PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Superman" fans at games . . .

OK2LA
10/18/2006, 12:14 PM
I searched high and low on here for a thread about this, and couldn't find it.

I've noticed in the past two - maybe 3 years that many people are dressed in white t-shirts with what looks like a Superman "S" stenciled in spray paint across their chests. Many wearing capes, and headbands w/ old school aviators on. Many times when they get face time on camera, they outstretch their arms "flying" magically through the air all the while standing in place - eerily similar to how I did it when I was 5. Many have done the crowd surfing thing in this same position - "flying" through the crowd.

Is this, or was this in tribute to Adrian?

Is this a new student group? Are they trying to compete with the Ruf Neks? Are they part of a fraternity or something?

Please let me know - if you know. I wanna know who I am making fun of when they put these guys on camera next time.

Regards.

GrapevineSooner
10/18/2006, 12:17 PM
Is this, or was this in tribute to Adrian?

I'm guessing it's because of AD.

OklahomaRed
10/18/2006, 01:00 PM
:confused: Didn't the guy they put on camera during the ISU game say it was a student group and it stood for something like "super Sooner fans" (or something like that)?

Boomer.....
10/18/2006, 01:05 PM
From what I know, they are a bunch of students which are called the Sooner Superfans or something like that. It started with a few of them but grew larger through the years. I think that they have only been around 2 or 3 years. I don't think that it is a tribute to AD. They are known for their shirts, capes, and aviator sunglasses.

OUTromBoNado
10/18/2006, 01:05 PM
I thought they did it before AD was here. I might be wrong on that.

start8
10/18/2006, 01:23 PM
I always thought the S was for Stoops...guess not! I like it...major props to any group of students that line up at the gates early enough to be up front.

PrideTuba
10/18/2006, 01:29 PM
they are the soonermen and they are from metropolis, I dont think any of it is for AD I think its just students being fans of the team.

n8v_ndn
10/18/2006, 02:01 PM
don't they also have the UNLEASH THE FURY sign? That always cracks me up...

LosAngelesSooner
10/18/2006, 02:02 PM
I heard that they were originally the ATOs after they got kicked off campus.

No?

NormanPride
10/18/2006, 02:11 PM
From the Transcript (http://www.normantranscript.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_252010332):

In the midst of a sea of Sooner red, capes, face paint and undeniable spirit separate the student fan boys from the men -- the Soonermen.

A group of University of Oklahoma students from the fraternity Beta Upsilon Chi (Brothers Under Christ), the Soonermen led the student section with their distinctive costumes and cheers at football games for the past two seasons. This season marks the group's third season of wearing capes and white shirts with a red Superman logo to games.

While the group's members prefer anonymity, they said first-year members can be distinguished by white capes, while older members who attended all home games and an away game have red capes.

One second-year member said there are about 25 to 30 Soonermen at any given home game.

"A bunch of guys decided that they wanted to dress up at games and be crazy," he said.

Another member, who was at his first game as a Soonerman, said he pledged the fraternity partly to participate in games with the group.

"Last year, I was a pledge (to Brothers Under Christ) and waited to get my turn," he said. "I love it. It's well worth the wait."

A third-year member said while all of their costumes include the capes and shirts, some have wigs, hats or other articles to make them unique.

"We all do our own thing," he said. "The cape probably took five minutes, the shirt another five. Guys will add onto their uniforms every game. I've kept this basic costume the past two years."

While you won't see them leap Owen Field at a single bound, it is tradition to have one "fly" after touchdowns by lifting him and passing him around.

"We pray before each game," one third-year member noted. "A lot of it is about being a good-hearted fan. You go crazy, go nuts and do it the right way."

While the Sooners went without a Bowl Championship Series bowl and Big 12 championship last year, disappointing some, the Soonermen said they're a group the team can count on.

"Look at the (2004) national championship," said a third-year member. "We stayed until the clock said zero at the Orange Bowl.

"We love the Sooners, win or lose. We're not fair-weather fans."

While these mild-mannered students may blend in around campus, come Saturday, these super fans will appear again to savor the day.

"I cannot see myself coming to a game and not being a Soonerman," he said. "You really get into it. It definitely brings a whole new aspect to the game."

C&CDean
10/18/2006, 02:31 PM
Oh hell. They said "Christ." Now I probably need to move this to the South Oval so the resident atheists, haters, liberals, and losers can bash them for not separating church and state or for being stupid enough to actually believe in Christ.

And for the record, I like them. A helluvalot more than the horse pig.

OK2LA
10/18/2006, 02:32 PM
From the Transcript (http://www.normantranscript.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_252010332):

Thanks for the info.

Damn - Now feel a little guilty for making fun of them - seem like good guys with a good underlying concept and the right attitude. The "Superman" thing seemed a little. . . . well . . . anyway. I guess I'll go back not opening my mouth anymore.

Carry on.

NormanPride
10/18/2006, 02:39 PM
They're definitely goofy, but I like them. Nothing wrong with showing goofy spirit as a student at the game. As long as you KNOW you're goofy. If you're goofy but don't know it... bad juju.

And Dean's just jealous because they get to wear the cool capes. :D

C&CDean
10/18/2006, 02:41 PM
As opposed to my really uncool cape.

TopDawg
10/18/2006, 02:59 PM
seem like good guys with a good underlying concept and the right attitude.

They are. I know several of them personally and they are a really good group of guys who just want to make the student section a crazier place to be. I hope that you begin to see their influence at basketball games this year.

NormanPride
10/18/2006, 03:17 PM
As opposed to my really uncool cape.

Hey, you said it. Not me.

imjebus
10/18/2006, 03:19 PM
Oh hell. They said "Christ." Now I probably need to move this to the South Oval so the resident atheists, haters, liberals, and losers can bash them for not separating church and state or for being stupid enough to actually believe in Christ.

Which begs the question, does the horse pig believe in god? Cause if he does then I don't like him. If he doesn't then I still don't like him.. :rolleyes:

OUmillenium
10/18/2006, 03:33 PM
Jenks has had a similar group called simply "Superfans" for a good 3+ years. There moniker is a lime green T-shirt with the Superman S on it. Word on the street is that the streaker at the Jenks-Onion football game was a sophomore who was promised a spot with the Superfans if he did indeed streak the length of the field. He did and has been expelled. Criminal charges filed, he may wind up a registered sex-offender. Hope the OU superfans keep it a bit cleaner.

LosAngelesSooner
10/18/2006, 03:50 PM

And for the record, I like them. A helluvalot more than the horse pig. I like 'em a lot too. Never understood why they caught so much flak on the boards. I love it when they do the flying thingy. Reminds me a bit of the Irish fans doing the "crowd pushups." We need MORE fans like them IMHO.

As for separation of Church and State...I don't see how that would be relevant at all here. I mean...they're a private organization. More power too 'em. And last I checked, Liberals don't have anything against Christ. In fact...some would argue that they hold truer to Christ's beliefs than the Conservatives. ;) ;) ;) (just ribbin' ya)

And I got nuttin' against Christ at all. Now...that JESUS fellah...he and me...we's got sum ishues. ;)

Harry Beanbag
10/18/2006, 04:03 PM
Which begs the question, does the horse pig believe in god? Cause if he does then I don't like him. If he doesn't then I still don't like him.. :rolleyes:

Since the horse pig is the anti-Christ, I'm guessing it does believe in God.

Fraggle145
10/18/2006, 04:03 PM
...A helluvalot more than the horse pig.

Personally I think they are kinda ghey. JMHO. And notice they have been around for 2-3 yrs about the same time as the horsepigs conception. I think they are in league to bring us to college football hell.

:eek:

sooner KB
10/18/2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

Damn - Now feel a little guilty for making fun of them - seem like good guys with a good underlying concept and the right attitude. The "Superman" thing seemed a little. . . . well . . . anyway. I guess I'll go back not opening my mouth anymore.

Carry on.

Don't feel guilty for making fun of someone because they are "good christians." I'm no atheist "hater" like Dean would probably think, but I do get tired of the idea that just because people belong to a certain christian club on campus they are on some kind of "moral highground" and shouldn't be criticized or made fun of because they are "good" people. They are no better people than they would be if they were simply doing it on behalf of a frat.

And besides, it's not like they even said they were "doing it for Christ." They are doing it to "act crazy" and they happen to belong to a pseudo-fraternity called "Brothers Under Christ."

And before you negspek me, just remember it was Dean, not me, that opened that can of worms. And what the hell does if have to do with seperation of church and state? It seems like some people are just totally desperate to inject politics into things to "get at" a certain group of people.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2006, 04:48 PM
feed the horsepigs spinach

GottaHavePride
10/18/2006, 05:28 PM
Oh, and yes, they have both the "unleash the fury" and "dang!" signs.

TopDawg
10/18/2006, 05:44 PM
Speaking of signs at the games, how about the creativity of the students at the last one?

All_Day_28
10/18/2006, 06:09 PM
they are the soonermen and they are from metropolis, I dont think any of it is for AD I think its just students being fans of the team.
this is correct

Ruuuuuufus
10/18/2006, 07:02 PM
uh.. are these the same guys that were protesting bike riders the other day?

StoopTroup
10/18/2006, 07:59 PM
Matadors use a cape.

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~morrowj/Picpage/Bevo,%20aka%20Jeff.jpg

I'm jus sayin' ;)

C&CDean
10/18/2006, 08:38 PM
Don't feel guilty for making fun of someone because they are "good christians." I'm no atheist "hater" like Dean would probably think, but I do get tired of the idea that just because people belong to a certain christian club on campus they are on some kind of "moral highground" and shouldn't be criticized or made fun of because they are "good" people. They are no better people than they would be if they were simply doing it on behalf of a frat.

And besides, it's not like they even said they were "doing it for Christ." They are doing it to "act crazy" and they happen to belong to a pseudo-fraternity called "Brothers Under Christ."

And before you negspek me, just remember it was Dean, not me, that opened that can of worms. And what the hell does if have to do with seperation of church and state? It seems like some people are just totally desperate to inject politics into things to "get at" a certain group of people.

So, what you're saying is you're a no-account, no-life havin', quite possibly gay liberal? I'm cool with that. Whatever floats your little watercraft.

LosAngelesSooner
10/18/2006, 08:42 PM
He means "BOAT", KB

tbl
10/18/2006, 10:17 PM
I've liked them since I first saw them. I had no idea they were believers until I read this thread. The crowd surfing deal is pretty cool. Plus, you gotta appreciate their die-hardedness. I can't imagine staying at that OB loss to the end of the game. I'm sure there are people here that did, but I couldn't have done it.

Spek to the Soonermen.

badger
10/18/2006, 10:22 PM
oh, and as of last home game, there are now sooner women wearing pink shirts and pink capes.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/18/2006, 10:53 PM

Yeah, as long as they aren't trying to start the damn wave while we are offense and it's third freaking down!!

tommieharris91
10/18/2006, 11:05 PM
I know one in a class I'm in right now. He's a pretty cool guy. He says they do it just to have some fun at the games. I've never sat around him or his brothers at a game, so I know nothing of his shenanigans. He and some of his people did go to the Oregon game though...

OUMallen
10/18/2006, 11:13 PM
I think they are a riot. They do more as fans than 99% of everyone else in there. They also ride bicycles down Lindsey St by all the tailgates screaming Boomer Sooner befoer they get to the stadium hours in advance.

LosAngelesSooner
10/18/2006, 11:31 PM
And they ARE getting a ton of press on the TV...

StoopTroup
10/19/2006, 08:39 AM
feed the horsepigs spinach
Good Idea...lol

MamaMia
10/19/2006, 08:58 AM

:D Me too.

OK2LA
10/19/2006, 12:36 PM
Don't feel guilty for making fun of someone because they are "good christians."

It's kinda difficult for me to do that as a God fearing man. You do make a good point though. I think I will continue to make fun of them, I just won't yell it anymore . . . I will use my indoor voice, and I will not call them faigs anymore.

Just for the record - I do think that they are goofy. But then again, I thought the Ruf Neks were goofy as well. When I was a kid, I wanted to be one(ruf nek) SOOOOOO bad. Then I went to OU, and I don't know if it was a bad year for them, or what, but the guys that were Ruf Neks rubbed me the wrong way. I was embarassed that I wanted to be part of that group. (I think that lots of kids probably think that they're cool . . . . . but then again - they think that the horsepigs are cool too - huuuummmm)

I guess that in order to be considered a good "spirit" group, you need some sort of hook. Ruf Neks have that red shirt/white jeans thing going - but hell - they get shotguns too. I don't know how many times I've been skeeered shiotless :eek: when one of those things goes off at the end of the 1st quarter (when we haven't scored) I get kinda pizzed too. "Damnit! They got me again!"

I guess the Supermen NEEDED capes . . .

Then again - I'm not nearly as cool as I think I am either, so hell - who am I to think that these guys are goofy. :confused:

handcrafted
10/19/2006, 02:14 PM
Matadors use a cape.

I'm jus sayin' ;)

Stop posting that picture of Lid, k? It turns my stomach. :D

OKC-SLC
10/19/2006, 06:25 PM
This originally only moderately witty post has been changed because I read the rest of the thread.

Good day.