PDA

View Full Version : So, this judge candidate came and talked at skool today

Okla-homey
10/16/2006, 02:44 PM
here's the dealio.

In this great state, in case you haven't noticed, the powers what be long-ago decreed we Okies get to vote for our judges -- I concept with which I am not completely comfortable.

Anyhoo said judicial candidates feel compelled therefore to litter the countryside with yard signs, publish flyers and press the flesh.

Problem is, the candidates are constrained by the Canons of Judicial Ethics from discussing how they feel about issues -- not even their flippin' party affiliation! Therefore, these races become little more than beauty contests and more about who raises the most money and support among the legal community.

IOW, the guys and gals who will advocate/litigate in front of the winners, are the folks who are primarily responsible for them being on the bench through their campaign donations. Doesn't that seem kinda wacky?

If everyone gets to vote, then WTF aren't these judge-wannabes allowed to share with the voters how they feel about stuff? Would someone for the love of all that's holy please 'splain this to me?

JohnnyMack
10/16/2006, 02:56 PM
I want a DA and some judges that aren't a bunch of liberal pansies who like to plead everything out.

KaiserSooner
10/16/2006, 03:00 PM
I'm not all that comfortable with electing judges either.

JohnnyMack
10/16/2006, 03:01 PM
It's not the electing part, it's like Homey said, it's that they can't campaign on issues.

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 03:04 PM
well.....i can tell you that if a county feels like they arent getting from their judge what they oughta be.....they'll vote him/her out

having said that......if you're registered in Kingfisher county, you'd be wise to pull the lever for the incumbent

JohnnyMack
10/16/2006, 03:05 PM
Are you glad to be almost done with that? Or is it kinda fun?

1stTimeCaller
10/16/2006, 03:06 PM
I vote 'No' on the part of the ballot that asks if we should retain judges. Everytime, all the time.

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2006, 03:06 PM
I agree with your complaints on electing judges.
I think the retention system is a decent middle ground between appointments and elections.

Anyway,
It was especially maddening when we would have our candidate endorsement interviews and bring these guys into a room to question them for a possible endorsement. Damned near everything we asked couldn't be discussed.

I never saw the point in issuing judicial endorsements at all. The exception to that was Justice Steven Wayne Smith of the Texas Supreme Court who did a good job at answering questions by stating his judicial philosophy on the subject (but not the details).

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2006, 03:07 PM
well.....i can tell you that if a county feels like they arent getting from their judge what they oughta be.....they'll vote him/her out

having said that......if you're registered in Kingfisher county, you'd be wise to pull the lever for the incumbent

Hah, I'm giving you spek for that even if you did neg me today.

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2006, 03:09 PM
I vote 'No' on the part of the ballot that asks if we should retain judges. Everytime, all the time.

That's precisely what I do now.
The way I used to do it depended on whether we had a Republican or Democratic governor.

I would always vote to remove if we had a GOP governor in hopes that their replacement would be a Democrat. On the other hand, if the govenror were a Democrat there'd be no damned point in removing them becuase their replacement would definitely be a Democrat.

mdklatt
10/16/2006, 03:13 PM
Would someone for the love of all that's holy please 'splain this to me?

This state is ****ed up. YWIA.

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 03:14 PM
so if you have a judge that is serving the county well......no reason to unseat the judge, you'd do it anyway just for the sport of it?

i'd rather elect judges than have lifetime appointments......the folks in the rural counties sure as heck know the judge and are smart enough to know whether the judge needs to stay or go

frankensooner
10/16/2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah, it is great having Judges on the Higher courts who are green and don't have a clue. In Oklahoma, the bench is not known for being activist at all. They apply the law. Guess who writes the law and generally who said laws are written for? You Nincompoops who vote not to retain really are asking for trouble.

Viking Kitten
10/16/2006, 03:22 PM
Homey, did the judge talk about the Republican Party of Minnesota v. White decision and whether the revised Oklahoma judicial ethics rules have had an affect on the campaigns this year?

picasso
10/16/2006, 03:23 PM
I never know what judge to vote for cept the time my brother dated a chick who's sis was a judge and told us wha was good and who wasn't.

that and that one dude with the Swedish penis enlarger thing. I didn't vote for him that one time.

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 03:24 PM
my aunt has been on the bench in kingfisher county for 12 years....lived there practically her adult life......there are examples where this works

JohnnyMack
10/16/2006, 03:32 PM
Homey, did the judge talk about the Republican Party of Minnesota v. White decision and whether the revised Oklahoma judicial ethics rules have had an affect on the campaigns this year?

Check out the big brain on VK.

Viking Kitten
10/16/2006, 03:40 PM
What? Who? Nah, I just copied and pasted that from somewhere.

frankensooner
10/16/2006, 03:47 PM
If you want to know how a judge stands on issues, read his or her published opinions (appellate judges mind you). Why do people have to be spoon fed?

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 03:59 PM
i'm still curious to know how VK figured out the connection with the judge in Kingfisher county! :)

Viking Kitten
10/16/2006, 04:01 PM
Some might call it stalking. I just call it paying attention. :D

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 04:04 PM
lol......i just wondered if you had actually met her, heard her speak or just saw a campaign sign

not a big deal

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 04:08 PM
i'll take stalking for $500 alex..... ;)

Viking Kitten
10/16/2006, 04:12 PM
"What is 'The Rapist'?"

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 04:12 PM
Anal bum cover!

Viking Kitten
10/16/2006, 04:20 PM
"Below me, Trebek"

1stTimeCaller
10/16/2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah, it is great having Judges on the Higher courts who are green and don't have a clue. In Oklahoma, the bench is not known for being activist at all. They apply the law. Guess who writes the law and generally who said laws are written for? You Nincompoops who vote not to retain really are asking for trouble.

don't worry about losing you job there skippy. It seems that they always get ratained by about 85% of the lemming population.

I'm gonna guess the legislature and the People.

what do I win?

Okla-homey
10/16/2006, 06:04 PM

She was a candidate (cute too). Anyway, yes, we discussed that case after she spoke. Sounds like the MN GOP is making a pretty decent argument claiming First Amendment rights to free speech. I hope it is interpreted as broadly as possible in OK.

I just wanted to know how she felt about no-fault divorce in Oklahoma. She was all ethic-y and wouldn't discuss it.:(

Okla-homey
10/16/2006, 06:08 PM
If you want to know how a judge stands on issues, read his or her published opinions (appellate judges mind you). Why do people have to be spoon fed?

But when we're talking county judges, unless they really scroo the pooch bigtime like that goober in Creek Co. years ago who announced "there is no right of due process in Oklahoma" you're still in the dark. Frankly, I know who the bar likes in Tulsa, but Joe Six-pack may have other druthers.