PDA

View Full Version : First they took away dodgeball...

crawfish
10/18/2006, 11:05 AM
Now, tag and touch football?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/18/no.tag.ap/index.html

School bans tag, other chase games

ATTLEBORO, Massachusetts (AP) -- Tag, you're out!

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous. (Watch how second-grader Kelsey interpreted the rule -- 1:30)

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

OklahomaTuba
10/18/2006, 11:08 AM
Nice.

Osce0la
10/18/2006, 11:11 AM
wussification of America

Newbomb Turk
10/18/2006, 11:11 AM
...for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

there's the real issue.

Osce0la
10/18/2006, 11:12 AM
When these kids get older and get into the NFL, there will be a move to have foam padding on the field to cushion the blow when they get tackled...

SCOUT
10/18/2006, 11:19 AM
If I were to ever run for office, I would run on a platform of my "Reasonable Risk" doctrine. The idea is that when you live your life that you are going to be exposed to reasonable risks. Obviously negligence would still be grounds for a suit but it would have to meet a decent standard.

When kids play, there is a chance they are going to be hurt and you cannot hold the school liable. Kids get hurt, it is a fact of life.

If you walk on an icy sidewalk you might fall. It is at your own risk when walking on that icy sidewalk.

Putting coffee between your legs presents a reasonable risk of burning your crotch.

etc.

OklahomaTuba
10/18/2006, 11:25 AM
If I were to ever run for office, I would run on a platform of my "Reasonable Risk" doctrine. The idea is that when you live your life that you are going to be exposed to reasonable risks. Obviously negligence would still be grounds for a suit but it would have to meet a decent standard.

When kids play, there is a chance they are going to be hurt and you cannot hold the school liable. Kids get hurt, it is a fact of life.

If you walk on an icy sidewalk you might fall. It is at your own risk when walking on that icy sidewalk.

Putting coffee between your legs presents a reasonable risk of burning your crotch.

etc.

This would work great if we didn't have a agenda driven system in place to breed the concept of personal responsibility right out of everyone.

IB4OU2
10/18/2006, 11:26 AM
They can still play mumbley peg can't they?

SoonerJack
10/18/2006, 11:30 AM
More evidence that lawyers are ruining our country. What if we were to "donate" a large contingency of them to North Korea? This is a good idea.

BigRedJed
10/18/2006, 11:39 AM
...Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule...
That's ironic. Thanks to your published quote, your namby-pamby offspring is now a prime target for other kids to pick on. Good jorb.

yermom
10/18/2006, 11:40 AM
they should just let them play video games instead :rolleyes:

leavingthezoo
10/18/2006, 11:42 AM
Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

stupidest comment ever. if he feels so threatened he should sit his little fragile butt down and not play the games.

near collisions. geez.

TexasSooner01
10/18/2006, 11:43 AM
Yep....its sad. Kids get into enough trouble with sports to get into. Take away the "chasing Sports" and that leaves them with Ummmmm ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Pretty soon they will ban thinking games b/c someone has to lose!

yermom
10/18/2006, 11:43 AM
stupidest comment ever. if he feels so threatened he should sit his little fragile butt down and not play the games.

near collisions. geez.

he almost got tagged once :P

royalfan5
10/18/2006, 11:44 AM
I remember getting knocked out cold playing either freeze-tag, or Johnny May I cross your River. It didn't harm me.

BigRedJed
10/18/2006, 11:45 AM
If they keep taking away physical activities at recess, pretty soon we'll have a nation of obese kids.

Wait a minute...

yermom
10/18/2006, 11:47 AM
you forgot wussies

i fear for these kids when they grow up, you think people are too sensitive now...

royalfan5
10/18/2006, 11:48 AM
I suppose they don't let kids see how far they can jump out of swings anymore either.

leavingthezoo
10/18/2006, 11:49 AM
he almost got tagged once

oh! well... that changes everything! if they really want to protect him, they'll forbid eye contact, too. the intensity might make him stumble and poke an eye out.

i wonder if bubbles will soon be a school uniform...

mdklatt
10/18/2006, 11:51 AM
near collisions. geez.

Near collisions between airliners: big deal. Near collisions between third-graders: not so much.

TexasSooner01
10/18/2006, 11:51 AM
I suppose they don't let kids see how far they can jump out of swings anymore either.

Nope....My son gets in trouble at school for it on a weekly basis. I just laugh it off. He is a kid, so therefore let him be a kid!:D

mdklatt
10/18/2006, 11:52 AM
A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

Is tag a contact sport?

leavingthezoo
10/18/2006, 11:52 AM
tag, your dead is.

Hatfield
10/18/2006, 11:56 AM
it is going to be awesome when the childrens are required to be in hamster balls at all times.

mdklatt
10/18/2006, 11:56 AM
I was in elementary school when Tron came out, and the big thing to do at recess was take some plastic baseball/kickball bases and throw them at each other like the disc throwing in that movie. That **** hurt.

They made us stop doing that--not because we were getting injured but because it was tearing up the plastic bases. :eek:

leavingthezoo
10/18/2006, 11:58 AM
I was in elementary school when Tron came out, and the big thing to do at recess was take some plastic baseball/kickball bases and throw them at each other like the disc throwing in that movie. That **** hurt.

wimp.

royalfan5
10/18/2006, 11:58 AM
I wonder if scooter soccer is affected by this. It always hurt when I ran over my fingers.

KABOOKIE
10/18/2006, 11:59 AM
This should be in the "Without Democrats" thread.....

BigRedJed
10/18/2006, 11:59 AM
Klatt?

http://www.tronguy.net/TRONcostume/portrait.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/18/2006, 12:00 PM
He should get to kickin' his own ***.

Now.

mdklatt
10/18/2006, 12:01 PM
I don't have a moustache.

KABOOKIE
10/18/2006, 12:07 PM
My eyes.

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2006, 10:41 PM
When these kids get older and get into the NFL, there will be a move to have foam padding on the field to cushion the blow when they get tackled...
Isn't that already a QB rule?

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2006, 10:43 PM
And BTW, my son averages at least one gymnasium or playground injury every year, and i have yet to sue the school or hold them liable; people need to get a freakin' grip and realize that kids will be kids and accidents will happen no matter how much you try to protect them

1stTimeCaller
10/18/2006, 10:51 PM
The pham companies are gonna love this.

When the kids get 2 hours a day at recess and have to just stand there and not burn any energy they're gonna be acting crazy in the school house and bam, everyone of those fuggers is gonna be on some ADD medicine.

Well played Eli-Lily, Pfizer, Merck, et al. Well. Played.

yermom
10/18/2006, 11:03 PM
heh, that's what they said on Slashdot too

this is true, unless they are in hamster balls or something