PDA

View Full Version : Concrete sidewalk/patio question

OUDoc
10/16/2006, 01:26 PM
If the boards are splintered or missing, what type of wood would you replace them with? Does it matter? Do you really need those boards to keep out moisture/ice/etc or are they unnecessary once the concrete sets up?

1stTimeCaller
10/16/2006, 01:38 PM
where are the boards at?

1stTimeCaller
10/16/2006, 01:41 PM
if they are the boards that run perpindicular to the sidewalk about every 4 or five feet or so I'd say that they are unnecessary and mor decorative than anything else. The joints are put there to give the concrete a place to break and crack and keep the cracks off of the walking surface and I think the boards are there to hide the joint and make the entire walking surface level.

MamaMia
10/16/2006, 01:42 PM
Do you have photos?

OUDoc
10/16/2006, 02:04 PM
Do you have photos?
Yes, but not of the sidewalk. :eek: ;)

if they are the boards that run perpindicular to the sidewalk about every 4 or five feet or so I'd say that they are unnecessary and mor decorative than anything else. The joints are put there to give the concrete a place to break and crack and keep the cracks off of the walking surface and I think the boards are there to hide the joint and make the entire walking surface level.
Yes, 1TC, those boards. My post wasn't real clear on that.:O

OUAndy1807
10/16/2006, 02:11 PM
I would pull them out and have someone come back and caulk the joints. It's a lot nicer looking.

1stTimeCaller
10/16/2006, 02:11 PM
you could try your local lumber yard and tell them what you have going on and they could recommend something to you or you could call local concrete contractors and ask them.

I've never built a sidewalk that had the boards in it so I have no idea other than it's probably not balsa, birdseye maple or black walnut.

OUDoc
10/16/2006, 02:14 PM
I would pull them out and have someone come back and caulk the joints. It's a lot nicer looking.
That's a good idea.

OUAndy1807
10/16/2006, 08:11 PM
I could probably hook you up with a caulker who would do the work for cheap (cash) and do a good job if you live around OKC.

10/16/2006, 08:55 PM
Depends on the sidewalk. Rebar in the original? If you are talking about the spacers between sidewalk sections, they are probably doing their job even with deterioration.

Condescending Sooner
10/17/2006, 08:38 AM
The wood was just placed there to create expansion joints. There is no need for replacement.