PDA

View Full Version : Remember Colorado?

The Maestro
10/17/2006, 06:17 PM
How the mighty have fallen.

The glory days began for them when they rolled into Norman my freshman year of 1989. I knew they were going to be good when I watched their linebacker drill in pregame where someone gets in the middle of the circle, points at someone randomly, and then they just ran right into each other. They had some studs, including Darien Hagan, who wanted to be a Sooner, and Eric Bienemy.

The Buffs were the arch-nemesis of Gary Gibbs...and who can forget the game where the Schooner tipped over and Gundy got into a bad altercation...with the concrete-style turf.

I remember marching in with the Colonel for what was by far my favorite day of tailgating at an OU game...too bad we had to play the second half of that one. But when Jajuan Penny caught the TD pass to put us up 17-7 I took a big ol swig of the Colonel's kool aid and loved the dude. Turns out it was just Seagram's 7 and my head was pounding the whole second half. So much for that season.

I also remember the tie in Colorado. Aubrey Beavers got a defensive TD and Kenyon Rasheed decided to fumble that game away. The Buffs kicker tied the game at the end with the ball laying sideways on the ground and he still made the field goal. Disgusting.

But...that was yesteryear. Oh, and my favorite thing about the Buffs? Jokes about Bill McCartney's daughter!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2006, 06:32 PM
I remember they had a beast of a d line with alfred williams and crew

royalfan5
10/17/2006, 06:38 PM
Eric Bienemy was a bad-*** running back. I remember him singlehandly destroying NU in the 4th quarter in the rain in 1990 turning an 12-0 NU lead into 27-12 loss. That started the tailspin that year that included that awful 45-10 game in Norman where Mickey Joseph got the worse end of a collison with a bench.

Blues1
10/17/2006, 06:46 PM
Back in 50's Colorado came SOOOOOOOOO close to stopping our Win Streak....
27 to 19 in 1956 - Behind 19 to 6 at half time -- and one year we won 14 to 13.....at the last minute ..!!!

Never trust the Buffs to go down easy.....I don't care what their record is...!!!

Even though I'm saying 35 to 10 OU --- there are NO Easy games left for this Season...!! -- JMHO....

R'

OUstud
10/17/2006, 07:30 PM
I was watching some of the 1992 game on Classic. First, Ron Franklin sounds EXACTLY the same. Second, it is still really weird to not have the yellow line. Finally, I didn't realize Coker was our OC that year. No wonder we had no offense.