PDA

View Full Version : Warshing Machines

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 09:10 AM
So I have to buy a new one. Anybody have any recent experiences in the purchase of a washing machine they'd like to share?

No, I'm not buying a Neptune or whatever.

:pop:

Also, I don't need it delivered because, like a true Okie, I have my own pick 'em up truck. If I don't get it delivered, WTF am I supposed to do with the old one? The last time I went through this, I practically had to beg some old washer repair dude to take it from me AND I had to take it to him.

KABOOKIE
10/18/2006, 09:11 AM
A true Okie would just use a scrub board and lye soap.

dolemitesooner
10/18/2006, 09:12 AM
So I have to buy a new one. Anybody have any recent experiences in the purchase of a washing machine they'd like to share?

Don't you mean waRshing machine. The problem with your first wasing machince wash that it didnt have that R in it for proper scRubing.

You really need a good waRshing machine this time so your clothes get nice and clean.

IB4OU2
10/18/2006, 09:13 AM

No, I'm not buying a Neptune or whatever.

:pop:

Also, I don't need it delivered because, like a true Okie, I have my own pick 'em up truck. If I don't get it delivered, WTF am I supposed to do with the old one? The last time I went through this, I practically had to beg some old washer repair dude to take it from me AND I had to take it to him.

Get a Maytag, they cost a little more but last longer.

I_SMELL_FEAR
10/18/2006, 09:18 AM
Tulsa area...lets see...your local roadside dumping area is 36th or 46th st North, between Tulsa and Owasso. take 169 north, exit east go approx. .5 miles....feel free to dump anywhere in this area. :mad:

In all seriousness, there are a couple of dumps on 46th st N, just east of 169 on the south side of the road. One Im pretty sure is just for construction stuff...wood, rock etc...I dont think they take metal, but they might...there is a big sign at the entrance of what they take and what they dont.

Then right down the road about 1/4 mile is the Waste Management dump, I think they take everything...I guess you can take a pickup in there, might want to call first though.

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 09:24 AM
I was thinking I'd get a Whirlpool since they have a plant here and all. Isn't Whirlpool and Maytag the same now? I was thinking Whirlpool bought Maytag.

Why can't I just take my piece of **** to Lowe's? Sonsabitches. :mad:

GottaHavePride
10/18/2006, 09:27 AM
You know, a lot of times they offer free delivery and haul-away service. If that's the case, just let them do it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/18/2006, 09:28 AM
A true hillbilly would roll that thing out back and plant some squarsh in it.

Or fill it with ice and make themselves a giant ice chest for gameday.

Or just keep it and put the new one on top of it. :mack:

colleyvillesooner
10/18/2006, 09:29 AM
You know, a lot of times they offer free delivery and haul-away service. If that's the case, just let them do it.

Best Buy does this I think.

frankensooner
10/18/2006, 09:32 AM
We just got the new Whirlpool Carbio pair and are quite happy.

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 09:33 AM

Yeah, I'll have to see when I get there....I think at Lowe's, unless it's over a certain amount, you have to use your Lowe's card or something.

TopDaugIn2000
10/18/2006, 09:36 AM
Get a Maytag, they cost a little more but last longer.

word.

and don't go for all the digital bells and whistles, it's just more to potentially go wrong.

Beef
10/18/2006, 09:37 AM
I just put my broken appliances out in front of the house and the Messican scavengers come and get them.

IB4OU2
10/18/2006, 09:38 AM
You know if you have alot of problems with stains it can reduce the life of the warsher quite a bit. ;)

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 09:40 AM
The washer I have now I bought when I get my first apartment that had its own washer/dryer hookup and that was over 12 years ago and I bought a cheapie. It still works but it's starting to make a clicking noise when it spins, it's not spinning all the water out and yesterday I noticed some water underneath it. So I'm thinking it has lived a good life and it's time to invest in a new one rather than trying to fix this one.

But I ain't paying $1k for one.

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/18/2006, 09:42 AM
I've always bought Kenmore and I've never, ever been disappointed...

MamaMia
10/18/2006, 10:00 AM
I purchased a Maytag front loader. If I wasn't so old and if Maytags didn't last so long I would get a top loader next time, but I'm afraid this set will outlast me. :)

NormanPride
10/18/2006, 10:04 AM
Aren't front loaders better? I thought they held more or something.

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 10:05 AM
Aren't front loaders better? I thought they held more or something.

As far as I can tell they're supposed to be more efficient, easier on your clothes and have a larger capacity........but they're quite a bit more expensive.

frankensooner
10/18/2006, 11:35 AM
We actually took our front loader back to Lowes, which they gladly accepted in exchange for the Cabrio top loader. Front loaders are harder to load, you have to bend over and cram the clothes in, and harder to unload, you feet get wet when you pull the clothes out and they fall on your feet, plus you have to squart down to get them out. You can get top loaders that are nearly equal in capacity and efficiency, like the CABRIO! ;) JMHO

mrowl
10/18/2006, 11:41 AM
if you read the reviews you wouldn't touch a maytag.

stick with kenmore, sears, etc... and DON'T get the fancy stuff, like said above, its just something that can go wrong.

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 12:37 PM
If you schedule the pick up, the City of Tulsa will come and pick up your old appliances....all you have to do is put it out on the curb.

So yep, I'm putting an old warshing machine in my front yard, hillbillies.

10/18/2006, 12:47 PM
A Maytag repairman recommended Kenmore to me once.

God bless 'em.

frankensooner
10/18/2006, 12:59 PM
If you schedule the pick up, the City of Tulsa will come and pick up your old appliances....all you have to do is put it out on the curb.

Oklahoma City automatically picks up bulky items once a month, you can get the equivalent of 3 fridges picked up for free, and, once again OKC>Tulsa.

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 01:07 PM
Oklahoma City automatically picks up bulky items once a month, you can get the equivalent of 3 fridges picked up for free, and, once again OKC>Tulsa.

So you leave it in the yard until they decide it's time? Pass.

Tulsa>OKC

:D

yermom
10/18/2006, 01:12 PM
I've always bought Kenmore and I've never, ever been disappointed...

why does this sound so dirty?

frankensooner
10/18/2006, 01:14 PM
So you leave it in the yard until they decide it's time? Pass.

Tulsa>OKC

:D
No silly, they let you know when they are coming. ;) Its not like Muskogee! :P

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 01:17 PM
why does this sound so dirty?

You should've read it when it still said 'Ben'.

BeetDigger
10/18/2006, 01:24 PM
I purchased a Maytag front loader. If I wasn't so old and if Maytags didn't last so long I would get a top loader next time, but I'm afraid this set will outlast me. :)

Why does this sound so dirty?

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/18/2006, 01:27 PM

[Fires gun in the air] YEEE HAWWW!!! [/Fires gun in the air]

BeetDigger
10/18/2006, 01:29 PM
As far as I can tell they're supposed to be more efficient, easier on your clothes and have a larger capacity........but they're quite a bit more expensive.

There are now some front loaders that are not that expensive. Our warsher is doing some of the same things as yours. However, it continues to work so I ain't getting rid of it until she goes completely kapuuut. I'm going to buy the one that uses the least amount of water (as long as it does a good jorb). I'm starting to get in touch with the earth (but I ain't driving no Prius).

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 01:30 PM
So, your old lady has to bend over to empty the front end loaders, am I understanding this right?

NormanPride
10/18/2006, 01:58 PM
So, your old lady has to bend over to empty the front end loaders, am I understanding this right?

:hot:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/18/2006, 02:46 PM
The washer I have now I bought when I get my first apartment that had its own washer/dryer hookup and that was over 12 years ago and I bought a cheapie. It still works but it's starting to make a clicking noise when it spins, it's not spinning all the water out and yesterday I noticed some water underneath it. So I'm thinking it has lived a good life and it's time to invest in a new one rather than trying to fix this one.

But I ain't paying $1k for one.Dude, aren't you like 47?

frankensooner
10/18/2006, 02:50 PM
He is younger than me and I ain't 47 yet! ;)

Mjcpr
10/18/2006, 02:57 PM
:les:I GOT A LATE START!

BeetDigger
10/18/2006, 03:15 PM

Which would make her a back end loader.

BeetDigger
10/18/2006, 03:16 PM
Check that, a back end loadee.

SicEmBaylor
10/18/2006, 03:28 PM
Can you have sex on it?

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/18/2006, 03:31 PM

Yes. She would have to bend over.

You, on the other hand, would not.

:rcmad:

I can't believe I'm the one that had to do this...

Preservation Parcels
10/18/2006, 03:48 PM
We bought an LG front loader from Best Buy three years ago. It uses very little water and half the detergent, it handles bigger loads, and it gets the clothes much cleaner than our old top loader. The detergent, bleach, and fabric softener all have their own compartments that get filled at the beginning, and they dispense at the most efficient point in the cycles - no more "uh oh, I missed the Downy." It spins the clothes so dry that it takes only a few minutes in the dryer to finish and fluff them, so it really saves on electricity. The newest models are full size, yet they stack with the dryer. Moving the clothes over isn't any problem at all, even with the side by side. The dryer door is at the same level as the washer door.

With four sons, we average 14 loads of laundry a week, and some of it is disgusting. It was a great investment.

MamaMia
10/18/2006, 04:12 PM
Why does this sound so dirty?Because of the lasting so long part? :P

KC//CRIMSON
10/18/2006, 05:10 PM
Call this guy....

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7416/shoesjeansshortsif3.jpg

GottaHavePride
10/18/2006, 05:22 PM
Yes. She would have to bend over.

You, on the other hand, would not.

:rcmad:

I can't believe I'm the one that had to do this...

Wait, I'm confused... is that a short joke, or a prehensile wang joke?

Either way it's funny.

OUHOMER
10/18/2006, 07:19 PM
Just bought a new washer last week. i went to Sears and their cheaps i saw was $389. So i picked up the wife to check out home depote and decided to stop at Dent and Ding on reno. We got a brand new Maytag for $269.00.
Yes it had a dent on the side but who cares we are frn hillbillys. They had every brand to choose from.

BajaOklahoma
10/18/2006, 07:37 PM
We bought a Whirlpool several years ago, large capacity. It has a touchpad and gives you a digital readout of how long the cycle you chose will take. I love it. No more guessing on how long it will take to complete.

soonerboomer93
10/18/2006, 09:06 PM
Kenmore's are generally actually made by whirlpool (from what i've read).

GottaHavePride
10/18/2006, 09:09 PM
Call this guy....

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7416/shoesjeansshortsif3.jpg

Man... that guy SUCKS at doing laundry.

Mjcpr
10/20/2006, 09:47 PM
Got it boughten, hooked it up, got the old one sittin beside the house 'til Sunday night (Ernest T. Bass?), had a leak, fixed it, good to go.

Kels
10/20/2006, 10:46 PM
The wife and I bought a brand new pair of Maytag Neptunes at Dent & Ding. They normally sell for $2000, but we got them for $1000. They only had a small dent on the side. Turned around and bought a stainless Kitchenaid French door refrigerator and a Maytag Gemini double oven from them as well. All told, we saved over $2500 on all four appliances. The markup on appliances is almost as high as buying furniture. Buy either used or from someone like Dent & Ding.

The Neptunes work great, my wife has health problems, and finds them much easier to use than toploaders. You can find the pedestals cheap if you look around. Don't pay $200 a piece for them.

A friend of mine is an appliance repairman. He told me . . .

Buy Kenmore or Whirpool dishwashers
Buy Maytag or Whirpool washers and dryers
Buy Maytag or Kenmore ovens
Refrigerators aren't such as big deal. Most brands are equal.

He warned me to never buy GE. He said that he has more repair calls for GE than any other brand.

SicEmBaylor
10/20/2006, 10:50 PM
We bought an LG front loader from Best Buy three years ago. It uses very little water and half the detergent, it handles bigger loads, and it gets the clothes much cleaner than our old top loader. The detergent, bleach, and fabric softener all have their own compartments that get filled at the beginning, and they dispense at the most efficient point in the cycles - no more "uh oh, I missed the Downy." It spins the clothes so dry that it takes only a few minutes in the dryer to finish and fluff them, so it really saves on electricity. The newest models are full size, yet they stack with the dryer. Moving the clothes over isn't any problem at all, even with the side by side. The dryer door is at the same level as the washer door.

With four sons, we average 14 loads of laundry a week, and some of it is disgusting. It was a great investment.

Do the dryer and washer doors hinge the same direction? If they go in opposite directions then that'd make it that much easier to move the laundry from one to the other.

****, I should be an engineer.

Preservation Parcels
10/21/2006, 04:54 AM
Do the dryer and washer doors hinge the same direction? If they go in opposite directions then that'd make it that much easier to move the laundry from one to the other.

****, I should be an engineer.

They do go in opposite directions, but the doors meet in the middle instead of opening away from each other like kitchen cabinet doors. Even so, moving laundry is not difficult because both openings are on the same level. It would be better if the washer were on the left and the dryer on the right, but it isn't worth moving the vent and water inlets. I wish you had engineered this house ;)