PDA

View Full Version : Typical 'Cane alumni

boomrsoonr
10/16/2006, 02:55 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6068524

MIAMI (AP) - Comments made by TV analyst and former Miami player Lamar Thomas during a sideline-clearing brawl involving the Hurricanes (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/team/86056) and Florida International (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/team/86327) will be edited out before the game is replayed later this week.

Thomas may also lose his job with Comcast Sports SouthEast, a regional cable network available in 5.5 million homes.
"We will take appropriate disciplinary action," CSS general manager Mark Fuhrman said Monday. The network will replay the game Wednesday.
Thomas made his comments as dozens of Miami and FIU players stormed the Orange Bowl field and fought during the third quarter of their teams' game Saturday night, an incident that led to the suspension of at least 31 players and forced officials from both schools to publicly apologize for the melee.
"Now, that's what I'm talking about," Thomas said as the brawl raged out of control. "You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playing that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing."
Miami and Florida International (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/team/86327) have campuses 9 miles apart in Miami-Dade County. It was the first meeting between the two programs, and the Hurricanes (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/team/86056) went on to win 35-0.
As the fight slowed, Thomas' comments continued.
"I say, why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel after the ball game and get it on some more? You don't come into the OB, baby," Thomas said. "We've had a down couple years but you don't come in here talking smack. Not in our house."
A tape of the fight, including Thomas' comments, was available on the Internet on Sunday and Monday. The game was available for viewing Saturday night on a pay-per-view basis.
"We do not support or condone any of the comments that were made by Lamar," Fuhrman said.
Thomas was a third-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1993 and spent six seasons in the NFL, three with the Bucs and three with the Miami Dolphins.
He has a Gainesville address, but there was no listed telephone number for him in that area. He could not be reached Monday.
Fuhrman said CSS will consult with Miami officials before determining what action should be taken.
"The university recommends talent for the broadcast, but we ultimately will make the decision," Fuhrman said.

okieballin
10/16/2006, 03:08 PM
i heard the replay on that. he didn't even sound like a commentator. he sounded more like a ghetto rat, than a paid professional. a true "thug u" product.

The Maestro
10/16/2006, 03:13 PM
What was funny was how obviously uncomfortable the poor play by play guy was. You could tell he was some suburbanite that just wanted to call football games for a living and the next thing you know he has a color guy giving a shout out to his posse, yo!

I just think this image that JIMMY JOHNSON birthed at the 1987 Fiesta Bowl when Miami showed up in fatigues has only grown. From Jimmy to Erickson to Davis and now Coker, the coaches can fight it but the image of "The U" is stuck with the players that come to that school and the alumni that were the same way. Well, except for Bernie Kosar. He's kind of a goober.

Kels
10/16/2006, 03:19 PM
The thing I can't understand is this, Coker is really a good guy. He's from Okemah, a Christian man, and personally wouldn't condone that kind of behavior. Is the pull of the U so strong that he can't discipline his own players?

There wasn't that kind of stuff happening with his players when he was an assistant at OU or OSU.

I just don't get it.

n8v_ndn
10/16/2006, 03:25 PM
The problem is the quality of the people going into the program, not so much the coach. Coach Coker doesn't ooze charisma, so I don't see him working against that 'You can take a rat out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the rat' mindset.

Sportsmanship is about as common as 2 week old black ice down there

DarrellZero
10/16/2006, 03:42 PM
Thomas sounds like the "evil" broadcaster from WWE.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/16/2006, 04:03 PM
EETS all bout DIs U

j_s_ou_1
10/16/2006, 04:06 PM
OU can do fine without peterson, look at stoops record without him. Forget the fact those are completely different teams. We're gonna kill everyone cause that is our right and when anyone bad mouths us like we do them, they are just rude and completely out of line. Sooner Magic is great....this year we haven't had any, so it's a conspiracy. We love calls going our way and would never give up an unearned win, but we better make every team that plays us that gets good calls do it. Seriously, you wonder why people cant wait to take shots at ou fans, it's because they are the biggest hypocrites to walk the face of the earth. You do whatever you want in bad mouthing other teams and cheating them from wins, but when its the other way around, it's so wrong. Get a grip and I hope you enjoy the rest of your season.....and like somebody said, thank god it wasn't thompson that went down.....idiots.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/16/2006, 04:11 PM
OU can do fine without peterson, look at stoops record without him. Forget the fact those are completely different teams. We're gonna kill everyone cause that is our right and when anyone bad mouths us like we do them, they are just rude and completely out of line. Sooner Magic is great....this year we haven't had any, so it's a conspiracy. We love calls going our way and would never give up an unearned win, but we better make every team that plays us that gets good calls do it. Seriously, you wonder why people cant wait to take shots at ou fans, it's because they are the biggest hypocrites to walk the face of the earth. You do whatever you want in bad mouthing other teams and cheating them from wins, but when its the other way around, it's so wrong. Get a grip and I hope you enjoy the rest of your season.....and like somebody said, thank god it wasn't thompson that went down.....idiots.

She gives me MONEYYY!! WHEN IM IN NEEEEEDD

freshchris05
10/16/2006, 05:24 PM

f*ckin genius!...

The Maestro
10/16/2006, 05:29 PM
WOW! Great column written by Bill Curry. The more I hear from this guy the more I think he should be doing more coverage of sports in general. This was an incredible piece!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=curry_bill&id=2628276

GregJackP
10/16/2006, 08:23 PM
Thomas sounds like the "evil" broadcaster from WWE.
Well, he's gone now - supposedly the broadcaster fired him, according to ESPN.

AlbqSooner
10/16/2006, 08:37 PM
I just think this image that JIMMY JOHNSON birthed at the 1987 Fiesta Bowl when Miami showed up in fatigues has only grown. From Jimmy to Erickson to Davis and now Coker, the coaches can fight it but the image of "The U" is stuck with the players that come to that school and the alumni that were the same way. Well, except for Bernie Kosar. He's kind of a goober.
It started before that. When Miami played at OU in '85, as the Sooners exited the tunnel, the entire Thug team ran to the middle of the field smack talking and taunting as the Sooners made their entry. Bosworth had to be restrained. This crap has been typical of Miami for a long time, and unfortunately, it is merely a reflection of the city which is home to the university.

sooneron
10/16/2006, 08:40 PM
water is wet