PDA

View Full Version : NCAA gets some of its own medicine

Sooner Eclipse
10/16/2006, 04:34 PM
The WALL STREET JOURNAL: Oct 16, 2006

Who Profits From College Sports?
October 13, 2006; Page W13

Alarm bells usually go off any time the government thinks about taking more money out of people's hands, including the hands at nonprofit organizations. So it's easy to imagine that the National Collegiate Athletics Association freaked out when it received a letter this month from a congressional committee that has been investigating the tax-exempt status of nonprofits.

Writing on Oct. 2 to NCAA President Myles Brand, House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Bill Thomas (R., Calif.) asked enough probing questions to keep Mr. Brand and his university associates busy for ages. They must now scramble to prove that their underlying mission is educational in nature -- the basis on which college-sports revenue traditionally has been sheltered from the taxman. For the average reader, however, the letter contains some bombshells that could make it difficult to have much sympathy for the NCAA and its member schools during their current ordeal under the congressional microscope.

The grilling is already pretty intense. Rep. Thomas notes that under the terms of the NCAA's deal with CBS for broadcast rights to the men's basketball tournament, the organization is set to earn a yearly average of $545 million in tax-free money. Then he asks: "How does the transformation of the NCAA men's basketball championship into commercialized entertainment further the educational purpose of the NCAA and its member institutions?"

Rep. Thomas also brings up the favorable tax treatment that corporations and others can get in return for "sponsorship payments." Then there's the $100 million that the NCAA doles out each year among Division I championship basketball teams. What's the educational purpose of all that?

More to the point, as the letter asks: "From the standpoint of a Federal taxpayer, what BENEFITS does the NCAA provide taxpayers in exchange for its tax exemption?"

Also in the torrent of questions are zingers like this: "Why should the Federal government subsidize the athletic activities of educational institutions when that subsidy is being used to help pay for escalating coaches' salaries, costly chartered travel and state-of-the art athletic facilities?" And what about NCAA reports showing that public universities spent as much as $600,000 per men's basketball player during the 2004-05 school year: "How [does that] further the educational mission of universities?" Congress also wants to know: "What percentage of NCAA revenue is spent by your member institutions on solely academic matters?" And so on.

The letter zeroes in on some familiar criticisms for the NCAA, such as low-graduation rates among athletes -- only 55% for football players at Division I-A schools, Rep. Thomas writes, and 38% for basketball, compared with 64% for all students. In his reply, Mr. Brand undoubtedly will cite some signs of improvement, particularly with regard to graduation rates among black athletes -- the students most often victims of schools that want their players' touchdowns and baskets without having to give them an education.

A general, initial response to the congressional letter came from NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson. "We simply disagree with the fundamental assertion that intercollegiate athletics is not part of higher education," he told the Chronicle of Higher Education this week. Let's hope Mr. Brand doesn't try to rest his case on that bland assertion. In a battle like this one, the NCAA will need a large and powerful roster of convincing details to prevail.

In the end this cant be good for individual athletic departments but it is good to see a little heat on the NCAA's policies and practices for a change.

Anybody think Boren is any part of this?

TopDawg
10/16/2006, 04:56 PM
Very interesting.

SoonerLB
10/16/2006, 05:10 PM
The NCAA and Congress both in the same room? Oh no! Now they will have to shorten games even more and fly commercial so they can pay off Congressmen! ;)

SoonerRoads
10/16/2006, 05:25 PM
We all know how the NCAA can be(overly officious, controlling, bureaucratic, overbearing...the list goes on and on) so I am happy to see that someone is taking a long look at their activities. I played ball in college with a guy who became the NCAA prosecuting attorney in actions against the NCAA schools. After a short time, he had enough of the NCAA and decided to use the experience he had gained in their tactics, to open his own firm, where he now represents the schools in actions that the NCAA brings against them. Kudos to whomever suggested that Congress take a look at how the NCAA conducts their business.

What was it that Bosworth called them? Not far off.

Boomer Sooner

soonerloyal
10/16/2006, 06:27 PM
Blame it on Bush. Isn't Dubya eventually responsible for all the world's ills?

Actually, I'd love to see the NCAA get their 'nuts roasted, but doubt it'll happen in the foreseeable future. The kids who do all the hard work will continue to be exploited, and the NCAA will continue to dance nekkid around the golden cash cow with no real oversight.

But look on the bright side...more of our hard-earned tax dollahs are being eaten up in a pathetic attempt by Congress to LOOK productive.

Quote: More to the point, as the letter asks: "From the standpoint of a Federal taxpayer, what BENEFITS does the NCAA provide taxpayers...?"
I'm asking the same thing about Congress in general, but what do I know?

Bccajun
10/17/2006, 04:13 PM
Blame it on Bush. Isn't Dubya eventually responsible for all the world's ills?

Bush gave me a tax break what did the last one before him give you? Raised mine.
Thanks
Mr Bush

TopDawg
10/17/2006, 04:36 PM
This thread has to have the lowest "total-posts-per-poster" ratio of any thread with at least 5 posts.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/17/2006, 04:52 PM
A well-timed donation to Mr. Thomas' re-election committee will make this go away.

Sooner_Bob
10/17/2006, 04:56 PM
First steroids in MLB and now the NCAA.

No wonder Congress never gets anything that actually resembles politics accomplished.

boomrsoonr
10/17/2006, 05:01 PM
This thread has to have the lowest "total-posts-per-poster" ratio of any thread with at least 5 posts.

Ha ha! Noobs sticking together?

goingoneight
10/17/2006, 07:47 PM
Bush gave me a tax break what did the last one before him give you? Raised mine.
Thanks
Mr Bush

And he raised your gas prices and got back involved in Sr.'s mess with Iraq... just sayin'.

Good Bush, though for standing tall when we needed leadership during OUr nation's worst attack to date.

PLaw
10/17/2006, 11:10 PM
Boz had it right. Between congress and the NCAA bofo's, I can't imagine that many communist in the same room.

So how does SUC have Jarret playing this year (after paying restitution) and Bush getting free rent? With the SUC history, they should be nailed with at least a slap on the wrist.

If that was OU, then there would be penalties flying faster than a NY minute. Really, p-o'd that we are being investigated for Bomass and Quinn after the way Coach handled the situation. Talk about institutional control, then go look at SUC.

Boomer

ou4me
10/17/2006, 11:21 PM
First steroids in MLB and now the NCAA.

No wonder Congress never gets anything that actually resembles work accomplished, and all they every play is politics.

Fixed! YWIA. :)