PDA

View Full Version : 2007 QB

ADs_Agent
10/18/2006, 11:21 AM
do the Sooners allow Bradford to take the helm, Halzle play a season, or do we get another juco guy, or do we pick up the best 5 star QB in the nation?

BIG_IKE
10/18/2006, 11:40 AM
John Chiles is looking GREAT....Texas will lose him if they keep recruiting QB's. Go to Youtube and check him out. I'd get him, but that doesnt mean Stoops feels the same way I do.

ADs_Agent
10/18/2006, 11:47 AM
best part about our QB situation is Stoops can walk into any 5 star QB's house and say, how'd you like to play QB for a top 5 team in the nation from day one?

Partial Qualifier
10/18/2006, 11:58 AM
Juco route needs to be thoroughly fleshed out. It'd be really nice if we had a guy who wasn't playing with/against college talent for the first time ever..

poke4christ
10/18/2006, 12:08 PM
A national power rarely gives chances to true freshman to play. That makes it very easy for OU to recruit a top QB talent. I think they'll go with recruiting a big time QB freshman, however that will also more than likely mean a lot of struggling next year. Ad to that not having peterson and that might create some issues.

However, loosing peterson (though bad for this year) will actually help OU next year. As it was, the backups would have had virtually no experience. Peterson had been taking almost every snap. Now OU will have a running back who is decently experienced next year.

Zach

Pricetag
10/18/2006, 12:15 PM
Ad to that not having peterson and that might create some issues.
Pun! Pun!

snp
10/18/2006, 12:26 PM
best part about our QB situation is Stoops can walk into any 5 star QB's house and say, how'd you like to play QB for a top 5 team in the nation from day one?

Um, that's not really working so well for us right now.

oufan1
10/18/2006, 12:30 PM
A national power rarely gives chances to true freshman to play.
Yeah everytime Im thinking "What would a national power do?" I think man I wish I knew someone from stillwater to let me know.:rolleyes:

KYHonorarySooner
10/18/2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah everytime Im thinking "What would a national power do?" I think man I wish I knew someone from STOOLWATER to let me know.:rolleyes:

fixed :D

SoonerSinger3
10/18/2006, 12:57 PM
Halzle will be the starter for next year. He is very skilled, he just hasn't had enough time to grasp the offense. By next season he should be a whole lot more advanced in what he's doing. I don't want another Redshirt Freshman(Bradford) starting for us like Bomar's dumb ***. Bradford is okay, but he isn't ready yet.

TrophyCollector
10/18/2006, 02:07 PM

He can???

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2006, 02:25 PM
Does Chip Ambres have any eligibility left?

caphorns
10/18/2006, 02:45 PM
He can???

If he has an in-home left ;)

The only 5-star left on Bob's radar is John Brantley. You never know but Brantley's been pretty clear about his interest in Texas and hasn't seemed concerned about Chiles (who verballed before Brantley). OU's apparently still after 4-star Top 100 dual threat Florida QB Stephen Garcia (who lists playing for the Old Ball Coach as his favorite right now). Otherwise, it looks like 2007 QBs are mostly wrapped up and there aren't any 5-stars in the JUCO bunch.

snp
10/18/2006, 03:18 PM
Sources close to the Fanuzzi family are reporting his dad is really unhappy with the Miami incident and is encouraging his son to decommitt. Matt's older brother went to school at OU, but I don't think that's going to help that much.

There's been some talk of Paulus shopping around as well.

Neither are quite 5 stars, but when you have offers from USC, LSU, Tennesse, Miami, etc, you're good enough for anyone else.

ADs_Agent
10/18/2006, 04:27 PM
my one request is that super star QB's be required to take a Stupid Criminal Acts and Common Sense test before committing. If you fall in the "He who must not be named" category, then you are not allowed in the state of Oklahoma period!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2006, 04:29 PM
1. chip ambres
2. hunter wall
3. jarrod reese...any one of these guys

fwsooner22
10/18/2006, 04:33 PM

The only 5-star left on Bob's radar is John Brantley. You never know but Brantley's been pretty clear about his interest in Texas and hasn't seemed concerned about Chiles (who verballed before Brantley). OU's apparently still after 4-star Top 100 dual threat Florida QB Stephen Garcia (who lists playing for the Old Ball Coach as his favorite right now). Otherwise, it looks like 2007 QBs are mostly wrapped up and there aren't any 5-stars in the JUCO bunch.

Yup............Texas is gonna have five, 5-star Q-B's on campus and they are all gonna be happy..........Wanna Bet.................Somehow, the other shoe is gonna drop and we need to be there to pick it up..........It sure has happened to us plenty of times.............

BASSooner
10/18/2006, 04:38 PM

Rumors are flying around about him decommitting to UT and coming to OU but we'll see. Plus, you guys have 2-3 freshman QBs, I'm pretty sure one of those 5 star QBs will decommitt and go elsewhere.

Soonrs
10/18/2006, 04:41 PM
Chip Ambres won't come back unless Coach Blake is reinstated!

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/ambres-chip.htm

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2006, 04:43 PM
Chip Ambres won't come back unless Coach Blake is reinstated!

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/ambres-chip.htm

he is only 26!! Didnt Weinke come back at 32 or something?

The Maestro
10/18/2006, 05:51 PM
How many stars was Josh Heupel? Or was he so unknown he rated out in crescent moons?

This "4 star", "5 star" crap cracks me up. I can just hear Ed McMahon in the background of Star Search screaming them out for each player.

snp
10/18/2006, 06:35 PM
This "4 star", "5 star" crap cracks me up. I can just hear Ed McMahon in the background of Star Search screaming them out for each player.

And for every Josh Heupel, there's about 50 that didn't pan out. What about guys like Peterson, Kelly, Reggie Smith, etc? It's okay to hate on the stars when it doesn't work, but what about when it does work?

I think every reasonable person knows that rankings aren't the end all of arguements. But unfortunately, us fans are not privy to loads of tape and scout information on these kids. Scout and Rivals are the best sources so we can do some guesses on these guys. Being a 4-5 star does not ensure success, it just implies there's a greater chance of them succeeding. It also implies that other top flight schools are going after the kid. If several other top tier teams thought the kid was worth it, and these colleges aren't going off the star system, then looks like everyone was fooled. It happens from HS to college and it from college to HS. No system is perfect, but it is getting better.

I'm working on breaking down the NFL draft by what stars they were in HS. But that requires me to be less lazy, so it may take a while.

Scott D
10/18/2006, 06:46 PM
I'm working on breaking down the NFL draft by what stars they were in HS. But that requires me to be less lazy, so it may take a while.

I think jkm was playing with that info for awhile before abandoning that project.

OUTrumpet
10/18/2006, 06:50 PM
Halzle will be the starter for next year. He is very skilled, he just hasn't had enough time to grasp the offense. By next season he should be a whole lot more advanced in what he's doing. I don't want another Redshirt Freshman(Bradford) starting for us like Bomar's dumb ***. Bradford is okay, but he isn't ready yet.

Well, the redshirt thing didn't work out so bad for Texas this year, or USC...

Eielson
10/18/2006, 06:54 PM
my one request is that super star QB's be required to take a Stupid Criminal Acts and Common Sense test before committing. If you fall in the "He who must not be named" category, then you are not allowed in the state of Oklahoma period!

Whats Lord Voldemort have to do with this? :rolleyes:

oumartin
10/18/2006, 06:55 PM
I want Jason White

Scott D
10/18/2006, 07:05 PM
Well, the redshirt thing didn't work out so bad for Texas this year, or USC...

to be fair Booty's been at USC longer than Leinart was :)

josh09
10/18/2006, 07:15 PM
halzle is fine with me i like the way he looks

josh09
10/18/2006, 07:15 PM
and that not a gay remark either

Soonrs
10/18/2006, 07:33 PM
I have been really impressed by the way Paul Thompson has progressed this season. He is arguable one of the top QBs in conference. A lot of credit has to go to Coach Heuple and Coach Wilson.

I do wish that they would play Halzle more. He has less than 2 minutes of game experience.

birddog
10/18/2006, 07:45 PM
but so did colt mccoy. surrounding cast is very important to success.

snp
10/18/2006, 08:07 PM
I think jkm was playing with that info for awhile before abandoning that project.

Very reassuring.

emoinwinter
10/18/2006, 08:29 PM
The only thing that worries me is that Halzle didn't have great JUCO stats

TXBOOMER
10/18/2006, 08:40 PM
I hope they get Mike Greco 6-4 225. He transferred to Pearl River CC from North Carolina State. He will be at PRCC until spring 2007, then can transfer with 3 years of eligibility left. We have not offered him yet. He has good wheels, good pocket presence and a strong arm. Bring him in here and Let Josh coach him up.

Notordane already has the Clausen kid who is so good he is ready for the NFL Hall of Fame right now by all accounts and texass has Brantley who is supposedly the other high school stud so I'd like to see them get the JUCO kid above. There is another JUCO kid they have some interest in but his last name is Weed. If he won't legally change his last name I don't want him in here, I don't want to have to hear all the trash talk over the kids last name. Should be interesting.

snp
10/18/2006, 09:04 PM
Greco hurt his non-throwing shoulder a few weeks ago. I think there is more interest in Cade Cooper than Weed.

oupharmer
10/18/2006, 10:07 PM
Anybody have any opinions on Cade Cooper? His stats look pretty good but there's not a lot on him. The romantic in me imagines him as the second comming of JH, but what are the odds...

ADs_Agent
10/18/2006, 10:40 PM
Whats Lord Voldemort have to do with this? :rolleyes:

he doesn't read the field well, but has the potential of being a good option quarterback.

PLaw
10/19/2006, 12:08 AM

Top 5 Team?? HMMM, maybe you haven't read the papers the papers for the past two years. We are, at best, a Top 20 team. By the way the recruiting is looking, we will be lucky to break the Top 25 in two more years. Bottom line is that after the 55 point spanking to SUC, we aren't a sexy choice for HS kids. Look for SUC, T-sips, ND, Bucky, and um to rule over the next five years. Our trendline is not good.

GO SOONERS
PLaw

Scotty
10/19/2006, 01:00 AM
Bottom line is that after the 55 point spanking to SUC, we aren't a sexy choice for HS kids.

Recruiting Classes since 2004(rivals.com):

2006: 9th in nation
2005: 3rd in nation
2004: 8th in nation

I don't think that game hurt our recruiting as much as it did our bully-esque mentality. Recruiting wise we have remained at the top of the class nationally.

Desert Sapper
10/19/2006, 01:51 AM
Top 5 Team?? HMMM, maybe you haven't read the papers the papers for the past two years. We are, at best, a Top 20 team. By the way the recruiting is looking, we will be lucky to break the Top 25 in two more years. Bottom line is that after the 55 point spanking to SUC, we aren't a sexy choice for HS kids. Look for SUC, T-sips, ND, Bucky, and um to rule over the next five years. Our trendline is not good.

GO SOONERS
PLaw

I sense absolutely no defeatism at all in this post. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should cancel the football program. That would be the honorable thing to do. Especially since the recruiting is so bad. I'm writing a letter to Dave Boren. He needs to take action immediately to avoid further embarrassment.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/19/2006, 11:37 AM

GO SOONERS
PLaw

Nick?

Come back off the ledge...

goingoneight
10/19/2006, 09:16 PM
A national power rarely gives chances to true freshman to play. That makes it very easy for OU to recruit a top QB talent. I think they'll go with recruiting a big time QB freshman, however that will also more than likely mean a lot of struggling next year. Ad to that not having peterson and that might create some issues.

However, loosing peterson (though bad for this year) will actually help OU next year. As it was, the backups would have had virtually no experience. Peterson had been taking almost every snap. Now OU will have a running back who is decently experienced next year.

Zach

"spel chek" :cool: