I asked William Favor seems to be too difficult.

William, what is the definition of a RINO? I first heard this term on this board a few months ago and I found out that it was Republican In Name Only. What are the qualities lacking/ things not followed/ RNC ideal not followed that makes a person a RINO?

10/20/2006, 09:19 AM
here's the third grade version of my question as the original question I asked William Favor seems to be too difficult.

William, what is the definition of a RINO? I first heard this term on this board a few months ago and I found out that it was Republican In Name Only. What are the qualities lacking/ things not followed/ RNC ideal not followed that makes a person a RINO?Glad you graduated from the first grade question. See above post for answer.

1stTimeCaller
10/20/2006, 09:22 AM
I guess a RINO would be someone with the ability to comprehend the written word and the ability to answer questions in a straigh-forward manner.

Congrats Billy, you would never be accused of being a RINO. Just a lemming.

10/20/2006, 09:27 AM
I guess a RINO would be someone with the ability to comprehend the written word and the ability to answer questions in a straigh-forward manner.

Congrats Billy, you would never be accused of being a RINO. Just a lemming.There ya go with that name calling again.

1stTimeCaller
10/20/2006, 09:30 AM
I guess you can read. You should do it more often.

King Crimson
10/20/2006, 09:37 AM
There ya go with that name calling again.

and you are innocent of that? i believe you called me a commie once. or, at minimum, it's not like you use "dims" or liberal as anything but a scapegoating pejorative.....when you (usually) lack any argument of your own.

10/20/2006, 10:13 AM
and you are innocent of that? i believe you called me a commie once. or, at minimum, it's not like you use "dims" or liberal as anything but a scapegoating pejorative..... One would think you would be flattered.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/20/2006, 10:48 AM
RINO = Any Republican who thinks for themselve on any issue!

49r
10/20/2006, 04:14 PM
...add a few crazy animated smiley faces to each and every post and I'd swear it's dbhuge back again...

Vaevictis
10/20/2006, 04:24 PM

Both of the political parties are eating their own over this type of thing these days. See Lieberman, for example.

SicEmBaylor
10/20/2006, 05:12 PM

To be fair, DINOs are labeled as such for doing the same thing when their conclusions are more conservative than the party line.

I'm not sure why exactly that anytime someone in the GOP has a more progressive view point it's considered "thinking for themselves" but when a Democrat has a more conservative opinion they are labeled a traitor to the party and a DINO.

In general I have found that it seems the only way a person can be accused of "thinking for themselves" is when they think progressively. Personally, I do think for myself to such an extent it has totally alienated me from the Republican Party becuase they have not or no longer support the issues that are most important to me politically...

Limited government, dual sovereignty, fiscal responsibility, a pragmatic foreign policy, etc.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/20/2006, 06:04 PM
A) Thinking for yourself doesn't always make you right and if the left was smart they would come up with a clever little way of talking about their more centrist dims!! DINO isn't bad but sounds too cute

10/20/2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure why exactly that anytime someone in the GOP has a more progressive view point it's considered "thinking for themselves"...

In general I have found that it seems the only way a person can be accused of "thinking for themselves" is when they think progressively. It's because, in the minds of "progressives", your political beliefs are correct only if you agree with them. If you don't, you are simply WRONG and are to be denounced as not thinking for yourself. It's the lefties that are doing the judging, and you are apparently making your observation based on what they say.

1stTimeCaller
10/20/2006, 08:28 PM
wait a minute, I thought you were a Republican, Willie. Now by your definition you just labeled yourself a "progressive". What gives?

SicEmBaylor
10/20/2006, 08:39 PM
wait a minute, I thought you were a Republican, Willie. Now by your definition you just labeled yourself a "progressive". What gives?

Republicans are progressive.

Surely you have to consider the idea of spreading democracy around the world to be "progressive" (since it used to be a cornerstone of liberal foreign policy doctrine).

Isn't out of control defecit spending on outrageously expensive government mandates and newly created social programs progressive (NCLB, medicare drug coverage, faith based initiative, etc.)?

Isn't not letting a little thing like the constitutional seperation of powers between the state and central government get in the way of the central government practicing social engineering considered "progressive" (gay marriage, drug laws, assisted suicide, etc.)?

Please...it's just different words to the same g-damned tune.